The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys v Ulster, Friday 4th October

+27
MrsP
glamorganalun
Notch
IanBru
ME-109
Artful_Dodger
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
GLove39
Cari
Standulstermen
GunsGerms
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
profitius
Kingshu
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
Don Alfonso
LordDowlais
Luckless Pedestrian
Jenifer McLadyboy
clivemcl
The Saint
Pete330v2
rodders
mrzimmerman
31 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ospreys v Ulster, Friday 4th October Empty Ospreys v Ulster, Friday 4th October

Post by mrzimmerman Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:27 pm

Better late than never. Big game. 2 good sides. Let's get it on.

At Liberty Stadium, 7.05pm. Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (IRFU, 49th competition game) Assistant Referees: Jon Mason, Wayne Davies (both WRU) Citing Commissioner: Dennis Jones (WRU) TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU)

In the black corner

15 Richard Fussell
14 Jeff Hassler
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Eli Walker
10 Dan Biggar
9 Tito Tebaldi
1 Ryan Bevington
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Adam Jones
4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)
5 Ian Evans
6 Tyler Ardron
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Joe Bearman

REPLACEMENTS

16 Scott Baldwin
17 Duncan Jones
18 Aaron Jarvis
19 James King
20 Sam Lewis
21 Tom Habberfield
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Ben John

In the white corner

(15-9): C Gilroy, A Trimble, J Payne, L Marshall, M Allen, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): T Court, R Best, D Fitzpatrick J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, B Ross, I Henderson, R Wilson, M Heaney, S Olding, D Cave.

Last edited by mrzimmerman on Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more specific)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Ulster, Friday 4th October Empty Re: Ospreys v Ulster, Friday 4th October

Post by rodders Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:31 pm

Is this on Friday or Saturday??

Scrum battle should be interesting here, that's a pretty formidable front 5 for the Ospreys. Ulster need to keep Fitzpatrick on for as long as possible...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Ulster, Friday 4th October Empty Re: Ospreys v Ulster, Friday 4th October

Post by mrzimmerman Thu 03 Oct 2013, 1:35 pm

Edited. Sorry. Friday night.

The front 5 look great.

Permission to be unsportsmanlike for a second? Glad Bowe isn't playing against us!

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

Thank flip, my Friday would have been ruined.... should be a good one, can see it going either way but just fancy the Ospreys at home.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:06 pm

mrzimmerman wrote:Edited. Sorry. Friday night.

The front 5 look great.

Permission to be unsportsmanlike for a second? Glad Bowe isn't playing against us!
Think cari might have a word with you Very Happy 

Big challenge for Ulster. Ospreys front 5 are a real threat, and no Afoa for us Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

That O's pack will take some beating but then again our lads haven't looked like taking a backward step bar a couple of misdemeanours. Never underestimate the revitalised pack of the Ulstermen Smile

It's a shame there's no Bowe available and what exactly is it with Afoa. The big lad needs gametime before the HC and he will have clocked up zero minutes by the time we have to tame the tigers. I absolutely understand his desire to be with his family but perhaps he is slipping out of the reckoning if his heart isn't with Ulster anymore. Fitz won't let us down though.

Any word on Paddy McAllister's situation?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

Oh and SUFTCAB!!!!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:12 pm

Was there no other officials available? Fitzgibbon doesn't strike me as someone who's neutral.

Where is Ryan Jones?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:14 pm

The Saint wrote:
Where is Ryan Jones?
Toulon?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

Not yet!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:17 pm

Wink 
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

The Saint wrote:Was there no other officials available? Fitzgibbon doesn't strike me as someone who's neutral.

Where is Ryan Jones?
We Ulster fans just love Fitzgibbon. Our 16th man Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

We know.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

rodders wrote:Thank flip, my Friday would have been ruined.... should be a good one, can see it going either way but just fancy the Ospreys at home.
Rodders, last time I got home after a working week, grabbed a beer, flicked on the tv to find the match was on Saturday, I was in the WORST mood ever. My wife doesn't get it. Never has. lol

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:25 pm

clivemcl wrote:
rodders wrote:Thank flip, my Friday would have been ruined.... should be a good one, can see it going either way but just fancy the Ospreys at home.
Rodders, last time I got home after a working week, grabbed a beer, flicked on the tv to find the match was on Saturday, I was in the WORST mood ever. My wife doesn't get it. Never has. lol
Mine gets it between 2 and 3 times a week. Whistle

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:26 pm

The Saint wrote:Was there no other officials available? Fitzgibbon doesn't strike me as someone who's neutral.

Where is Ryan Jones?
I'm pretty sure he's not a qualified referee...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:45 pm

You lads are crakin' me up here Smile

What does the weather give for the Liberty Stadium tomorrow evening by the way? I hope rain is off the agenda as I don't fancy a pack vs pack kind of game with the way the O's are looking.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:You lads are crakin' me up here Smile

What does the weather give for the Liberty Stadium tomorrow evening by the way? I hope rain is off the agenda as I don't fancy a pack vs pack kind of game with the way the O's are looking.
A risk of some showers, no not the Osprey's fans, but clearing towards evening. The ground may be sodden due to today's downpours, and the sprinklers being left on overnight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:09 pm

What is it with you lot today?
Is this comedy central?
Have I come on the wrong forum?

Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:14 pm

I just hope that the Ospreys keep on Fitzgibbon's good side, I do not want to be talking about the ref come Saturday, I know that there are not many good refs around but this is a big game and putting an Irish ref in there already has me thinking towards the biased side, I know people on here are going to stone me to death about this but I have seen it all too often in the rabo, I just hope he is fair to both sides. Consistency, Consistency, Consistency, this is all I ask for.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:23 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I just hope that the Ospreys keep on Fitzgibbon's good side, I do not want to be talking about the ref come Saturday, I know that there are not many good refs around but this is a big game and putting an Irish ref in there already has me thinking towards the biased side, I know people on here are going to stone me to death about this but I have seen it all too often in the rabo, I just hope he is fair to both sides. Consistency, Consistency, Consistency, this is all I ask for.

If he is biased it will be worth at least 9 points to you. I don't buy into the whole biased ref thing though. We have what we have, and it's the same for all sides. Try to play the ref, and try not to let slip the discipline.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:28 pm

Munchkin wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I just hope that the Ospreys keep on Fitzgibbon's good side, I do not want to be talking about the ref come Saturday, I know that there are not many good refs around but this is a big game and putting an Irish ref in there already has me thinking towards the biased side, I know people on here are going to stone me to death about this but I have seen it all too often in the rabo, I just hope he is fair to both sides. Consistency, Consistency, Consistency, this is all I ask for.

If he is biased it will be worth at least 9 points to you. I don't buy into the whole biased ref thing though. We have what we have, and it's the same for all sides. Try to play the ref, and try not to let slip the discipline.
I totally agree, we have what we have, but how many times have we seen the BIG Irish three have the rub of the green ? It's not just in our league tho, it happens everywhere, the big sides all seem to get the favourable decisions, it happened last week out in Ireland, I would have rather had a Scottish or Italian ref tomorrow, at least he would have been just as crap for both sides.OK 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:39 pm

Fitzgibbon hates Ulster and never gives us a break. However, the Ospreys are a Welsh team and he is an Irish ref.

There you are. Everyone's gotten their excuses in. And before a ball has even been kicked. How effiicient.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:42 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

Where is Ryan Jones?
I'm pretty sure he's not a qualified referee...
It's quite clearly another sentence. Otherwise, your jibe might have been just slightly funny.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:57 pm

Was it Fitzgibben who decided to go to the video ref after the game ended against Leinster last season at the RDS?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:00 pm

Seriously lads, lets get off the whole biased ref thing.
Fitzgibbon is from Munster and would be more an O's fan than an Ulster fan I can absolutely assure you. He is Irish yes but that no more makes him Ulster biased than being on the same island would make a Scottish man support England.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:04 pm

I just read that back and I'm not sure it makes any grammatical sense at all......well it does to me.

I just realised, it's Munster v Leinster on saturday. What a great weekend of rugby

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

rodders wrote:Was it Fitzgibben who decided to go to the video ref after the game ended against Leinster last season at the RDS?  
That particular high water mark of refereeing was Clancy.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:12 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
rodders wrote:Was it Fitzgibben who decided to go to the video ref after the game ended against Leinster last season at the RDS?  
Yeah that was a bastid. We didn't win the game AND I STILL had to give him a tenner. Rolling Eyes 

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:26 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:
Yeah that was a bastid. We didn't win the game AND I STILL had to give him a tenner. Rolling Eyes 

I hope you have a bit more money set aside for this season.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:33 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:

I hope you have a bit more money set aside for this season.
Won't need it for the home game. It's Christmas and you'll probably send the u12s. Defo need it in April though up there. Might have to stretch to 50 this year Sad 

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:36 pm

With Stuart Olding in the 22 shirt, does that mean he will likely come on at 10 rather than at 12?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:40 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:With Stuart Olding in the 22 shirt, does that mean he will likely come on at 10 rather than at 12?
If PJ gets injured, there's no-one else.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 03 Oct 2013, 6:39 pm

Luke Marshall has played 10 for Ulster

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 03 Oct 2013, 7:23 pm

I actually think that MA rates Trimble higher than Bowe, it seams to me that the better wing wears the number 14 (for MA, if not generally) and last season when Bowe and Trimble played together Trimble was the one who got the 14, even if Bowe had the 14 shirt in the last game he was the one moved across to make way for Trimble (instead of Trimble just slotting in at 11).

I have to admit that I'm pretty happy with our wings, Allen has been playing really well and deserves to hold onto the Shirt.

Gilroy at fullback has been good but I'm not fully convinced with him there as yet.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 03 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm

Well I think Anscombe doesn't care much for reputations and will stick his neck out for the guy in form.

Trimble played some of the best rugby of his career last season and Anscombe, rightfully imo, made it clear he was number one wing even when Bowe and Gilroy were fit.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 03 Oct 2013, 10:10 pm

Kingshu wrote:I actually think that MA rates Trimble higher than Bowe
So do I and so do I.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 03 Oct 2013, 10:13 pm

I doubt Anscombe rates Trimble better than Bowe. Maybe Triblem is more valuable for Ulster since he is there more often but in terms of talent he couldn't be rated better than Bowe.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 03 Oct 2013, 10:25 pm

Bowe is an opportunistic player with a ton of talent, but Trimble fits in with MA's plan for the team better. MA needs Andy's power and pace coming off the wing to feed off the Jackson/Marshall/Paynes' creativity.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 03 Oct 2013, 11:52 pm

Profitius I can't say in terms of talent who Ma rates higher but with all wingers fit I think the top dog with Ulster is currently Trimble. Bowe is world class, but if MA had to pick between the two he'd prob go for Trimble, which isnt a slight on Bowe's ablity but a credit to Trimble.
I think Trimble is under rated by some, but not MA. Some on here rate Trimble really highly (outside Ulster mostly Scottish) and mention him with the top wingers in the league, others have gone with whats happened him internationally and rate him as as decent but not international level winger. Personally I think that he is a bit of an unsung hero, and if he plays like last year Schmidt will have him starting and he'll get the regonisation he deserves, I think he's been treated unfairly by Ireland.

Anyway long story short Bowe missing this game, Trimble coming in I don't think there is a much of a drop in quality in the wings, both are among the top wingers in the league. To be glad to see Bowe missing but Trimble starting is a mistake.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Oct 2013, 7:46 am

Don Alfonso wrote:
'Water' is a polite way of putting it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:13 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
Kingshu wrote:I actually think that MA rates Trimble higher than Bowe
So do I and so do I.
In some respects I do too. When Trimble is at his rampaging best he's a tour de force and his all round contribution is greater than Bowe's. Bowe though seems to be able to carry his form up through the levels -Ireland and Lions - with a consistency that Trimbs has never managed, and his ability to score in big game is uncanny.

Based on club form though Trimbs has the edge, certainly so on last seasons form.

Trimble strikes me more as a confidence player, maybe related to your point before of the Belfast v country schools thing?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 04 Oct 2013, 10:43 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:With Stuart Olding in the 22 shirt, does that mean he will likely come on at 10 rather than at 12?
He could come on as both a 10 + 12, after all that is 22
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 04 Oct 2013, 10:52 am

Having 2 centres at 22 and 23 is relying on Payne to go back if there are any back 3 injuries and Olding to cover 10 in case of emergencies.

Should work fine. You can cover any 2 of the back 6 with them. 3 wingers in the back 3 helps too.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

If this game goes to form then expect the Ospreys forwards to boss this game, pushing the Ulster pack about and grinding them down in the loose and at the breakdown, with the backs then having a go at the hour mark, but Ulster are a very good side and the Ospreys will have to try and stop Williams ball carrying, but I think the O's should just have enough seeing that it is at home, it will be tight but I think the Ospreys could win with a 7-9 point margin, could be closer though, and I would not be surprised if Ulster won.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:28 am

Are Ulster's SA players back yet ? They do seem to carry the team
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:43 am

munkian wrote:Are Ulster's SA players back yet ? They do seem to carry the team
All two of them?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:46 am

Muller has been back since the first game of the season. Pienaar is on RC duty.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:51 am

Code:
rodders wrote:
munkian wrote:Are Ulster's SA players back yet ? They do seem to carry the team
All two of them?
Maybe I should have typed 'Overseas' players. You do seem a different team without Pienar mind. Is Afoa in ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

No, think Afoa won't play much this year as he's back and forth to NZ.

Williams and Payne are the key overseas players for me this year but I'm pretty happy with the side minus any of the NIEs...the depth has improved a lot over the past 12 months...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next