The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a curious question re wrestlers and their costumes

+5
Kay Fabe
Crimey
crippledtart
Adam D
The-Rizz
9 posters

Go down

a curious question re wrestlers and their costumes Empty a curious question re wrestlers and their costumes

Post by The-Rizz Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:12 pm

Here something I've always been curious about, and I wonder if anybody is able to shed some light on this for me.....

Who decides what sort of costume a wrester wears, and how much input do the wrestlers get into their attire?

For example the Big Show recently returned to the WWE and is now sporting a blue singlet as opposed to the standard black singlet that he usually wears. Would this have been a creative decision to change the colour of his singlet, of could the Big Show have asked for a change of colour? Same with Kofi Kingston and his recent change from trunks to longer tights. Who would have made the decision to change his costume

Also, for wrestlers who have a variety of different coloured attires, are they told what colour to wear for certain events, or can they choose? For example on this weeks Main Event, Cody Rhodes is wearing blue trunks, as opposed to the gold trunks that he wore on Raw. Does Cody get to choose which trunks he wears, or is it simply a case that his gold trunks were in the wash so he had to wear a different pair for his second appearance of the week?

Anyone able to give any insight into this curious question?

The-Rizz

Back to top Go down

a curious question re wrestlers and their costumes Empty Re: a curious question re wrestlers and their costumes

Post by Adam D Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:22 pm

I know that Ryback has the same singlet designer as RVD - there was a discussion on wrestletalk about it.

Apparently the designer made RVDs for years so I would think that if its a standard wrestling gear (ie singlet or trunks), then they get t choose their own.

I know that Sandow had to change away from his pink trunks as Cena was wearing pink for a few weeks due to the cancer charities.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

a curious question re wrestlers and their costumes Empty Re: a curious question re wrestlers and their costumes

Post by crippledtart Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:33 pm

Good question. Initially the promotion would have the biggest input (although it depends how important the outfit is to the gimmick. For example Kane and Bray Wyatt's outfits are of far more concern to WWE than Wade Barrett's or Curtis Axel's).

But once a wrestler is established, and if the outfit isn't crucial to the gimmick, it would pretty much be up to the wrestler.

They all have their own people who make their trunks etc for them. You'll notice that at Wrestlemania a lot of WWE wrestlers debut new colours. This is simply where they've made a special effort for the big event.

Obviously the company retains final say though.

One thing that's quite common is that wrestlers have their own 'trademark' colours, and WWE wouldn't be keen on lower card wrestlers stealing the colours of a major star. Hulk Hogan tends to be the only wrestler wearing yellow and red wherever he goes, and you don't see many WWE wrestlers in red and black because those are Kane's colours. Sometimes, the wrestlers themselves get very precious about it - Taz was extremely protective of 'his' orange and black colours. He was notorious for taking himself too seriously, which is in stark contrast to the product he is handsomely paid to accentuate.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:07 pm

Umaga was once attacked verbally backstage by Triple H (and I think Shawn Michaels) for wearing green and black around the time of DX's reunion, despite it not being anything like DX.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:16 pm

I think it was Shawn who wasnt happy that Umaga wore HHHs colours in a Trinute to the Troops, Orton was meant to have blew up big time backstage at this, he, Cena, Umaga and I think Kennedy were tight at the time but I think I recall Kennedy and Cena distanced themselves a bit from Orton after tha5

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:39 am

If you look at CM Punk as an example, he seems to change the colour and design of his trunks dependant of what event it is. I believe he gets all the say in what he wears since his meteoric rise to the top after the infamous pipe bomb. I think that most Raw episodes, he just wears the black trunks with a single colour decoration.
Events he's worn different trunks -

Money In The Bank 2011 - Chicago colours (Black Trunks, Red Stars, Light Blue trim)
Summerslam 2012 - Bret Hart colours (Pink and Black)
Summerslam 2013 - Wolverine colours (Black stars, Light Blue borders, Yellow trim)
Monday Night Raw 2011 - Macho Man Randy Savage Tribute (All Pink trunks, Yellow kickpads)
Night Of Champions 2012 - New York Yankees (White trunks with Black pinstripes)
Wrestlemania 29 - Undertaker (Grey trunk with Purple trim)
Payback 2013 - Chicago Blackhawks (Black trunks, Red, Yellow and White trim)

Others of note - G.I.Joe trunks (Camouflage trunks), Halloween (Black trunks with Orange trim).
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 30 Aug 2013, 3:59 am

I remember on The Evolution Of Randy Orton (title may be different) DVD he has his trunks with either a blue, red or green theme and he chooses each time which one he wears.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:06 am

Surely the question becomes.... How on earth does Big E Langston convince creative that having his a55 half out is not helpful to his image?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by MooChops Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm

IIRC I read somewhere that Macho Man used to change the colour of his outfit (in particular his hat?) depending on whether he was going to win or lose a title match. White for a win - black for a loss.

Damn google wont let me find the page now... mad

MooChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down