The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions DVD's

+5
kingjohn7
The Saint
funnyExiledScot
RubyGuby
Coleman
9 posters

Go down

Lions DVD's Empty Lions DVD's

Post by Coleman Tue 21 May - 15:54

Hate to be that guy and make another pointless Lions thread, but I am really curious for some opinions. I have Living with the Pride, the 2009 tour documentary, I think there will be good consensus on this DVD, it is fantastic (at least I think so). After watching it recently I was unsure if any other tour docs had been made other than Living with the Lions (1997) . After a little search on Amazon (No tax arguments please) I decided to buy Living with the Lions (1997) and also The Lions – Up close and personal (2001). But when it came to the DVD for the 2005 Inside the Lion’s Den, I was unsure if I should buy it as it has really poor reviews. I have picked it up anyway but I’d be really interested to know why it is considered to be so bad? Some of the reviews are really damning. Also, feel free to pop down any other rugby DVD’s that are worth picking up as I only have the 2009 tour DVD.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Lions DVD's Empty Re: Lions DVD's

Post by RubyGuby Tue 21 May - 15:58

I think I need to lend you my spare copy of Twin Town after reading that thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 21 May - 16:01

I personally rate all the Lions DVDs. They are what they are. The reason people probably like the 2005 DVD less is that you have to put up with so much of Sir Clive's smug face - and the fact that the Lions get utterly crucified (sorry to spoil the ending.....). It's still a really interesting DVD though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May - 21:06

There's good bits on all of them, but the two best by far are the SA ones. The last one was good, with Powell's message to the troops (Stephen Jones' look is priceless), them dancing with the fan on the coach to Sunchyme and Phil Vickery shouting beeeeast amongst my favourite moments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May - 21:11

Hi, I have them all (1997 one on tape though unfortunately!). Love them all, but like others (and the amazon reviewers) the 2005 one was not as good as the rest. I think this may be the Allister Campbell factor - he was employed as the PR guru for the tour and I think may have had an influence over what was shown, especially in the wake of the 2001 player dissent issues. Maybe he curtailed any negative behind the scenes stuff or anything that would make the tour look like the failure that it was. Whatever it was, it just wasn't as 'raw' as the rest. Shame, as the unseen, behind the scenes stuff is the best bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 22 May - 1:29

Surprisingly I found the 2009 film boring. Plus I always feel uncomfortable if I see grown men cry. 2005 was a bit better. I also bought the match highlights from 2005 which covered the whole tour. I think I still have that DVD, I bought it because it was a chance to see Carter's masterpiece over and over again.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed 22 May - 2:26

97 & 2001 were were excellent IMO. I dont think ive seen 05, but I was really disappointed with the 09 one. I think because I enjoyed the games so much- when I got the dvd I was hoping to rewatch alot of the action and there is basically F all rugby shown.To be fair that may have been the same in the old ones but havnt seen them for 10+ years so not sure, but there seemed to be more characters in those days, not just pro sportsman from age 14. Although I did love it when Edwards called Smit a 'big fat fk' when berating the defence.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 22 May - 6:47

I agree that the 09 DVD was short on game footage, but i never thought i'd hear someone say they found it boring. I agree with the Edwards stuff, the guy is unreal. Can't imagen playing for someone like that, intense.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 22 May - 9:32

I'll often dust off my 2001 DVD, The Lions Who Roared Too Late.
My favourite bit was George Gregan smoking cigars with John Howard in the hot tub.

The 1989 one - Look, But Please Don't Feed the Lions in the In-Goal Area was slightly more disappointing I felt - but still good viewing for an indifferent Lions fan nonetheless.

Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 22 May - 10:36

Used to have the 97 & 01. Not sure where they are now.

Have the 09 one, may watch it again before this tour.

Liked the part when Bowe & Kearny were interviewing the Sharks cheerleaders.

Think Tommy boy was in heaven there.

The part on Rala was very funny.

I'm down to one cigarette a day, then view him lying on his bed, with this massive cigarette.

Powell was great on that tour, DOC to.

97, though was quality.
Wood licking the shot off the waitress, them all singing wonderwall.

01 was good to. Gibbs bricking it , cos he had to have stitches and had never had them before.

Not seen 05.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 22 May - 10:44

Which one could you hear Neil Jenkins puking before the match ?

Lions DVD's 1890400415
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 22 May - 10:49

97 Munkian, That guy really needed to see a Doc. vomit
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 22 May - 12:23

He did it before every game apparently, certainly sorted out the nerves as his kicking was spot on
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed 22 May - 14:19

Coleman wrote:I agree that the 09 DVD was short on game footage, but i never thought i'd hear someone say they found it boring. I agree with the Edwards stuff, the guy is unreal. Can't imagen playing for someone like that, intense.

Yeah im probably being a bit harsh, its just I was so disappointed not to be able to watch the great games.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down