The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Joshua to turn pro with Matchroom

+9
manos de piedra
eddyfightfan
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
bhb001
milkyboy
KC
sparxz
Pound-for-Pound
Seanusarrilius
13 posters

Go down

Anthony Joshua to turn pro with Matchroom Empty Anthony Joshua to turn pro with Matchroom

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 07 Jul 2013, 11:42 pm

That's what I have heard from a not entirely reliable source, but one I trust. Great news if so.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua to turn pro with Matchroom Empty Re: Anthony Joshua to turn pro with Matchroom

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 08 Jul 2013, 12:09 am

Has been announced in the news but denied by Joshua and Matchroom, apparently he's hoping to hook up with Lennox Lewis to train him if he does turn pro. Good idea?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua to turn pro with Matchroom Empty Re: Anthony Joshua to turn pro with Matchroom

Post by sparxz Mon 08 Jul 2013, 12:14 am

Didn't work our well for price,

I saw the pair of them on ringside last week and they looked a little cosy, I don't see having someone with Lewis' experience being in your corner being a bad thing but he isn't a proven trainer, do I would get a different trainer but have Lewis in camp if possible.

How far do people see Joshua going in the paid ranks?

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 08 Jul 2013, 12:52 am

From what I saw at the Olympics I won't be expecting big things. He seems quite slow and plodding, his style is tense with little fluidity, Defence wasn't great: he was very open to combinations ( a flaw that the Cuban competitor took advantage of to, in my view, defeat Joshua).

He has proven himself to be a quick learner with his rapid rise through the amateurs and if that transfers to the pro game he may surprise me. I'm also waiting to see his chin tested with a big shot, I heard Dillian Whyte stopped him twice early in his amateur career but that may have been due to inexperience resulting in weaknesses both technically and mentally. Although they were both at the same stage of their amateur BOXING career Whyte was experienced in other martial arts forms.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Mon 08 Jul 2013, 1:36 am

If it's true I think it's terrible news - way too early - he's still so raw, only been boxing for 4 years. Obviously has some talent - silver @ Worlds & gold @ Olympics but he is not ready for the pro ranks yet.
IMO he should concentrate on Rio 2016 then turn pro or consider his options, there's no rush, ask Price!

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 08 Jul 2013, 1:55 am

I reckon the pro ranks are the best option for him, although he is raw and pretty new to the game he is the Olympic Champion. This means that he is now the best amateur Heavyweight in the world, with a lack of higher level competition to aim for it is possible that his development and skill progression will plateau.
I think his best option would be to attempt to go one better than his World Championships Silver and then turn pro.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 08 Jul 2013, 2:26 am

I think he is more suited to a professional style and he can take 10-20 fights at a low level to build his skillset. Nobody enters the pro ranks as a finished product

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:35 am

Winning the Olympics doesn't mean you're automatically the best amateur in the world, personally I thought Savon beat him in the Olympics & the decision in the final against Cammarelle was wafer thin - could easily have gone to the Italian.
He doesn't turn 24 until October so he has time on his side, heavyweights don't mature until 30 - let him learn his trade in the amateurs first.

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 08 Jul 2013, 8:32 am

Individuals mature at different ages, Tyson had been world champion for 3 years at Joshua's age. Sure Joshua was late to the game, and i'd agree he was lucky to win olympic gold. But he did... and its the big prize as an amateur, so to me he should be turning pro and learning his craft.

A bit brunoesque but a strong athlete, seems a student of the game and dedicated. If he has some whiskers I don't see why he shouldn't do well. It's not like he's entering a talent laden division.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 8:45 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:I think he is more suited to a professional style and he can take 10-20 fights at a low level to build his skillset. Nobody enters the pro ranks as a finished product

But will we let him? We push these fighters to take bigger and better fights, either for money or glory, and then bemoan the result when they come up short. I would like to see him develop through the British scene like times of yore, but do get worried that people will see him as a cash cow.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:29 am

Lewis shouldnt be allowed near him.

He needs a proven trainer to guide him through the beginning of his career.

The only reason Lewis was brought in for Price is because he is the last remaining friend cry baby Maloney has left.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:25 am

lewis cannot be judged on price, he was only advising him, he had a proper trainer, you can expect him to come over whisper something in david ears and boost his chin and stamina.

lewis seems intelligent, has the experience, the influcence and honesty to be a good trainer. if i was a heavyweight, i'd take lewis as a trainer in a heartbeat.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 08 Jul 2013, 2:34 pm

Lewis should not be judged on Price, but Joshua needs a proven trainer and not Lewis. it is imperitive that Joshua receives the right schooling at this point of his career. Lewis is too big a name and not proven as a trainer

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 08 Jul 2013, 2:39 pm

Lewis has no proven credentials as a trainer. It would be a major gamble to take him on. He hasnt struck me as a guy that has kept close ties with the sport. During the Olympics he wasnt aware of how the scoring system works and recently he came out and said that Vitali held two heavyweight titles which shows how closely he has been following the division. I wouldnt risk it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 08 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

Lost all respect for Lewis at the weekend due to one thing that nobody has mentioned.......anyone who wears sunglasses while indoors should always be disrespected!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:35 pm

I don't think Lewis has great boxing brain which is why Manny was the perfect trainer for him. Simple instructions that got the most of his physical gifts just like with Wlad. This doesn't fill me with confidence that he would become a great trainer at all and he would bring unnecessary pressure and media attention to Joshua.

I still think he should be staying amateur for a year or two as others have alluded to he is still new to boxing and he could learn from fighting top amateurs more where a loss wont hurt him so much rather than an extended diet of cans in the Pro game.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:37 pm

Doesnt matter either way, hes not really that good. He won the gold via robberies at the Olympics.

Average amatuer, and will be an average pro I think.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:46 pm

Let's not forget that his current trainer Rob McCracken has proven to be successful with top level professional fighters also. It's not entirely necessary, as it is with most fighters turning over, for him to look for a new trainer. I personally believe McCracken could really help Joshua progress and improve within the Professional ranks.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 08 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Doesnt matter either way, hes not really that good. He won the gold via robberies at the Olympics.

ABA champion after 18 fights, world silver in 2011, Olympic gold 2012.
What a shockingly average amateur CV that is, he should be ashamed of himself.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 08 Jul 2013, 4:43 pm

Very exciting if he decides to go pro. He won an Olympic gold medal while still very young and inexperience so he has masses of talent and potential. I definately think he can go all the way. Imagine in a few years we could have Fury, Haye, Joshua, Price fighting at the top with other fighters like Wilder. It would be exciting times for the division indeed.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 4:50 pm

Diggers wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Doesnt matter either way, hes not really that good. He won the gold via robberies at the Olympics.

ABA champion after 18 fights, world silver in 2011, Olympic gold 2012.
What a shockingly average amateur CV that is, he should be ashamed of himself.

I think there's good points in both your posts. I think it's maybe too early to say how good he'll be or not be. However, he has progressed nicely as his CV is showing. Furthermore, I do feel he got slightly fortunate with scoring in Olympics and the HW ranks aren't littered with much talent whether it be amatuer or pro.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down