The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Welsh v Sale Sharks

+16
Cyril
doctor_grey
RDW
t1000advancedprototype
funnyExiledScot
Rugby Fan
glamorganalun
formerly known as Sam
Portnoy's Complaint
BigTrevsbigmac
LondonTiger
markb
Looseheaded
maestegmafia
Ospreydragon
mbernz
20 posters

Go down

London Welsh v Sale Sharks Empty London Welsh v Sale Sharks

Post by mbernz Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:27 pm

I'm a bit surprised this match hasn't been brought up yet, I'm not a supporter of either side but given the games remaining for the bottom three the loser of this one on Sunday would seem to put themselves on the more likely run to relegation.

London Welsh have home advantage but only one win in the last ten (home against Cavalieri Prato), no wins from their last four Premiership outings. Bottom side Sale have won four from their last ten, two wins from their last four Premiership games.

Sale get Richie Gray back but are missing Dwayne Peel. Welsh gives the Argentine international backrow Cabello his debut and bench the halfbacks (Ross and Keats) who have started the large majority of their wins in favour of Henson and Davies (the former's first start and only second game since November, the latter's first Premiership match ever, also playing at scrum-half rather than his usual fly-half/fullback).

London Welsh: Arscott; MacKenzie, Tiesi, Parker, Scott; Henson, Davies; Montanella, Briggs, Ion; Mills (c), Corker; Balding, Cabello, Jackson.
Replacements: Bateman, Bristow, Tideswell, Kulemin, Hills, Keats, Ross, Jewell.

Sale Sharks: Miller; Amesbury, Leota, Tuitupou, Cueto; Cipriani, Cliff; Dickinson, Jones, Thomas; Gray, Holmes; Braid, Seymour (c), Gaskell.
Replacements: Taylor, Harrison, Roberts, Powell, Vernon, Willis, Macleod, Addison.

mbernz

Back to top Go down

London Welsh v Sale Sharks Empty Re: London Welsh v Sale Sharks

Post by Ospreydragon Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:51 pm

Good to see Gav start at 10! I hope he avoids injury from now on. This is his 2rd match since his comeback from injuries, so he needs a few more to get his match fitness. Then we'll see how he is playing.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm

By Robert Kitson

The Guardian, Friday 15 February

Lyn Jones has been listening to doom-laden predictions for months now. Initially people told him London Welsh would never be promoted to the Premiership. Then, when the impossible came true in late June, they reckoned his team would struggle to win a single game. Even he began to fear the worst – "You won't believe how frightened I was on 1 July" – as the magnitude of the challenge finally dawned.

And now? With eight matches left to play, Welsh sit 10th in the league, six points clear of bottom-placed Sale Sharks and one ahead of London Irish. Should Sale lose in Oxford on Sunday, Welsh could conceivably be 10 points clear of the basement by the final whistle. Either way, Jones believes the relegation scrap will extend to the final round.

"It's amazing how much you can get out of people when you push them to the edge of a cliff," he murmured this week, as determined as ever to scatter the doubters and ensure Welsh cling to their hard-earned Premiership status.

Spend even a few minutes with the 48-year-old Jones and his upbeat captain Jonathan Mills and there is absolutely no hint of a bedraggled dragon. True, the Exiles have stalled somewhat, without a league win since 1 December, but the recent signings of the seasoned Argentinian international pair Julio Cabello and Gonzalo Tiesi suggest fresh intent.

Gavin Henson is back fit at fly-half – in direct opposition to Danny Cipriani – and the mood remains defiant. They reckon the pressure on the Sharks is far greater; the rumour at Welsh is that contractual negotiations at Sale next season are on hold until after Sunday's result is known. True or false, it suits Welsh to believe every word.

In Jones they also have a master motivator; during his time at the Ospreys he was perhaps the only coach who ever consistently got the best out of Henson. From the outset the former Neath flanker decided seven victories were required to keep Welsh up; they have four, including a win at Salford.

"We always knew Irish and Sale would come hard eventually and they're not disappointing," admits Jones. "Lately teams have given us a bit more respect and have coded us and begun to work us out. That's the beauty of rugby and that's the challenge. But there's still a long way to go." In his view it is not simply a three-horse race. "Worcester are five points ahead of us and their away form is pretty poor. We're looking to finish above them."

The 28-year-old Mills, enjoying an influential season in the second-row having previously struggled to establish himself at Bath and the Scarlets, also believes the best is yet to come. "We're a miles better side now than we were at the start of the season. We're not the flashest but we work hard for each other, we'll make our tackles and we'll graft. That's why we've picked up so many bonus points this year. If we stay up by one point at the end of the season, that'll be why. We'll keep fighting no matter what."

And who could say they do not deserve a dash of luck, given they joined the elite with both hands and ankles effectively bound? It took a prolonged appeal process before an independent panel of QCs ruled Premiership Rugby had to promote Welsh rather than exclude them on a flawed technicality. Confirmation only arrived on 29 June, long after every decent English player had been signed up. Hence the reason for Jones's brief shiver of fear. " It's wasn't just the Aviva Premiership, it was the Amlin, the LV-Cup and the A team. We didn't just qualify for one competition, we qualified for four. The amount of work, the number of people we had to employ … it's still an issue for us."

The club also continue to operate on a playing budget 50% smaller than the salary cap permits; this season relegated Newcastle still receive double the amount of funding. Even Harry Houdini would have winced at the odds on escaping the drop. Mills openly admits the opening weeks were tough: "A lot of us didn't know what to expect. After the first two games, against Leicester and Harlequins, people were saying: 'That's the end of them, they haven't got a chance.' We had a lot of new boys in. Some of them had only just started speaking English, never mind playing in the Premiership. I didn't think we'd be where we are now but I always thought the last eight games would be when we'd be at our best."

Strength of character, reckons Mills, will also count for plenty in the final analysis. "What's shone through this season is how close our group is. We haven't got star names but we're an old-fashioned rugby team with an old-fashioned work-rate. Their noses don't get put out of joint having to train on a crappy pitch or not having the facilities of other clubs. We'll work hard no matter what. That shows on the pitch, when push comes to shove. We've ground out results throughout the season and I'm sure we'll grind out some more."

It promises, even so, to be desperately tight. After this weekend, five of Welsh's last seven games are away from home. Nor have they been at the Kassam long enough to establish it as a fortress. But Jones, with the spires of Oxford now a permanent backdrop, has a recurring dream. Welsh's final game is at home to Worcester and in his mind's eye, he can already see Henson slotting over a winning 50-metre penalty in the dying seconds.

"If we just coach and prepare from week to week we will get caught short at the end of the season. But if we can try to improve our players, focus on ourselves and keep developing, we'll get what we want. You can't think small. To be big, you've got to think big." If Jones and his players survive, it will be among the most colossal efforts in Premiership history.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

anyone have a link to this game or not?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:59 pm

Not being televised.

Audio is available here:

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/MatchCentreLive

Match video will be available here tomorrow:

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/FullMatchReplays

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun 17 Feb 2013, 3:03 pm

cheers mate I thought that'd be the case

I can't stand ESPN and their half arsed prem coverage
one game a week is pointless

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 17 Feb 2013, 3:21 pm

Looseheaded wrote:cheers mate I thought that'd be the case

When Sky have one, ESPN have 2. This weekemd Sky had two, so ESPN just had one. They cannot both have two as it is limited to 3 per weekend.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Sun 17 Feb 2013, 3:33 pm

ESPN show the majority of the Premiership matches, with 2 games more weekends, 43 live games over the season to Sky's 26.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:04 pm

12 - 20 to Sale 2nd try just after half time.

4 pens for LW.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

Looseheaded wrote:cheers mate I thought that'd be the case

I like ESPN's match coverage - much better than Sky - especially since they seem to have ditched FitzPatrick and Lynagh.

Still. It looks like ESPN are quitting UK sport coverage anyway.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:42 pm

They aren't ditching so much as losing out on all the lucrative contracts.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

25 - 26 massive win for Sale on the road.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:50 pm

25-26 sale win

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 17 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

Sounded like a fascinating finish.

First of all, Sale turned down a penalty well into the final quarter, when still behind 25-23, in order to go for a try. They eventually won an easier penalty, which they took for the lead.

Then, at the death, they had another penalty which they could have used to wind down the game for the win. Instead, the elected to go for a try, the thinking being that they needed to deny London Welsh the bonus point.

Welsh turned over the ball and briefly looked like they might break out. At least, the local radio commentators thought there was an overlap. It could have turned into a disaster for Sale but they got the ball back and didn't take another risk.

Henson got MOM and sounded like he put in some nice touches.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:19 pm

"Gavin Henson starred ...", even though LW lost by a point:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21431470

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

Ospreydragon wrote:"Gavin Henson starred ...", even though LW lost by a point
He was named Man-of-the-Match. It's not uncommon for a player on a losing side to get it, especially when the result is in the balance near the end.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:30 pm

Huge win for Sale - blow for London Welsh. Going to need an epic effort to stay up and Sale have a bit of momentum now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:55 pm

Bring Gav back to Wales.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 17 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm

Huge win for Sale. Fear for London Welsh now as they have 4 away games on the trot, and only 2 more home games left.

On the plus side, means Richie Gray might not be in a relegated team after all!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 17 Feb 2013, 6:38 pm

Rugby Fan, I wasn't questioning his MOM award (I was merely quoting the BBC article and pointing out that he'd won such praise despite a loss). It's great to see that Gav won a MOM award and I hope there are plenty more. I just hope he avoids any more injuries. Wales needs a fit and in-form Henson -- he's far more talented than the centres currently playing.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:10 pm

So the end of the season is going to be very tight for Welsh, Irish, and Sale. All three teams have the same number of wins and losses, only bonus points are the difference.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm

Fixtures:

LW - Exeter, Saracens, Gloucester, Bath (all away), Saints (h) Irish (a) Worcester (h)

LI - Wasps (h), Saints (a), Worcester (h), Sale(h), Exeter (a), Welsh (h), Tigers (a)

Sale - Quins(h), Tigers (a), Bath (h), Irish (a), Gloucester (h) , Sainst (a), Wasps (h)

These 4 away fixtures in a row for Welsh could be a real problem. With 3 home matches in this period, Irish will be looking to take an advantage. Sales's run in is not easy, but they will hope they can pick up some points against weakened Quins and tigers teams in the next two rounds.

It looks like going to the wire - and hey Worcester could get pulle dinto the fight as well.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

Ospreydragon wrote:Rugby Fan, I wasn't questioning his MOM award
Sorry, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:40 pm

doctor_grey wrote:So the end of the season is going to be very tight for Welsh, Irish, and Sale. All three teams have the same number of wins and losses, only bonus points are the difference.

Great to see the old girl in the mix...! They have done well. Lyn Jones aim was for seven victories to guaranty staying up, still have a few to go but they have proved they have a good bit of dog about them and have earned the respect of their peers. Every week their opposition coach emphasises what a good team they are. The amount of losing bonus points is keeping them in the hunt.

Good on old Henson to get MOM, doing things right.

Lets hope they stay up.. should be and exciting finish to the Premiership season at this end of the table.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 17 Feb 2013, 7:57 pm

This spells the end for 'London' 'Welsh' in the Premiership.

They gave it a better go than most thought but I doubt they'll get a win before the end of the season now.

It'll probably end up in court anyway.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 17 Feb 2013, 8:00 pm

They'll probably contest the parachute payments formulus Cyril!

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:15 pm

If they didn't have a case they wouldn't have won the right to promotion.
It's how the law works.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:This spells the end for 'London' 'Welsh' in the Premiership.

They gave it a better go than most thought but I doubt they'll get a win before the end of the season now.

You and HERSH are either the same person or separated at birth.

You could be nottins?

You definitely wind the Welsh up less than you used to!

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:26 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:This spells the end for 'London' 'Welsh' in the Premiership.

You could be nottins?

I know he's kind of trolling but TBF he's probably right. That is an extremely tough run in for LW. They would be doing well to win one of those games.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:35 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:If they didn't have a case they wouldn't have won the right to promotion.
It's how the law works.

If the RFU/PRL had a leg to stand on I'm pretty sure they would have contested the Oxford promotion.

But as the aforementioned complainants are legless and skating round in random circles using their worn-out bollix as roller-skates, they found the simplest way out was just to capitulate.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:31 pm

Sale have got the hardest run in out of all of the bottom 4 clubs, they have found some form but the schedule is not going to make things easy for them

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:36 am

Just finished watching it.

Gav was classy, some lovely passing, tackles, and ambitious yet backed up goal kicking. What we need from him as a club and what Wales desperately need from their 10s.

Very good match, the change really came about with the arrival of Eiffon in the front row, he sured up Sale and put a halt to the Welsh pack's set piece dominance. However in the build up to the match winning kick was very lucky to not have himself be penalised for popping up losing binding.

Very dodgy calls from the ref at scrum time.

Cips wasn't awful

Nick Scott butchered that try at the end.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:38 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
t1000advancedprototype wrote:

You could be nottins?

I know he's kind of trolling but TBF he's probably right. That is an extremely tough run in for LW. They would be doing well to win one of those games.

Can imagine definite targeting of Bath, LI, and Worcester. Exeter could also be a scalp on the cards.

I feel tired of saying this but LW aren't a team to write off easily.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:46 am

The next 4 matches are the big problem for Welsh. All are away from home and 3 of them still in the mix (Bath only just) for play-off spots.

No we should not write them off, and right now there are still two teams below them - but they need to find the winning habit again pretty quickly.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 18 Feb 2013, 8:06 am

Thanks for the end of season schedule, London Tiger.
The way they play, I am sure Welsh will go out agasinst the next 5 teams hard, the fifth being Saints at Oxford, but a win against any of the 5 will be pretty big upsets. Since they end away at London Irish and home to Worcester, those two matches might decide their fate.

Sale don't have it easy either. But at least they are stringing wins together now. In a situation like this, I would rather be picking it up down the stretch.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 18 Feb 2013, 8:23 am

Sale
Fri 22 Sale Sharks v Harlequins, Salford City Stadium
March 2013
Sat 2 Leicester Tigers v Sale Sharks, Welford Road, Leicester
Fri 22 Sale Sharks v Bath Rugby, Salford City Stadium
Sun 31 London Irish v Sale Sharks, Madejski Stadium
April 2013
Fri 12 Sale Sharks v Gloucester Rugby, Salford City Stadium
Sat 20 Northampton Saints v Sale Sharks, Franklin's Gardens
May 2013
Sat 4 Sale Sharks v London Wasps, Salford City Stadium

Welsh
Sat 23 Exeter Chiefs v London Welsh, Sandy Park
March 2013
Sun 3 Saracens v London Welsh, Copthall Stadium
Sat 23 Gloucester Rugby v London Welsh, Kingsholm
Sat 30 Bath Rugby v London Welsh, Recreation Ground
April 2013
Sun 14 London Welsh v Northampton Saints, Kassam Stadium
Sat 20 London Irish v London Welsh, Madejski Stadium, Reading
May 2013
Sat 4 London Welsh v Worcester Warriors, Kassam Stadium

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:21 am

4 away games in a row?! Thats pretty tough scheduling.
Exeter aren't in great form though, so Welsh must be looking for a point at least from there.

For Sale and London Irish, there are tough games too, Quins and Leicester in consecutive weeks isnt exactly easy. That game between Irish and Sale could be very significant.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Feb 2013, 1:36 pm

For me it's going to come down to how many LBPs those sides can pick up in the tough fixtures.

If Sale can get anything from the next two fixtures it'll be a huge bonus, likewise LW. Staying in touch in these games will make the difference.

I personally think it'll be either Sale or LW going down. I think London Irish will beat London Welsh in the penultimate fixture ultimately making them safe.

I just can't see LW getting anything from Exeter or Saracens away, nor anything from the Rec, where Bath are playing well. There may be a LBP at Glaws but again, highly unlikely.

I think London Irish will beat Worcester at home, and I think a desperate Sale will beat London Irish the following week, putting

The Irish vs Sale game is the key for Sale. If they can get 4 points from that then I think they'll finish above London Welsh. That would leave LW bottom with three to play, including an away game at London Irish which I think they'll lose.

Having Worcester at home on the last day could be a lifeline, but if Worcester are still in any danger then that'll be hugely tough.

I think 5 points could end up separating the bottom 4 sides.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down