The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors' Player of the Year

+8
jimbopip
Majestic83
IanBru
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Manky-Flanker
bsando
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
12 posters

Go down

Glasgow Warriors' Player of the Year Empty Glasgow Warriors' Player of the Year

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 am

From the Evening Times :-

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rugby/night-to-remember-as-top-warrior-will-be-honoured-in-style-122276n.20895407

5 in the running - Ryan Grant, Josh Strauss, Ryan Wilson, Niko Matawalu and DTH van der Merwe

My vote is for Josh Strauss - immense in every game he has played.

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors' Player of the Year Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors' Player of the Year

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:42 am

It's tricky, but probably Niko for me. He's just a magic player, and when he's on his game, quite simply Glasgow win, and in some style.

Strauss and Grant 2nd and 3rd respectively.

I'm surprised Wilson and DTH came above Swinson.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors' Player of the Year Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors' Player of the Year

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 am

Wilson excellent at the start and mid season. Now just good. DTH did get an injury but made a quick recovery and is back to his best - equalled Thom Evans' scoring record on Friday too . But yes Tim Swinson very unlucky to be omitted from the 5.

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:49 am

Strauss or Matawalu for me.

Strausses technique when going Into contact is immense, always seems to gain territory or break the tackle.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:49 am

Has to be Niko, he has been a sensation since arriving at Glasgow.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:53 am

Tricky one - Strauss took a wee while to get going and Niko's passing is 'interesting'. Grant was away too much with Scotland, so I'm going for Wilson, mainly for his leadership when times was tough

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Ah yes ASBO my friend - you old No 8s stick together eh ? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Grant - 'Old Ironsides'
Strauss - Battering Bluto
Wilson - The Dear Leader
Niko - The Tortured Genius
DTH - The Alphabet Man

Yup, it's the 'Aye Team'
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm

All have had great seasons but for me Niko tops it, been in amazing form and is developing into one of the best 9s in Europe.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Ciao Juve, Schiz and I had this debate at Scotstoun, or Scot's Toon as the Welsh commentators have it, recently. He explained at length why it had to be Bluto and when I opened my eyes he was still explaining. On that occasion I was steadfastly championing Sean Maitland as he has galvanised the backs and brought a no nonsense hardness to their play as well as his more obvious talents. HOWEVER, Niko is another Campese in the sense that he may share a pitch with other, lesser, mortals but he seldom plays the same game. So either disqualify him and give the others a fair contest or declare a no contest and post the award to him.
IanBru, you are mistaken Niko is no tortured genius he is far too unselfconscious to be in any way tortured.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 am

I love watching Matawalo play. 3 bits of genius, one bit of idiocy every 5 mins. Who was responsible for his recruitment? a bit of mad genius in itself

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 am

Nicooooooh took it so no real surprise - very well done Wee Man and a rousing clap to all the others

From The Evening Times and Warriors site :-

The Fijian scrum-half has made a massive impact in his first season with Glasgow and was honoured by the club at tonight's awards dinner at the Hilton.

Nico told the Evening Times: "Its a great honour for me to receive this award in my first season in Glasgow and I'd like to thank all the supporters who voted for me.

"I'm really enjoying my rugby just now and I feel that I've improved a lot since I came here.

"Everything at Glasgow is very professional and that has helped me develop my game over the last few months. We're a very close squad, just like a big family!

"Already I have had some unbelievable moments in a Glasgow shirt and shared moments with the fans I will never forget. I hope to enjoy many more special times with them."

Peter Murchie took the award for most improved player while Mark Bennett is Glasgow's young player of the year.

Stuart Hogg took the test player of the year prize and DTH van der Merwe received a special award for becoming Glasgow's joint top try scorer.

Peter Horne's fantastic solo effort against Northampton is Glasgow try of the season and James Eddie took the coaches award for his big contribution to the club on and off the pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:42 am

Whilst I'm a big fan of Mark Bennett, there is no way he should be young player of the Season, Rob Harley, Ryan Wilson, Weir, Dunbar and Horne would all be more deserving

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Matalawooooooooooooo furra lineeeeeeeeeeeeeee
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Bennett won an award?!?

I can only presume that wilson is no longer considered young.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Numbuhs, it pains me to say it, but none of Weir , Wilson, Harley, etc. are in their first season, and they're all in their twenties.

Of the nominated players (Adam Ashe and Big Jonny being the others) the Messiah has had the biggest impact, if only for his performance against the Dragons.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Bennett won an award?!?

I can only presume that wilson is no longer considered young.

Or that ASBO found a way of rigging the ballot?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down