The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acting - Is charisma more important than ability????

+2
Hoggy_Bear
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Acting - Is charisma more important than ability???? Empty Acting - Is charisma more important than ability????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Think it is these days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Acting - Is charisma more important than ability???? Empty Re: Acting - Is charisma more important than ability????

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:48 pm

In terms of landing roles, yes I think the film industry has leaned that way in more recent times. There are lots of actors who's charisma is their talent. Take Will Farrell. He plays that card very well of being able to match off screen persona with the roles he plays and his charisma is being dry and witty and outlandish.

That said the film industry has many talented actors who on ability land roles and are able apply that ability on a range of genre's. Look at Di Caprio who yes some might argue is Scorcese's leading man, but he has had some very varied roles over his career. Similar to his co-star in Basketball Diaries Mark Wahlberg. Started with some minor supporting roles and has had some really solid performances in the lead roles.

Actors with charisma to me end up being typecast very early and easily in their careers. Jim Carrey for me was one I always expected to remain typecast to comedies and despite surviving Batman Forever landed some really good roles and put in more complex peformances like in The Truman Show, Man on the Moon and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Charisma will get you so far, but if haven't the ability you could end up in the wilderness. Travolta had charisma and was the forgotten man in the 80's because he was so limited and took time out in between failure films to improve his acting.

Back to top Go down

Acting - Is charisma more important than ability???? Empty Re: Acting - Is charisma more important than ability????

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think it is these days..

Think it always has been depending on the type of film you're looking at.
For example, Clark Gable, Cary Grant or Errol Flynn, why were they cast so often as leading men? Because they were great actors or because they were charismatic ones?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm

If you're looking at film-making as a business then box-office charisma is more important, if you're looking at film-making as art then ability is more important.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Actually I think its less these days. So many new actors I see on chat shows etc seem so void of personality and have such little to say.
I do think though that any actor needs some form of charisma to engage an audience. Which is why I really do not understand the success of 'Twilight'.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Agreed about twilight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Twilight was succesful due to teenage girls lapping up "shirt off" shots of young muscular men, according to my wife...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think it is these days..
"These days"? It always was.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down