The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick Wood red carded after 73 seconds (Saracens vs Gloucester - Aviva Premiership)

+13
gregortree
HongKongCherry
beshocked
Scoped
timhen
MrsP
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
Exiledinborders
HQ matt
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Totalflanker
Artful_Dodger
17 posters

Go down

Nick Wood red carded after 73 seconds (Saracens vs Gloucester - Aviva Premiership) Empty Nick Wood red carded after 73 seconds (Saracens vs Gloucester - Aviva Premiership)

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 15 Sep 2013, 7:52 pm

Seen very little mention of this in the Aviva thread. This is absolutely crazy by Nick Wood, who is a very experienced player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9VPVVxOuE

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Nick Wood red carded after 73 seconds (Saracens vs Gloucester - Aviva Premiership) Empty Re: Nick Wood red carded after 73 seconds (Saracens vs Gloucester - Aviva Premiership)

Post by Totalflanker Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:05 pm

Was a red, but looked worse than it was.

Looked to me like Wood was rucking to clear and Burger's head popped out as a result of Wood's previous rucking movement. His foot was already on the way down which was the reason he caught the face. Main issue for Wood was that he should have been a little more cautious on where he was rucking in the first place.

Not an excuse, but again worse than it looked.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Nick Wood red carded after 73 seconds (Saracens vs Gloucester - Aviva Premiership) Empty Re: Nick Wood red carded after 73 seconds (Saracens vs Gloucester - Aviva Premiership)

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:40 pm

Little mention because sarries only have plastic fans and i haven't seen many Glaws supporters on 606 since 2007.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:57 pm

yes, it wasnt as bad as it looked. i dont think there was intent to go for the face and no downward pressure applied.
the ref had little choice though.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:03 pm

Nick Wood had to go but it is amazing how Wayne Barnes manages to be the centre of attention in every match he referees.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:05 pm

Nice to see Wood didn't argue and insisted on apologising to Burger before leaving the field. He was far to worked up for the game and was far to over zealous in his rucking. He didn't mean to go for Burger's head but he was reckless and stupid and will be expecting a few weeks off.

He really cost his team any chance of winning the game and his forlorn figure on the sideline showed just how much he regretted it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:23 pm

Agree with you. Clearly a red card, no real debate.
But not as bad as it looked.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:27 pm

Deary me.

Looks like he had left his brain in the dressing room.

That moment of realisation of what he had just done and the consequences.

Good to hear that he immediately showed his regret and also good to know that Burger wasn't injured by his actions. (I'm assuming he wasn't?)

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:27 pm

The level of malice in the incident is put into context by the fact that at the end of the match BT showed Wood and Burger talking and laughing together on the pitch.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:33 pm

Wood was obviously gutted by his actions. That much is good.
I wonder how long his ban will be.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Sun 15 Sep 2013, 11:08 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:Nick Wood had to go but it is amazing how Wayne Barnes manages to be the centre of attention in every match he referees.
How can you say the player had to be red carded then claim the ref is the centre of attention. The only ref who would have been the centre of attention in that decision would be the one to not red card Wood.

Honestly, the ref bashing is getting out of hand now. We're starting to look like wendyball fans!

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:17 am

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Little mention because sarries only have plastic fans and i haven't seen many Glaws supporters on 606 since 2007.
I have supported Saracens for over 20 years. Hardly plastic.

HKC is one of the regular Gloucester posters. They also have others like gregortree and kingelderfield.

Wayne Barnes made a correct decision, one of his only during the match. Fortunately this was the most important. Would have been nice if in particular he realised that Gloucester have to throw the ball straight at the lineout.

Wood was looking down, he used his boot twice, a straight red is correct.

I expect him to get a 4 week ban, down from 8 weeks, 2 weeks taken off for remorse and 2 weeks for good previous behaviour and not eating biscuits during the hearing.

doctor grey it only didn't seem as bad because Burger stayed on - he's a hard man. It was a horrible incident. Something you don't want to see.

Davies' plan backfired - he got Gloucester fired up but if you can't keep your discipline you will suffer.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:23 am

Beshocked, I don't think Barnes had his glasses on, he failed to call a number of our lineout throws (thankfully) and did not see a host of feeds to the scrum from both sides - it makes the new laws a farce if they're not enforced.

I've got no complaints about Woody's red card. He's not a malicious player, but it was a straight red offence and his ban will be entirely deserved.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:33 am

Well said HKC. Very sporting of you. I agree about the feeding still being a problem though like the ref I didn't focus on it a lot!

You should be heartened that you showed a lot of guts and spirit. To lead going into half time was impressive. The backlash from Saracens in the 2nd half was inevitable though. Saracens have been performing better in the 2nd half at Allianz Park but also the extra man plus the weather with them significantly helped too.

What's the status on Burns and Trinder?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:15 am

beshocked wrote:
DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Little mention because sarries only have plastic fans and i haven't seen many Glaws supporters on 606 since 2007.
I have supported Saracens for over 20 years. Hardly plastic.

HKC is one of the regular Gloucester posters. They also have others like gregortree and kingelderfield.

Wayne Barnes made a correct decision, one of his only during the match. Fortunately this was the most important. Would have been nice if in particular he realised that Gloucester have to throw the ball straight at the lineout.

Wood was looking down, he used his boot twice, a straight red is correct.

I expect him to get a 4 week ban, down from 8 weeks, 2 weeks taken off for remorse and 2 weeks for good previous behaviour and not eating biscuits during the hearing.

doctor grey it only didn't seem as bad because Burger stayed on - he's a hard man. It was a horrible incident. Something you don't want to see.

Davies' plan backfired - he got Gloucester fired up but if you can't keep your discipline you will suffer.
Yes I'm here. No complaints from me, except maybe to Woodie, who let the red mist descend a little too much, and let down the team.
Glad he apologised and chatted with Burger afterwards. Woodie also appeared to struggle vs Sale the week before and picked up a yellow. C'mon Woodie get your sh!t together this season already. He will have time during the ban to work on his conditioning, technique and his headspace.
But now Glaws are off to an awful start - bottom after 2 rounds. Worst start since I had a season ticket.
PS: my new 'walk of legends' brick (Christmas present) has finally been installed by the westerly end of the main stand...I'm sure you are interested.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:29 am

gregortree with Saints up next it doesn't get any easier. I think it's crucial for Gloucester hopes that both Trinder and Burns are fit. You certainly don't want Tindall being brought in!

It's that shock loss to Sale that has led to the alarm. Even with 15 men Gloucester were always going to be underdogs vs Sarries.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:53 am

I think Burns will be fine. He was apparently just a bit dazed, but I'm not sure the extent of Trinder's injury.

I agree Beshocked about our performance and there are a number of positives I have taken from that - as we certainly didn't take anything else!! If we had played like that against Sale we would have won comfortably. I am strangely confident about the Saints game, I feel we'll come good - as long as it's not raining!!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm

It would have been interesting to see how Glaws had faired with 15 men, and to what extend the 2nd half was to do with missing a player. I think Sarries would have bounced back in the second half anyway, but after a red card so early there is always an air of inevitability about the result.

As an aside, do Glaws fans feel pleased when Barnes refs them? He is a Glaws fan so its always slightly surprised me that he can ref you really. I can't remember him ever showing bias and I don't think he would, but why is it different for international refs not being able to officiate over matches involving their team?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:13 pm

Barnes is from Gloucestershire, doesn't mean he is necessarily a Cherry and White.

He may also try and compensate for any perceived bias by reffing them more harshly than he would any other team. Either way the RFU don't have an issue with it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:27 pm

He is from the Forest of Dean, so that makes him Welsh Wink

Bathman, I don't think we're happy with any ref!! Personally I quite like Barnes. He's not afraid to make the big decisions and he takes control of the teams and in general is pretty consistent with dealing with both sides.

It would have been interesting to see how we would have performed with 15. I think we probably would have still lost, but the final score has more to do with the final 10 minutes of exhausted players trying to chuck the ball around to make something happen.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:41 pm

I think he'll get off lighty (previous good behaviour, remorse, apology, etc.) but what may go against him is that he does it twice - once would be "red mist", twice seems a bit more.
Incidentally per SSN this is the second fastest sending off - what was the first and what for?
Not a quiz question just asking

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:45 pm

The first use of the boot is clearly on his back, the second stamp is to the head. Only once does he make contact with the head though he is stamping and not rucking so that won't help him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:The first use of the boot is clearly on his back, the second stamp is to the head. Only once does he make contact with the head though he is stamping and not rucking so that won't help him.
I feel the laws should change to allow the first instance, but definitely not the 2nd. If Burger is going to kill the ball he should be given shoe pie for it. Proper rucking speeds up the play, but there is a fine line and Woody definitely crossed that.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Sep 2013, 6:31 am

HongKongCherry wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:The first use of the boot is clearly on his back, the second stamp is to the head. Only once does he make contact with the head though he is stamping and not rucking so that won't help him.
I feel the laws should change to allow the first instance, but definitely not the 2nd.  If Burger is going to kill the ball he should be given shoe pie for it. Proper rucking speeds up the play, but there is a fine line and Woody definitely crossed that.
Can't remember the exact ruling but players can still use the boot to retrieve the ball or make it available if someone's killing it. Only technicality is that they have to use a walking motion not a straight up and down stamp.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:32 pm

In terms of potential for damage is what Wood did 4 times worse than this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24161572

Looks to me like Davies lined the Connacht player up and deliberately went for his head?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 19 Sep 2013, 11:31 pm

That does not look nice. Only a quick look and I can only see from one angle but it look's like he lead with the elbow.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down