The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shock, horror, scandal... oh wait it's the Daily Mail

5 posters

Go down

Shock, horror, scandal... oh wait it's the Daily Mail Empty Shock, horror, scandal... oh wait it's the Daily Mail

Post by raycastleunited Tue 29 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

A new War of the Roses: Historians furious over golf club's plan to bury site of 1471 battle
Old Fold Manor golf club wants to turn Battle of Barnet site into landfill tip

Scene of important clash between Houses of York and Lancaster
Historians say it would be 'act of wickedness' to bury centuries-old artefacts

Golf club say the move will allow them to re-landscape several greens

They came at each other out of the fog – opposing armies in a battle that would change the history of England.
This was one of the most important clashes in the Wars of the Roses, fought between the Houses of York and Lancaster on a site some 12 miles north of London.
In a few hours of fighting, the Battle of Barnet helped reshape the monarchy and decide a dynastic conflict.
That was back in the 15th century. Yesterday two sides in a new conflict were mustering forces for a fight over land on which the original battle, immortalised by Shakespeare in Henry VI, is said to have taken place.
Squaring up in one corner is Old Fold Manor golf club, which sits on the 1471 battlefield – and wants to dump thousands of tons of rubbish on it.
A proposal agreed at its annual general meeting would see it become a landfill site to allow the re-landscaping of several greens.
On the opposing side are the forces of heritage and preservation, determined that one of the nation’s most historic battlefield sites must not be wiped out.
One historian said it would be ‘an act of wickedness’ to bury centuries-old artefacts and the prospect of historically important finds, particularly when experts believe the site has exciting new secrets to reveal.
Researchers had just sought permission for a dig to determine the exact location of the fighting.
Some think the Battle of Barnet – and not the 1485 Battle of Bosworth, as is currently thought – saw the first use of handguns in a major British conflict.
If so, and if archaeologists can uncover evidence, it would give Barnet an even more notable place in history.
Dr Gillian Gear, historian and archivist at Barnet Museum, said: ‘It would be absolutely criminal to destroy the evidence.’
Now historians are banding together to save the site for future generations, ‘rather than being annihilated to make a fast buck’, as one put it.
Yesterday I was shown the swathe of land on which Edward IV is said to have led his Yorkist forces against the Lancastrian armies, which backed Henry VI.
Back then, the clash of swords and the rallying calls of knights sounded a death knell for more than 1,500 soldiers.
Soon, if approval is granted, the drone of diggers will form the soundtrack as the historic site is turned into a quagmire of mud and rubbish.
Historian Dennis Bird, 65, says he often imagines the battle unfolding in the early hours of April 14, 1471.
The former teacher, whose home overlooks an obelisk marking where defeated ‘kingmaker’ Earl of Warwick was slain, said: ‘It will completely destroy the archaeology of the site.’
He points out a row of oak, ash, hawthorn and hornbeam trees where a hedge was purportedly used as cover by the Lancastrians.
We cross an expanse of green upon which fighting is likely to have taken place. It is now the seventh tee, thought to be one of those earmarked for landfill.
The 125-acre site is owned by the London Borough of Barnet and leased to the golf club, which is seeking permission to develop part of its 6,500-yard course.
The club has not made specific proposals public yet. Manager Adrian Jackson added: ‘We have to ensure we have the best design and playing surface around.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2472354/Battle-Barnet-site-buried-Old-Ford-Manor-golf-club.html#ixzz2j9UvsP8e

Any thoughts on this?

It's worth noting:
- The golf course has been there for over 100 years
- The plans do not involve changing the routing or greens, but consist of landscaping the practice ground (currently a big empty field with some flags and yardage markers), and some off-fairway landscaping / clearing poplar trees to the side of a couple of holes to improve drainage

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Shock, horror, scandal... oh wait it's the Daily Mail Empty Re: Shock, horror, scandal... oh wait it's the Daily Mail

Post by beninho Wed 30 Oct 2013, 8:33 am

I played it this year. Nice course. Haven't loads if courses tried the landfill money making scheme. One near me did and it ruined the place do much it only gas 12 holes now and charges £9 a round. Ruined a decent place.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Shock, horror, scandal... oh wait it's the Daily Mail Empty Re: Shock, horror, scandal... oh wait it's the Daily Mail

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 30 Oct 2013, 9:04 am

Sounds to me like this most important historical site ever in the world (vol 3) hasn't been treated as such for quite some time. Perfect for the Mail to be let loose on.

Still, I did have a chuckle.

"He points out a row of oak, ash, hawthorn and hornbeam trees where a hedge was purportedly used as cover by the Lancastrians"

So, there are some trees that might mark the point of a hedge that isn't there that might or might not have had some people behind it in a battle that may or may not have happened there.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

beninho wrote:I played it this year. Nice course. Haven't loads if courses tried the landfill money making scheme. One near me did and it ruined the place do much it only gas 12 holes now and charges £9 a round. Ruined a decent place.
Ben - is that Harefield?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

Yep, Harefield or Uxbridge, it changed its name a few times. Played there in my youth and was always the best of the 3 local council courses, Ruislip and Haste Hill. But just seems to have been ruined.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 30 Oct 2013, 1:06 pm

My understanding was that Harefield / Uxbridge didn't have a choice over this - a major gas pipeline was routed through the course. Maybe there is more to it.

I always considered Haste Hill to be the best of the 3.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 30 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

The best use of landfill on a golf course I heard of was at the Berkshire. They offered to take spoil from the building of Terminal 5 and got paid £150k to do so. The best part - it levelled off their practice ground and they got the money. Genius. The only thing was that they had to put up with big trucks going through their car park for a while.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 30 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

The Shire in Barnet was pretty much entirely contructed from landfill from Terminal 5 and Wembley. It was a flat field, now its all rolling mounding

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 31 Oct 2013, 6:57 pm

Ray Ben -played harefield many many times .My old friend Alan and his wife used to run the clubhouse and Phil Highfield was the pro for a long time.The car park filled on Saturday night to get tee times for sunday morning back in the day when golf was popular.All the guys there were dead keen even though the course was a bit basic I remember skys rob lee being 4 under after 3 in the pro am one year.Happy days

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 01 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

The SHire has been done very well, quirky but enjoyable.

When i was younger and just starting in the game, the massive hills at Harefield used to kill me..

The days i would think that paying £22 a round was expensive.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:26 am

The Shire is a real marmite course.

Personally I think the Shire has been constructed very well and is a real challenge. There are some very distinct styles of holes and most of them blend together quite well. I say most of them, there are some mickey mouse features which spoil it... the "S" shaped lake on 18, the par 3 14th has a silly canal / stream in front of it, and the lake across the 2nd fairway is poor design. I put it in a similar bracket to the 2010 at Celtic Manor.

Apprarently the Shire made a significant profit from landfill during construction, so much so that the owner is repeating the approach at 2 other locations. It's no surprise that other clubs want to take the opportunity to develop their course without breaking the bank.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down