The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benji Marshall all but with the Blues next two years

+8
Bathite
nganboy
aucklandlaurie
InjuredYetAgain
blackcanelion
doctor_grey
Standulstermen
Taylorman
12 posters

Go down

Benji Marshall all but with the Blues next two years Empty Benji Marshall all but with the Blues next two years

Post by Taylorman Fri 02 Aug 2013, 9:42 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/8997544/Benji-set-to-sign-with-Blues-for-two-years

Many Auks fans are against this. They see Benji as part of the continuing sideshow of high risk throw the ball around rugby but I'm looking forward to it. Have always liked Benji's style. He's a gamebreaker and 10 is a position we havnt been able to fill adequately since Grant Fox and for a good period Carlos. Whether he plays there isnt sorted but I dont see him anywhere else...12 at best.

In saying that Benjis definitely in the Spencer, Quade mould and will look to take chances.

Like the talk of JKs vision for Auckland at the end as well. Lets hope theyre getting in there sorting the ever leaving youth, making playing for Auckland rugby the number one choice again. Benji is the type to advertise that fact perfectly.

Some of Marshalls skills from that other game. As you can see he's all over the place. Dig the quade long pass at 2.21 and the 50 meter drop goal at the end...crazy talent when the on buttons 'on'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=009TzYp4HDY

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Benji Marshall all but with the Blues next two years Empty Re: Benji Marshall all but with the Blues next two years

Post by Guest Fri 02 Aug 2013, 10:49 pm

There will be a number of Cardiff Blues fans feeling disappointed now reading that thread title and then thread content, Taylorman!

Back to top Go down

Benji Marshall all but with the Blues next two years Empty Re: Benji Marshall all but with the Blues next two years

Post by Standulstermen Fri 02 Aug 2013, 11:19 pm

Could he not play 12 or 13. Watching those clips it strikes me that his link play and step/pace are the attributes. I'm maybe being cynical but there's was nothiong there (it is league I suppose) to hint at controlling a game.

Didnt JK think Anscombe was a tad flaky for the blues at 10? I would be starting him at 12 or possibly 13 myself.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Aug 2013, 12:17 am

good call stan...letting Anscombe go remains JK's worst selection decision- hopefully this doesnt top it.... He...and no doubt the Chiefs thought he wasnt a 10, stood to deep and wasnt in the mix for his all out attack gameplan.

Trouble is no one saw his hugely successful switch to Fullback coming, and his goalkicking remains top notch- he's better than Cruden so dont know why Crudens taking the shots.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Aug 2013, 12:18 am

Griff wrote:There will be a number of Cardiff Blues fans feeling disappointed now reading that thread title and then thread content, Taylorman!

yes I forgot about that...now theyll know how South Africans sixth franchise must have felt over the last 3 months with all those posts about their side...Whistle 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 03 Aug 2013, 12:37 am

I had never heard of this guy until recently. Guess I don't follow League.

But regarding Carlos Spencer, I don't put Quade cooper in his class. I believe Spencer saw the full pitch in a way almost no one else has and tried to make plays accordingly. Terrific entertaining player. Quade is simply a nutter.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Aug 2013, 12:52 am

doctor_grey wrote:I had never heard of this guy until recently.  Guess I don't follow League.  

But regarding Carlos Spencer, I don't put Quade cooper in his class.  I believe Spencer saw the full pitch in a way almost no one else has and tried to make plays accordingly.  Terrific entertaining player.  Quade is simply a nutter.

yes doc he was much more successful but had the same trait of failing under pessure, trying things beyond his abilities at times and looked silly running backwards, falling over trying the ridiculous, his own side sometimes wondering what on earth he was doing.. But Coopers certainly not the ball carrier and stepper Spencer and Marshall are nor is he as pacy. All 3 however are prone to poor decision making/ execution because of their high risk play but when they pull things off- spectacular!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Aug 2013, 1:20 am

Tman, hasn't benji had terrible knee issues? I reckon he's not the stepper or excitement machine he used to be since his knee troubles, unfortunately. Do you reckon he's angleing for a spot on the Olympic 7s team?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Aug 2013, 1:24 am

naa, too old for that, he wont have the stamina in 2 years to handle Tietjens training runs let alone the matches. Plus if he has knee troubles- I dont follow him that closely... then he'll really struggle. I dont think he'll get past the Blues starting side at this point in his life, but could be effective there.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 03 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

ebop wrote:Tman, hasn't benji had terrible knee issues? I reckon he's not the stepper or excitement machine he used to be since his knee troubles, unfortunately. Do you reckon he's angleing for a spot on the Olympic 7s team?

Shoulders more of an issue both shoulders reconstructed I think.

I think there is more to Benji than just his game. He is marketing plus in both NZ and Australia. he was huge for the NRL and tigers in terms of income generation and profile.

People have run him down lately. But his stats aren't as bad as people think. One of the issues he's faced has been the wholesale reconstruction of his team. The NRL is a pretty merciless competition.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:06 pm

If you had to pick one of them for the 15's World Cup would it be Marshall or SBW?
Despite their success, I didn't think the NZRU was flush with too much cash and so be able afford both?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 07 Aug 2013, 7:43 pm

At this stage he will be paid $500,000 per annum out of Auckland Blues coffers.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:43 pm

Chuffing Nora. There must be some established NZ internationalists whose noses must be out of joint at that amount. Did the likes of Hayman etc not leave for better pay days yet all of a sudden a cool half-mil is found down the back if the settee

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:51 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:If you had to pick one of them for the 15's World Cup would it be Marshall or SBW?
Despite their success, I didn't think the NZRU was flush with too much cash and so be able afford both?

SBW is a proven star at 12 - where we only have Nonu backed up by Saili.
Marshall is not proven in a position where we have Carter, Cruden Barrett, Slade, Anscombe, Sapoaga, Weepu and overseas Donald, Evans all easily ahead of him. The Blues are the only team without a 10 with AB experience.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 08 Aug 2013, 4:54 am

SBW is in every way streets ahead of Marshall, but that said Marshall can hardly be proven when he hasnt played the game- SBW took 3 years to acclimatise fully.

But SBW is no bigger overall in League than Marshall. If he is its a close call.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:28 am

I'd have Marshall with zero union experience in my team over Donald 100 times over, every time!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm

Hasn't Benji been THE face of NZ rugby for years, more so than SBW?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm

Meant to say League...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 11 Aug 2013, 8:28 am

The deals been done and confirmed.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 11 Aug 2013, 8:29 am

Now we gotta find some locks.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 12 Nov 2013, 2:04 pm

Jeez only just saw this now. Wonder how he will get on. One of the few league players I have heard of.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 12 Nov 2013, 2:19 pm

I will look forward to seeing him in action, its a shame he couldn't have been tempted over when he was younger, the bloke is pure class.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 12 Nov 2013, 2:21 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:I will look forward to seeing him in action, its a shame he couldn't have been tempted over when he was younger, the bloke is pure class.
he is only 28 or something.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 12 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm

haven't seen to much of him, but watching that video, wouldnt he make an awesome 15? he looks like a bigger, faster, more evil-side-stepping version of jason robinson.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 12 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:I will look forward to seeing him in action, its a shame he couldn't have been tempted over when he was younger, the bloke is pure class.
he is only 28 or something.
Well in that case it seems like he has been around for years!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down