The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Broadcast Rights

+5
Poorfour
jeffwinger
HammerofThunor
broadlandboy
Cryptoyourisan
9 posters

Go down

Aviva Premiership Broadcast Rights Empty Aviva Premiership Broadcast Rights

Post by Cryptoyourisan Thu 23 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Hey guys,

Just a quick query - is the new BT Sports channel to gain exclusive rights to all Aviva Premiership games or will they now be split between ESPN, Sky and BT?

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Broadcast Rights Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Broadcast Rights

Post by broadlandboy Thu 23 May 2013, 2:29 pm

Just BT. 69 games next season I believe

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 23 May 2013, 2:30 pm

Yeah, they've basically taken on the games ESPN and SKy were showing. It seems the ESPN are largely moving across as well.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Thu 23 May 2013, 2:39 pm

ESPN are no longer running their channels in the UK, however as part of their rights purchases, BT Sport will be taking over and running one of the ESPN channels next year under the current name and branding. It will look like the same channel but it will be owned by BT rather than by Disney.

In terms of coverage, we will get up to 3 games per weekend on BT (whether this is on the dedicated BT Sport channel(s) or the newly owned ESPN channel we do not yet know). Sky will retain the European competitions next year. Then the following season (2014/15) the premiership will continue to be broadcast by BT Sport (again under what guise we do not know) and euro comps are still up in the air until its decided what these comps might actually be.

Think this is all roughly accurate, pieced together as best I can from the snippets we've so far been given by those companies involved.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 23 May 2013, 4:59 pm

The Grauniad has set it out pretty clearly:

Grauniad
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Thu 23 May 2013, 5:30 pm

Kind of a pain in the arse financially if you regularly watch a few different sports, then?

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 23 May 2013, 5:55 pm

Kind of a pain in the arse financially if you only watch rugby, actually. I will probably ditch Sky Sports once the HEC is gone, but until then I am paying for football that I don't actually watch and would rather not subsidise.

But broadband + rugby will probably work out cheaper even after the free channels period runs out.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 25 May 2013, 1:54 pm

Interesting rumours: Tighter links being forged between Disney/ABC (who own ESPN) and BT. Closer links for media sharing and resource utilisation.
Read the report in a Spanish language paper in Colombia last week, but was taken from an American network source. If I can find it, I will post. Was a few days ago. Apparently closer links between Disney/ABC and News Corp. was a bridge too far for Disney (good thing that).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 May 2013, 6:07 pm

I'm not sure if it's correct but I was told if you have sky tv and then get BT broadband you can add the BT sports channels for free. Seeing as BT broadband is currently cheaper than the robbing sods at Virgin could mean I save a tenner on broadband and a tenner on tv per month. Result.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 25 May 2013, 6:30 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'm not sure if it's correct but I was told if you have sky tv and then get BT broadband you can add the BT sports channels for free. Seeing as BT broadband is currently cheaper than the robbing sods at Virgin could mean I save a tenner on broadband and a tenner on tv per month. Result.

I'm pretty sure that's on BT website so worth a crack. Apparently they "don't have plans" to charge BT Internet users for the sports but I suppose they could always start.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 May 2013, 6:34 pm

Sky have already stated it'll cost £12.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 25 May 2013, 6:45 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'm not sure if it's correct but I was told if you have sky tv and then get BT broadband you can add the BT sports channels for free. Seeing as BT broadband is currently cheaper than the robbing sods at Virgin could mean I save a tenner on broadband and a tenner on tv per month. Result.
Well at least it's better than the deal that the robbing sods at BBC Wales, Scotland and Ulster give to us licence fee payers for the Rabo product.

For us the Virgin product was cheaper with the free espn bundle in the feeble Sky package.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 May 2013, 6:53 pm

I went with Virgin because the phone line into the house was Virgin already and have seen them raise the price to double what it was when I started the contract. Sky on the other hand installed the new dish I required for free and in a very timely fashion. Virgin took a fortnight to rock up and then attempted to charge me £80 despite the free installation offer. The customer support is also terrible.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 25 May 2013, 6:58 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Sky have already stated it'll cost £12.

Yeah, that's what I'll be paying (not having access to BT). But if you have BT Internet you can get it free through your sky box (I think)

edit: just checked and you do get it free with BT Internet. You have to get direct from BT apparently.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Sat 25 May 2013, 7:13 pm

Ive just signed up to bt sports. I already have to pay for the landline and thats £15. So I just needed the internet & got a deal for £8. I will get the bt sports channels for free through the sky platform. When you sign up, bt ask for your sky card number. I only watch the rugby so Im very happy.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Sun 26 May 2013, 11:59 pm

MotelMoneyMurderMadness wrote:Ive just signed up to bt sports. I already have to pay for the landline and thats £15. So I just needed the internet & got a deal for £8. I will get the bt sports channels for free through the sky platform. When you sign up, bt ask for your sky card number. I only watch the rugby so Im very happy.

Interesting. I've signed up with BT for landline and broadband but have Sky TV, so it sounds like I will be able to get BT Sports free for a year too?

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Mon 27 May 2013, 6:35 pm

Crypto thats right and if you sign up before August you get HD free too. As a sky customer you give BT your viewing card number and they do the rest. As I understand the Top 14 games are included too.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:19 pm

Signed up for it today - free inc. HD for a year. Cheers for the heads-up!

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down