The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jesse Ryder in intensive care after being 'beaten up'

+12
ShahenshahG
Corporalhumblebucket
Taylorman
Duty281
disneychilly
Biltong
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Dorothy_Mantooth
Fists of Fury
msp83
subhranshu.kumar.5
Shelsey93
16 posters

Go down

Jesse Ryder in intensive care after being 'beaten up' Empty Jesse Ryder in intensive care after being 'beaten up'

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 27 Mar 2013, 10:06 pm

As the title suggests:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/27/jesse-ryder-critical-condition

Terribly sad. He was just getting his career back on track. Witness supports suggests the attack was not premeditated.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Jesse Ryder in intensive care after being 'beaten up' Empty Re: Jesse Ryder in intensive care after being 'beaten up'

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

just heard this on sky, apparently fractured skull and collapsed lung. hope he recovers. Also he was in the IPL, so another big player missing from that tournament this year.

Back to top Go down

Jesse Ryder in intensive care after being 'beaten up' Empty Re: Jesse Ryder in intensive care after being 'beaten up'

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:04 am

I don't know why such a incident with such a big player. In India players have big security when they travel public places. Where were the cops???? A big player is missing cricket. Hope you recover soon.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 28 Mar 2013, 5:41 am

Very sad news indeed. I was really looking forward to his international comeback. A very exciting talent, had his share of personal issues but was getting himself back on track.
At this stage, just hoping he won't be in any life threatening danger and that he would recover soon.
Huge setback for DD in IPL, first Kevin Pietersen got injured, and now this with Ryder.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:18 am

very sad news indeed..thoughts are with him and his family, hope he makes a full recovery

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

Cricketers are barely recognised in countries outside of India, mate. Remember it is a marginalised sport everywhere else, so they often have more danger of being ignored than set upon.

It's terribly sad and sounds like a callous beating from numerous thugs. Just hope he pulls through.

MSP, I'm not sure we should be giving a monkeys about Delhi Daredevils...this is far more serious than a tin pot Twenty20 league, indeed than any cricket.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:31 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
MSP, I'm not sure we should be giving a monkeys about Delhi Daredevils...this is far more serious than a tin pot Twenty20 league, indeed than any cricket.

clap

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

subhranshu.kumar.5 wrote:I don't know why such a incident with such a big player. In India players have big security when they travel public places. Where were the cops???? A big player is missing cricket. Hope you recover soon.

The pub didn't have security working because it was expected to be a quiet night (kiwis don't tend to drink mid-week all that often). And sadly one unfortunate side-effect of the Christchurch earthquake is that a lot of bars were closed due to building damage - the main bar districts in central Christchurch haven't even started rebuilding yet. As a result the surviving venues tend to have a much more mixed clientele (Aikmans used to be quite a posh bar). The cops arrived inside 10 minutes, but sadly too late. I'm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/8483461/Jesse-Ryder-critical-in-coma-after-bashings

And as far as teams having their own security in NZ, rugby players don't get that, and they're a heck of a lot more recognisable (and more well off) than the cricketers.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:26 am

Pete, any update on his condition? The cricinfo report stays more or less the same as it was 5 hours ago.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

msp83 wrote:Pete, any update on his condition? The cricinfo report stays more or less the same as it was 5 hours ago.

The link I posted was updated an hour ago.

Sorry, we have fire alarm drill at work, will post in 30 mins when we're back in the building.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 28 Mar 2013, 11:24 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
msp83 wrote:Pete, any update on his condition? The cricinfo report stays more or less the same as it was 5 hours ago.

The link I posted was updated an hour ago.

Sorry, we have a fire alarm drill at work, will post in 30 mins when we're back in the building.

I can't find any more info in the NZ media (one of the reporters in the byline of the article was a classmate of mine at primary school, but I haven't seen him in 20 years), and it's past midnight in NZ now, so I doubt there'll be any more news for a few hours.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

I found this on an australian website, apparantly this guy has a connection

I’m in touch with a journalist in Christchurch, a former colleague. The sad news is that there is a very strong chance that Jesse Ryder will not pull through from this. If he does, his cricket career is over.

What a terrible thing to happen. He and five teammates from the Wellington Firebirds had played against the Canterbury Whatevers at Hagley Park during the day. Ryder got a duck.

After the match they went up to Aikmans, a usually pleasant bar in a pleasant and well-off area of Christchurch called Merivale. I’ve drunk there, without getting drunk. They had a few drinks but various witnesses have said they were neither noisy nor drunk. Later on in the night the other five Wellington players decided to head to the McDonald’s across the road, leaving Jesse Ryder on his own.

There are unconfirmed reports that the four assailants started things off by referring to Ryder’s failure with the bat. Maybe he reacted, I don’t know. But he soon found himself literally fighting for his life.

I have not heard any rumours of gambling or bikies being a factor in the assault. But it’s not true that no one came to his rescue _ some other bar patrons did intervene, although not until Ryder had taken a terrible beating.

The bar manager was defensive and unimpressive in a video interview running on the website of The Press, Christchurch’s morning newspaper. He did confirm that the bar only has doormen on Friday and Saturday nights, never midweek.

It’s not the first time there’s been trouble at the bar. Someone got glassed there last year. But generally it’s pretty quiet, although since the earthquakes flattened so many bars in the central city, a rougher element has spread their net far and wide into the relatively undamaged suburbs.

There is plenty of CCTV footage available and in a town that size, someone is sure to know who these thugs are, although they are not necessarily Christchurch locals.

Trouble has followed Jesse Ryder around, but never on this scale. As Geoff says, it’s a tragedy.

Update from my Christchurch source:

It seems the assault did not actually happen in Aikmans Bar or in its courtyard, but in the McDonald’s carpark and also in the street. (But McDonald’s reckon that is not the case.)

Ryder’s teammates had gone ahead and were unaware he was being attacked until it was almost over.

A female friend was apparently with Ryder. He got knocked to the ground but got up to face the assailants. The woman friend tried to get him to back off but he was then attacked again.

Ugly.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:20 pm

he may not get through it...?

that is truly devastating!

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

I'm trying to get details too-Jesse played a lot of indoor in the Hutt as did I and we have a lot of mutual friends. Will probably hear more in the morning.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:47 pm

I really hope he'll pull through.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:51 pm

Here's hoping Jesse Ryder recovers and those that did it are brought to justice.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 29 Mar 2013, 3:53 am

Theyve caught and charged one of the 4- a 20 year old. They were all seen by many people so the rest will follow no doubt. I've had the odd beer with Jesse through a common mate out at Naenae and he's a nice guy, just one of the boys who happens to have an extraordinary talent. Really hacks me off a bunch of immature sh^%ts have done this.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:19 am

There is some good news, Ryder's condition is now said to be stable rather than critical. And one of the assailants is charged.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/627184.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:29 am

Theyve got two now. A 38 year old. Really good to see the support around the country and around the world. No one deserves this and I hope they throw the book at these nobody, cowardly thugs.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

The news sounds a bit more encouraging.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

good to hear he's stable...he has also interacted with his parents and manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:06 am

Now hes out of the serious danger,off the ventilator and chatting with friends and family.

At this rate he'll be lining up to bat in no time!

Kia Kaha Jesse and welcome back.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:33 pm

Good news then. Get well soon mate. Thanks for update taylorman

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 2:37 pm

Jesse out of coma and the ventilator is certainly good news. the report from cricinfo indicates that he hasn't recovered his memories of the attack as yet.
Hopes he'll be back well and good pretty soon.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/current/story/627270.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

Great to see he's on the road to recovery.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:01 am

Ryder is not out of ICU, and he has stated that he's feeling a lot better.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Mar 2013, 6:15 pm

MSP- Ryder is out of intensive care..

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

Indeed he's. That's pretty good news for sure.
Getting back to cricket seems a fair way away as of now, but its a matter of great relief to see that he has pulled through the life threatening critical stage. Cricket can wait for now, but I really hope Jesse will be back to entertain us all, and perhaps this harrowing experience might make him appreciate the good things in life a lot more.
Anyways just happy to see him starting on the path to recovery as of now.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:13 am

Ryder has a pretty checquered past, and the article claims Ryder knew the assailants. Friends from the dark days? I have a mate in recovery, the amount of times this could have happened to him is scary. Hope he recovers
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:18 pm

i just hope he makes a full recovery!

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

I am glad Ryder is looking like fully out of danger.

we will miss him this IPL.......he was an "impact player"...but let him get fit, fully reciver and he will add value to many IPLs to come
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

Ryder's out of hospital and back home in Wellington http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/8505481/Bashed-Jesse-Ryder-returns-home

Hopefully a few weeks rest for the ribs to heal and he'll be back scaring bowlers.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:35 am

Any chance of him being ready for the England tour?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:38 am

msp83 wrote:Any chance of him being ready for the England tour?

Unlikely I'd say. Even if recovered he'd have to (a) get match fit and (b) decide he wants to play.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

That would be a miraculous recovery.

After a serious head injury I doubt doctors would want him to bat (and risk being hit on the head again) for quite a few months. But who knows?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2013, 6:05 pm

rumours were that, he may not play again..

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:34 am

Great bit of news that he's now back home after reports that he may not even make it. Hopefully we see a full recovery and a return to cricket when he's ready.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:57 pm

Well with the reports of him being in a coma, the chances of him playing cricket again at a first class level are slim now as he will have to relearn the eye-hand coordination movements needed to hit a cricket ball well as well as to make difficult catches.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm

Latest from the case:
One of the witnesses may be facing contempt of court charges after naming the accuseds on-line and posting ctv footage of the attackers. Local newspaper The Press (part of www.stuff.co.nz) published the accused's names before the judge could issue a suppresion order too.

And the reports of the injuries Ryder suffered have been downgraded - severe concussion and cracked ribs rather than fractured skull and collapsed lung. Still not pleasant mind you.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/8523913/Police-aware-of-Ryder-fight-video
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8516468/Witness-puts-video-of-Ryders-attackers-online
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8505884/Ryder-injury-from-punch-and-fall
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down