The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheltenham Dark Horses

3 posters

Go down

Cheltenham Dark Horses Empty Cheltenham Dark Horses

Post by racingnut Thu 27 Feb 2014, 1:47 pm

The big names are everyones lips come festival time,we all have our own opinions as to the so called "good things" but these are normally the better known inmates of what are more often than not the big yards on both sides of the water.Thats fine,no wrong in that but in certain events I like to look outside of the ball park,try to find one or two that are overpriced,slipped under the radar or however you choose to phrase it.This season has been difficult in that the ground conditions on offer from virtually day one have offered little to those who aren't mudlarks and many trainers with ones who yearn for better ground have had to have the patience of Job.Ive been waiting for one runner to re-emerge from the best known yard in the country since he made the most promising of racecourse debuts in November,PORT MELON ran in the graded 2m5 hurdle at jumping HQ during the Open meeting and left me with a big impression.Big,scopey individual with a floaty action for a jumper,he did all that could be expected on his Rules debut in finishing a ultra promising third to Creepy,form which I agree wont pull any trees up but ive seen enough racing over the years to know that the best horse in any given field isn't always the one who comes out victorious.I made a little comment in my trusty blackbook "will turn out the best of this field in time" and I will stand by that,it may not be this season,he may come into his own over fences next year it just the combination of his breeding(he MUST get better with age),the likely sounder surface(Presentings love decent ground) ,the promise he showed on debut,the time hes had to get over his run and the vast amount of patience Paul Nicholls has shown in not running him on the ploughed fields that have doubled up as racecourses can imo only help this most likeable individual.He holds entries in both the staying novices and is stupid prices for both(50s or bigger) and at those odds I just cant resist.Win lose or draw please,please,please remember the name.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham Dark Horses Empty Re: Cheltenham Dark Horses

Post by sportform Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:23 pm

There could be a dark horse running in the opening race of the Festival on Tuesday in the shape of Wilde Blue Yonder. The Alan King-trained horse could be an interesting runner at a bigger price. Has had three runs over hurdles, won on his debut at Newbury before falling when clear at the final flight in his last two runs. If he says up, and it is a big 'if', he could be a decent each way bet.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:00 pm

I see a few Glasgow players have been sent back for this weekend so is that an indication of who's in contention next Sunday or is it just because it's a free weekend of 6N meaning Glasgow want as strong a team as possible for Ulster game?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down