The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRB should induct Joost van der Westhuizen ASAP into the hall of fame.

+5
BristolDave
TJ1
kiakahaaotearoa
Biltong
fa0019
9 posters

Go down

IRB should induct Joost van der Westhuizen ASAP into the hall of fame. Empty IRB should induct Joost van der Westhuizen ASAP into the hall of fame.

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:33

It just makes me feel terrible everytime I see Joost in public as his disease is getting quite advanced now. I saw him speak the other day and he was barely intelligible, is starting to use a wheelchair and looks like he is quickly deteroirating.

On the weekend the Bulls had a very significant award ceremony to celebrate their 75th anniversary and all the greats were there bar Joost. He's one of the clubs legends and is loved by those in the Versfeld.

Its not about the public pushing him to the side as he gets more and more ill, my respect for him has risen so much from the party loving genius to a truly humble guy who regrets nothing and just tries to tell people to love their own lives and live it to the fullest... he's a real inspiration.

I just think the IRB need to appreciate the situation and bestow him this honour whilst he can still travel, whilst he can still express himself and accept this award himself. He would have got it some year... that is undeniable.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

IRB should induct Joost van der Westhuizen ASAP into the hall of fame. Empty Re: IRB should induct Joost van der Westhuizen ASAP into the hall of fame.

Post by Biltong Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:36

Yeah, it hurts me to see him like this.

although I respected him as a rugby player I was never impressed with his personality though.

Makes one learn how to change one's mind I suppose.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

IRB should induct Joost van der Westhuizen ASAP into the hall of fame. Empty Re: IRB should induct Joost van der Westhuizen ASAP into the hall of fame.

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:39

yeah he was just a kid from the wrong side of town... but when has that ever been an excuse. A party boy no doubt but rugby was always his first priority... not many party boys can say the same thing.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:45

He should be in the hall of fame despite his condition. Legend of the game. We already give IRB player of the year awards out of sympathy. McCaw and Carter are examples of that. No need to patronise Joost even further and do what they should have done earlier.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:50

I agree Kia

Its not about sympathy.

Obviously it may be put forward a few years but his impact to the world game is undisputed. Its about giving him the honour when he still has his dignity and can attend on his own terms rather than have someone accept it on his behalf.

He deserves that.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:59

I don't think it's keeping him up at night mate. You could say the same about many players who haven't been inducted yet, regardless of their physical condition.

What should happen is that it happens. If he's able to attend the ceremony or not is irrelevant. The key is that he deserves it and would be a fitting member but you give it to him now and people will say it's for sentimental reasons and a player like him doesn't deserve that.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 13:03

I think he's got bigger things on his mind I agree and doesn't seem to be worried about honours etc, I doubt anyone would think it as sympathy though but I can see why some would fear that and thus discourage it.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 13:37

He was a great player no doubt. What is the criteria for a place? If he meets the criteria he should be there

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 13:53

Saw interview with him on Rugby club few weeks back and was surprised how quickly he had gone down hill. Very sad

One of the great SH's that for sure.

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 14:02

Dont know anything about his personality but he is in my top two favorite players of all time. Has there ever been a more exciting player to watch? Maybe Drico.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 14:06

I think Lomu would qualify in that regard GG. That's for starters. But I agree he's one of my favourite players. As a person his eyes scared me and I'd have been scared to approach him!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 14:08

The best scrum half in my lifetime. Lethal when close to the line, and extremely physical, with an excellent pass. Run close by Gregan in his pomp, but I'd go for VDW every time.

In my view he should be in there on merit.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 14:08

What? Our brave New Spanander is afriad of the big bad eyes?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 14:16

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I think Lomu would qualify in that regard GG. That's for starters. But I agree he's one of my favourite players. As a person his eyes scared me and I'd have been scared to approach him!

Lomu is third on my list because his career didnt last very long.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 14:17

Biltong wrote:What? Our brave New Spanander is afriad of the big bad eyes?

I agree he did have crazy devil eyes. Must have got a lot of...

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 14:18

Favourite SH after Bachop

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 16:12

More afraid of what those scary eyes could get me to do. Whistle

Bachop is a great call!

I think you'd be surprised how many tests Lomu played. The same happened to me with Chabal whose career seemed short.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 16:18

I though Lomu had around 50. He had 63 which is still disapointing for a man of his talent.

Joost had 89 and Drico lots more so they are my 1 and 2 but yes Lomu was a revelation and a very exciting player.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 16:30

there are a lot of players who owe Lomu a huge debt of gratitude... he dragged the game into the professional era... without his 95 cameo I'm sure the demand would have been far less and the changeover less swift.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 16:40

Please excuse my ignorance here. But i thought he was all ready in the HALL OF FAME.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 16:47

Joost is not. I think he was nominated a few years ago but he didn't meet the required entry rules... whatever they are.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 16:47

majesticimperialman wrote:Please excuse my ignorance here. But i thought he was all ready in the HALL OF FAME.

Just checked and couldnt see his name there.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 12:37

Certainly one of the most lethal scrum halves that has ever played the game, arguably the best ever. An absolute assasin as a striking 9. A steely blue eye predator - What a class player thumbsup Springbok

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down