The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray shows his class by donating his tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital

+19
Calder106
banbrotam
lydian
hawkeye
kingraf
The Special Juan
Duty281
carrieg4
laverfan
JubbaIsle
lags72
summerblues
Jahu
Henman Bill
Danny_1982
LuvSports!
CaledonianCraig
HM Murdock
time please
23 posters

Go down

Murray shows his class by donating his  tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital Empty Murray shows his class by donating his tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital

Post by time please Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:14 pm

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/tennis/queens/news/murray-donates-queens-club-winnings-to-charity_89258.html

Surprised not to see anybody posting this, but maybe it's on a thread somewhere?  LTA confirmed that Andy Murray will donate all his prize money to cancer charity.

It's a good heartwarming story anyway, so thought I'd share Very Happy

Last edited by time please on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

time please

Back to top Go down

Murray shows his class by donating his  tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital Empty Re: Murray shows his class by donating his tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital

Post by HM Murdock Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Well played than man.clap

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Murray shows his class by donating his  tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital Empty Re: Murray shows his class by donating his tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Oooooh wait until hawkeye sees this.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Take that hawkeye!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Oooooh wait until hawkeye sees this.

Laugh

I think even with hawkeye's legendary ability to spin, this might be a tough one!

Is that a gauntlet thrown down, or what? Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:03 pm

"clearly he just wants to be seen as doing the right thing"
or
"nadal would have donated more"
or 
"I hate murray damn it!"

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Or 'He has enough money anyway the greedy ********'
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:42 pm

She won't respond. If its Murray and can't be twisted into a negative she won't bother. 

She'll wait for the next meaningless story she can twist into "Murray murders kittens as part of training regime" or something.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Frankly I am bemused why Hawkeye hasn't been all over this smashing to ball into Lendl and celebrating wildly. It raises all sort of issues.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:50 pm

Let me play the HE : he would of paid 40% tax on it anyway, so gave it away.

Nothing new here, move along people...Nadal gave his little toe to church and I did not make a fuss...
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:10 am

Nice gesture from Andy thumbsup

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 am

I salute Andy for such a generous gesture thumbsup 

Would be absolutely amazed if anyone could find anything remotely negative to say about this (though you can never be sure  .....)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 pm

I've contacted my spirit guide and he has ensorcelled me with a Murray hater's previous existence, which just happened to be a Murray hater as well. Something to do with Karma or something......

He only did it cos Beckham did.
The winnings weren't worth the paper the cheque was written on.
Who cares, its no big deal for a £24M rich spoilt kid.
His Mum told him to.
The charity is owned by Murray, its just a tax evasion technique.
He's trying to win the crowd over for Wimbledon.
Mistakenly paid into the wrong account.
Its all lies, it has to be, it just has to be !!!

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:30 pm

@Jubba... I am surprised at such venom being directed at Andy. Crying or Very sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:00 am

laverfan wrote:@Jubba... I am surprised at such venom being directed at Andy. Crying or Very sad

You didn't get the irony bit then.... laughing

Re-read the 1st para and all shall be revealed. zen

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:34 am

Just read that Colin Fleming donated 10% of his prize money to the cause as well.

clap Colin thumbsup

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 pm

The feel good factor just keeps rolling on, long may it continue.... and hopefully it will steamroll Ross's disease. thumbsup

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Well done Andy Murray for a very nice gesture. clap

Good luck to him at Wimbledon as well. thumbsup

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Kyle Edmund donated half of his winnings from Eastbourne too.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Amazing gestures from Fleming and Edmunds as well clap

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:11 pm

he doesn't need the money, anyway. But I tell you what, they sure do, and for that alone I applaud Muzza. Between the Rafael Nadal Foundacion, Federer's work in South Africa ( and trust me, it is a lot), Djokovic's foundation and now this, I have to salute the big boys. Making a positive change in the world.

And more impressively, I salute the smaller guys who might need the money that much more. Fantastic work from British tennis.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:11 am

The Special Juan wrote:Kyle Edmund donated half of his winnings from Eastbourne too.

Is that true? What a remarkable gesture and one that he could little afford to do. Prior to the Eastbourne tournament Kyle had won just 8,940 dollars this year. A round of 16 loss will have added 8,100 dollars to his earnings. Giving away half of this represents roughly a quarter of his earnings this year!

This is an extreme example but why do the "poorest" give the most to charity? This from a study on charitable giving.

Li found that the poorest tend to give the highest proportion of their income. In 2010/11, the poorest 20 per cent of those surveyed gave 3.2 per cent of their monthly income to charity, while the richest 20 per cent gave just 0.9 per cent. The remaining 60 per cent of people gave less than 2 per cent.

He found the average amount donated by the richest 20 per cent was £31.44 and the average for the poorest was £6.35.

"An inverse relationship is found between giving and income," said Li. "While people in higher income positions are found to give more in absolute terms, they are found to give less as a proportion of their incomes or their family incomes.

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/1176810

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:14 am

That is a relatively massive gesture by an 18 yr old lad, and the doubles guys, who are making small money gains at this stage. But hats off to any of them making charitable donations, in a world of take-take its nice to hear these types of stories...maybe Wimbledon will also follow up with appropriate donations from their own profits too (Queen's donated £15,000).

Murray's donation is roughly 50% of the entire £160,000 raised so far.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:40 am

^ Yes but to match Kyle he needs to add another half million dollars to that total...

(CaledonianCraig. Look at my previous post to see the point I'm making before you get all defensive about Murray)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:44 am

hawkeye wrote:^ Yes but to match Kyle he needs to add another half million dollars to that total...

(CaledonianCraig. Look at my previous post to see the point I'm making before you get all defensive about Murray)

With all due respects hawkeye, that post praises Kyle Edmund and I would say it is a thinly-veiled dig at Murray as you try to make a point that poorer people (ie Edmund in this case) donate more than rich people (Murray as the case here). That is how I see it. I mean this thread has been open for a week and you are a regular here but have not once came on and posted up well done Andy a nice gesture or words to that effect.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:47 am

Well he doesn't need to add anything really....his total purse was huge, it's about absolute levels as well as %.

HE, don't forget Murray is Hutchins best friend, he's going to be best-man at his wedding and dedicated his Brisbane title earlier this year to him. We don't know what other support Murray is giving behind the scenes but suspect he'll be doing something else...

Murray shows his class by donating his  tournament winnings to the Royal Marsden Hospital Image20

This video is pretty amusing...and you can see they are clearly very close friends.

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:54 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
hawkeye wrote:^ Yes but to match Kyle he needs to add another half million dollars to that total...

With all due respects hawkeye, that post praises Kyle Edmund and I would say it is a thinly-veiled dig at Murray as you try to make a point that poorer people (ie Edmund in this case) donate more than rich people (Murray as the case here). That is how I see it. I mean this thread has been open for a week and you are a regular here but have not once came on and posted up well done Andy a nice gesture or words to that effect.

Ha ha! No in this case you've got it completely the wrong way round. I was trying to make a point but Kyle and Murray were the arbitrary examples. There are more important things than tennis.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:59 am

Have I? Somehow I don't think so.

Go on hawkeye say the four magic words - 'Well done Andy Murray'. Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:09 am

I hadn't seen this before...just the bit at the end really. This would have been a few days after Hutchins was diagnosed with HL.

Article about it here too published last Thursday, quite a touching read...and nothing to do with the amount of money Murray has donated or not. They are clearly best friends, it transcends money.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/20/sport/tennis/tennis-andy-murray-ross-hutchins-wimbledon/index.html
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:12 am

HE.

Why can't simply you just say something like "well done Andy"? Like we have often done when Nadal has shown such generosity

I thought you gave praise when it's due? Isn't it due here?

It's actually sad CC posted "wait until HE sees this" - sad simply because we all know anything good happening with Murray has you gnashing your teeth

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 am

" There are more important things than tennis."

Totaly agree with that Hawkeye. A well done to all who have given would have sufficed though rather than an analysis for percentages of giving. It's not how much a player has given it is the fact that they care enough to do it which shows the friendship and respect that they hold for Ross and the gratitude they want to show to those who have treated him. Hopefully it will help to aid treatment to others in the same position.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 am

Well done to Kyle Edmund. A massive gesture from him clap

As Lydian pointed at a lot of support is being given behind the scenes as well. Ross Hutchins is clearly well loved.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 am

Kyle seems a good kid, had things been different, South Africa could have been home to a 17-time Slam champion, as well a rising star in Kyle Edmund. That said, we do have one of our own.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:07 am

Only just seen this, very good of Murray, respect him for that
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am

It was pretty emotional, we didnt know what he meant until the next day

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:08 pm

This is just fantastic from andy, just astounding! Speechless 2bh!

"Andy Murray donated £1.6m #Wimbledon prize money to the cancer research and care at the Royal Marsden Hospital."

http://inagist.com/all/353956050740850688/

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:11 pm

LuvSports! wrote:This is just fantastic from andy, just astounding! Speechless 2bh!

"Andy Murray donated £1.6m #Wimbledon prize money to the cancer research and care at the Royal Marsden Hospital."

http://inagist.com/all/353956050740850688/

That is not true though apparently.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Tsk.

Selfish b@stard.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Apparently not - but it would be a difficult precedent to set for him because he'd be asked what he was doing about his winnings for ever after if he made a gesture like that, as would almost any sportsman.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:21 pm

He should start a Foundation, like Fed / Rafa. Maybe something really worthy like bringing electricity and running water to Glasgow.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Very Happy 

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:24 pm

bogbrush wrote:He should start a Foundation, like Fed / Rafa. Maybe something really worthy like bringing electricity and running water to Glasgow.

warning  Tut tut.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 am

http://www.dosomething.org/blog/celebsgonegood/andy-murray-makes-a-wimbledon-wish

And again.....what a fantastic year for this Wimbledon wish to come true!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:30 am

PS I do so agree with banbro's post at 12.12 on Sunday, June 23rd!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 am

bogbrush wrote:He should start a Foundation, like Fed / Rafa. Maybe something really worthy like bringing electricity and running water to Glasgow.

Hmm is BB shouted down for this or could I call him small-minded and mean. Of course not and see no need to either.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:54 am

We all know and many of us love BB's very dry humour and I think that is a dry quip in response to speculation from you and others about how people will find negatives.   I think you are vastly underestimating both BB's intelligence and his humour.  I'd love to know whether you agree with banbro's sentiment though - you neglected to say!  Isn't that sort of ignoring something that might not suit your argument - I've heard you pull HE up on that a few times.

I did not call you either small minded or mean - perhaps the way we comprehend writing is quite different.  What I did say is that to keep digging out a negative in a positive action 'makes you all look a bit mean spirited.'  There is a subtle but important difference ie, you are not mean, but a thought might be mean!

I said in a further thread that 'unless you want to be seen as small or mean' there is a point where it is not particularly tasteful to keep repeating negatives on a positive thread.  I didn't say this after the first time you posted something negative, but after the umpteenth repetition of the same thing - you can really labour a point and argument  so that it is tempting to just give into your form of water torture (enough, enough).  I am now labouring mine so I'm going to shut up forthwith!.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 am

If you are referring to this banbro post:-

banbrotam wrote:HE.

Why can't simply you just say something like "well done Andy"? Like we have often done when Nadal has shown such generosity

I thought you gave praise when it's due? Isn't it due here?

It's actually sad CC posted "wait until HE sees this" - sad simply because we all know anything good happening with Murray has you gnashing your teeth

Yes I do agree with it. I am nowhere near the same class as hawkeye for negativity towards Federer as she is towards Murray so would say that is an unfair comparison.

I won't cover your other points (old ground and all that) besides we must all stick to only positive posts about Murray here remember or else insults will fly. Wink 
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 am

Okay truce craig, and touche too Wink 

Of course you are not as negative about Fed as you know who is about  erm...you know who - in fact I have no issue with anything you feel from the positive to the negative about Fed or your expression of that generally.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:21 am

No problem time please. Hug 
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down