The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales U20s: Squad for 6 Nations

+5
Jhamer25
welshy824 (new)
munkian
international197
The Saint
9 posters

Go down

Wales U20s: Squad for 6 Nations Empty Wales U20s: Squad for 6 Nations

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:36 am

The squad is not as experienced as past squads, though they do have the advantage of playing a lot of games together through U18 level against strong opposition. There are 8 surviving members from last years JWC finalists, mostly fringe players as far as I know. Hughes is names as captain, and from what I seen of him last season he was unimpressive. Maybe there are some of you who have watched these guys in the premiership and can shed some light.

Forwards: Nicky Smith, Nicky Thomas (both Ospreys), Leon Crump, Callum Lewis, (both Blues), Benjamin Leung (Scarlets), Ethan Lewis (Blues), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Scott Otten (Swansea), James Sheekey (Blues), Shaun O'Rourke (Ospreys), Joshua Helps (Scarlets), Joe Davies (Dragons), Will Boyde (Carmarthen), Rob Dudley-Jones (Swansea), Scott Matthews, Ollie Griffiths, James Benjamin (all Dragons)

Backs: Tom Williams (Blues), Luc Jones (Dragons), Connor Lloyd (Scarlets), Luke Price (Ospreys), Ethan Davies (Dragons), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets), Garyn Smith (Blues), Harri Evans (RGC), Aled Summerhill (Blues), Joshua Adams (Scarlets), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Ashton Hewitt (Dragons), Steffan Evans (Scarlets), Afon Bagshaw (RGC)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25718497

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Wales U20s: Squad for 6 Nations Empty Re: Wales U20s: Squad for 6 Nations

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:37 am

No Amos. Guessing he will be selected for the senior squad then, though he probably isn't needed and will no doubt be holding tackle bags. And also Dixon should be returning from injury in Feb.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

No Ashley Evans, the man who scored Wales's winning try in the 2013 JWC semi-final and touched down twice in the final, despite being young enough!

Dafydd Howells will bring experience to the squad, IMO.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 14 Jan 2014, 11:47 am

Lots of young talent, future is bright (wherever they play...)
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

Dixon, Amos and Tyler Morgan (all Dragons), will be added to the U20 squad when fit apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

Great news then Rev. All should be needed for the England game.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Tue 14 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

From what I have heard Ashton Hewitt is suppose to be a pretty decent player.
And also Afon Bagshaw, from what I know is pretty good, think he still plays scrum half, he did when I was with them.

as a north walian, good to see a few RGC lads in the squad. Also is there a policy on not selecting players based on wales?

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 14 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

Could be a few of them being 'moved up' to the senior squad, they are training with the 6 Nations lads on Tuesday.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Jan 2014, 5:55 pm

welshy, not entirely sure if there are any U20 players playing outside of Wales. Ashton Hewitt from what I hear is a very good player, he was regularly on the scoresheet for the U18s.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue 14 Jan 2014, 7:34 pm

The past 3 seasons wales have prized their team around their scrum. They have the same front row as last year which proved to be lethal in some games. Don't know most of the players involved but hope they all make a good impression.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

Nice to see a couple of RGC players in there.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Jan 2014, 11:26 pm

Jhamer, although Wales U20 have been strong up front the game plan is too conservative for my liking. They're capable of better with the backs we keep putting out.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 15 Jan 2014, 12:32 am

Yes thats true. Its Just great the amount if talent we have coming through at our tight 5. Every team needs that platform to work off, it just great that they have had that these past few seasons.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Jan 2014, 6:51 am

Lets hope some of that front 5 (especially props) star making break through and even more especially lets hope the Dragons can snap up one or two.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 29 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

Wales Under 20 team v Italy: Afon Bagshaw (RGC); Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Harri Evans (RGC), Steffan Hughes (capt, Scarlets), Joshua Adams (Scarlets); Ethan Davies (Dragons), Tom Williams (Blues); Callum Lewis (Blues), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys ), Ben Roach (Blues), James Sheekey (Blues), Will Boyde (Carmarthen), Scott Matthews (Dragons), James Benjamin (Dragons)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 29 Jan 2014, 4:06 pm

The Saint wrote:Wales Under 20 team v Italy: Afon Bagshaw (RGC); Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Harri Evans (RGC), Steffan Hughes (capt, Scarlets), Joshua Adams (Scarlets); Ethan Davies (Dragons), Tom Williams (Blues); Callum Lewis (Blues), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys ), Ben Roach (Blues), James Sheekey (Blues), Will Boyde (Carmarthen), Scott Matthews (Dragons), James Benjamin (Dragons)

That can't be right the pack has 5 back row players and no locks. The front row looks about right but the second rows don't make sense

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 29 Jan 2014, 4:15 pm

It was from the BBC. Is this game not on telly? Can't seem to find it on the planner (coming from someone who lives in Bristol).

I'll probably watch it on I-player.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Feb 2014, 1:32 pm

Hayward has made five changes and two positional for his side's trip to Ireland.

In the backline, Ashton Hewitt and Garyn Smith come in for Dafydd Howells and Harri Evans - with captain Steffan Hughes switching from inside to outside centre.

Nicky Smith and Ethan Lewis come into the front row for Callum Lewis and Elliot Dee, Scott Andrews comes into the second row while Ben Roach returns to his usual back row positon, taking up the No 8 berth with James Benjamin moving to the openside flank.

Wales Under 20: Afon Bagshaw (RGC); Ashton Hewitt (Dragons), Steffan Hughes (capt, Scarlets), Garyn Smith (Blues), Joshua Adams (Scarlets); Ethan Davies (Dragons), Tom Williams (Blues); Nicky Smith (Ospreys),Ethan Lewis (Blues), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Dragons), James Sheekey (Blues), Will Boyde (Carmarthen), James Benjamin (Dragons) Ben Roach (Blues)

Replacements: Scott Otten (Ospreys), Luke Garrett (Dragons), Callum Lewis (Blues), Rory Thornton (Ospreys) Ollie Griffiths (Dragons), Connor Lloyd (Scarlets), Luke Price (Ospreys), Tyler Morgan (Dragons)

Not sure why he'd drop Elliot Dee? Surely one of the best and most experienced guys in the squad. Is Scott Andrews actually a lock forward?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 06 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm

The Saint wrote:Hayward has made five changes and two positional for his side's trip to Ireland.

In the backline, Ashton Hewitt and Garyn Smith come in for Dafydd Howells and Harri Evans - with captain Steffan Hughes switching from inside to outside centre.

Nicky Smith and Ethan Lewis come into the front row for Callum Lewis and Elliot Dee, Scott Andrews comes into the second row while Ben Roach returns to his usual back row positon, taking up the No 8 berth with James Benjamin moving to the openside flank.

Wales Under 20: Afon Bagshaw (RGC); Ashton Hewitt (Dragons), Steffan Hughes (capt, Scarlets), Garyn Smith (Blues), Joshua Adams (Scarlets); Ethan Davies (Dragons), Tom Williams (Blues); Nicky Smith (Ospreys),Ethan Lewis (Blues), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Dragons), James Sheekey (Blues), Will Boyde (Carmarthen), James Benjamin (Dragons) Ben Roach (Blues)

Replacements: Scott Otten (Ospreys), Luke Garrett (Dragons), Callum Lewis (Blues), Rory Thornton (Ospreys) Ollie Griffiths (Dragons), Connor Lloyd (Scarlets), Luke Price (Ospreys), Tyler Morgan (Dragons)

Not sure why he'd drop Elliot Dee? Surely one of the best and most experienced guys in the squad. Is Scott Andrews actually a lock forward?

Where is last weeks MOM Scott Mathews? I agree regarding Elliot Dee too, great Hooker.

I know they are try to use the Six nations as an audition for the JWC but there are some big changes. Roach at eight will be interesting though..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 06 Feb 2014, 11:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:Hayward has made five changes and two positional for his side's trip to Ireland.

Where is last weeks MOM Scott Mathews? I agree regarding Elliot Dee too, great Hooker.

I know they are try to use the Six nations as an audition for the JWC but there are some big changes. Roach at eight will be interesting though.

No I think that front row is about right. Ethan Lewis was amazing in the world cup last year.
I hope that Scott Matthews is injured because that's ridiculous if he isn't starting.
I thought Roach was unlucky not to get MOM last week as well last week because he was really good, big lump. I can't find his bio though, who does he play for.
I would like to have seen:
8. Roach
7. Matthews
6. Benjamin
Now that's a strong ball carrying back row with a powerful front three to back it up. Don't have much knowledge on the second row because I don't know who are and arne't. I don;t know who this Scott Andrews is and I though Sheekey played back row.
I understand he wants to move the team about though, a lot of new faces. Will be good to see Roach in his natural position though like you said

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 05 Mar 2014, 10:57 am

Wales Under-20: Afon Bagshaw (RGC); Tyler Morgan (Dragons), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets, capt), Jack Dixon (Dragons), Ashley Evans (Ospreys); Angus O'Brien (Dragons), Tom Williams (Blues); Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Ethan Lewis (Blues), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Dragons), Joe Davies (Dragons), Ben Roach (Blues), Ollie Griffiths (Dragons), James Benjamin (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Luke Garrett (Dragons), Benjamin Leung (Scarlets), Rob Dudley-Jones (Ospreys), Will Boyde (Carmarthen), Luc Jones (Dragons), Luke Price (Ospreys), Joshua Adams (Scarlets).

Team for England. We finally got a lock forward. Front row is strong, but worried about the strength behind. I don't doubt their efficiency at the breakdown though. In the backs Dixon comes back in to the centre, O'Brien starts at 10. I don't know much about this one but he has been impressive for Wales U18s last year. It might be a bit much though throwing him in here against England.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:36 am

He's been playing well for Cross Keys, but then that doesn't mean much either. A little surprised Scott Matthews isn't involved. Didn't know Tyler Morgan could play wing either.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:38 am

Dixon? Matthews has been involved thought hasn't he? Hayward seems to make 10 changes for each game and I don't think it's doing much good.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:40 am

O'Brien.

Yeah, I know he's giving himself an opportunity to look at players available to him, but he needs to find a settled team too. I would've liked him to have picked what he perceived to be his strongest team for this one (maybe he has).

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:18 pm

A lot to the players are new really and I just think he is trying to to get to grips with how they all play. I mean the whole back row and locks are new 10,9, fullback, wingers.
I think he want to give hem all a chance this year. Then next year it will pretty much be the same settled squad. We've been doing great so far though (France aside).

The Dragons have bluddy loads of young players coming through at the moment, well done to them. The only academy that seems t be struggling over the past 2-3 seasons is the Blues.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Fri 07 Mar 2014, 8:04 pm

10-0 after 10 mins. Looks like heavy defeat for Wales but our scrum is amazingly dominant.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down