The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch v Adonis

+19
mobilemaster8
winchester
BoxingFan88
ShahenshahG
milkyboy
ian_jamsie
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
88Chris05
Gerry SA
bhb001
Haito
Sir. badgerhands
Adam D
TopHat24/7
manos de piedra
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Mr Bounce
azania
23 posters

Go down

Froch v Adonis Empty Froch v Adonis

Post by azania Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Make it happen Eddie. Stephenson claimed that Froch ducked him hence he went up to grab himself a title. He can still make 168. Instead of Froch chasing the impossible (beating Ward) let him fight Adonis in what will be a war. Last man standing and all that.

My pick? Adonis via late bludgeoning ko. Froch has always been hittable and by jove does Adonis hit. But Adonis is not that good a boxer. Can Froch tame him like he did Artur Abraham? I have serious doubts.

Thoughts

azania

Back to top Go down

Froch v Adonis Empty Re: Froch v Adonis

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Stephenson hits like a mule but he's crude. Froch is underrated for his boxing skills - but he's also smart enough to know when to stay out of trouble. I doubt he would let Adonis get close enough to test his jaw. Froch by easy UD.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 am

Adonis is a one trick pony on the wrong side of 30. Froch is a bit more awkward and has a better chin and better power than Dawson who seems to be a bit of a mess at the minute what with changing trainer and dropping weight, taking a hiding of Ward then going straight back up to LHW to get spanked again.

Would be a good fight though no doubt, Froch has more to his game than Adonis so I too agree a wide points win or late stoppage for the cobra.

The Stevenson hype train seems to be gathering some pace now.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 am

I have my doubts that Hearn will be chasing Ward. Likely to be the opposite at the moment I would think.

Its an interesting fight but I would wonder if Stevenson would want to come back down to 168. He has plenty of options at 175. Some natural rivals there in big fights. Plus a mandatory in Bellew in the near future. I dont think jumping down to 168 is a great idea and Froch has never seemed keen on going to 175.

I think you are underrating Froch, perhaps seeing as hes not your favourite fighter in the world. Although hes hittable, which is a plus for Stevenson, there are few fighters in the game at the moment with a more proven ability to come through a tough fight and hold up in durability. If it becomes a war I think Froch is better equipped. Stevenson is just as hittable, less skilled and probably less durable. Id fancy Froch to be able to outbox him and outslug him if neccessary. Always the chance Stevensons power could break Froch but Id considered that very much the underdog percentage.

Id go with Froch to take out Stevenson somewhere in the mid rounds. Stevenson is alot wilder, cavalier and defensively open than Abraham. With that in mind Im not sure Froch can keep him in the same manner as Abraham however when the exchanges do occur I think Froch gets the better of them and can soak up the punishment more effectively.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:56 am

Don't think Stephenson adds anyting to Froch's resume if he won and detracts if he lost. High risk low reward plus I'm guessing Adonis won't leave his back yard (again) so Froch would be travelling, unless it could be made in Vegas which would be a fair alternative.

Adonis is old and has a huge punch but little else, until he rematches Dawson away from home I'm putting little stock in the weekend's result.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Stephenson hits like a mule but he's crude. Froch is underrated for his boxing skills - but he's also smart enough to know when to stay out of trouble. I doubt he would let Adonis get close enough to test his jaw. Froch by easy UD.

Surely you would have said the same about Kessler? And yet he stood there and traded (and got hit a lot)!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:09 am

Adonis is crude bludgeoning fighter.

Seriously think Froch would walk it against him the same way he outfoxed Abraham.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 am

Adonis would have his moments but Froch has got a great chin and is the much better all rounder so couldnt see an upset happening here. Froch to win this well.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:39 am

Would be interesting in Froch did step up and beat two belt holders (Adonis and Clev) and retired.

Really would be pushing JC for greatness then......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:35 am

[quote="TopHat24/7"]Would be interesting in Froch did step up and beat two belt holders (Adonis and Clev) and retired.

Really would be pushing JC for greatness then......[/quote]

Not really. He would be seen / accused of doing it the easy way, which is definitely not Froch's style. Plus the loss against Ward will always be against him unless he turns that over, which is not very likely for a number of reasons (let's not explore that particular one again, please).

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Until Dawson was bullied by Ward, he'd never been dropped.

And obviously Stevenson blasted him head off.

So Dawson had a great chin.

If Stevenson landed on Froch's chin, Froch isn't getting up.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Ah yes, I was wondering how long it'd be before the 'Froch ducked Stevenson' bandwagon rolled in to town (I believe it was Az, predictably enough, who gently implied it at the weeked after Stevenson's win, too). I expect it to gather a lot of momentum in the coming months, and for Stevenson's abilities to be blown out of all proportions with it.

Fair enough, Stevenson caught Bad Chad with a superb shot and is obviously a puncher to be reckoned with, but it's not as if he's consistently been dropping the hammer like that against high-class opposition beforehand. From what I've seen of him (and it wasn't long ago that I saw his second fight with Boone, in which he looked distinctly average), if he can't find the pay off punch, he's quickly out of ideas. Dawson's chin has always been sturdy enough but it's also noteworthy that, while he's boxed a series of fine names at 175, none of them have really been big hitters. The closest he's come is probably old man Tarver. Stevenson caught him with a cracker but, until Adonis shows a little more on the world scene, I'm more inclined to believe that his win at the weekend was the exception, not the rule.

Anyway, as for Froch-Stevenson if it were to happen, I'd back Froch heavily. I don't see Stevenson repeating highlight reel knockouts like Saturday's against the best between 168 and 175 all that often (just as Martinez hasn't dramatically turned out the lights the way he did against Williams in any subsequent fights) and Froch has shown time and again that he's a hard man to outfight. As for Adonis' chances of outboxing Carl, the less said about them the better. Froch is no slickster, of course, but still has enough tools to teach Stevenson a lesson or two and Stevenson just doesn't have that speed or those polished skills to frustrate Carl the way Taylor, Dirrell and Ward did.

Froch by wide, wide decision, though I wouldn't rule out a late stoppage, either.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Chris I know on the podcast last week we spoke about how you felt Dawson could have lost something during the beating from Ward.

Do you feel that is the case aftert the weekend?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Dawson started too aggressively, and he payed for it

Froch will start by throwing the jab often and hard and Adonis doesn't move his head much so will struggle to land. If he for slabs, Froch has the chin to take his power at least for a couple shots

After the first 4 rounds Adonis will be running out of ideas and Froch will start applying the pressure while keep throwing the jab and barring a lucky shot, Froch could get a stoppage around te 10th

Adonis is a puncher and nothing else and Froch has a great chin and is the better boxer with more experiance

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm

[quote="bhb001"]
TopHat24/7 wrote:Would be interesting in Froch did step up and beat two belt holders (Adonis and Clev) and retired.

Really would be pushing JC for greatness then......[/quote]

Not really. He would be seen / accused of doing it the easy way, which is definitely not Froch's style. Plus the loss against Ward will always be against him unless he turns that over, which is not very likely for a number of reasons (let's not explore that particular one again, please).

Not really, JC's LHW exploits are limited to scraping past old man Hoppo (a result that only looks good in hindsight given BHop's further exploits) and an irrelevant result against a totally shot RJJ.

And, when comparing Froch & JC, I don't see the relevance/usefulness of Ward as a yardstick as he is vastly superior to anyone JC ever thought therefore I don't see how he can be used to knock Froch in comparison.

What defines the difference to me still is the Kessler fight(s) where JC's brilliant win against a better younger unbeaten Dane is better than Froch's 1-1 several years later.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Adonis wasn't the number 1 challenger at the belt and hadn't fought anyone of note prior to Dawson.

Plus he had been sparked out by a unknown not all that long ago.

Dawson was caught above the ear. Remember that Enzo vs Norton fight donkeys ago. 1st fight smashed each others faces in for 12 rounds.

Fight 2 Enzo lands just above the ear early scrambbles his senses. Fight over.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

The unknown that sparked him was the same unknown that separated ward from his senses before dropping a pretty tight decision. If the punch that dropped ward had happened earlier in the round the son of god might not still have his 0. So Stevenson is at least in good company.

From the fights I've seen of Stevenson he's a dangerous banger, but like a lot of that ilk he's open himself. Even with froch's good chin he'd need to be wary for a few rounds, but once stevenson's pace drops I'd expect froch to take over and win, probably by stoppage.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:14 pm

hampo171 wrote:Chris I know on the podcast last week we spoke about how you felt Dawson could have lost something during the beating from Ward.

Do you feel that is the case aftert the weekend?

I think there's a chance that he may well have lost something within him, yes - but I don't think Saturday's result serves as proof. The fight was over before Dawson really had a chance to get going, and I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to gauge exactly where he's at until I've seen him in prolonged action again. If Dawson and Stevenson were to rematch, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Dawson box his way to a clear decision victory, for instance.

I don't really think Dawson did an awful lot wrong for the knockout, as I've said before. He wasn't in reverse, but he didn't exactly walk right on to it wide open, either. Boxing, rather than brawling, has always been Dawson's game so hopefully he'll be matched next with a competent boxer who carries less of a knock out risk so we can see exactly what he has left and how his mindset is in light of his last two results.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Think froch takes this one quite easily probably ko within 6

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Adonis has been pancaked by a Journey man before, he would have a slight chance to knock out Froch, but I would pick Froch to knock him out.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Froch against Ward in the UK would be a much better fight. If Ward wont come to the UK then Id prefer to see Froch against Groves or Cleverly. Froch is getting long in the tooth now so he wont have many fights left before he retires.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:44 pm

winchester wrote:Froch against Ward in the UK would be a much better fight. If Ward wont come to the UK then Id prefer to see Froch against Groves or Cleverly. Froch is getting long in the tooth now so he wont have many fights left before he retires.

Finally. A post that makes sense.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Froch ducking Stevenson is nonsense. Pre Dawson he had no evidence of being able to beat world class opposition and even now he's proven nothing we didn't already know: he can punch.

The idea that Froch would duck Adonis to face Kessler is like jumping out the way of a car into the path of a lorry.

If I were Eddie I'd get it at 175 so he can take a belt their too (infact, wouldn't that make him lineal champ?) Then he can choose money fights like Groves until retirement.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Froch doesnt duck anyone

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:22 pm

Adam D wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:Stephenson hits like a mule but he's crude. Froch is underrated for his boxing skills - but he's also smart enough to know when to stay out of trouble. I doubt he would let Adonis get close enough to test his jaw. Froch by easy UD.

Surely you would have said the same about Kessler? And yet he stood there and traded (and got hit a lot)!

Kessler is a top quality technician and brilliant mover, who can get in and out of range very effectively and has an excellent jab to judge the distance with and blind you with to ctach you with a quick right or hook, the same cannot be said for Adnois who is a pretty straightforward banger. It was inevitable Froch was going to have to fight fire with fire at times against Kessler, maybe would have to against Adonis at times, but generally speaking his footwork and boxing IQ would keep Stevensons Hayemakers at bay much more than he could with someone as fantastic a fighter as Kessler.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Froch v Adonis.............Must be a mistake.. I retired twenty years ago..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 pm

You were called froch 20 years ago?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 pm

He was called V for Vagina (formerly C***) so we could circumvent the swear filter 20 years later

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 pm

That actually sounded a lot less harsh in my head, sorry beefster Hug

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:He was called V for Vagina (formerly C***) so we could circumvent the swear filter 20 years later
Nice to see Men as well as chicks followed my career closely back then.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:He was called V for Vagina (formerly C***) so we could circumvent the swear filter 20 years later

Nice to see Men as well as chicks followed my career closely back then.............

Cannabis was quite cheap back then.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by lowpylord Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Adonis Vs Pascal is the fight to be made.

lowpylord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down