The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Partisan Fans ever comment on the Ref?

+4
Barney McGrew did it
Biltong
doctor_grey
LondonTiger
8 posters

Go down

Should Partisan Fans ever comment on the Ref? Empty Should Partisan Fans ever comment on the Ref?

Post by LondonTiger Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:22

Watched the game today surrounded by England fans who apoplectic with Alain Rolland, convinced he was only interested in penalising players in white. Numerous screams of "Oh ffs, he let them do that" etc.

Come on here and the Scottish perspective is that he was blinkered the other way. Personally I feel that as partisan fans we only notice when the ref makes what we deem a blunder against us, and never notice the times when he favoured us.

So as an England fan I shall not comment on Rolland. However I felt Poite was decent and fair. Sure he missed some things, but he does not have repeat viewings, elevated angle or slo-mo to help.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Should Partisan Fans ever comment on the Ref? Empty Re: Should Partisan Fans ever comment on the Ref?

Post by doctor_grey Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:27

I have no complaints with either referee. Thought both were pretty good. And certainly, I din't think either was remotely slanted.

We all complain about the referees. Its part of being a fan. We started complaining about referees at junior levels when we were playing. We continued complaining about the referees when were playing in adult sides. As fans, we bring that with us. As a good example, I have never been offside in my life. Some referees, the blind, deaf, and dumb ones, disagree. Obviously stupid and slanted people.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Should Partisan Fans ever comment on the Ref? Empty Re: Should Partisan Fans ever comment on the Ref?

Post by Biltong Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:28

I wasn't really listening, but Nick Mallet and Brendan Venter were in studio guests and during halftime and post match they weren't very impressed with Rollaind's performance.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:31

You're 'avin' a turkish. If you can't blame the ref when your side loses it takes all the fun out of the game. You'll be sticking up for the coach next.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:39

Well, it wasn't Bryce Lawrence. Whistle

OK, just kidding.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:39

Barney McGrew did it wrote:You're 'avin' a turkish. If you can't blame the ref when your side loses it takes all the fun out of the game. You'll be sticking up for the coach next.

Well Howley has a blinder. Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:41

Evening LT, how's your daughter doing?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:43

Biltong wrote:Evening LT, how's your daughter doing?

Good thanks. She came out of hospital last weekend, and we spent all day Sunday making Tudor clothes for a barbie doll (School history Project)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 21:45

Excellent news, happy she's improving. Must have been tough on the family.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 10:01

Is it bad that I don't mind blaming the ref for anything, but when someone else does it I feel the need to stick up for the ref and disagree with them? Whistle

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 10:15

I have only two words to say on this subject: WAYNE BARNES!! steam

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 11:28

I'm afraid that it's absolutely valid to criticise refereeing for the simple fact that some of their decisions are pivotal in determining who wins the game and as they are humans, they make mistakes.

The best thing that can be said about Rolland was that nothing he did would have changed who won the match yesterday. However, he did miss two fairly clear forward passes in the run up to two England tries (the 10 Welsh people I was watching the game with were outraged at both of them) and so I feel able to comment upon that, from my own tiny centre of consciousness.

However, I do think back to Wales beating Ireland 19-13 two years ago where Matthew Rees took a quick line-out illegally with a different ball which led directly to the winning try. One of the three on-field officials at least should have noticed that but none of them did. These decisions genuinely can and do cost teams matches.

And I'm not even going to go there on the issue of mixed sanctions for tip tackles and spears.

It's a difficult job for referees, to be sure, but that's what they signed up to.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 12:10

I just feel that most fans are far too one eyed in their criticism to ever make their complaints valid.

People I was with were livid that Rolland was unable to spot Gray manhandling Parling in the air on pretty much every line-out, yet had no issues with the pass from Youngs to 36 being marginally forward. At the end of the game they wanted Rolland to be given a blue shirt they felt he was so biased.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 12:16

George Carlin wrote:The best thing that can be said about Rolland was that nothing he did would have changed who won the match yesterday. However, he did miss two fairly clear forward passes in the run up to two England tries (the 10 Welsh people I was watching the game with were outraged at both of them) and so I feel able to comment upon that, from my own tiny centre of consciousness.
Welsh Fans Outraged at England Tries Shocker! Wink

Seriously though, it's tough on the refs but they should be open to criticism, though hopefully in a measured way that takes into account how much is going on and the fact that our own side gets away with things too.

I thought the refs were both ok. Two good games and quite flowing, though with quite a few mistakes by the players. England knocked-on far too much for my liking, but I guess that's part of playing a more expansive game.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 3 Feb 2013 - 12:24

LondonTiger wrote:I just feel that most fans are far too one eyed in their criticism to ever make their complaints valid.

People I was with were livid that Rolland was unable to spot Gray manhandling Parling in the air on pretty much every line-out, yet had no issues with the pass from Youngs to 36 being marginally forward. At the end of the game they wanted Rolland to be given a blue shirt they felt he was so biased.
Tiger - I think that fans can be more measured that you think. Inevitably, whilst I understand your point about Gray, I think that's quite a substantial exaggeration but the real issue is not this kind of thing - it's the 'quick line out with the wrong ball' problems.

That's not a matter of interpreting open play - it's simply not applying the rules correctly. Frequently it's the same with refereeing scrums. It's the problem between the letter of the law and referees interpretation of it. The law doesn't actually say you can feed the ball directly to your own second row but common practice is now that this is exactly what happens.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down