The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster

+32
gleesonisgod
BigTrevsbigmac
RDW
Ledge the ledgebag
theslosty
ME-109
Pot Hale
formerly known as Sam
Golden
Breadvan
bazalicous
Artful_Dodger
Taffineastbourne
wales606
SecretFly
IanBru
Thomond
mikey_philVIII
Cumbrian
overlordofthewest
Rory_Gallagher
EnglishReign
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
Jenifer McLadyboy
Mickado
HongKongCherry
Hound of Harrow
yappysnap
GoodinTightSpaces
pete (buachaill on eirne)
36 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Who will win this Amlin 1/4 final?

Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster Vote_lcap21%Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 5 ]
Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster Vote_lcap79%Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster Vote_rcap 79% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 24

Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster Empty Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:19 am

Morning all I thought I'd get the ball rolling on this one.

It's been a while since these two teams faced off, way back to 2009 where Wasps deservedly beat Leinster 19-12 on Leinster's road to their first ever HCup. This was in contrast to the 41-11 win Leinster achieved in October against the same opposition in Dublin.

Leinster were on a great run of form up until this Saturday when they were beaten by Ulster, they now lie in 3rd place in the Rabo league. They find themselves in an odd situation as they and their supporters would consider themselves Heineken Cup big timers and being in the lower tier of Europe I am sure ruffles a few feathers. They have some high profile absentees notably; O'Driscoll, Sexton and Reddan which constitutes a large amount of quality and experience that will not be present.

Wasps find themselves in 7th pace of the Aviva Premiership in the depths of a 4 game losing streak. Some close defeats to Northampton and Worcester compounded by a drubbing to London Irish and a first league home loss to Saracens. Not ideal. Some danger men have just returned from Six Nations duty names like Masi and Launchberry significantly strengthen the side.

So where will the game be decided?
Who will get ascendancy at the breakdown and set pieces?
Who are the danger men coming into this game?
What are the prospective teams?

Back to top Go down

Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster Empty Re: Amlin 1/4 Wasps vs Leinster

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:28 am

Possible Leinster team:

Healy-Strauss-Ross
Cullen-Toner
McL-Heaslip-SOB
Boss-Madigan
Darcy-O'Malley
Nacewa-Kearney-McFadden

Cronin-VDM-Bent-Roux-Jennings-Cooney-Conway-Kearney

Danger men would be O'Brien and Madigan based on form.
O'Brien for me was by far and away the best Irish player during the 6Nations. He is amazingly physical and his work rate is huge. He is very effective on the floor (see Irish tour to New Zealand) and carries well when he gets in to the wider channels.
Madigan could consider himself unlucky to not have got more gametime in the 6Nations but he has been guiding Leinster very well during their winning streak. His goal kicking has been deadly accurate over the last month and he has been bagging tries from everywhere, taking the ball to the line, asking questions of the defence and distributing the ball well.

I am worried about our midfield defence. We don't have a very set/experienced centre partnership at the moment. O'Malley is a good player but quite small, he makes his hits but not what you would call an offensive tackler. In contrast we could go for McFadden at 13 with Kearney Jr on the wing. McFadden does not lack physicality but he has been found out in the 13 channel on a number of occasions where he feels more comfortable in the 12 position.

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

Macken is definitely out and reports are that O'Malley is too. struggling to recover from the knee injury last year.

Isa to start 13 are the reports in the times today.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm

Wasps could be well up for this.

They showed when they beat Quins at the Stoop that they have the defence to challenge any one. It's just playing the full 80 and controlling the tempo of the game that's an issue for them.

If they come out fired up then their massive backrow and deadly wings could do for Leinster.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 02 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

Isa to 13 again I would have thought McFadden would be next in line?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 02 Apr 2013, 1:08 pm

Likely Wasps line up...

Taulafo Lindsay/TRT Swainston
Launchbury Wentzel
Haskell/Johnson Vunipola Sam Jones

Simpson
St. Jones
Wade
Masi
Daly
Varndell
Southwell

Not sure about the subs, but likely to be..

Lindsay/TRT
Payne
Taylor
Palmer
Haskell/Johnson
Davies
Robinson
Chris Bell

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 02 Apr 2013, 3:25 pm

I do hope Wasps can beat, as i don't want to have to go to Dublin twice in a month! Wink

As the final is in Dublin, you've got to feel that Leinster will be really up for this. Wasps are a vastly improved side this year, but I just can't see them winning this.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 02 Apr 2013, 3:44 pm

There’s a real carrot on a stick for Leinster in that if they win they’ve got the semi and the final in the RDS.

We can be beaten there, but it takes a very good performance (see Ulster at the weekend)!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:35 am

Mickado wrote:There’s a real carrot on a stick for Leinster in that if they win they’ve got the semi and the final in the RDS.

We can be beaten there, but it takes a very good performance (see Ulster at the weekend)!

Yeah man if we get through this game we could/should be installed as the favourites and get Connacht back in to the HCup.

Hypothetical situation: If Sexton was fit for this game would you start him?

I'd like to say I wouldn't. I think Madigan's form should keep Sexton out of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:57 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Mickado wrote:There’s a real carrot on a stick for Leinster in that if they win they’ve got the semi and the final in the RDS.

Yeah man if we get through this game we could/should be installed as the favourites and get Connacht back in to the HCup.

Hypothetical situation: If Sexton was fit for this game would you start him?

I'd like to say I wouldn't. I think Madigan's form should keep Sexton out of the team

If Sexton is fit, put him on the bench. If things aren't going well, bring him on. Perfect sub man to chase a game or steady a rocking ship. He's the ice to Madigans fire (C) Mickado 2013

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

I have only seen 1 or 2 wasps games this season. All the AP fans seem to think we will walk this. I can't see it meself.

I think we will struggle without Bod, Sexton, Luke, Reddan, Macken, Eom. Our backline is not firing at the moment. Isa looks off form. Darce has feck all Rugby. McFadden hasn't played. Rob K has looked fairly anonymous. Goodman is solid but unspectacular. Boss hasn't looked good.

Quality there but no form.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:21 pm

So where are we all drinking on Friday night? Yates bar on the high st. is what is recommended by the Leinster supporters club.

Hound of H, I think it was, on another thread recommended somewhere else.

All suggestions (Esp from Wasps fans) gratefully accepted.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:49 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I have only seen 1 or 2 wasps games this season. All the AP fans seem to think we will walk this. I can't see it meself.

I think we will struggle without Bod, Sexton, Luke, Reddan, Macken, Eom. Our backline is not firing at the moment. Isa looks off form. Darce has feck all Rugby. McFadden hasn't played. Rob K has looked fairly anonymous. Goodman is solid but unspectacular. Boss hasn't looked good.

Quality there but no form.

I agree Jen, Madigan and Conway are the only backs who have looked good in recent weeks. Furthermore our pack have not looked as dynamic or as skillful.

Haven't seen forwards providing dynamic runs or intelligent dummy runs in a good bit. Kev McLaughlin aside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:So where are we all drinking on Friday night? Yates bar on the high st. is what is recommended by the Leinster supporters club.

Hound of H, I think it was, on another thread recommended somewhere else.

All suggestions (Esp from Wasps fans) gratefully accepted.

Jen - O'Neills is not on the High St, but just off it. Find the Wetherspoon pub, The Falcon, and it is on the pedestrian walkway to the right side.

There is another Wetherspoon, The William Robert Loosley opposite the Eden shopping centre. There is also The Antelope (opp the front of The Falcon in a cul de sac), and a couple of pubs on Frogmoor.

Opposite the station access road is The Bootlegger, which is mainly a real ale/foreign bottled beer pub.

A word of advice - wrap up warm. Temperatures are forecast to be 0C at best during the game.

thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm

LONDON WASPS:
15: Elliot Daly
14: Christian Wade
13: Andrea Masi
12: Chris Bell
11: Tom Varndell
10: Nick Robinson
9: Joe Simpson
1: Zak Taulafo
2: T Rhys Thomas
3: Phil Swainston
4: Tom Palmer
5: Marco Wentzel CAPTAIN
6: Joe Launchbury
7: Sam Jones
8: Ashley Johnson
REPLACEMENTS:
16: Tom Lindsay
17: Tim Payne
18: Will Taylor
19: Jonathan Poff
20: Billy Vunipola
21: Charlie Davies
22: Stephen Jones
23: Hugo Southwell

LEINSTER:
15: Rob Kearney
14: Dave Kearney
13: Fergus McFadden
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Ian Madigan
9: Isaac Boss
1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip
REPLACEMENTS:
16: Sean Cronin
17: Jack McGrath
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Quinn Roux
20: Shane Jennings
21: John Cooney
22: Andrew Goodman
23: Andrew Conway

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

Midfield isn’t great for us, ideally McFadden would be at 12 or on the wing. But with Macken, O’Malley and BOD out injured or suspended, needs must.

It’s pretty much the strongest team available though. should be a good’n…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:30 pm

Yeah I agree Mick, not much else we can throw at them in terms of selection is there?

Agree on McFadden but hopefully he can put some of the things that stand against him to right on Friday, Masi is a very dangerous opponent particularly for a guy like McFadden. Masi has the strength to be direct and the pace to go wide which isn't a problem for Ferg as he has pace and strength too but it means that Fergs defensive decision making is definitely going to be tested.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm

Interesting to see Launchbury at openside, suppose that’s a move to cover for Haskell? I only know him as a lock, could we see Leinster try to exploit that off the back of a scrum? The way we seem to target Donnacha Ryan when he plays backrow for Munster, number 8 goes to SH off the scrum, flanker follows the scrummie, inside ball back to 8, through the gap?

If Heaslip scores off that move tomorrow you all owe me a pint…

… Feic it, 6 pints.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm

Mickado wrote:Interesting to see Launchbury at openside, suppose that’s a move to cover for Haskell? I only know him as a lock, could we see Leinster try to exploit that off the back of a scrum? The way we seem to target Donnacha Ryan when he plays backrow for Munster, number 8 goes to SH off the scrum, flanker follows the scrummie, inside ball back to 8, through the gap?

… Feic it, 6 pints.

I see that bet and will raise you another pint if instead of that move we see Heaslip break openside with the 7 trying to cut off the space and assist the 10 and we see him switch back inside to kearney coming from out to in and attacking the flat footed forwards trying to come across

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm

Launchbury is at blindside - and has perhaps played as much there for Wasps as in the second row.

Johnson has moved from 6 to 8 with Vunipola dropping to the bench.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:51 pm

Launchbury started out as an openside. We should get to see more of him with ball in hand.

Surprised we are persisting with Chris Bell. He has coughed up plenty of ball in the tackle in the last two games.

We are going to need to compete very well at the breakdown and see if we can exploit the pace of our back three to win this game. I suspect this is why Robinson has been picked at 10. He does give us more of an attacking threat.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:54 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Launchbury is at blindside - and has perhaps played as much there for Wasps as in the second row.

Johnson has moved from 6 to 8 with Vunipola dropping to the bench.
Vunipola a big impact player. Dunno feck all about Jones. Anyone?

Think they will miss Haskell. I like him as a player. Very committed and massive experience having played in France, Japan and NZ. Having to start from scratch in 2 of those countries. Means A/ He backs himself, and B/ He is willing to constantly learn new stuff and not rest on his laurels. Good attitude.

We will miss our Bod. Seeing as both of his back ups are also out.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:58 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:Launchbury started out as an openside. We should get to see more of him with ball in hand.

Surprised we are persisting with Chris Bell. He has coughed up plenty of ball in the tackle in the last two games.

We are going to need to compete very well at the breakdown and see if we can exploit the pace of our back three to win this game. I suspect this is why Robinson has been picked at 10. He does give us more of an attacking threat.

I actually think you have looked better in attack with Jones there. While he keeps it simple, with simpson inside, then those 3/4s outside that is what you want. Any time I have sen him this season, Robinson has been woeful.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

Happy with that team,only one player out of position but our bench lacks impact which has been a recurring problem this season.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Mickado wrote:Interesting to see Launchbury at openside, suppose that’s a move to cover for Haskell? I only know him as a lock, could we see Leinster try to exploit that off the back of a scrum? The way we seem to target Donnacha Ryan when he plays backrow for Munster, number 8 goes to SH off the scrum, flanker follows the scrummie, inside ball back to 8, through the gap?

… Feic it, 6 pints.

I see that bet and will raise you another pint if instead of that move we see Heaslip break openside with the 7 trying to cut off the space and assist the 10 and we see him switch back inside to kearney coming from out to in and attacking the flat footed forwards trying to come across

Ok, if both of them happen we'll be langers drunk. Happy days.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:33 pm

Robinson is as likely to lose you the game as win it, and I don't think his passing is too good. Jones looks a lot more controlled.

Where's the Hask?? I was looking forward to see Hask/Johnson/Billy V smash 7 bells out of Leinster Sad

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

Hask's not well

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:37 pm

Had a look at Joneses profile. Very young bloke, is he any good?

Must be, or they would have shoehorned Vunipola in there somewhere.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu 04 Apr 2013, 5:51 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Had a look at Joneses profile. Very young bloke, is he any good?

Sam Jones got game time last sesson, when we were riven with injuries and injury retirements. Valuable experience but he's still very much on a learning curve. Same with Launchbury, despite having been capped. Both work very hard, as does Ash Johnson.

We have gone for a more mobile back row by the looks of it.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:22 am

Hound of Harrow wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Had a look at Joneses profile. Very young bloke, is he any good?

Sam Jones got game time last sesson, when we were riven with injuries and injury retirements. Valuable experience but he's still very much on a learning curve. Same with Launchbury, despite having been capped. Both work very hard, as does Ash Johnson.

We have gone for a more mobile back row by the looks of it.

We have gone for our power backrow.

Wonder what that implies?

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:15 pm

COME ON LEINSTER

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:17 pm

Anyone else getting nervous?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:30 pm

I'll be gutted if I've missed out on an away trip to Dublin, so, come on pests!

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:55 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Anyone else getting nervous?

Very

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm

Woooo go Wade!!

Try Wasps after 2 minutes!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm

five knuckle shuffle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm

Wade just scored already! Great play by the London Wasps.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:04 pm

Booo Robinson misses the conversion Doh

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:04 pm

Masi is a great player isn't he?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:05 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Masi is a great player isn't he?

Yes but poor by Heaslip and the 6 (O'Mahony?) to let him through so easily

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:06 pm

How come Wade can't even make the England squad? He has to be one of Englands best wingers.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

Great line by D'Arcy! Try Leinster!

This is shaping up to be a great game!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

This is going to be a good one. Yahoo
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

Well played Leinster!

Show their class and go straight back up the pitch and score under the posts

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

BOOM!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:08 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Masi is a great player isn't he?

Yes but poor by Heaslip and the 6 (O'Mahony?) to let him through so easily

No LT O'Mahony plays for Munster, the 6 for Leinster is McLaughlin. He looked slow.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:08 pm

How come Wade can't even make the England squad? He has to be one of Englands best wingers.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:08 pm

overlordofthewest wrote:How come Wade can't even make the England squad? He has to be one of Englands best wingers.

Wade is a very impressive young player. I hope England continue to ignore him. Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:09 pm

Two great tries, these games are delivering!

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:11 pm

Gatland and Lancaster sat next to each other in the crowd. Although they've got everything in common, and plenty to discuss, for some reason I can't imagine them having much to say to each other!

Anyway, back to the game: great start for neutrals. A try a piece on 10 mins - great stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next