The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Backline at the start of next season

+9
ScarletSpiderman
IanBru
jimbopip
21st Century Schizoid Man
EST
Captain_Sensible
bluestonevedder
funnyExiledScot
13 posters

Go down

Glasgow Backline at the start of next season Empty Glasgow Backline at the start of next season

Post by 123456789 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:19 pm

With Weir out injured, and Wight and Jackson have their limitations, could Hogg start the season at 10 before Weir returns?

The attacking qualities in the following backline are pretty impressive:

9. Matawalu
10. Hogg
11. Lamont
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. VDM
15. Maitland

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Backline at the start of next season Empty Re: Glasgow Backline at the start of next season

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:26 pm

It's possible, although I think Jackson or Horne at 10 are more likely options, with Hogg at 15 and Lamont in the centre ahead of the Messiah.

It's certainly an attacking unit you've put together though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Backline at the start of next season Empty Re: Glasgow Backline at the start of next season

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm

Sorry, I might be a bit out of the loop with Rabo rugby, but who is the Messiah??

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:51 pm

9. Niko
10. Hogg
11. DTH
12. Horne
13. Dunbar
14. Seymour
15. Maitland

bench backs - Pyrgos, Bennett, Lamont

Horne to cover 10. That is an incredibly attacking backline, but with the ball that the forwards provide, it could be very effective. I think Toonie should give it a whirl. Hogg could be the best 10 Scotland has had since Rutherford. We need to find out.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:51 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Sorry, I might be a bit out of the loop with Rabo rugby, but who is the Messiah??

That's our nickname for Mark Bennett, future global superstar of an outside centre. Apparently.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

Ah, thanks Captain_Sensible. Was he the lad that spent some time in France...??

Name rings a bell at least. Is he the future in your eyes too? Didn't sound too excited!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:03 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Ah, thanks Captain_Sensible. Was he the lad that spent some time in France...??

Name rings a bell at least. Is he the future in your eyes too? Didn't sound too excited!

Yes, was on loan at Clermont.

I think he's the nuts. Ridiculous pace, good handling, powerful defender. Really, really promising. I hope he gets plenty of time for Glasgow next season, just to prove some of the more sceptical 606 brethren wrong Smile

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:Ah, thanks Captain_Sensible. Was he the lad that spent some time in France...??

I think he's the nuts. Ridiculous pace, good handling, powerful defender. Really, really promising. I hope he gets plenty of time for Glasgow next season, just to prove some of the more sceptical 606 brethren wrong Smile

Wow, certainly sounds like the real deal!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:47 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:

If you go to youtube and look for the Dragons vs Glasgow game from last season (the one that ended 3-60 to Glasgow) you'll see him starting at 13 alongside Dunbar at 12. Bennett got the opening try and had an all-round powerful performance.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

Yes, plenty of pace, guile and power in those back-lines. I really feel that Glasgow are just a 10 away from becoming a competitive team in Europe, whether thats Hogg, I'm not sure, but it's worth a shot.

Get a 7 in the door to challenge Fusaro and we are nearly ready for next season.

Interestingly, Finn Russell seems to be going very well in NZ, where he is on the Macphail scholarship - a potential outside bet for a few shots at 10 next season?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:

If you go to youtube and look for the Dragons vs Glasgow game from last season (the one that ended 3-60 to Glasgow) you'll see him starting at 13 alongside Dunbar at 12. Bennett got the opening try and had an all-round powerful performance.

OK Thanks Captain, will do.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

We have an incredibly attacking back line as it is/was in season past. See the record number of tries scored in the Rabo/Magners/Celtic Leagues. What we need is a FH who can control games - Dunky Weir or Good Jacko (not bad Jacko!) Horne is a good 12 so leave him there. Scott Wight may still play a part next season - I like the player and can kick too. As stated above we need another 7 - is the young lad from Sale a 7 ? - to challenge Fusaro/Harley. Lamont from the bench is always good to see - he must sit and seethe until unleashed. And yes Mark Bennett i- The Messiah - is going to be very good indeed angel

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:21 pm

On that there is a story in the NZ Times that the Highlanders open side John Hardie is being 'persuaded' by Scotland - Warriors must be favourites if this is true. Sean Lineen and all ! Good player who would do well at Scotstoun.

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:26 pm

Just seen the other post - sorry guys ! Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:26 pm

Stop the madness! Hogg is well on his way to being an excellent full-back so just leave him there. Just because Gattman dilly-dallied about asking J Wilkinson to go to Oz is no reason to mess with Hogg's best position. No Gattman style at Scotstoun.
Wee Dunkie is not the finished article yet, and needs time to garner experience, though I'm beginning to worry that Good Jacko might not have a lot more in him. As for Wight, perhaps he'll come good this season- but he's definitely supping in the last chance saloon, and keeping a bar stool for Jacko.
But to the main point Hogg is a 15, don't mess with his head.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 12 Jun 2013, 12:58 am

I don't think Hogg's future is at 10 - he thrives on a little bit of space and, while he was fantastic today, he simply won't get that space against quality opposition.

However, I like the idea of players who can transition to a new position at a certain point in the game - it was effective on a number of occasions last year when Pyrgos would come off the bench and Niko would shift out wide (or vice versa, with Pyrgos going off) and cut the opposition up.

If this backline started:
9. Niko, 10. Horne, 11. DTH, 12. Dunbar, 13. Lamont, 14. Maitland, 15. Hogg

It could, under certain circumstances, shift to this:
9. Pyrgos, 10. Hogg, 11. Lamont, 12. Horne, 13. Dunbar, 14. Niko, 15. Maitland

We could even shift Vernon to 12, Dunbar to 7, Bennett to 2, 3, 4 and 5 (but not 1 - that would be silly.) and send Harley out to buy the factor 1000 he so badly needs.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:We have an incredibly attacking back line as it is/was in season past. See the record number of tries scored in the Rabo/Magners/Celtic Leagues. What we need is a FH who can control games - Dunky Weir or Good Jacko (not bad Jacko!) Horne is a good 12 so leave him there. Scott Wight may still play a part next season - I like the player and can kick too. As stated above we need another 7 - is the young lad from Sale a 7 ? - to challenge Fusaro/Harley. Lamont from the bench is always good to see - he must sit and seethe until unleashed. And yes Mark Bennett i- The Messiah - is going to be very good indeed angel

Isn't he blood hard enough as it is, without winding him up first?

I think Glasogw are looking very good, and IMO in Weir and Jackson you have two good, and contrasting, fly halves. I am not too sure another one is really required.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:41 am

I think we the youngster Finn Russell joining up, Wight in there as cover (probably only for this season) and Horne able to cover 10, with Weir and Jackson fighting for the starting jersey Glasgow are well stocked with options at 10.

Glasgow's options are pretty decent in most positions in fact, with only 7 not having two strong alternatives.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:On that there is a story in the NZ Times that the Highlanders open side John Hardie  is being 'persuaded' by Scotland - Warriors must be favourites if this is true.   Sean Lineen and all !   Good player who would do well at Scotstoun.

That's an interesting spot, just read an article where he confirms his eligibility for Scotland so he must be considering the possibility of coming over. Looks to be a very impressive player.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 12 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

And also rumours of a 'Saders centre - KiwiPete might know if any are Scots qualified?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

Still like to see us find a Niko type 'project player' or two in Fiji. Alternatively we could expand our McPhail Scholarship beyond NZ and send all our scrumhalfs to play in Fiji for a few weeks to 'learn the mindset'.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

Lads, if it weren't for an untimely injury young Duncan would have been the no.1 10 for Scotland this summer. Hoggy is an awesome fullback and needs to stay there! Trust me, Wee Dunc is only 22, plenty of time for him to grow and mature... He'll have competition next season to keep him sharp and a full preseason too. He should be getting his moonboot off in the next week or so, just in time for preseason!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

Clyde - any exam results to report yet?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Jun 2013, 8:02 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:And also rumours of a 'Saders centre - KiwiPete might know if any are Scots qualified?

Really? The Saders centres are Adam Whitelock, Ryan Crotty and Robbie Fruean. I think that Robbie's a bit too Samoan to be linked to the old country (mind you, it didn't stop Maitland) and the Whitelocks are a legendary family - such that mum and dad Whitelock (Braeden and Caroline) are fairly well known and I can't find anything to suggest that there's any Scottish lineage. Crotty? Don't know.

Any of them would be an amazeballs signing, incidentally.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 13 Jun 2013, 1:23 pm

George, happy to report I'm now Doctor Clyde... Happy days! Although this does mean I'm no longer Clyde!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Jun 2013, 1:42 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:George, happy to report I'm now Doctor Clyde... Happy days! Although this does mean I'm no longer Clyde!

clapclapclap  As a doctor, you'll know all about being given the clap.

Long, long hard slog through pre-clinical and clinical - congratulations. Now you can light up a hundred dinner parties by offering to look at that 'interesting rash' that only you can see all over young ladies in a 'private consultation' round at Chez UiG.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 13 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:George, happy to report I'm now Doctor Clyde... Happy days! Although this does mean I'm no longer Clyde!

Clyde, super news:OK:clap
Made up for, as they say.
It's early notification but it would appear that I have managed to persuade a cohort from my rugby club to descend upon t'Stoop for the Warriors visit on 24th August. Strong drink just may be taken. If any regular posters are going and fancy helping balance the numerical odds, me and no.1 son being the token weegies at the club, then let me know.

Clyde your parents must be so proud, well done again. Jimbopip.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 13 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

picard Of course that should have been Doctor Clyde:bubbly:

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:03 am

Doc Clyde - nice ring to it UiG.  Congrats - is the coo heid vacant ?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:13 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Doc Clyde - nice ring to it UiG.  Congrats - is the coo heid vacant ?
If it was vacant he wouldn't be Doc Clyde he'd be Dopey Clyde, jt like the rest of us numpties.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 15 Jun 2013, 1:25 pm

Aye Jimbo see what you mean.   I was thinking more along the lines of change of career type opportunities ! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down