The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Fedal Are So Good

+3
bogbrush
HM Murdock
hawkeye
7 posters

Go down

Why Fedal Are So Good Empty Why Fedal Are So Good

Post by hawkeye Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:28 am

After getting up at 2.00am to watch Federer and Nadal play (because they are worth it) I thought I'd write about why they are so good. break_in_the_fifth must be a mind reader because not only did they guess I would do it but they also have an understanding of why.

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Now all we need is a HE article saying what a pleasure it is to watch these two champions with the unique angles and shots they come up with only against each other and everything will be complete.

It's not only a pleasure to watch the way they play with 28 slam titles between them it is also pretty effective. They both hit that sweet spot between going for crazy low percentage winners all the time and boring everyone to death by just keeping the ball in play. When they hit winners they may be spectacular but they are controlled. For example Federer's serve is not the fastest but when they put up the screen graphics to show where he hits them they are stunningly accurate. Nadal last night hit some stunning backhand winners but they were winners because of the accurate angle he hit rather than just the speed.

The rest of their game is similarly controlled and aggressive. So you get the winners but not the number of errors that you get when so called aggressive players go for their shots. Gulbis who played in this way against Nadal in the previous round was a case in point. He plays way too high risk to be effective. It may work every now and then but more often than not will result in an error fest. Most players can't match Nadal and Federer at their best by playing their own game they are forced to take risks to have a chance. When Federer said that he was surprised about that infamous shot that Djokovic hit against him in the US Open this was a huge complement. It's the nearest he's got to admitting him to the Fedal club...

As for the result of the IW quarter final in the long run it matters little. After the break in the first set it was perhaps like most exhibitions a foregone conclusion. Both these players have bigger fights ahead and shouldn't over exert themselves on hardcourts. Hardcourts are not the place for old and fragile bodies and sadly with closing in on 1,500 match wins between them they are both that. Better save themselves for the important part of the season including the two most prestigious slams. They just happen to have titles to defend there.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Why Fedal Are So Good Empty Re: Why Fedal Are So Good

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:36 am

Dave, going by quotes, the match wasn't at all special.

Another letdown, though if JHM's accounts are accurate then yes I will concede it was good.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:56 am

hawkeye wrote:The rest of their game is similarly controlled and aggressive. So you get the winners but not the number of errors that you get when so called aggressive players go for their shots.
Federer hit 13 winners and made 30 unforced errors.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:02 am

I think we have to get used to writing about Roger in the past tense. I've come round to it, got to face facts.

I'm definitely getting Wimbledon day 1 Centre tickets, I just have to see the great man strut some stuff there before it's too late.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:07 am

Well when Federer's time is finally up he can look back on a career unsurpassed by achievements in the past and perhaps in the future so hardly an occasion to be morose. Does he have one last hurrah in him? If so best bet has to be on Wimbledon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:16 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well when Federer's time is finally up he can look back on a career unsurpassed by achievements in the past and perhaps in the future so hardly an occasion to be morose. Does he have one last hurrah in him? If so best bet has to be on Wimbledon.

Exactly Craig. He can never be counted out at Wimbledon - one of the four most prestigious slams! I fully expect him to do well there this year.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:19 am

If there's to be a last hurrah, it will be Wimbledon.

The concern is that the back problem has lingered for months now and continues to cause difficulty.

Many hope to see Federer overcome this for one last golden moment. I suspect that this has actually already happened: 8th July 2012.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:20 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well when Federer's time is finally up he can look back on a career unsurpassed by achievements in the past and perhaps in the future so hardly an occasion to be morose. Does he have one last hurrah in him? If so best bet has to be on Wimbledon.
It's the obvious choice for the Last Stand.

He can take it easy(ish) through the clay season, it means the chance to pass Pete Sampras and William Renshaw and stand alone at #8, get #18 Slam and basically it's his and everyones #1 event.

Just needs some help with the draw, essentially not being the unlucky guy who gets the #5/6 Nadal in his quarter.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:23 am

HM Murdoch wrote:If there's to be a last hurrah, it will be Wimbledon.

The concern is that the back problem has lingered for months now and continues to cause difficulty.

Many hope to see Federer overcome this for one last golden moment. I suspect that this has actually already happened: 8th July 2012.
That's the funny thing about the Last Great Moment, hardly anyone ever knows it for what it is when it happens.

In truth the back has been an issue since before he was a top pro, it's just that age/long career is bringing it on strong now. I also recall him having a bad time with it in the annus horribilis of 2008.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:29 am

bogbrush wrote:That's the funny thing about the Last Great Moment, hardly anyone ever knows it for what it is when it happens.
2012 was a perfect moment.

Almost falling to injury in the early rounds but scraping through. Then taking out the leading lights of the next generation in successive rounds, winning number 7 (and 17) and springboarding on to 300 weeks.

It couldn't be scripted any better.

With sport, and certainly with Federer, I rule nothing as impossible. But to get two such moments? It would be simply astonishing.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:35 am

I can think only of Pete Sampras when it was obvious that was the last Hurrah.

You're probably right on Federer, unless he gets an awesome draw and some good surprises in the early rounds. But we don't even get them any more do we?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:52 am

Yep 2012 was probably it...and had he not had that huge match with Delpo I suspect he'd have won the Gold too - and he could have drifted off into a Golden sunset as well.

To be honest I think his goose is cooked now...the motivation is starting to ebb away. You can feel it - he didn't even look too worried about losing last night. Plus Nadal wasn't even that good either...had he been 100% himself it could have been an embarrassing scoreline. There's nothing good to be taken from the match other than its another HC match for Nadal in his return. But you really felt Federer knew he couldn't win the match and kind of gave up after the first set with the warm prospect of 2 months ahead without having to pick up a racquet.

I'd always said he would never play on beyond 2014 - Basel would be his send-off...kind of where it started as a ballboy and his first emergence. But I could be wrong...it might be Basel 2013 because if things don't pick up through 2013 I cant see him wanting to grind this out in 2014. And if I'm honest, with Rafa back in the fold by summer life is only going to get even more difficult for a guy who's given so much to the sport.

So I agree BB...discussions about Federer are likely going to be past-tense moving forwards. He gave you guys an incredible 2012...probably more than anyone expected really. Its just always a case of knowing when to get out...all the top guys in any sport rarely leave at the right time. Sampras is a 1-off in that respect, in a weird transitional period of time in tennis too. Sampras could rely on the serve getting him through rounds back in the faster days (US02 was still quick)...Federer cant rely on that, he's going to have to grind out anything. So does Fed want to really keep doing that - to have to keep the conditioning level skyhigh? And to add what? 'Just' another slam to the trophy cabinet that's already brimming full?

I don't think so...I reckon he and Mirka will have a good chat over these next 2 months and maybe, just maybe they agree its time to call it quits with a swansong in Basel 2013 (yes he can still enter it...). I'm planning on taking my son to ATP Tour finals this year...I really hope Federer makes it that far and with enough points to qualify, I want my son to be able to say he saw the legend play. I'm worried he wont get that now to be quite frank Sad
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:40 pm

@Lydian... perhaps Basel rather than WTF would be a good alternative for your son to see.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down