The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist

+16
Hero
Mind the windows Tino.
mystiroakey
bhb001
Dolphin Ziggler
NickisBHAFC
kingjohn7
Union Cane
Stella
ChequeredJersey
Il Gialloblu
The Special Juan
MIG
The Womble
Adam D
sodhat
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PICK YOUR TWO FAVOURITES

Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap3%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap2%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap1%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap3%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap4%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap1%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap4%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
[ 3 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap9%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 10 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap6%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap13%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 14 ]
[ 3 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap8%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap8%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 9 ]
[ 4 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap6%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap7%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap2%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 4 ]
Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_lcap7%Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 107

Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Empty Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist

Post by sodhat Tue 28 May 2013, 12:59 pm

Onwards, to round two. Before that though, here are the selections from the last round and everyone is named and shamed. If your song choice happens to have a number alongside it, you're one of the lucky people that scored points. If it doesn't, your song, and taste in music, is awful.

Tino - London Calling 4
Adam D - Bohemian Rhapsody 7
Julius - I Am The Walrus
Nando - Smells Like Teen Spirit 9
Cherriesfna - Teletubbies
Sodhat - There is a light that never goes out 5
Enforcer - Don't Stop Believing
TSJ - Don't Look Back in Anger 8
Hero - Teenage Kicks 10
Azzy - Livin' On a Prayer by Bon Jovi
Galted - Wuthering Heights
Il Gialloblu - Ghost Town 1
VDT - I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight
Kenny - Superstition 7
Chris W - Modern Love
The Boss - Cast No Shadow
Chequered - Under Pressure 3
Mysti - Roxanne
Gregers - Keep On Movin' 3
Union Cane - Mull of Kintyre
crazygangwomble - Never Tear Us Apart
Stella - Sailing 1

Round 2 is songs by female vocalists, so please pick TWO songs from the poll above.

Here are some reasons for the selections in this round:

A song sung by a female vocalist: I Just Can't Get You Outta My Head by Kylie Minogue - best video of all time, one of the catchiest tunes as well. Just remember the video when you're voting...

Vogue (Madonna) - Not the greatest female singer ever (that was Karen Carpenter), in fact she wasnt even in the top 10 but this song redefined Madge. A great pop song that had a million disco goers trying to vogue. Iconic.

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights - Rather Ironically, I have gone for another 70's tune. A haunting masterpiece of a song.

My Immortal - Evanescence
Not a huge fan the female voice but Amy Lee voice is superb and My Immortal is beautifully haunting song.

1) Cocteau Twins - Pearly-Dewdrop's Drops - not quite sure what it's about but it's both frantic & soaring, Elizabeth Fraser's voice is an instrument on its own

Female Vocalist- Landslide- Fleetwood Mac. Stevie Nicks. Probably the sexiest female voice I've heard. Could have picked any Fleetwood Mac song with her in it really.

Stan- Eminem and Dido- Both artists' best work, where Eminem's rapping skills and clever lyrics work on the melancholy tones of Dido to tell a heart-breaking story in a scarily realistic manner. Masters' increasing rage and the angry later lyrics clash beautifully with the unchanging Dido sample and it may be one of the best works of sampling of all time. I don't like rap but I do like this and that's because it is class.

You're So Vain - Carly Simon ................ my theme tune

"And IIIIIIIIIIIII-ee-IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu". Need I say more? Bad karaoke singers everywhere rejoice.

Force & Styles featuring Jenna - Heart of Gold : Absolute stonker of a tune, the familiar Force & Styles formula is all in there, the four-beat with off/on snare, the off-beat stabs, and a powerful piano break, however it is the vocal from Jenna that takes this one to the next level. I've seen many a roof come off when this one was dropped. Fantastic stuff. HTID.

Sleeping Angel - Not her most well-known song, but one of her most powerful, heart-felt vocals.

Respect - Aretha Franklin: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Take care, TCB
Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me). I'm a grown man, married with 2 kids. Stick that song on the record player and I'll be screeching it out like a diva!

----------------------------------------

Round 3 will be songs by a US born solo artist. For the record that includes people like Springsteen who have backing bands, but are essentially solo artists.

Get your PMs into me as soon as you can.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Empty Re: Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist

Post by Adam D Tue 28 May 2013, 1:27 pm

Nomination for Round 3 sent!

Another huge catalogue of songs to pick from!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist Empty Re: Music Cup - Round 2: Songs featuring a female vocalist

Post by Adam D Tue 28 May 2013, 1:30 pm

I went for Janis Joplin and Carly Simon in this round and neither were my own song! Found this easier than the last round truth be told.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 May 2013, 1:47 pm

I went for Carly Simon and Kate Bush. Neither were my own song and I too found this easier to vote.

I thought Nobody Does It Better by Carly Simon from The Spy Who Loved Me might have been nominated as that is an amazing song. I like her voice, its a very sweet voice.

Went for Kate Bush as that song reminds me of my childhood, it used to be on loads of compilation tapes we had in our car. Plus my dad hates it!!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 28 May 2013, 2:22 pm

Tracy Chapman and Kate Bush for me.

There are other artists on the list that I prefer but not necessarily the song choices.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 28 May 2013, 2:42 pm

I don't listen to women so I panicked and picked the first song I thought of. In hindsight, it was the worst song I could have picked and I should have picked Zombie picard
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 28 May 2013, 2:46 pm

Was hard to choose as nothing really stood out. And not in a good way. Lots of songs that do nothing for me. For that reason, I went with my own as I think it genuinely deserves a vote and (what I presume is) Union's out of respect for him picking something he likes but NOBODY else does.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 May 2013, 2:52 pm

Landslide and Respect, neither my own. Forgot about Blues/soul for some reason when nominating
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 May 2013, 2:56 pm

Listened to big yellow txi to see what the original sounded like too, but found it pretty meh
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 28 May 2013, 2:57 pm

Went for Yellow Taxi and Like A Prayer. Neither are in my all time top 100, mind.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 28 May 2013, 3:04 pm

Thanks IG, a sympathy vote is better than no vote at all.

I might struggle with the "US born" round, they just don't get it over there.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 28 May 2013, 8:22 pm

I won't vote for my own choice (it is akin to masturbation in my book) so I've gone for Joan Jet, as there was a funny little guy in the pub I used to go to who belted it out on the karaoke every Friday, and secondly You're So Vain for it's wonderous lyric "Clowns in my coffee" which is what I thought it was for years.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 28 May 2013, 8:43 pm

Also, I might garner more votes from the wider community rather than just the so-called music experts, so can this be globalised please.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 28 May 2013, 10:44 pm

Janis Joplin, Tracey Chapman

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 28 May 2013, 11:30 pm

AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYYYYYSSSS LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 28 May 2013, 11:44 pm

Went for my own (Janis Joplin) and Stevie Nicks as my second choice for this category was a Stevie Nicks song. Cracking voice. I dont listen to a lot of female singers cos I generally like to sing along but that Janis Joplin song is one of my favourites ever, wonderful song.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 28 May 2013, 11:46 pm

You're so vain is very good too. Surprised no Amy Winehouse on the list

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 29 May 2013, 7:07 am

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:Went for my own (Janis Joplin) and Stevie Nicks as my second choice for this category was a Stevie Nicks song. Cracking voice. I dont listen to a lot of female singers cos I generally like to sing along but that Janis Joplin song is one of my favourites ever, wonderful song.

I would agree with both of these statements. I voted for Janis and Carly OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 29 May 2013, 7:52 am

When voting I forgot about Tracy Chapman's 'Baby Can I Hold You Tonight' a simple brilliant tune.

Also, Carly Simon's 'Nobody Does It better' is er better than 'You're So Vain' in my humble opinion.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 29 May 2013, 7:59 am

I had to go for You're so Vain and Big Yellow Taxi due to the superb writing of the lyrics. Simple, humourous, effective. Great examples of lyric writing.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 29 May 2013, 9:27 am

Fast Car and Landslide

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 29 May 2013, 9:35 am

This isn't as strong as the last round but some good choices.

Like a Prayer needs more votes though. That was Madge at her most relevant.

The video alone deserves at least 11 votes. The young girl getting killed by the white gang but the black fella getting caught, then Madge singing in front of burning crosses and and the obvious racial connotations of that imagery and, heaven forbid, a black Jesus! This was Madonna doing what she used to do best, being innovative, controversial and deeply upsetting the white mainstream US media. All wrapped up in a great tune.

And her norks were fantastic in the video.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 29 May 2013, 12:53 pm

I was seriously considering an Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holliday track as my choice, wonder how either of those would have done?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 29 May 2013, 1:45 pm

Yay im not losing this round either
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 29 May 2013, 2:12 pm

sodhat

I sent you a Pm yesterday morning with my round 3 picks but its still in my outbox , is your in box full ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 29 May 2013, 4:27 pm

I would do anything for love but I wont do that music Sad that no one mentioned it.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2013, 4:41 pm

"My Immortal" is a great song (even though I consider myself "proper" metal and not into this pop-metal stuff) and whilst I'm more likely to choose Arch Enemy (Angela Gossow on vocals) over Evanesence to listen to, "My Immortal" is a much better song that "The Immortal"

Also have to say that I love Rebecca Ferguson's voice.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 29 May 2013, 7:07 pm

Kenny wrote:sodhat

I sent you a Pm yesterday morning with my round 3 picks but its still in my outbox , is your in box full ?

No no, I haven't opened any yet because I've not made my own choice. Ought to get on to that really!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 29 May 2013, 7:14 pm

Ok no problem
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 9:24 am

Need nominations from Tino and Julius as soon as possible, please. I'll get the 3rd round thread up today.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 9:36 am

And while we wait - here are the scores from the last round:

Il Gialloblu - Atomic - 10
Kenny - You're So Vain - 9
Hero - Respect - 8
Stella - Wuthering Heights - 8
Chris W - Piece of My Heart - 6
Mysti - Fast Car - 6
Chequered - Stan - 4
Azzy - I Just Can't Get You Outta My Head by Kylie Minogue - 3
The Boss - Landslide - 3
Nando - Bring Me To Life - 1
Cherriesfna - Barbie Girl - 1
Enforcer - I Love Rock N Roll - 1
TSJ - I Will Always Love You - 1
crazygangwomble - Big Yellow Taxi - 1
Tino - Like A Prayer
Adam D - Vogue
Julius - Sleeping Angel
Sodhat - Kiss With A Fist
Galted - Pearly-Dewdrop's Drops
VDT - My Immortal
Gregers - Skyfall
Union Cane - Heart of Gold

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 30 May 2013, 9:51 am

Just to be clear, am I supposed to pick a song that I like or a song that I think will get the most votes (ie probably a song that I don't like) ?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 9:56 am

Well, it's a point scoring game, so you are supposed to be a bit populist. The idea would be that your taste is so good that you can just pick your favourite tracks and they'll get votes. I'm not certain that applies to you...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 10:00 am

I've picked two songs I love in both rounds and it's worked for me!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 30 May 2013, 10:01 am

0 points so far would suggest you are right.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 30 May 2013, 10:04 am

I picked Ms Bush because it's a great song and it's done well. Not sure my next choice will do so good.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 10:08 am

I also need a nomination from VDT for round three.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 10:10 am

sodhat wrote:Need nominations from Tino and Julius as soon as possible, please. I'll get the 3rd round thread up today.

Sorry mate, just sent it in.

Ta.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 30 May 2013, 10:11 am

Wow I have got some Points Smile

Not sure about my next pick tbh! It’s an amazing song but maybe a bit obscure for some of the young uns!

We shall see

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 30 May 2013, 10:14 am

Union Cane wrote:Just to be clear, am I supposed to pick a song that I like or a song that I think will get the most votes (ie probably a song that I don't like) ?

I really like the songs I've picked so far but they were by no means my absolute favourites in those genres. Sort of a halfway house really.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 10:31 am

Out of interest, here is the leaderboard at the conclusion of round 2.

Hero 18
Kenny 16
Il Gialloblu 11
Nando 10
TSJ 9
Stella 9
Adam D 7
Chequered 7
Chris W 6
Mysti 6
Sodhat 5
Tino 4
Azzy 3
The Boss 3
Gregers 3
Cherriesfna 1
Enforcer 1
crazygangwomble 1
Julius 0
Galted 0
VDT 0
Union Cane 0

Just waiting on two more nominations and I'll get the round up. If they don't get to me by lunchtime (roughly 1:30pm for me) then I'll stick it up without them.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 10:46 am

Which killjoy's voted for their own songs then......

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 30 May 2013, 11:10 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Which killjoy's voted for their own songs then......

I stated earlier that I did but yes, I think I'll join the stand of not allowing myself to do it from now on. If my song is good enough to get points, it shouldn't need my help.

And if it is lagging behind, I can always post saying why it should get more votes. Whistle
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 11:11 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:

And if it is lagging behind, I can always post saying why it should get more votes. Whistle

Laugh

What sort of loser would resort to that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 30 May 2013, 11:23 am

I'm voting for other people's. Not taking this that seriously. It might be cooler to finish last? Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 11:47 am

Still in the game Smile
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 30 May 2013, 12:14 pm

Stella wrote:I picked Ms Bush because it's a great song and it's done well. Not sure my next choice will do so good.

I picked the same song in the first round & got sod-all. 0 points after 2 rounds but at least my 3rd round pick is almost guaranteed to yield another 0 points.

Philistines!

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 30 May 2013, 12:15 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Which killjoy's voted for their own songs then......

Me, I've had a total of 3 votes so far & 2 were my own. This is starting to remind me quite a bit of the movie cup.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 12:25 pm

Galted wrote:

Me, I've had a total of 3 votes so far & 2 were my own. This is starting to remind me quite a bit of the movie cup.

You've already stated that the movie cup has turned you into an insecure, neurotic wreck, so you're excused.

No-one wants to see a man broken down by these things.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 30 May 2013, 12:28 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:

You've already stated that the movie cup has turned you into an insecure, neurotic wreck, so you're excused.

No-one wants to see a man broken down by these things.

Thanks for the support Tino. I rarely go out any more, the neighbours spit at me, even cats & squirrels cross the road when they see me coming. I used to love bullying the homeless but now they won't even accept money from me.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next