The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Lions Bolters

+13
maestegmafia
George Carlin
Wi11
Fluxy
21st Century Schizoid Man
Cardiff Taffy
thebluesmancometh
Seagultaf
t1000advancedprototype
aitchw
gleesonisgod
Tiger/Chief
17 posters

Go down

Possible Lions Bolters Empty Possible Lions Bolters

Post by Tiger/Chief Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:14 am

Only really know about English rugby and the Prem in detail but I'd say

Billy Vunipola but perhaps Falatau is ahead of him

Christian Wade who is a try scoring machine and ridiculously fun to watch

Jonny may again very quick capable of try's from no where and can play 11 and 15

Any others from any where?

I

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Possible Lions Bolters Empty Re: Possible Lions Bolters

Post by gleesonisgod Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:37 am

Would have said Madigan but with Biggar, Sexton, Farrell, ahead of him I can't see it happening. I would have him next in line, he looked seriously good versus Italy and probably hates Kidney for ruining his chances.

Luke Marshall has certainly put himself in the frame with nobody at centre really doing much.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

Don't want Wade, B Vunipola or May going with the Lions. They need to go to Argentina with England.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

Just remember john bentley in 1997.

There will be wildcards selected this year

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:51 am

Ken Owens has looked superb coming on as a sub for Wales.

Wade is absolutely electric at club level.

Shingler has tons of pace and will enjoy the hard grounds.

Madigan could go as 3rd 10 and utility back cover.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:56 am

gleesonisgod wrote:Would have said Madigan but with Biggar, Sexton, Farrell, ahead of him I can't see it happening. I would have him next in line, he looked seriously good versus Italy and probably hates Kidney for ruining his chances.

Luke Marshall has certainly put himself in the frame with nobody at centre really doing much.

Centre is pretty strong with Tugiali, Davies and Roberts fighting for the two starting berths.

Biggar has his limitations but has played better as the championship has progressed, I think Farrell will struggle to stay in the England team, he usually kicks his goals but his game is limited, both Flood and Burns are better 10s. Madigan is a good shout as an utility/ 3rd 10.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Bolters...

After yesterday Hibbard, Owens, Jenkins, Falatau, Biggar all did themselves no harm I hadn't considered these players to tour realistically but some big performances yesterday against lions opposition!!!

I think Wood still stands an outside shot at 6,

Ryan might be a shout for lock,

Brown would be on the outskirts for me,

I would also still be considering a few outsiders such as Wilkinson, Armitage and Hines.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:22 pm

Tipuric could be considered a bolter, after all he only has 15 Wales caps and before the tournament not many were picking him. I'd say he's nailed on for the test team now..

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm

Cardiff Taffy wrote:Tipuric could be considered a bolter, after all he only has 15 Wales caps and before the tournament not many were picking him. I'd say he's nailed on for the test team now..

I had him over Warburton before the tournament, with he and Armitage as the form 7's in euro rugby!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:29 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Cardiff Taffy wrote:Tipuric could be considered a bolter, after all he only has 15 Wales caps and before the tournament not many were picking him. I'd say he's nailed on for the test team now..

I had him over Warburton before the tournament, with he and Armitage as the form 7's in euro rugby!

Yeah Steffon Armitage is a good shout too. Not seen any of his recent games but I've read all the plaudits he's been receiving. You don't get rated best overseas player for nowt.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

Dan Biggar was rather good yesterday. Think Laidlaw and Philips will be the 9s as Youngs, Care and Murray were gash yesterday and exposed their obvious weaknesses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Sun 17 Mar 2013, 1:59 pm

"gash" - laughing

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Sun 17 Mar 2013, 2:02 pm

Surely it's not all about yesterday though! Care has being carving up the prem and Heineken cup for the last 2 years and I don't think you can blame youngs for England's failure at scrum and ruck time

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

Tiger/Chief wrote:Surely it's not all about yesterday though! Care has being carving up the prem and Heineken cup for the last 2 years and I don't think you can blame youngs for England's failure at scrum and ruck time

Re watch the Italy and Ireland game tiger, neither were any good then too!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Sun 17 Mar 2013, 3:15 pm

I was of the opinion that a Bolter was an uncapped player?

Wade for me, although Daly is an even longer shot!

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

I have a feeling Wade might go, he offers something very different to the other wingers and will like the Aussie conditions.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

Lots of squad positions seem to be lacking clear cut candidates:

A. Hooker - we need three of them, so I would have no problem taking Hibbard to accompany Best and Youngs. No way I would have said that 4 weeks ago.

B. Wings - it's a terrible thing to admit but I don't think that Bowe will make it and Ashton's campaign to travel may be holed below the waterline because of his petulance and lack of defensive nous in this tournament.

This, coupled with the fact that it wasn't a particularly great tournament for wingers scoring all round means that there's genuinely cases to be made for a number of people. North and Cuthbert are already on the plane and for the other 2 slots, you can take your pick.

The one player that I wouldn't leave without would be Maitland - he's only touched the ball a handful of times but his defensive performances have been stunning and that's what we'll need again Ioane, Mitchell, et al. His two trysaving tackles on O'Driscoll won the Scotland-Ireland game as much as anything. I think people are losing the place with some of the wings that have been suggested. For example, I'm a big Zebo fan but the man has 5 caps and 2 tries. To take him instead of the Super 15's top try scorer in 2011 (Maitland also holds the single game scoring record) seems completely mental to me.

C. No 8 - I genuinely don't think that there's been a candidate who's consistently excellent in each game of the tournament. Faletau has been the best on aggregate, followed by some flair moments from Beattie but you could make a case for a number of people, not least taking Sean O'Brien as an 8 which would free up back row slots for Robshaw, Tipuric, Warbuton and Brown, all of whom deserve to travel.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:31 pm

I'd say Alex Dunbar is in with a shout, inside centre isn't a position of strength and he's strong, fast, has a step and good hands, he nearly always beats the first man and looks for an offload which the likes of Tuilagi, Davies and O'Driscoll would be devastating next to.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 17 Mar 2013, 4:39 pm

Numbers - I completely agree that Dunbar is a high enough quality player to travel but the fact he wasn't in the 6N squad will have killed his chances. Let's call it the 'Christian Wade Problem'.

To be honest, a squad of 37/38 presents so few opportunities once the incumbents are all ticked off, that the remaining spots can only be realistically contested by a handful of players and it's very hard to envisage circumstances where that won't be players who have just seen some international gametime. The only players who won't fit into that category will be those who already have big reputations but who are trying to show that they are fit to play - Ferris, Lydiate, Bowe and Rennie are some of the distressingly plentiful examples. And Henson, obviously.

The last chance saloon for getting in front of selectors in a meaningful way are the Rabo, Jeff and Top 14 play-offs. From a cycloptic, Scots perspective, there should be plenty of interest in each of those sets of games, thankfully.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 17 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

Matt Scott or Luke Marshall both deserve a decent review. Very good inside centres.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sun 17 Mar 2013, 5:19 pm

Paul James and Ken Owens. Both have done a great back up job for Wales and I think either would get into other teams first 15.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 17 Mar 2013, 6:59 pm

Owens or Hibbard, Welsh fans?

I think that if there will be at least one English lock in the test XV (and it's not inconceivable that Launchbury and Parling could start a test), then Wazza will want a hooker that's used to working with them. I cannot get comfortable with Hartley, regardless of how good he can be as a player, so I think that means Best and Youngs The Larger will fly out, leaving just one more slot. Owens looks to offer more in the loose, with Hibbard's bulk maybe making him harder to shift at the set piece.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DrTreasure Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

I think it's not possible due to his contract but Sam Tompkins would be a great bolter for the lions. His pace, skill and being an unknown quality to the Aussies could have added an extra element of interest and excitement to the tour.

Also I think while we know dunbars ability and potential, I don't see any way he could be given consideration given his non involvement in the six nations. A real missed opportunity as I don't think centre is a position of strength for the lions and his style of play could have been an asset to them.

DrTreasure

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

George Carlin wrote:Owens or Hibbard, Welsh fans?

I think that if there will be at least one English lock in the test XV (and it's not inconceivable that Launchbury and Parling could start a test), then Wazza will want a hooker that's used to working with them. I cannot get comfortable with Hartley, regardless of how good he can be as a player, so I think that means Best and Youngs The Larger will fly out, leaving just one more slot. Owens looks to offer more in the loose, with Hibbard's bulk maybe making him harder to shift at the set piece.

Launchbury and Parling both go for me, but neither ousts Evans IMHO, and together have proved a bit lightweight. I'd go with Launchbury and Evans with AWJ on the bench personally.

But Youngs... ? No chance, he's a fiesty little tackler and dynamic when carrying, but he is too small and lightweight. His defence and attack were non existant yesterday, not to mention Jones making a fool of him and Marler in the scrum, and his lineout throwing has been awfull all tournament.

Before the tournament I wouldve gone with...

Owens, Ford and Best

But now would switch Hibbard with Ford.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Matt Scott or Luke Marshall both deserve a decent review. Very good inside centres.

You can add Madigan as another 12 option too, I see one of those players travelling OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:59 pm

DrTreasure wrote:I think it's not possible due to his contract but Sam Tompkins would be a great bolter for the lions. His pace, skill and being an unknown quality to the Aussies could have added an extra element of interest and excitement to the tour.

Also I think while we know dunbars ability and potential, I don't see any way he could be given consideration given his non involvement in the six nations. A real missed opportunity as I don't think centre is a position of strength for the lions and his style of play could have been an asset to them.

He would be anl Jason Robinson. A real treasure.

Welsh grandmother?

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:04 pm

Can't see any other semi-realistic uncapped players than Christian Wade, and tbh that would surely only be a pick according to the bolter tradition.

Madigan and Marshall have a shot as semi-bolters...
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:06 pm

Rhys Patchell of the Blues? Very handy 10/12! and Gatlands a big fan.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm

I hope he (Patchell) is at the JWC. That will be a good test of his abilities and mentality, as he'll likely be involved in a big, KO game. Something he won't get with the Blues.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:20 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I hope he (Patchell) is at the JWC. That will be a good test of his abilities and mentality, as he'll likely be involved in a big, KO game. Something he won't get with the Blues.

Yet Very Happy

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down