The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pete Seeger Has Died

2 posters

Go down

Pete Seeger Has Died Empty Pete Seeger Has Died

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:45 am

Pete Seeger, one of the most iconic folk artists of the post war era has died, aged 94.

As a member of The Weavers in the 1950's, his music was banned during the McCarthy anti-communist witch hunts. In the 1960's, Seeger went solo and wrote songs like "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?", a powerful anti war song, "Turn, Turn, Turn" which was covered by The Byrds later in the decade and "If I Had a Hammer", made more famous by Trini Lopez, also in the 1960's

He popularised the spiritual "We Shall Overcome", along with Joan Baez, and made it into the anthem of the Civil Rights Movement in America. He also joined the anti-Vietnam War protest movement, putting into words the feelings of an entire American generation.

It would take far too long to list all of his achievements, awards, popular ballads and songs and all the other things he achieved in his lifetime.

He was still musically active right up to the time of his death, yesterday, in New York City.

Some folks want to be like an ostrich,
Bury their heads in the sand.
Some hope that plastic dreams
Can unclench all those greedy hands.
Some hope to take the easy way:
Poisons, bombs. They think we need 'em.
Don't you know you can't kill all the unbelievers?
There's no shortcut to freedom.

Go tell, go tell all the little children.
Tell all the mothers and fathers too.
Now's our last chance to learn to share
What's been given to me and you.

Anti Vietnam War protest song.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Pete Seeger Has Died Empty Re: Pete Seeger Has Died

Post by Rowley Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 am

Was blissfully unaware of Seeger until Springsteen's Seeger Sessions album some years ago, but became more familiar with his work and music from that point. Quite a man and quite an artist. Shamelessly targetted in the McCarthy era witch hunt which led to him almost being outcast and unemployable in the US. Despite this he maintained his principles and stood up for what he believed in. RIP to one the true greats.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down