The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hauser, Mayweather, Manny and PEDs

+3
AlexHuckerby
huw
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Hauser, Mayweather, Manny and PEDs Empty Hauser, Mayweather, Manny and PEDs

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:46

Thought it was worth sharing another recent Hauser article. Despite his thinly veiled dislike of Mayweather, some good points are raised again.

Most interestingly is the reference to the Manny Mayweather negotiations from Dan Rafael:

On October 2, 2013, Edwin Rodriguez enrolled in the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency’s 24-7-365 testing program. That means VADA can demand blood and urine samples from Rodriguez without notice anytime anywhere. In so doing, Edwin followed the lead of Nonito Donaire, who announced in early-2012 that he was unilaterally subjecting himself to year-round PED testing by VADA.

Boxing has a serious PED problem. Under the best of circumstances, trying to catch drug cheats is like designing anti-virus computer software. The cheats are always finding new ways to thwart the system.

In boxing, the system is easy to beat. Most states have drug-testing programs that a high school student could circumvent. Testing on fight night or testing once a fight has been announced is better than no testing, but it’s not enough. A fighter can use PEDs between fights and cycle off when his next fight is signed.

The Damocles Sword of testing by a qualified testing agency 24-7-365 is essential if boxing is to curtail PED use. But with rare exceptions, this testing hasn’t been implemented.

Indeed, one might posit that Rodriguez and Donaire (pictured above, in Chris Farina-Top Rank photo) have put themselves at a competitive disadvantage. Their upcoming opponents have steered clear of 24-7-365 PED testing. That doesn’t mean their opponents are dirty. But it doesn’t inspire confidence that Edwin and Nonito will be in the ring against clean opposition either.

Jim Lampley was once reluctant to call for stringent measures to curtail the use of performance enhancing drugs in boxing. That changed on December 8, 2012, when Manny Pacquiao was brutally knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez.

“I saw Manny Pacquiao lying face-down on the canvas in front of me,” Lampley recalls. “I thought he might be dead. That imbued me with a sense of urgency on this issue.”

One week later, on the December 15th edition of The Fight Game, Lampley designated Donaire as TFG’s “Fighter of the Year.”

“He committed to random drug testing, 24-7-365 whether he is scheduled to fight or not,” Lampley explained to viewers. “At a moment when, elsewhere in the sport, you can find instances of star fighters who are testing positive for performance enhancing drugs, test results which have allegedly been ignored or suppressed in favor of unobstructed commerce, enforcement efforts which get lost or fall short due to improper scheduling, inadequate testing methods, and bureaucratic incompetence; if you are looking for the ray of hope, the light in the forest, his name is Nonito Donaire.”

On the same telecast, Lampley honored VADA president Margaret Goodman. After referencing VADA’s “state of the art procedures” and “prominent busts” of two elite fighters (Lamont Peterson and Andre Berto), Lampley declared, “It took VADA and Margaret Goodman two fights to establish the will to enforce standards which might help to reverse what many observers now see as an onrushing tide of performance enhancing drugs in boxing. For making her point forcefully, fearlessly, and immediately, Dr. Margaret Goodman is the ‘TFG Person of the Year.’”

One can argue that it’s the responsibility of state athletic commissions, legislators, and promoters to help rid boxing of PEDs. But most of all, it’s the responsibility of THE FIGHTERS and their camps. The fighters are the ones who are at greatest risk.

A fatality would be the most stark evidence of the crisis. But the dangers go far beyond a handful of deaths. Twenty years from now, an entire generation of fighters will have brain damage from having been hit in the head harder than would have been the case without PED use by their opponents.

Thus, it’s worth focusing on Edwin Rodriguez and the laudable commitment to 24-7-365 VADA testing that he recently made.

In August of this year, Rodriguez signed with manager Al Haymon. At least three of Haymon’s fghters (Andre Berto, Antonio Tarver, and J’Leon Love) have tested positive for PEDs in the past.

Another Haymon fighter (Peter Quillin) was enrolled in a USADA testing program prior to his June 2, 2012, fight against Winky Wright. Then, after blood and urine samples were taken from both fighters, Wright was told that the testing had been abandoned and the samples were destroyed.

Haymon also represents Adrien Broner.

Broner, Antonio DeMarco, Golden Boy (Broner’s promoter), and the United States Anti-Doping Agency signed a contract for USADA testing prior to the November 17, 2012, Broner-DeMarco fight. But according to DeMarco, he wasn’t tested by USADA for that bout, nor was Broner.

Then, on June 22, 2013, Broner fought Paulie Malignaggi.

“I wanted VADA testing,” Malignaggi recalls. “And I was told, ‘No, we won’t do VADA. If you insist on VADA, there won’t be a fight.’ Finally, I said, ‘F--- it. I’m getting seven figures. I’ll go ahead and fight.’ Would I have been more confident that Broner was clean if there had been VADA testing? Absolutely.”

Haymon’s flagship fighter, of course, is Floyd Mayweather.

On June 24, 2013, at a media sitdown before the kick-off press conference for Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez, Leonard Ellerbe (CEO of Mayweather Promotions) told reporters, “We’ve put in place a mechanism where all Mayweather Promotions fighters will do mandatory blood and urine testing 365-24-7 by USADA.”

USADA declined a request from this writer for comment on the truth of Ellerbe’s contention. Al Haymon also declined comment for this article. And questions remain regarding the issue of whether or not, several years ago, Mayweather “A” samples tested positive on three occasions.

Referencing that issue, Dan Rafael of ESPN.com stated during a November 21, 2012, online chat, “I need to see proof before I accuse somebody of something so serious. What is fact, however, is that the settlement in the Pacquiao-Mayweather lawsuit happened after the Pacquiao camp tried to get Mayweather's USADA testing records. So maybe where there is smoke there is fire.”

So here’s a suggestion. Why doesn’t Floyd Mayweather enroll in VADA’s 24-7-365 program? And let him state publicly, “Any fighter who wants to be eligible to fight me must enroll in VADA’s 24-7-365 program NOW.”

And let’s take it a step further. In addition to Mayweather, Broner, Quillin, Berto, and Love, Al Haymon currently represents Danny Garcia, Devon Alexander, Lucas Matthysse, Marcos Maidana, Leo Santa Cruz, Keith Thurman, Austin Trout, Omar Figueroa, Gary Russell Jr, Sakio Bika, Josesito Lopez, Erislandy Lara, Shawn Porter, Errol Spence, Chris Arreola, Seth Mitchell, and Deontay Wilder.

Let’s assume that all of these fighters are clean. Let them all enter a 24-7-365 VADA testing program. I can’t speak for anyone else. But that would certainly make a believer out of me.

Al and Floyd have enough money to fund it.

It’s easy to talk the talk. Let’s see who walks the walk.

Let’s also remember the thoughts of Jim Lampley, who has warned, “Whatever is the worst thing that can happen as the result of boxers employing modern medical science to strengthen their bodies, it hasn't happened yet. But if nothing is done to further strengthen testing standards and applications, it surely will. And when it does, we won't be complaining anymore that boxing can't find its way into mainstream media. We'll be there in a big way, and in no way to our credit.”

Back to top Go down

Hauser, Mayweather, Manny and PEDs Empty Re: Hauser, Mayweather, Manny and PEDs

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:50

Hauser dislikes Mayweather because like all guys who try to hang on to the past he's jealous of the present.......

Get it in all sports.........Nicklaus would have hammered Woods...............Babe Ruth would be scoring home run after home run with todays pitchers.........Louis would have knocked out Tyson.........

Take him with a pinch of salt........

In fact Mayweather should take it as a compliment.........By degrading him as is Hauser's wont he is acknowledging he's a threat.......

Rant over...........

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Oct 16 2013, 21:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Oct 17 2013, 09:50

That makes a lot of sense but the problem as far as I can see it would be that this type of testing can only really be there for the elite of the sport as there is presumably a high cost involved with this.

If this was to work it would need to happen at all levels of the sport and would need buy in from the promoters to make it happen. You couldn't expect a fighter who gets 1-2k for a fight 3-4 times per year to be able to pay for this himself.

Something does need to happen though as the amount of people that have been found guilty over the last 4-5 years shows that people are guilty of cheating in the sport I love.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 11:33

huw wrote:That makes a lot of sense but the problem as far as I can see it would be that this type of testing can only really be there for the elite of the sport as there is presumably a high cost involved with this.

If this was to work it would need to happen at all levels of the sport and would need buy in from the promoters to make it happen. You couldn't expect a fighter who gets 1-2k for a fight 3-4 times per year to be able to pay for this himself.

Something does need to happen though as the amount of people that have been found guilty over the last 4-5 years shows that people are guilty of cheating in the sport I love.

I watched Joe Rogan's podcast with Vic Conte and this was brought up & apparently it doesn't cost very much, sure the low level/paid fighter wouldn't be able to pay it but there is nothing to stop the promoter or state athletic commission paying it if they were really interested in helping clean up boxing. The problem according to Conte is that so many top athletes in the world are using that the powers that be would rather turn a blind eye, also the viewer wants to see superhuman achievements performed by superhumans. An interesting thing he says is that a drug test is basically an iq test, only the stupid fail!

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Oct 17 2013, 11:39

Very interesting read, it makes you really worry.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 11:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azzhD2QJ8B0&list=FLRtTESEEptJ5UmsoPzaSkeA&index=21

Here is Joe Rogan with Victor Conte podcast for anybody who is interested. Brings up some interesting things about testing in sports, how to avoid failing test, the real consequences of missing olympic tests etc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu Oct 17 2013, 11:49

It seems rife from top to bottom and it isn't in promoters' interests to fund adequate testing.

One solution would be for HBO/Showtime and Sky to demand it (and fund).

The ideal scebario is an overarching governing body -- but that's not happening.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 12:02

hazharrison wrote:It seems rife from top to bottom and it isn't in promoters' interests to fund adequate testing.

One solution would be for HBO/Showtime and Sky to demand it (and fund).

The ideal scebario is an overarching governing body -- but that's not happening.
Well that's one idea but then we'd be asking them and other broadcasters to do this over all sports that they broadcast including the Olympics, world games etc. An interesting thing he brings up is that in Baseball they are supposed to test a 3rd of all players but generally only test 5% throughout the season. Unfortunately drugs in sport are here to stay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Oct 17 2013, 12:04

Think we need to be realistic about PED’s. As Oxy said some time ago I have tried to the vain hope it is not a huge issue, more out of respect for the sport and those who participate in it than in anything grounded in logic. However eventually one has to be sensible. In sports like athletics and cycling where testing is way beyond what it is in boxing and the penalties for being caught are fairly punitive abuse is still an issue. To think in boxing, where testing is a joke and penalties are farcical think it would be extremely naïve to believe abuse would not be widespread.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu Oct 17 2013, 12:11

Especially considering fighters are as fit and sprightly in their late 30's and early 40's as they were in their 20s.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 12:12

@Rowley
Check out the podcast its really interesting, in theory cycling & athletics do have a much better testing program but in reality its little better than boxing. Missing the tests ends up being not as bad as we are led to believe, the suspected cheats that are at the very top get away with it consistantly, the A & B sample thing, what the benefits of peds are & what are the best for given sports. You may want to skip the first 20 mins & then listen in 30 min segments but defo worth it. Will make you wonder why boxing should be different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu Oct 17 2013, 12:20

Boxing is corrupt from top to bottom, I'd be absolutely amazed if Mayweather or Pacquaio were clean, the difference in their body to the naked eye is huge. Problem is the amount of money they generate for everyone do you think it would come out in the wash, even if they were caught ?

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 20:09

Ignoring Hauser's agenda, I'd not heard of the quotes from Rafael before. Al Haymon's fighters certainly don't have a good track record.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri Oct 18 2013, 09:24

hazharrison wrote:Especially considering fighters are as fit and sprightly in their late 30's and early 40's as they were in their 20s.
I'm not sure this is so much of an issue.

Have been weight training on and off since my teens and now in my mid-late 30's am in the best shape of my life. When you are younger fitness and muscles come without too much work and you are generally leading a lifestyle alongside the training that doesn't go hand in hand. As you get older you take what you are doing more seriously and look after other aspects of your life better.

Sports science has improved as well, when younger I would have though of protein powder as cheating and it wasn't as readily available. Now I have a few supplements and vitamins that I take daily.

I don't think someone having a great physique in their 30's or early 40's is necessarily a sign that they are on the juice as they could just be very dedicated.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri Oct 18 2013, 10:59

I know Strongy has pointed this out before, does anyone else agree that Mayweather and Manny have considerably thicker and bigger heads that they used to. Bodies can change through hard work, but ive only ever seen the visible appearance of a mans skull change when he is taking HGH.

Last edited by Lumbering_Jack on Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:01; edited 1 time in total

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:00

No I haven't........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:06

Mayweather could butcher your whole family and you'd still love him Truss. You aren't exactly objective on this subject.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:12

Strongy and you are renowned for your impartiality on Mayweather...........

But you asked a question and I answered it.......Honestly.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:30

Truss you're renowned more for your impartiality Manny, Louis, Hagler or anyone that opposes your pet fighter, Honeyghan still awaits your recognition for destroying Curry.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:33

huw wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Especially considering fighters are as fit and sprightly in their late 30's and early 40's as they were in their 20s.
I'm not sure this is so much of an issue.

Have been weight training on and off since my teens and now in my mid-late 30's am in the best shape of my life. When you are younger fitness and muscles come without too much work and you are generally leading a lifestyle alongside the training that doesn't go hand in hand. As you get older you take what you are doing more seriously and look after other aspects of your life better.

Sports science has improved as well, when younger I would have though of protein powder as cheating and it wasn't as readily available. Now I have a few supplements and vitamins that I take daily.

I don't think someone having a great physique in their 30's or early 40's is necessarily a sign that they are on the juice as they could just be very dedicated.
They also fight with far less frequency Huw, would seem inevitable a guy having 8 fights a year will suffer wear and tear more than a guy fighting once a year.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Oct 18 2013, 12:19

Rodney wrote:Truss you're renowned more for your impartiality Manny, Louis, Hagler or anyone that opposes your pet fighter, Honeyghan still awaits your recognition for destroying Curry.

Cheers Rodders
You do me an injustice..............Louis is my number 2 heavy.........Just say he never beat anybody of the toppest quality...........Always said Hagler is great just that he gets a free ride on some issues.......Never denied Manny's a great fighter..........

Honeyghan was a decent champion but I'm not alone in thinking he beat a shell.

I am impartial yes........Everyone is on here including you ...........But I try to be fair and most importantly honest....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down