The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biltong - apparently not all that it seems to be.

+7
GunsGerms
damage_13
fa0019
Biltong
Bathman_in_London
LondonTiger
gregortree
11 posters

Go down

Biltong - apparently not all that it seems to be. Empty Biltong - apparently not all that it seems to be.

Post by gregortree Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:41 am

Been invited to a nice summer 'Brau' in the RSA ?
It might not be all that it seems to be. So not just in Europe then.

South Africa study finds donkey meat sold as beef. Donkey meat is not known to be harmful to humans. Donkey, water buffalo and goat meat have been sold as burgers and sausages in South Africa, a study says. A study published by the local Stellenbosch University found that 99 of 139 samples contained species not declared in the product label.

Last edited by gregortree on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction to Biltong)

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Biltong - apparently not all that it seems to be. Empty Re: Biltong - apparently not all that it seems to be.

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:44 am

Are you calling Bilt an ass ? Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Biltong - apparently not all that it seems to be. Empty Re: Biltong - apparently not all that it seems to be.

Post by gregortree Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:49 am

Wiki seesm to suggest anything goes

Biltong is a kind of cured meat that originated in South Africa. Many different types of meat are used to produce it, ranging from beef through game meats to fillets of ostrich

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:52 am

It tastes really good and is recognisable as meat, which puts this story in a different category from the findus lasagne one.

Besides, who can really tell the difference between donkey and zebra when is dried and covered in spices?!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:54 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:It tastes really good and is recognisable as meat, which puts this story in a different category from the findus lasagne one.

Besides, who can really tell the difference between donkey and zebra when is dried and covered in spices?!

Lord whenever I have been offered biltong it reminded me of the leather laces you get for army boots.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:56 am

That is why I buy my Biltong only at reputable butcheries. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

I think you need to change your supplier LT!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:I think you need to change your supplier LT!

It has normally been offered by Saffas I have worked with. Odd thing - they were all Bulls fans.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:22 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:I think you need to change your supplier LT!

It has normally been offered by Saffas I have worked with. Odd thing - they were all Bulls fans.
well there is your problem, they believe in their suppliers they way they believe in their team.

Not prepared to take any criticism at all.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:33 am

Biltong wrote:That is why I buy my Biltong only at reputable butcheries. Wink

You mean you buy your biltong from checkers??? Wink

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:46 am

Water Buffalo meat is actually better for you than Beef!

The meat is indistinguishable in flavour from beef, however it is lower in cholesterol and higher in mineral content than meat from cattle. Lean water buffalo meat has less than half (44%) the total fat content of lean beef and has proportionately less saturated fat compared with beef (30% vs. 40%). Pasture raised meats offer more omega-3 and fewer omega-6 fatty acids.

http://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/biltong-biltong-jerky/laverstoke-park-farm/buffalo-biltong-sliced-250g_ct530bd190pd1730.htm

their burgers are to die for

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:58 am

Do you work there?

I have had those burgers, very tasty.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:01 pm

fa0019 wrote:
Biltong wrote:That is why I buy my Biltong only at reputable butcheries. Wink

You mean you buy your biltong from checkers??? Wink
Laugh thats the stuff they send across the water Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:03 pm

Bought a lovely bag of Ikea meatballs a couple of weeks ago. Within hours the news broke that all Ikea meatballs have been removed accross Europe as they contain horse meat. I ate them anyway and they were delicious. Yum yum horsey.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm

Bathman: nope, but they have a shop in in Twickenham, they should have a stall at the Stoop methinks

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:12 pm

Any jokes about well hung donkey biltong should be forwarded to cari for approval.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Bought a lovely bag of Ikea meatballs a couple of weeks ago. Within hours the news broke that all Ikea meatballs have been removed accross Europe as they contain horse meat. I ate them anyway and they were delicious. Yum yum horsey.

Well, your initials are GG Shocked

I'll get my coat...

Run

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

surprised it could be made at all in the UK given the generally wet climate for much of the year.
I guess it could be made indoors.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm

It was made in ireland for a while too.

http://www.biltong.ie/

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

Most popular names in Ireland I assume - Rene & Lukas???

Those pesky Transvalers Boere get in everywhere it seems (assumptions from the website).

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:05 pm

fa0019 wrote:Most popular names in Ireland I assume - Rene & Lukas???

Those pesky Transvalers Boere get in everywhere it seems (assumptions from the website).

No not really. There is also a well known SA shop in Dublin called Jabula where you can get anything South African including the SA team who often visit when they play Ireland.

www.jabula.ie/

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 28 Feb 2013, 12:23 am

I've had donkey many times in China. Its a specialty meat and more expensive than most others. Very yummy.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

There's a site called exoticmeats.co.uk where you can buy zebra, alpaca, camel and all sorts of meat including 100% horsemeat burgers.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down