The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De La Hoya in Rehab ...Again

+11
Lumbering_Jack
seanmichaels
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
huw
88Chris05
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AlexHuckerby
ONETWOFOREVER
TheMarvelousOne
15 posters

Go down

De La Hoya in Rehab ...Again Empty De La Hoya in Rehab ...Again

Post by TheMarvelousOne Tue 10 Sep - 19:38

New just broke that Oscar has admitted himself to rehab again and will not attend Mayweather-Alvarez at the weekend.
They guy just can't seem to shake his demons.

TheMarvelousOne

Back to top Go down

De La Hoya in Rehab ...Again Empty Re: De La Hoya in Rehab ...Again

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 10 Sep - 19:45

Thats crazy. Surely he can hold on until after the fight Canelo needs him. Saying that its hard to tell with Oscar. He does not look like an addict of any kind when he is on camera but behind closed doors he must be climbing the walls.

Hope he can shake this and take a look at his life and see just how damn f**king lucky he is.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 10 Sep - 20:23

Hes clearly nothing like he appears on camera, always has caregully chosen words laid out.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMarvelousOne Tue 10 Sep - 20:26

Like many retired boxers he seems to want to fill the high he used to feel through boxing with other vices. Many develop them whilst they are still active in between fights. Oscar himself used to be a bit of a party animal during his career but at least this was counter balanced with intense training camps I between the binging.

TheMarvelousOne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 10 Sep - 20:38

I know Mayweather probabaly doesnt want to this happen to a fellow boxer, but in regards to this week I bet he is secretly a bit happy

Everyone knows there's still beef between DLH and Floyd, as everyone knows that Oscar is more than just a promoter to Canelo. Oscar has been there from the beginning,  bigging him up, giving him the "gameplan" etc and havig him not there for the last 4 days could freak him out. Canelo doesn't speak English very well so Floyd hasn't bern able to play games like he did agaisnt Ortiz and Guerrero

I do hope DLH can finally get himself sorted, but it's never easy and as people has said it's not uncommon for older boxers to go down this route wheter it be booze, drugs, money, gambling etc and it is sad to see

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 10 Sep - 21:02

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I know Mayweather probabaly doesnt want to this happen to a fellow boxer, but in regards to this week I bet he is secretly a bit happy

Everyone knows there's still beef between DLH and Floyd, as everyone knows that Oscar is more than just a promoter to Canelo. Oscar has been there from the beginning,  bigging him up, giving him the "gameplan" etc and havig him not there for the last 4 days could freak him out. Canelo doesn't speak English very well so Floyd hasn't bern able to play games like he did agaisnt Ortiz and Guerrero

I do hope DLH can finally get himself sorted, but it's never easy and as people has said it's not uncommon for older boxers to go down this route wheter it be booze, drugs, money, gambling etc and it is sad to see
Touching

but when you have as much money as Oscar, a beautiful wife and kids, x amount of cars and clothes and good health I tend to think ''get it together'' be greatfull. Maybe Oscar needs to take a trip to war torn country or the nearest ghetto and see how lucky he is. Saying that all the best hope you pull through.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 10 Sep - 22:12

He did look like an unkempt sweaty mess in last weeks All Access. I'm assuming he likes his Bolivian marching powder. Hope he sorts himself out

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 11 Sep - 0:05

I think most people have acknowledged that Oscar's behaviour and demeanour since his retirement have been odd, to say the least.

I said the other week on here that I didn't like what De la Hoya was becoming; another annoying, cheesy sideshow who likes the sound of his own voice too much, and has abandoned that personality he had in his fighting days, which made people respect and like him so much, in favour of a more dumbed down version which wouldn't look out of place alongside Broner.

In his fighting career, De la Hoya always carried himself with class and dignity which was a bit of a contrast to some of his contemporaries, but evidently he was in a much better place mentally than he has been in recent times and you'd have to think that, as well as the understandable need to fulfil his role as a promoter now, this has a lot to do with that change in attitude, appearance and style.

I've always had a lot of time for Oscar, so I sincerely hope he gets himself sorted and conquers whatever mental demons or vices he has, because he still has something to offer the sport, albeit in a new capacity.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 11 Sep - 0:39

I thought he was going to lose it at a conference held for Zab Judah when Judah just brushed him off and questioned him in front of the press and fans. Got to remember he is an ex fighter so when pressured can very well act out. He has always been a very emotional man anyway.

How many ex fighters go on to become successful promoters anyway? Maybe Oscar is struggling to think with a promoters head where exploiting fighters is part of the game. Conflict of interest? Hope he can pull through as he is a good guy.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 11 Sep - 9:29

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Thats crazy. Surely he can hold on until after the fight Canelo needs him. Saying that its hard to tell with Oscar. He does not look like an addict of any kind when he is on camera but behind closed doors he must be climbing the walls.

Hope he can shake this and take a look at his life and see just how damn f**king lucky he is.
Not that simple though is it. Some people spend their lives trying to better their situations continually and we may see them with everything we want but they are still striving for more and don't know when to stop, look around and see all they have achieved.

You also have to consider that drugs tend to be addictive because they feel really good. People don't get addicted to things that aren't enjoyable and when you are in that situation with a bottomless pit of money it would be even more difficult to sort yourself out.

Then there could also be the American dramatisation to all of this. Maybe a reporter caught him doing a bit of coke and was going to report on it so to counter this he booked himself into rehab. How many times have these American stars got drunk three days in a row only to be considered alcoholics.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep - 10:04

[quote="huw"]
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

You also have to consider that drugs tend to be addictive because they feel really good. People don't get addicted to things that aren't enjoyable and when you are in that situation with a bottomless pit of money it would be even more difficult to sort yourself out..
You're wrong..It's easier for him to sort himself out because he can afford the best care available...........It's a mental defect addiction and it tends to come from a painful experience from ones past in a lot of cases.......You take to forget !!! Then get depressed you've taken so have depression from both sides !!

Even the most succesful people can suffer from depression...It's a vicious circle. The real problem is when you can't afford to address your problem with the required professional help...

Oscar is lucky not unlucky.........Unlucky ones are those who have a family out-of-it's-depth trying to deal with an addict above their paygrade and an addict who can't get the necessary help !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Sep - 10:04

Huw makes some good points. A lot of successful sportsmen, struggle to replace the adrenalin and/or the adulation. I'd add that it's entirely possible to be rich successful handsome and famous... And full of self loathing.

Luckily as I've avoided being famous, the burden of the first 3 hasnt been too onerous for me, and I still really like myself.  Though I realise this is a minority opinion.

Whichever, hope Oscar gets himself together.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 10:31

DLH's biggest battle is to get over his obsession with beating Mayweather. It's consumed him for years and, I believe, has been instrumental in causing his recent troubles. He despises Floyd and everything he stands for (perhaps a little OTT) and has backed almost every fighter that has faced Floyd in the last few years.

On the recent Access All Areas  episode there's a clip of Oscar talking about it and how it affects him to this day.

Oscar reminds me of George Bush Snr. He got Saddam out of Kuwait and regretted not chasing him back to Iraq and killing him so he ended up getting his son into the Oval office and despite overwhelming evidence that Bin Laden was responsible for 9/11 (sorry ONETWO but deal with it) ensured that Bush Jnr's only job was to get Saddam.

"But Dad, Saddam had nothing to do with the Twin Towers"
"Shut up and declare war in Iraq!"
"But dad..."
"Just do as I say, it's important to me...I mean, the American people!"

Anyway, one hopes that Canelo wins at the weekend if only to prevent Oscar going completely off the rails.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 11 Sep - 10:35

Bush Snr never had the UN mandate to enter Iraq. UN's only authorisation was to rid Kuwait of Iraqi's.

2 sweaty nights and 60hrs without a drink for me.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 10:38

seanmichaels wrote:Bush Snr never had the UN mandate to enter Iraq. UN's only authorisation was to rid Kuwait of Iraqi's.

2 sweaty nights and 60hrs without a drink for me.
Hemce me saying he regretted it

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep - 10:39

He didn't get his Son in the Oval office...........

W was the main reason Bush Sr got in there with his attacks on Dukakis being soft on crime !! Dukakis was leading in the polls..

Bush jr was his Dad's chief advisor..........in 88......

He may look dumb and lack intelligence but he is a very tough political fighter and very much underrated...

W did amazingly well to beat Gore who was a massive favorite.........

Can't stand him but you do him a disservice..

and with respect you don't really know what causes Oscar to behave like he does..

This isn't an invitation for a verbal joust mate......It's a thread to respect....

Some things are more complex.........than sometimes people think..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 11 Sep - 10:43

Do you not think there is an argument for people just liking substance / alcohol until it gets a grip? As opposed to turning to it for a reason? Bit of chicken and egg situation for me.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 10:49

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He didn't get his Son in the Oval office...........

W was the main reason Bush Sr got in there with his attacks on Dukakis being soft on crime !! Dukakis was leading in the polls..

Bush jr was his Dad's chief advisor..........in 88......

He may look dumb and lack intelligence but he is a very tough political fighter and very much underrated...

W did amazingly well to beat Gore who was a massive favorite.........

Can't stand him but you do him a disservice..

and with respect you don't really know what causes Oscar to behave like he does..

This isn't an invitation for a verbal joust mate......It's a thread to respect....

Some things are more complex.........than sometimes people think..
Oscar's obsession with Mayweather is consuming him. I drew a comparison with Bush given his obsession with Saddam and if you don't think Snr was prodding his son in that direction then fair enough. I do, it's my opinion but let's not get hung up on that too much. I could have easily used Fergie's obsession with knocking Liverpool "off their perch" and he spent nearly a quarter of a century pursuing that goal.

The fact is, Oscar has a bee in his bonnet about Floyd. He believes he could/should have beaten him that night (for the record, I don't think he was anywhere near beating Floyd but Oscar sees it differently) it's a itch he can't scratch and strongly believe it's one of the reasons he's in the state he's in now. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. Doesn't really matter one way or the other.

Fact is, Oscar's in a bad way whatever the reasons may be and I hope he gets the help he needs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 10:51

seanmichaels wrote:Do you not think there is an argument for people just liking substance / alcohol until it gets a grip? As opposed to turning to it for a reason? Bit of chicken and egg situation for me.
There's an argument for it and it's probably no less valid than any other reason people put forward.

We don't know we're just guessing/assuming/speculating. Only person who knows for sure is Oscar and until he gets that sorted he's never going to get to grips with his addiction.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep - 10:54

You remarked he got his Son into office..........I'm just putting you right as to say W deserves more respect than that.....A hugely savvy political mover......

You're spinning it to say I disagreed with your premise son wanted to finish Daddy's work....

I never disagreed with that..and you should behave..

No doubts Oscar is bitter about Floyd..but it's a reach to suggest his drug problems are all to do with that........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 11 Sep - 10:54

He's in the position because he is a weak character. No fancy story needed, he just lacks self control.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep - 10:57

He's a flawed character..................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 11:01

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You remarked he got his Son into office..........I'm just putting you right as to say W deserves more respect than that.....A hugely savvy political mover......
You're spinning it to say I disagreed with your premise son wanted to finish Daddy's work....

I never disagreed with that..and you should behave..

No doubts Oscar is bitter about Floyd..but it's a reach to suggest his drug problems are all to do with that........
With an extremely influential father....and I'm saying daddy wanted son to finish daddy's work, anyway, moving on....

As for Oscar, I may indeed be reaching but then again, I'm only offering my opinion, it's not going to be used as a basis to treat him is it? I certainly hope not, I wouldn't want to be responsible for that particular car crash

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep - 11:03

Why can't you just take being corrected with more grace...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 11:04

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why can't you just take being corrected with more grace...
I'm an arrogant pig, what's your excuse?

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 11 Sep - 11:12

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
huw wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

You also have to consider that drugs tend to be addictive because they feel really good. People don't get addicted to things that aren't enjoyable and when you are in that situation with a bottomless pit of money it would be even more difficult to sort yourself out..
You're wrong..It's easier for him to sort himself out because he can afford the best care available...........It's a mental defect addiction and it tends to come from a painful experience from ones past in a lot of cases.......You take to forget !!! Then get depressed you've taken so have depression from both sides !!

Even the most succesful people can suffer from depression...It's a vicious circle.  The real problem is when you can't afford to address your problem with the required professional help...

Oscar is lucky not unlucky.........Unlucky ones are those who have a family out-of-it's-depth trying to deal with an addict above their paygrade and an addict who can't get the necessary help !!
Truss, I'm obviously aware that you have had previous experience in this situation but one thing you have to understand as well is that everyones experiences are different. The most expensive care available is only a blessing if you actually want to help yourself, if you don't you would just have the finances to hide what you do better (or at least try as addicts aren't usually as clever at hiding things as they think they are).

Have personally had my own demons in this area and know for a fact that if I had the money to continue on the destructive path I was on I would have carried on.

No matter how many people are around you and trying to help you there is a time when you have to want to be helped.

You are completely right about the depression cycle except for me I never felt depressed when I started, I have always just liked getting off my face, it was a want to try new things and experiment with different states. However once I was involved I wanted to stop and realised it was making me depressed and then the depression cycle started when I couldn't stop myself. Then I would reward myself for going 2-3 days without by getting smashed.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 11:17

I appreciate it's an incredibly emotive subject for TRUSS and therefore I don't want this thread to disintegrate like most of the others I tend to post on, so with that in mind I'll call it a day on this one.

Suffice it to say that I wish Oscar well and no offence intended to anyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep - 11:18

My sister used to keep empty bottles in the washing machine.......

Fact is whilst I'm doing okay now ...I grew up in a family with little money and help back home is strictly limited for those with restrictive means....

Why I'll always be a liberal........

Also why I get p****d off when Brits moan about the NHS......

Wonderful invention..

Your story has an upbeat ending......and good for you kid...keep it up !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 11 Sep - 11:29

Huw, are you tea total?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 11 Sep - 11:47

seanmichaels wrote:Huw, are you tea total?
No, only have certain things that I enjoyed enough to be an issue. Quite capable of having a drink / getting drunk as it wasn't my vice and isn't something that I enjoy enough to get an issue from.

However there are other things that I will always be addicted to regardless of how long it has been since I did them. Many times I have felt that it has been a long time and would be able to dabble, everytime it has led to a very difficult spiral where my family get completely forgotten about and I become a mess again.

Think my biggest issue is that I got involved in things at a young age (mid teenage years) and had some great times doing bad things. When this happens at a junction like that in your life it tends to be something you look back on fondly and therefore are always chasing the same buzz you had back then. It is never the same and you then start the cycle again by trying to get more.

It is really tough and I know there was a comment earlier that it is for the weakminded. The weakminded would be the ones that can stop as they are likely to be convinced what they are doing is wrong. It is the strongminded that continue as they refuse to accept anything anyone around them says and single mindedly continue to look for the high. However comments like that get made so often you just have to accept that some people just don't have the same mindset that can understand what it is like to be so obsessed with one thing you are prepared to screw up everything around you.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep - 11:55

Everything is black and white to people like Lumbering Mate........

Real experience of issues makes the person realise the world is full of grey areas......

Addiction being one.......

One day at a time is a cliche...but an accurate assessment..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep - 14:12

I used to drink a lot and also take drugs now and again

I had a really good time

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 11 Sep - 15:11

Steffan wrote:I used to drink a lot and also take drugs now and again

I had a really good time
Steffan, that is appauling and I'm disgusted at you. If there is one thing I have learned is that you should always pay for your drugs.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep - 15:45

huw wrote:
Steffan wrote:I used to drink a lot and also take drugs now and again

I had a really good time
Steffan, that is appauling and I'm disgusted at you. If there is one thing I have learned is that you should always pay for your drugs.
I did used to pay for my Weed and M-Cat but a line of Charlie was always on someone else (yeah I know)...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Sep - 15:54

Steffan wrote: but a line of Charlie was always on someone else...
fair point steff... i always enjoyed snorting mine off the naked body of some young floosie

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 15:59

milkyboy wrote:
Steffan wrote: but a line of Charlie was always on someone else...
fair point steff... i always enjoyed snorting mine off the naked body of some young floosie
I take it TRUSS was young and needed the money?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Sep - 16:36

he was on his knees literally in those days, as he is figuratively these.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 16:46

milkyboy wrote:he was on his knees literally in those days, as he is figuratively these.
But still swinging which, again, may have a very different meaning

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 11 Sep - 16:46

Always found snorting any kind of powder rather vulgar. Doesn't flatter women and they talk even more shiiite than usual.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Sep - 16:56

... you prefer to inject sean?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep - 17:01

My ex used to put speed in her drink and take it that way. The convo was always rubbish with her so being under the influence was no different really

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 11 Sep - 17:31

Is this a forum of drug taking scum?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 11 Sep - 17:38

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Is this a forum of drug taking scum?
just scum.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 17:45

OasisBFC wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Is this a forum of drug taking scum?
just scum.
Staffan isn't just scum, he surpasses scum by some considerable distance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep - 17:49

DAVE667 wrote:Staffan isn't just scum, he surpasses scum by some considerable distance.
Your a really hard man behind your keyboard aint ya Dave OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep - 17:53

Steffan wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Staffan isn't just scum, he surpasses scum by some considerable distance.
Your a really hard man behind your keyboard aint ya Dave OK
Quite the opposite Steffan, I'm a terrified shambles of a human being who hopes he's never cornered by anyone he's ever offended on the forum as he's sure to get a richly deserved kicking.

My e-hatred towards you is a thinly veiled attempt to mask to admiration I have for you and your ability to rise above the quite frankly hurtful and unnecessary things I say to you on a regular basis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 11 Sep - 19:15

Take a chill-pill guys.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Sep - 19:30

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Take a chill-pill guys.
That's what got Oscar in trouble.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down