The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which foreigner has had the biggest impact on your club

+39
pioden gorllewin
tigerleghorn
doctor_grey
LeinsterFan4life
ScarletSpiderman
debaters1
munkian
Cardiff Dave
XR
Bathman_in_London
Hound of Harrow
welshboii15
Portnoy's Complaint
Notch
ChequeredJersey
mckay1402
SecretFly
Jhamer25
yappysnap
Jenifer McLadyboy
profitius
thebluesmancometh
formerly known as Sam
killer938
LondonTiger
Kingshu
red_stag
GunsGerms
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Frankston
SirBurger
funnyExiledScot
HongKongCherry
rodders
Bathite
Artful_Dodger
sirtidychris
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Geordie
43 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which foreigner has had the biggest impact on your club Empty Which foreigner has had the biggest impact on your club

Post by Geordie Thu 16 May 2013, 4:25 pm

A curent thread is talking about who has the most foreigners etc...

What i was wondering is which foreign imports do you think have had the biggest impact at your club?
It might not just be on the pitch...but off it...inspiring and helping the youth in training, community projects etc...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Which foreigner has had the biggest impact on your club Empty Re: Which foreigner has had the biggest impact on your club

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 16 May 2013, 4:38 pm

Wow, that's a very tough question - I doubt we'd have made it out of the Championship without the likes of Tommy Hayes, Gareth Steenson, Hoani Tui et al; and our progress in the prem is partly down to characters like Jason Shoemark, Sireli Naqelevuki, Nacho Mieres, Gonzo Camacho (in his first season), Dean Mumm, Craig Mitchell - don't honestly think I can point to a single individual

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Which foreigner has had the biggest impact on your club Empty Re: Which foreigner has had the biggest impact on your club

Post by sirtidychris Thu 16 May 2013, 4:41 pm

For the good
Luke Watson in recent years for bath. He was immense, played at 110% in every game and captained the team well, showing none of the previous baggage his reputation said he had. A close second are Mr Louw, Claaseens and Butch james have all been very good and transformed the side.

for the bad
Justin harrison, the plank played a central part in one of the clubs worst episodes in recent history, on the field he was a bench warmer who still liked the fights but didnt have the talent anymore, off the field he dabbled in extra curricular actvities and jumped ship before taking the rap.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Pienaar, Afoa and Muller for Ulster.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 16 May 2013, 4:51 pm

Harrison was a great signing, he added plenty of grunt to the pack, when we needed it. Yeah he was a twerp at the end, but on the pitch, he was great.

I'd have to say Butch has had the greatest influence though, with him and Meehan at the helm we played our best, most expansive rugby, beating the Tigers and nearly beating Toulouse away (still haven't forgiven Jonny F for his last minute penalty concede!)

Going a bit further back, Zak Feau'nati and Dan Lyle both had huge impacts on the pack

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 16 May 2013, 4:52 pm

For Ulster its a tight one with Pienaar and Afoa having such huge impacts, amongst others but I'd have to go with Johan Muller. He's been an absolute colossus for us over the last few years and is probably the best Ulster captain I've ever seen, on and off the pitch.

Funnily enough Justin Harrison was a cracking player for us....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 16 May 2013, 4:54 pm

In the current squad without doubt it is Sione Kalamafoni - he has justly been awarded every award going by supporters and players. The guy is just immense and has added something Glaws haven't had since swe last had a South Sea Islander at 8, Junior Paramore.

However, the greatest ever impact has to be without doubt Terry Fanolua. He was one of the first imports to play for the club. The level of commitment he gave was unquestionable and the fact he is regarded as a true Gloucesterman is testament to his attitude, as is the fact that Nigel Davies has brought him in on a number of occasions this season to tell the squad what it means to play for glaws.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 4:56 pm

For Edinburgh it probably has to be Todd Blackadder in terms of overall impact. His leadership, dedication and professionalism were said to have been a huge bonus to the squad, albeit he was never really an outstanding player.

Tim Visser was "foreign" when signed, and has also made a big impact, and Talei was outstanding for us in our run to the HC semis last season.

In truth though, most of Edinburgh's key players have been Scottish.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 16 May 2013, 5:00 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:In the current squad without doubt it is Sione Kalamafoni - he has justly been awarded every award going by supporters and players. The guy is just immense and has added something Glaws haven't had since swe last had a South Sea Islander at 8, Junior Paramore.

However, the greatest ever impact has to be without doubt Terry Fanolua. He was one of the first imports to play for the club. The level of commitment he gave was unquestionable and the fact he is regarded as a true Gloucesterman is testament to his attitude, as is the fact that Nigel Davies has brought him in on a number of occasions this season to tell the squad what it means to play for glaws.

Terry Fanolua!! What a memory.

Just reminds me of my mates singing the brilliant chant of "Terrrrrrrrrry Fannnnnnolua, Terrrrrrrrrry Fannnnnnnnnnolua"

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 16 May 2013, 5:03 pm

For Irish I guess Bob Casey or Seilala Mapusua. Different players in different positions with completely different skill-sets. However, they were both real warriors and real leaders and gave the side a competitive and hard-nosed edge that was lacking before and is now lacking in their absence.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankston Thu 16 May 2013, 5:15 pm

For Saints from the current players I think Manoa has had the biggest individual impact. Tiny and Mujati have done very well but the change Manoa has made from being a construction worker two years ago laying concrete in California to where he is now is unbelievable. Jim Mallinder has also stated that he has been his best signing.

From previous players it has be Bruce Reihana. He contributed so much to the ethos and culture of the club for such a long time and gave everything in his 8 years. Fantastic player, fantastic bloke, ultimate Saintsman.

Last edited by Frankston on Thu 16 May 2013, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Frankston

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 16 May 2013, 5:16 pm

Hmmm, we haven''t had too many, so it's pretty much a toss-up between Kahn Fotuali'i and Afato So'oalo. I'll give it to "Fats" for the winning try in the '99 Super 12 final in Dunners (chipped over Jeff Wilson and out-sprinted him to score)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 16 May 2013, 5:20 pm

Leinster:

Isa Nacewa, Rocky Elsom, David Holwell, Stan Wright, Felipe Contepomi and Nathan Hines have been our best signings.

Lesser impact but still good:

Brad Thorne was good too but wasnt there long enough to have a massive impact.

Chris Wittaker

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 16 May 2013, 5:21 pm

At Munster I would say John Langford followed closely by Jim Williams.

Both of them were at the forefront of creating the Munster ethos over a decade ago.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 16 May 2013, 5:21 pm

Ulster

For good
Pienaar, really important in Ulsters play, have a cataylast in our improved play.
Muller, added inspired leadership, and a winning mentality to the team.
Timoci Nagusa, didn't have a big impact, but was a fan favourite.

Least Impressive
Tamaiti Horua, Don't think he was a bad player its just because he came with a good reputation, and played less than 100mins for Ulster, was injuried a lot.
At a time our NIQ's weren't top draw he seamed to be a step up for the team, and there was a lot of hope he'd help take us up a level again, so maybe its just dissapointed that we never really got seeing him, when we had hopes pinned on him.

Just looking at a few of our NIQ's does anyone remember Joeli Veitayaki?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 16 May 2013, 5:22 pm

Freddie Tuilagi & Geordie

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 May 2013, 5:23 pm

Kingshu wrote:Ulster

For good
Pienaar, really important in Ulsters play, have a cataylast in our improved play.

Least Impressive
Tamaiti Horua, Don't think he was a bad player its just because he came with a good reputation, and played less than 100mins for Ulster, was injuried a lot.
At a time our NIQ's weren't top draw he seamed to be a step up for the team, and there was a lot of hope he'd help take us up a level again, so maybe its just dissapointed that we never really got seeing him, when we had hopes pinned on him.

You could also add Paul Emerick along with Horua as the least impressive.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 16 May 2013, 5:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Leinster:

Isa Nacewa, Rocky Elsom, David Holwell, Stan Wright, Felipe Contepomi and Nathan Hines have been our best signings.

Lesser impact but still good:

Brad Thorne was good too but wasnt there long enough to have a massive impact.

Chris Wittaker

Contepomi and Elsom are the two most influencial signings you lot have made I reckon. Nacewa is a top player. But he didnt seem to have same impact on the team as a whole. Nacewa is one of your best signings but is that the same as leaving an impact on the team.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Thu 16 May 2013, 5:28 pm

For Tigers

I would say Murphy or Howard + Mrs. Tuilagi

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 16 May 2013, 5:29 pm

Bathite wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:In the current squad without doubt it is Sione Kalamafoni - he has justly been awarded every award going by supporters and players. The guy is just immense and has added something Glaws haven't had since swe last had a South Sea Islander at 8, Junior Paramore.

Terry Fanolua!! What a memory.

Just reminds me of my mates singing the brilliant chant of "Terrrrrrrrrry Fannnnnnolua, Terrrrrrrrrry Fannnnnnnnnnolua"

We do have a knack of putting a good song together. The same tune could be applied to Marco Bortolami & Lesley Vainokolo Whistle
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 16 May 2013, 6:16 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Kingshu wrote:Ulster

For good

Least Impressive

You could also add Paul Emerick along with Horua as the least impressive.

Rob Dewey would beg to differ ..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 May 2013, 6:21 pm

Oh god, forgot about Dewey.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 16 May 2013, 6:29 pm

Geordan Murphy, backline creative brilliance for a decade and a half and is now training up players to replace him. I doubt we'll see another 15 that awesome.

Special mention for Freddie Tuilagi who brought his family with him and acts as agent from them all now (making sure they all have a go at Tigers). He also suggested Tigers give Mulipola a trial. Good player, great scout.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 16 May 2013, 6:36 pm

What a shock, no Welsh posters!!!

I don't want to derail the thread, and by all means ignore me if you like but does the fact the Welsh post here in number but avoid numerous positive threads say something about what we all think of regional rugby??

For example I'd say the Blues best foreign signing (since inception) was probably Tito, or Fillise. Tito came in and gave the Blues a lineout, I mean literally gave them some shred of lineout dignity, not to mention he led from the front, and never left a drop on the pitch.
Fillisse made Cardiff his home immediately, contributed on and off the pitch (off the pitch much more) and his attitude can't be faulted!!

It's rather sad that those 2 pretty limited players are the best we've seen in a Blues shirt, and for every Tito and Fillise there has been 2 Pattersons and Laulala (signings who have come in, done well for a little while then moved to bigger and better) and even worse for every Tito therw has been 3 Sam norton knights, who was single handedly the most pathetic excuse for a pro rugby player I have ever seen, he even made Dan 'I don't want to try mummy' Parks look good!!!

The motto for the Blues is that replacing homegrown boys in the Robinsons, Delve, Gill, and Jenkins has proved far harder tpo replace than first thought, those who have come in have been inferior cost effective versions.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 16 May 2013, 6:36 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Geordan Murphy, backline creative brilliance for a decade and a half and is now training up players to replace him. I doubt we'll see another 15 that awesome.

Special mention for Freddie Tuilagi who brought his family with him and acts as agent from them all now (making sure they all have a go at Tigers). He also suggested Tigers give Mulipola a trial. Good player, great scout.

Theres one at Newport who hasn't had a go at Leicester yet Whistle

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 16 May 2013, 6:43 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:What a shock, no Welsh posters!!!

I don't want to derail the thread, and by all means ignore me if you like but does the fact the Welsh post here in number but avoid numerous positive threads say something about what we all think of regional rugby??

For example I'd say the Blues best foreign signing (since inception) was probably Tito, or Fillise. Tito came in and gave the Blues a lineout, I mean literally gave them some shred of lineout dignity, not to mention he led from the front, and never left a drop on the pitch.
Fillisse made Cardiff his home immediately, contributed on and off the pitch (off the pitch much more) and his attitude can't be faulted!!

It's rather sad that those 2 pretty limited players are the best we've seen in a Blues shirt, and for every Tito and Fillise there has been 2 Pattersons and Laulala (signings who have come in, done well for a little while then moved to bigger and better) and even worse for every Tito therw has been 3 Sam norton knights, who was single handedly the most pathetic excuse for a pro rugby player I have ever seen, he even made Dan 'I don't want to try mummy' Parks look good!!!

The motto for the Blues is that replacing homegrown boys in the Robinsons, Delve, Gill, and Jenkins has proved far harder tpo replace than first thought, those who have come in have been inferior cost effective versions.

Ben Blair was always a great player for the Blues, he would be my choice. Xavier Rush was good as well.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 16 May 2013, 6:50 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Ben Blair was always a great player for the Blues, he would be my choice. Xavier Rush was good as well.

Aye Ben Blair and Rush were excellent, but in reality Rush was great for a season and a half, before struggling for a season, and then retiring, but he is certainly up there with Tito, and Blair was long term injured for over 2 seasons, he really made an impact on 1/2p though apparently.

I named Tito for real impact on the performance of the team, and Fillisse for his longgevity and off field work, but Rush and Blair were up there too. Can't really say Rush and Blair weren't limited though, Rush was defencively loose and Blair was so small. All 4 players had big weaknesses that determined why they were affordable to the Blues.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 16 May 2013, 7:13 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Geordan Murphy, backline creative brilliance for a decade and a half and is now training up players to replace him. I doubt we'll see another 15 that awesome.

Andy was in our academy but released.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 16 May 2013, 7:17 pm

For Munster its said to be John Langford. In the early days of professionalism Munsters players were yet to fully embrace it. In comes John Langford from Australia and his professionalism was an eye opener for everyone in the squad. Langford was much fitter and conditioned than the Munster players at the time.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 16 May 2013, 7:25 pm

What? No Ollie Le Roux? Shocked

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 16 May 2013, 7:45 pm

For Harlequins it has to be Nick Evans- One of the main reasons that we can now mix with the big boys every week rather then once a year. He's also a top bloke off the field and a fan favourite.

Going back a bit further Tani Fuga was a quality hooker for us and another supporters fav.

Lastly although he has now become Judas, James Johnston gave us the best scrum in the league at a key time during the run in last lesson. He'll be sorely missed.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 16 May 2013, 8:01 pm

I bet not many people have heared of him or seen him much for that matter. However Johan Snyman at the scarlets is the best foreigner we have had since David lyons.
A class second row who does all the basics brillianlty, leads from the front and gives us a bit of grunt. Probably along with Alaistair Kellock has been the best lock this season in the Rabo. A main reason why the Scartet pack has improves so much since last season.
He is a favourite down scalret already after one season and has been tipped for captaincy next season. And I really hope he des get it. Great player

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 16 May 2013, 8:04 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Andy was in our academy but released.

I couldn't imagine why Erm What a mistake that was, surely if he's given a decent crack at pertnering his brother...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 16 May 2013, 8:19 pm

Yes, Nacewa had more impact than Elsom. He'll be remembered at Leinster much longer than Elsom's great single season.

The thing about Nacewa is not the importance of his HEC contribution but moreso his dedication to keeping the ship stable when the big boys were either resting or away on International duty. He did a lot of the lesser Pro12 house-keeping which didn't get so many plaudits.

Also Mike Ross..................... Wink

Last edited by SecretFly on Thu 16 May 2013, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 16 May 2013, 8:19 pm

I think you're forgetting Jonah lomu... No but seriously what about Ben Blair. He was quality for the Blues.

For scarlets I'd say that none of the foreigners have been that influential. Yes the are some who've been there along time but I can't remember any stand outs like some of the above mentioned names.

For Glasgow probably dth. He's just a machine. maitland is getting on that was as well.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 16 May 2013, 8:22 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:I bet not many people have heared of him or seen him much for that matter. However Johan Snyman at the scarlets is the best foreigner we have had since David lyons.
A class second row who does all the basics brillianlty, leads from the front and gives us a bit of grunt. Probably along with Alaistair Kellock has been the best lock this season in the Rabo. A main reason why the Scartet pack has improves so much since last season.
He is a favourite down scalret already after one season and has been tipped for captaincy next season. And I really hope he des get it. Great player

totally forgot about lyons. awesome
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 16 May 2013, 8:23 pm

We don't have many but love them all:

(Quins)

Probably JJ, because he made our scrum into a force last season and to a lesser extent this season though we have been weaker (still 3rd, which 3 years ago I'd have taken with no questions asked)

But then the others are Nev (form isn't great the latter half of this season but still class and can be the best 10 in the world), Botica (surprisingly awesome cover for Nev and 12, nerves of steel and frankly been at least as good as him this year. Good runner too), technically Ollie Kohn who is the lynchpin of our pack, and Big Mo who had a poor season until a few weeks ago but is an unstoppable force when fired up. Literally broke 3 Worcester players in one drive the other week
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 16 May 2013, 8:24 pm

yappysnap wrote:For Harlequins it has to be Nick Evans- One of the main reasons that we can now mix with the big boys every week rather then once a year. He's also a top bloke off the field and a fan favourite.

Going back a bit further Tani Fuga was a quality hooker for us and another supporters fav.

Lastly although he has now become Judas, James Johnston gave us the best scrum in the league at a key time during the run in last lesson. He'll be sorely missed.

Harsh to call him Judas, think I can understand his reasons (they are a good club, even if tehy won no silverware yet again this year, they have "perks", apparently there may have been domestic issues at the club and his brother played for Sarries). Just don't understand how Sarries can afford him
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 16 May 2013, 8:24 pm

mckay1402 wrote:

I think you're forgetting Jonah lomu... No but seriously what about Ben Blair. He was quality for the Blues.

For scarlets I'd say that none of the foreigners have been that influential. Yes the are some who've been there along time but I can't remember any stand outs like some of the above mentioned names.

For Glasgow probably dth. He's just a machine. maitland is getting on that was as well.

Surely Simon Easterby?

- Over 200 Scarlets appearances
- Over 50 European games for Scarlets
- Scarlets captain for 5 years
- Scarlets Head Coach

For a guy who was born in Yorkshire and only moved to Llanelli at the age of 24, the impact he had at Scarlets was impressive.

It speaks volumes many forget he is foreign (65 caps for Ireland); for example he speaks fluent Welsh!!

Without a shadow of a doubt a man who made enormous impact.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 16 May 2013, 8:30 pm

...Easterby was some player for Ireland too. He would walk into the current Ireland team I reckon.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 16 May 2013, 8:40 pm

GunsGerms wrote:...Easterby was some player for Ireland too. He would walk into the current Ireland team I reckon.

The definition of a man not appreciated in his own time.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 May 2013, 8:54 pm

mckay1402 wrote:

Regan King for Scarlets? Haven't been the same since he left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 May 2013, 9:02 pm

Johann Muller at Ulster- for the leadership as well as the quality. Obviously we are lucky to have Pienaar and Afoa who are top quality signings, but it's not just what Muller brings on the pitch.

He's our Captain, an inspiring prescence in the dressing room, he was pretty much coaching the pack until Anscombe came in and he's generally the kind of guy you'd go to war for. He is to Ulster what O'Connell is to Munster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 16 May 2013, 9:08 pm

For good - Pat Howard
For ill - Heyneke Meyer

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Thu 16 May 2013, 9:44 pm

Simon easterby and regan king but for me king had the most impact on because he did stuff others wouldn't think of but also out current centres jon davies and willians should have learnt off him.
But some one who won't get credit is decon manu guy has been around years not brilliant but solid

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu 16 May 2013, 11:32 pm

Wasps - no one individual really. They all bought into the club ethos.

If I was to pick one it would probably be Craig Dowd. Big Trev was a fan favourite for his commitment, but a useless thrower at the line out.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 17 May 2013, 9:34 am

Recently for Bath- Butch James, impact in terms of sparking some brilliant running rugby, but then unable to kick at all and spending 50% of his time injured.

Of all time, probably Dan Lyle? Played for us for years and was a real fan favourite.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 17 May 2013, 9:43 am

Give us a chance.
I would add Dan Baugh to the names already mentioned and before my time (almost), maybe John Scott - England no.8 and captain. 10 years a Cardiff player surprisingly.
Oh and Liam Botham, Beefy's son.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 17 May 2013, 10:02 am

haha liam botham, i remember him - didn't he go off to play rugby league for a season or two?

I think you're (bluesman) being a bit harsh on rushy when you say "in reality Rush was great for a season and a half, before struggling for a season, and then retiring". He was a big impact when he joined in 05, it was the moment we finally had someone in the pack that just would not go backwards, he was our talisman. I think he, tito and Blair are side by side in terms of impact on the blues, they all contributed immensely but in different ways.

As said, Rushy was our main ball carrier. if we had slow ball, he'd be the man to sort it out with a monster carry.
Tito fixed the line out (which has gone backwards since he retired) and gave the pack a bit of bite.
Blair was a great full back, maybe a bit flakey in defense but a phenomenal kicker and when he hit the line...the pace he had and that side step,, for a great example of that you just need to see Gareth Thomas' try against Gloucester in the HEC @ the MillStad.

Like Dave said, Dan Baugh is probably another one who made an impact prior to the blues being set up.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 17 May 2013, 10:40 am

gcBlues wrote:haha liam botham, i remember him - didn't he go off to play rugby league for a season or two?

I think you're (bluesman) being a bit harsh on rushy when you say "in reality Rush was great for a season and a half, before struggling for a season, and then retiring". He was a big impact when he joined in 05, it was the moment we finally had someone in the pack that just would not go backwards, he was our talisman. I think he, tito and Blair are side by side in terms of impact on the blues, they all contributed immensely but in different ways.

As said, Rushy was our main ball carrier. if we had slow ball, he'd be the man to sort it out with a monster carry.
Tito fixed the line out (which has gone backwards since he retired) and gave the pack a bit of bite.
Blair was a great full back, maybe a bit flakey in defense but a phenomenal kicker and when he hit the line...the pace he had and that side step,, for a great example of that you just need to see Gareth Thomas' try against Gloucester in the HEC @ the MillStad.

Like Dave said, Dan Baugh is probably another one who made an impact prior to the blues being set up.

Beefy minor did try league for a while.

Agreed; Xav gave us leadership and go forward (and belief), Tito worked wonders for the lineout and Blair was magnificent in counter attack mode (better than Halfpenny imho).

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next