The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal's congenital foot problem

+3
bogbrush
Haddie-nuff
JuliusHMarx
7 posters

Go down

Nadal's congenital foot problem Empty Nadal's congenital foot problem

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

Pretty sure I never got an answer when I asked this before.

When was it first publicly announced that Rafa has a congenital foot defect?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Nadal's congenital foot problem Empty Re: Nadal's congenital foot problem

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Pretty sure I never got an answer when I asked this before.

When was it first publicly announced that Rafa has a congenital foot defect?

Cant be absolutely sure but I think it was 2005 Ill try and check it out

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:58 pm

I'm going to sit back and enjoy this thread.....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:59 pm

http://www.columbusfoot.com/blog/post/nadals-rare-foot-problem-almost-lead-to-golf-career.html

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:59 pm

It was mentioned a long time ago, perhaps even before Nadal won his first slam. I guess it's being brought up now to show that this was the true culprit of his injuries and not his revolutionary game. What I don't get is that if he always had this problem, why didn't he develop a more delicate game and not the most physical one to date.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:00 pm

bogbrush wrote:I'm going to sit back and enjoy this thread.....

Says much about you BB.. Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:00 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I'm going to sit back and enjoy this thread.....

Says much about you BB.. Shocked
Absolutely. I love the spectator sport.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:03 pm

H-N that link indicates that it was first made public in Rafa's book - is that correct?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

It was in his book but I heard of it before then. I know that Rafa had some time out of the sport when he had problems with it when younger.. whether it was hushed up or made public then I do not know. But I certainly knew of it before the book came out.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

I have found a number of references to say it was first diagnosed in 2005 - all of which refer back to his book as the source - but not found one that announces it publicly before his book.

I found this on Nadalnews.com from Aug 2011 "Nadal was diagnosed with a rare congenital foot condition at the end of 2005. A bone in his foot, called the tarsal scaphoid, started to deform, causing intense pain. A doctor told him he might never play again."

It seems to have become big news when his book was published, but not publicly announced before then.

It is only in his left foot, from what I can see.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

I'd like to know more about the details of this condition. Congenital problems don't usually present so late in life. It is also sounds very unusual to have an isolated congenital deformity affecting just one bone in the foot. Of course almost anything is possible in medicine but that sounds very unusual.

Earlier references to his foot injury indicate a stress fracture as the root cause - very understandable given the way he plays the game.

ghost

emancipator

Last edited by emancipator on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

He is required to wear innersole(s) to prevent the foot from moving within the shoe. Note that the first thing he does when leaving the court is to loosen the shoe laces.

It was definitely something that was discussed on the Nadal thread on the old 606... (Which Im sure BB or Mac read avidly.. knowing how much he loves spectator sports Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:33 pm

emancipator wrote:I'd like to know more about the details of this condition. Congenital problems don't present so late in life. It is also sounds very unusual to have an isolated congenital deformity affecting just one bone in the foot. Of course almost anything is possible in medicine but that sounds very unusual.

Earlier references to his foot injury indicate a stress fracture as the root cause - very understandable given the way he plays the game.

ghost

emancipator

Em Im not sure it actually developed later in life.. it was only DISCOVERED then. However I think your analysis is probably correct anyway.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm

Given the number of articles that appeared about it on the internet after the book was published, it must have been news at that point - which it wouldn't have been if it had been known previously.

It seems fairly safe to conclude, I think, that the book is the first time it was made public. I can't find any reference to it from before that time.

There are articles from 2004 detailing a stress fracture to the left foot, which would be a different injury, I suspect, as the book states that the diagnosis of a congential defect was made in 2005 (and then kept private until 2011).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:50 pm

Well its hypothetical.. wont argue the point.. there are a few of his fans that would though (dont forget Uncle T has rather a large mouth on him ) But in the larger scheme of things does it matter ??

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:05 pm

No, probably not.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

JuliousHMarx

I knew about the foot problem way before the book. Can't remember where I heard but was aware he had special shoes to try and deal with it. It was probably discussed more after the book. I was aware also about him thinking he may have to give up tennis or even being told he would have to give up tennis. I presume that's the same as what came out in the book?

What a shame that someone who is one of the best players ever was born with dodgy feet..

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:58 pm

Well there still appears to be significant doubt that this problem is congenital, and certainly no definitive references within the public domain (other than those directly linked to his book, published relatively recently) have been produced which would show beyond all doubt that it is.

However if one accepts that he was indeed "born with dodgy feet" I do think it's worth keeping all this in some sort of wider perspective.

Rafa Nadal is a multi-Slam winning and hugely talented tennis player, a tremendous athlete who has been able to reach the very summit of one of the most demanding sports, and in so doing has amassed a multi-million dollar fortune whilst enjoying recognition and respect on a truly global scale.

Contrast this to the many people who are born with a serious physical abnormality of one sort or another, and very often of a degree which hampers them throughout life, sometimes preventing them from pursuing even the most everyday activities, leisure pursuits - or even an 'ordinary' working career ; let alone one rewarded so handsomely as an elite professional sportsman.

Just a thought ........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 28 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Absolutely lags I totally agree.. and when you read Rafa´s account of the discovery he was of course devastated.. and considered changing his career to Golf. Lucky for me (and many millions more of his fans) he decided to stay with it. Yes of course doubtless it has had an affect on his knees, he knew this when he decided to continue, and still does realise the penalty he has paid and probably will continue to do so throughout his career. He is the first to admit that he has made a handsome living out of something he so loves to do. I dont think it is now a question of money but something he feels he has to prove to himself and to his fans. I do so hope he can come through it... and even if he cannot reach the dizzy heights he once achieved I for one will be so thrilled to see him play again.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:49 am

It seems to be a genuine concern to him even now. I remember watching Nadal during an MTO last year, I think, and when the trainer was having a look at his taped foot and playing around with it, there was a real fear in Rafa's face. It must be psychologically difficult to deal with, though I'm sure he has huge assurances from medical personnel and the like in order for him to trust the foot as he does - it certainly doesn't seem to have compromised his willingness to run down every ball, at any rate. Hopefully he'll return in full fettle very soon.

break_in_the_fifth wrote:It was mentioned a long time ago, perhaps even before Nadal won his first slam. I guess it's being brought up now to show that this was the true culprit of his injuries and not his revolutionary game. What I don't get is that if he always had this problem, why didn't he develop a more delicate game and not the most physical one to date.

Please tell me that's deliberate, Bit5! notworthy

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:17 am

It is interesting to note that many commentators/journalists were frequently saying that Rafa's knees wouldn't last due to the nature of his game. Yet they never mentioned a foot problem or corrective shoes, so were presumably unaware of it and basing their judgement solely (pun not intended) on his style of play.
Yet when his knees did become a serious problem, only then did the congenital foot problem get revealed as the underlying cause. Presumably, it's only one corrective shoe, as it only affects one foot.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:10 am

I think you will find he wears innersoles in both .. otherwise there would be a balance problem.. one only may be made for corrective purposes the other a "dummy" so to speak I do not know. However, though now I wish I had kept it, they did a video of Rafa preparing for his game in the dressing room and it showed him inserting the innersoles in his shoes. It has also been said that he wears his tennis shoes a half size smaller again in order that his feet do not move within the shoe itself. All of this of course MUST have had an affect on his knees. Ive had four ops on one foot.. and in the process have had trouble with posture and my spine so one thing leads to the other !!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:30 am

I dont know whether you will get this U Tube Video.. sometimes the ones I post dont open for you in UK but Google it if not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NIGcNrDxFw

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:38 am

I think it's fair to say that the commentators who were evaluating the negative effects Rafa's game was having on his knees were unaware of any on-going foot issues that might also be contributing - after all, no-one ever mentioned it until 2011, after Rafa's book came out. I cannot find any reference to it as a congenital on-going problem before that point.

Up to that point it was simply an injury that had healed - as per the comments from Rafa's doctor here :-
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2006/Injured-Nadal-Will-Miss-Australian-Open/id-df17aebf5930473f0e0f2cbcbe4bc5cf

According to this there was no problem before the end of 2005 :-
http://www.nadalnews.com/2011/08/27/mind-games-is-nadal-ready-for-the-open/

Covering up injures is common practice in sports - don't want to show opponents any sign of weakness - but it is nevertheless interesting how commentators were saying Rafa's game would cause him injuries and were not surprised his knees were an issue - and at the same time were unaware of his foot problem.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down