The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fastest man in rugby heading to Twickenham for World Club 7s

5 posters

Go down

Fastest man in rugby heading to Twickenham for World Club 7s Empty Fastest man in rugby heading to Twickenham for World Club 7s

Post by maestegmafia Sun 11 Aug 2013, 10:44 am

From ESPN.com

USA Sevens international Carlin Isles - the world's fastest rugby player - has been confirmed as one of the headline acts at next weekend's World Club 7s competition at Twickenham.

Isles, who has taken the Sevens World Series circuit by storm with his lightening pace in recent months, has been named in the San Francisco squad that will contest the inaugural title on August 17-18 with the likes of Premiership sides Harlequins and Northampton, Auckland from New Zealand, the Blue Bulls from South Africa and the Brumbies from Australia.

San Francisco head coach Jone Naqica, whose side have been drawn in Pool B alongside Buenos Aires, the Saints and the Blue Bulls who they open up against on August 17, has backed Isles to make a significant impression.

"I think our strength is our speed on the wing, especially with Carlin in the side. We will look to use him, put him in space and hopefully we can get success. It's a big boost to have Carlin in the team. With his speed he will give us an option for the guys around him and they can use him. He is a big player who will make the runs for us.

"He is one option but there are other guys like centre Jack Halalilo and scrum-half Mike Teo from the USA team who have been equally successful with their talents and we can also look to them. We are just looking to compete against the teams. I know they are all very good sides from all around the world. We are just going to take each game at a time."

And with the 2016 Olympics in the back of everyone's mind, Naqica believes there is an added incentive for his side to stamp their authority in the game's shorter format. "With 7s being an Olympic sport they are really pushing it here hard over here in America. We have got lots of younger kids getting involved in the San Francisco area, it's good to see.

"The national team has been really successful over recent years. And we have been able to bring some of the guys onto our team. We are hoping that these guys will bring that experience to the team for the tournament."

World Club 7s Draw:

Pool A: Gloucester, VVA Moscow Region, New York, Western Province

Pool B: Buenos Aires, Northampton Saints, San Francisco, Blue Bulls

Pool C: ACT Brumbies, Auckland, Harlequins, Kuban Krasnador

At the conclusion of the Pool matches, the teams in each Pool will be ranked 1 to 4. The top two from each of the three Pools will qualify automatically for the Cup Quarter-Finals and the remaining two Cup Quarter-Final places will be given to the two highest ranked third placed teams from the three pools. The teams placed 9 to 12 following the Pool matches will play in the Shield.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Fastest man in rugby heading to Twickenham for World Club 7s Empty Re: Fastest man in rugby heading to Twickenham for World Club 7s

Post by maestegmafia Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:35 am

Just bought four tickets for just over £100... Not bad

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Fastest man in rugby heading to Twickenham for World Club 7s Empty Re: Fastest man in rugby heading to Twickenham for World Club 7s

Post by doctor_grey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:57 am

How are tickets selling? Still good tix available? I'm flying back home on Friday night and it would be a nice surprise for my dad if we spent the day at HQ.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 12 Aug 2013, 12:06 pm

doctor_grey wrote:How are tickets selling?  Still good tix available?  I'm flying back home on Friday night and it would be a nice surprise for my dad if we spent the day at HQ.  
There seem to be a number available.. I think they are only trying to sell for the lower tiers, no worries about vertigo.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:07 am

Thanks!  I think you just finalised my plans for Saturday!

Its actually a shame that Twickenham won't sell out, but should be a fun couple of days regardless.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:06 am

It's live on BT Sports 2 both days to.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:17 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:It's live on BT Sports 2 both days to.
No substitute for the real thing Trev...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:06 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Very true Maes but I won't be going on both days & I'm sure their will be a lot of armchair supporters dipping in & out of the games.
That said I'm sure the bars will be busy at HQ. I hope you have a lot of stamina for the long day(s).

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:08 pm

Pool C: ACT Brumbies, Auckland, Harlequins, Kuban Krasnador
Give me a clue??

Edit: Googled it...Russia

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Very true Maes but I won't be going on both days & I'm sure their will be a lot of armchair supporters dipping in & out of the games.
That said I'm sure the bars will be busy at HQ. I hope you have a lot of stamina for the long day(s).
Get my rugby fill in early mate. Looks like September could be busy with work...!

Bring on the high skills and try-tastic sevens.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm

I read this as 'fattest' and got terribly excited. Slightly let down now, but still looking forward to seeing him.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Aug 2013, 5:00 pm

Yes its Carlin Isles not William "the fridge" Perry...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down