The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of Playing Again - Am I A Bit Nuts?? Or Too Old??? Advice Needed Please.

+10
rodders
Bodie Wales
alive555
doctor_grey
Biltong
broadlandboy
Allty
Shifty
jimbopip
Mr Bounce
14 posters

Go down

Thinking of Playing Again - Am I A Bit Nuts?? Or Too Old??? Advice Needed Please. Empty Thinking of Playing Again - Am I A Bit Nuts?? Or Too Old??? Advice Needed Please.

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm

I have been bitten by the rugby bug again (thanks to the 6 Nations & last year's Lions Tour...), and am considering taking up the game again. However there are several reasons that go against my idea, most of which are sound reasons to leave it well alone. I would therefore appreciate some input from people's own personal experiences and of those at their club if you're still playing.

Pro's:

A great way to get fit again.
My local rugby club has 2 sides I would be eligible for.
I love the game and am enthusiastic.
Club camaraderie and a great way to meet new people.

Cons:

I have not played since 1989.
I am almost 42.
I am extremely unfit (this will obviously be worked on before undertaking any potential rugby training)
Levels of competetivity in the veterans' games - would I be eaten alive?
Have been injured in the past - anterior cruciate problems in my 20s and 2 minor shoulder ops in the past 6 years. I won't heal as quickly now.
I used to play front row at school. Am probably too small for prop now (5ft 8in, not especially wide) and have never had much pace for the backrow or backs.
Mrs Bounce won't like it. She is squeamish and fiercely protective of my (currently uninjured) body.
The pace of the game has changed significantly in the past 25 years.

I could go on, but I won't. I suppose I could turn up to training each week but as a non-selectable player (do such things exist?) just to keep fit and injury-free, but would this be worth it? I need your help.  thumbsup 

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Thinking of Playing Again - Am I A Bit Nuts?? Or Too Old??? Advice Needed Please. Empty Re: Thinking of Playing Again - Am I A Bit Nuts?? Or Too Old??? Advice Needed Please.

Post by jimbopip Fri 07 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm

Bounce, you're just a lad. 42? Barely past puberty.
Seriously: get fit first. Don't be too worried about aerobic fitness, look to build up your core strength to begin with. The best advice I could give would be to get a personal trainer. I know I'm very fortunate as Bigson works with me for nothing, but the focussed, directed sessions are much more efficient than running round the pitches.
Secondly, go to training and join in the non-contact stuff. This will let you know if you want to play with them. Also they'll ask you when they need you, which is no bad thing.
Thirdly, I'm thirteen years older than you but about the same height, at 13 and a bit stone not too wide either, on Saturday I played the last twenty in the second row because our 6ft 4 first team regular flanker needed to come out as it was hurting him! If word gets out that you're willing to play in the front row they'll jump at you. Though I would keep quiet about it for as long as possible.
Finally enjoy! Keep us informed as to your decision.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Thinking of Playing Again - Am I A Bit Nuts?? Or Too Old??? Advice Needed Please. Empty Re: Thinking of Playing Again - Am I A Bit Nuts?? Or Too Old??? Advice Needed Please.

Post by Shifty Fri 07 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm

Do a bit of swimming to build yourself up quietly. Just make sure your in the seconds and out of the way of all the rough stuff!

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:01 pm

[quote="Mr Bounce"]I have been becially wide) and have never had much pace for the backrow or backs.
Mrs Bounce won't like it. She is squeamish and fiercely protective of my (currently uninjured) body.
The pace of the game has changed significantly in the past 25 years.

I could go on, but I won't. I suppose I could turn up to training each week but as a non-selectable player (do such things exist?) just to keep fit and injury-free, but would this be worth it? I need your help.  thumbsup [/quote]

I would be very careful. Have a full medical with your GP explaining why..

Look for another less violent team non contact sport Volley Ball, etc.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:29 pm

Started playing touch at 40 in the summer then went to training,mainly to keep fit & ended up playing. Unfortunately now unable to play due to injury( not rugby related). Dont know how well you know local club but go to support a match & find out a bit most likely will be welcomed to training taking part in what you feel comfortable with. If you feel up to playing you will probably find out you are not the oldest player. Go for it

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 11 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

Well ladies & gents I have had a chat with the Doctor and the answer was a resounding "Don't do it". Apparently my shoulder problems are slightly more complex than I thought and any major impact will result in a recurrence of my previous issues; not something I wish to return to. My Doc is a big rugby fan - turns out she's rather fond of Jamie Heaslip...

I am afraid the only likelihood of me turning out for my local seniors team will be as water boy. Oh well... Thanks for your replies and support.  Smile

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:53 am

Mr Bounce, if you feel you still want to play rugby and your miss the brotherhood and camaraderie that rugby brings there are still ways to stay involved.

1. Join a social league, where you don't play full contact rugby, you can play 10 minutes if that is all you can do and the rules are different.
2. alternatively, go to your nearest school or club and get involved in coaching the little ones.

Either way you will get a lot of satisfaction out of doing it. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:42 am

Cheers Biltong - I may do just that. And my friends' little one (5 years old!) is eager to start so I would love to be involved in his development. he's quite gobby so I am thinking scrum half although he says he wants to be a 10. We shall see...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 12 Feb 2014, 9:57 am

broadlandboy wrote:Started playing touch at 40 in the summer then went to training,mainly to keep fit & ended up playing. Unfortunately now unable to play due to injury( not rugby related). Dont know how well you know local club but go to support a match & find out a bit  most likely will be welcomed to training taking part in what you feel comfortable with. If you feel up to playing you will probably find out you are not the oldest player. Go for it
Touch is a great idea.  For my club, it started as a way to stay in shape during the summer and evolved rapidly to include players from the youth, men's, women's, and old boys sides. Now includes some people who don't play Rugby any more and even some who never have.  We play all year now over here, at least when not too snow covered (like now).   Even had about 25 people out on New Year's Day.  It is a great game on its own and a terrific workout.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:12 pm

I know of a 62 year old who plays every week. Must me barking mad  boxing 

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodie Wales Wed 12 Feb 2014, 9:35 pm

If it’s the getting involved part you want why not consider coach the young teams or even consider becoming a referee the game is crying out for more reffs for the lower level games

Bodie Wales

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:50 am

Gees would love to make it back in some way too, at 33 I always think its too late, especially as an outside back, but its inspiring to hear about much (much Smile) elder folks than myself giving it a go.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 10:17 am

Rodders, my boy, 33 is nothing. Get your young pup posterior back on the pitch. Doctor's orders.
This stupid sport has kept me going from the time I was a wee lad through school, uni, med school, army postings, marriage, kids, and 1 million injuries. Finishing my latest recovery and the hard workouts start now. Again. Never too late.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 13 Feb 2014, 10:43 am

Sure 34 would be time enough to return then Doc!... Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:38 am

Perfect!
Would be a great birthday present to yourself. I would be happy to welcome you back into the fraternity of the mentally unhinged!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 15 Feb 2014, 3:29 pm

alive555 wrote:I know of a 62 year old who plays every week. Must me barking mad  boxing 
Damn you, now you've given me someone to compete with. Only another seven seasons then. Shocked 

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadBetweenthePosts Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:15 pm

rodders wrote:Gees would love to make it back in some way too, at 33 I always think its too late, especially as an outside back, but its inspiring to hear about much (much Smile) elder folks than myself giving it a go.  

No such thing as too old for the City of Derry Mighty 3s and Fantastic 4s Rodders! It's good old fashioned social rugby  Hug

ReadBetweenthePosts

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:27 am

ReadBetweenthePosts wrote:
rodders wrote:Gees would love to make it back in some way too, at 33 I always think its too late, especially as an outside back, but its inspiring to hear about much (much Smile) elder folks than myself giving it a go.  

No such thing as too old for the City of Derry Mighty 3s and Fantastic 4s Rodders! It's good old fashioned social rugby  Hug

...hmm maybe ...sure let me know when preseason starts sure ....  Cool 
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 18 Feb 2014, 3:51 pm

Firstly go along to the club and see what they think.

After that, take the summer to get fit first, seriously. Then give it a try.

PS If you're Scottish eligible please come up to Murrayfield ASAP or fly to Rome for the weekend. Cheers.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by charliehesketh Sat 22 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

Whilst I would be wary of encouraging people to ignore medical advice, I have usually found that GP's (general doctors) know very little about the physiology of rugby, and sometimes give rather unhelpful and inaccurate advice.

Of course you need to be sure that you are fit and well to play, and that any medical issues do not exclude this.  As I'm sure you know, this will mean training specific to rugby, then very short to progressively longer periods playing.

I am 45, and our 4th/vets team has players from their teens up to their fifties, some of whom play the whole game, some play a fairly limited number of minutes.  Sometimes people don't play if they have a niggling injury, but everyone is included and involved.

I have found physios/osteopaths generally better help in keeping the body in a state so that I can continue playing.  Added to that, some common-sense things such as stretching and using boot lifts for temperamental Achilles.  I play prop and have a dodgy left shoulder, so tend to play tighthead, and have team-mates with dodgy right shoulders, who usually play loosehead.

Many older players also play a part coaching the youngsters, which I feel has benefits in both directions.  Can't wait for the day when my 14 year old son can play with me, although he will really be too good for us old farts.  Interestingly, he can't wait either.

Hope you find a way to get involved and that you enjoy it !

charliehesketh

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:45 pm

Mr B, talk to the youth and minis about coaching, admin, first aid or any of the thousand other jobs that need doing and you'll find a niche no problem - there's something very rewarding in taking a group of children into the game.
Regarding the playing, have a word with the captain/coach of the lowest adult team, ask if you can train with them for a few sessions and then see how it goes - progress to the odd guest appearance if you feel up to it.
Do make sure that you join a side with a good social part to it though!
If you really can't do a proper season why not organise a "Coaches and Dads" V the 4ths game as a once a year event - just make sure you have a few younger and fitter lads from the 1sts willing to become honourary coaches!   Very Happy

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down