The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Press Now Throw Mud At Novak

+9
R!skysports
User 774433
LuvSports!
Josiah Maiestas
CaledonianCraig
barrystar
bogbrush
socal1976
hawkeye
13 posters

Go down

British Press Now Throw Mud At Novak Empty British Press Now Throw Mud At Novak

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:53 am

Not content with trying to blacken Federer's name they have now set their sights on Novak.

In an article on doping without any evidence Djokovic is used as an example. It is illustrated with a picture of Djokovic. Neil Harmon from the Times (PPV but always worth it)

Consider this hypothetical sketch. After a four-hour match at the Australian Open, in the searing heat of the day, the winner returns to his hotel room and is infused with blood, boosting his red-cell count.

He then takes HGH (human growth hormone) to repair micro-tears in his muscles and returns to the court 48 hours later in a fitter state than he was at the start of the previous round, runs around and wins again. What could tennis do about it? As things stand, the answer is nothing.

At present, there is no proviso for blood-testing winners and a loser’s sample will not be specifically tested for blood-doping unless the authorities request it [which they do not]. They will not say how many tests they do for HGH, [which may mean none]. Any doper is home and dry. The problem with tennis is not whether it has a cheating culture or not but that if it does, unless there is a dramatic shift in approach, we will never know about it.

The sport has moved into realms of dynamism, physicality and athleticism that could never have been imagined ten years ago and yet the anti-doping programme, the responsibility of the ITF in the manner approved by Wada, the World Anti-Doping Agency, has not kept up with the times. When Novak Djokovic, the world No 1, said here that he had had one blood test in seven months and in the next breath felt the doping regime was sound, it was a shocking mixed message.

Djokovic was quite astonishing last night, defeating David Ferrer, the world No 4, 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 in the first semi-final and saying that he is playing the best tennis of his career. “Tonight I just played an incredible match. I don’t expect this,” he said. Only four days ago, he was taken to the brink in 5hr 2min by Stanislas Wawrinka, of Switzerland, and won 12-10 in the fifth set. In the next two matches, played in the space of 48 hours, he defeated Tomas Berdych, the world No 5, for the loss of 12 games, and the No 4, dropping five.

He is playing like a super-human and knows that people are questioning quite how he delivers time after time. He deserves the right for the sport to declare him — indeed everyone — unequivocally clean.

Quite rightly many have been angry at this implied slur on Djokovic as these "tweets" show

Joa. the picture on your article is precisely Novak, no other player, but Novak...

Emilija. Than you all should apologise to Nole, publicly

Life is Art How. convenient....!!! So you do not even revuew your article before gets published....shame..shame...shame

Joe. then I think that the timing and the pic chosen aren't helping you a lot... :-/ it doesn't look good... at all...

Mirjana . you don't have any say in mentioning for like a 10 times Novak & his ''mixed mesage'', right?!

Life is Art. Sir, your "sport department" hurt millions of fans of Novak all around the world, we demand apology NOW !!!!!

Ashlea. Spreading lies to make your favorite look good. You're a disgraceful human being who I have no respect for whatsoever.

https://twitter.com/neilharmantimes

What is so shocking is the timing of this and that it comes after all the nasty stuff about Federer. No doubt once Rafa is back he will be next...

Last edited by hawkeye on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

British Press Now Throw Mud At Novak Empty Re: British Press Now Throw Mud At Novak

Post by socal1976 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:03 am

Yes, I agree Hawkeye nasty to use Djokovic as the example almost like they are suggesting that is the secret to his recuperative powers. Good article. Funny Djokovic was the guy asking to be tested more. Oh well, cest la vie as our french friends say. I doubt many of the tennis journalists have ever even played tennis more than a few times.

Last edited by socal1976 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

British Press Now Throw Mud At Novak Empty Re: British Press Now Throw Mud At Novak

Post by socal1976 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:04 am

Why does the sport have to declare him specifically clean? Just a very poorly worded innuendo in my opinion. Why don't they have to declare anyone else but Novak clean, why use his name only?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:26 am

socal1976. The British press have also been attacking Federer. You should look at the bigger picture. When it comes to the press the British could beat the Swiss, the Serbs plus the Spanish. Federer, Djokovic and Nadal will be in trouble if it decides to attack them. And it is important.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:44 am

I took out the line about Andy or Roger, from my original response because frankly this is not about any of the players Hawkeye. This guy is an idiot, and frankly if I was Novak I would look seriously at retaining an attorney. Because while he doesn't claim Djoko is doping, he pretty much comes right up to accusing him with no evidence. Harman should be fired, and Novak should sue them even if he can't win because he was very slimey in his innuendo.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 am

Harman is a Murray fanatic. This is not news.

If Harman was a proper journalist and he had suspicions he'd investigate, but he's just a headline writer.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:05 am

The point being made by Harman is 100% sound, but I'd prefer to see a more balanced target, it's tough to concentrate on Djoko in that fashion.

However, the ATP/ITF deserve many more articles like this questioning their prize assets until they act: (a) the physicality of the current game means that there are are good reasons for all the top players to dope; (b) you don't have to look too hard for examples of recovery from all of them which may be explained by drug use - Djoko's turnaround from the Wawrinka match is merely the most recent; (c) neither the ITF nor the ATP are doing enough to dispel legitimate skepticism; (d) the rule now is that there is no room for complacency about cheating in any sport by any sportsman, whatever their denials and back-story.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 am

Look, I have my doubts about this attritional play. However it's wrong to write (i) speculatively, and (ii) biased.

The man should do some proper investigative journalism and blow a lid off, if its true. And be prepared to declare the truth wherever it is found. Harman is a cheerleader, like the BBC idiots like Newbery, not a serious journalist.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 am

bogbrush wrote:Harman is a Murray fanatic. This is not news.

If Harman was a proper journalist and he had suspicions he'd investigate, but he's just a headline writer.

Fully agree BB.

clap
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am

bogbrush wrote:Look, I have my doubts about this attritional play. However it's wrong to write (i) speculatively, and (ii) biased.

The man should do some proper investigative journalism and blow a lid off, if its true. And be prepared to declare the truth wherever it is found. Harman is a cheerleader, like the BBC idiots like Newbery, not a serious journalist.

Much, not all, of this is surprisingly naive stuff from a normally sanguine poster - I agree that the biased approach is unfair and I don't like it, but the sport of tennis is fair game right now for writing of this sort. If they want to stop this sort of stuff they can introduce a proper testing regime, but they don't want to - why?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am

I have huge doubts about Novak's play but at the same time he was always a prodigious talent even in the juniors so it's not like he's had a massive jump in fortune compared to say Tipsarevic...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am

barrystar wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Look, I have my doubts about this attritional play. However it's wrong to write (i) speculatively, and (ii) biased.

Much, not all, of this is surprisingly naive stuff from a normally sanguine poster - I agree that the biased approach is unfair and I don't like it, but the sport of tennis is fair game right now for writing of this sort. If they want to stop this sort of stuff they can introduce a proper testing regime, but they don't want to - why?
Why is it naive to call for a journalist to do journalism rather than write piffle?

I can get better than Harmans standard on any half-@rsed blog. I want someone to do the hard work and actually prove misbehaviour.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:29 am

would my stuff constitute as a half @rsed blog bb? Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 am

bogbrush wrote:
barrystar wrote:

Why is it naive to call for a journalist to do journalism rather than write piffle?

I can get better than Harmans standard on any half-@rsed blog. I want someone to do the hard work and actually prove misbehaviour.

It's not piffle - I agree that it's not as good as getting in there and proving wrong-doing if it exists. That must be the ultimate aim of a journalist; but it would be wrong for journalists not to illustrate the complacency of the ATP/ITF by pointing out that if their leading assets are cheating they are going to be the last to find out.

You seem to be saying that there's no room for questioning such things without proof - something that is notoriously difficult to find, not least because organisations in the game that should be seeking out the truth are acting as if conflicted.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:45 am

LuvSports! wrote:would my stuff constitute as a half @rsed blog bb? Very Happy
Absolutely! Top class half-@rsed stuff, I might add! Wink
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:46 am

Barry, what's the difference between a Harman article and a dodgy post on 606v2?

Answer: we have Julius to delete groundless innuendo.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:51 am

bogbrush wrote:Barry, what's the difference between a Harman article and a dodgy post on 606v2?

I agree that on the face of it Harman is saying something that we can all say, but there are two points:

a. The fact that we can all say it does not mean that it does not merit saying, and saying again and again and again - the ruling bodies clearly don't want to do move and pressure is needed

b. Harman is clearly closer to what is going on in tennis than we are - assuming he is a responsible journalist, what he is saying may well reflect what people in and close to the professional game are saying and thinking albeit given the sensitivity it's difficult to name sources and so-on.

The reaction to the article will be interesting - I think that the knee-jerk responses on here are part of the problem tennis is facing, there is no room for complacency.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:51 am

haha cheers buddy!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 am

I wouldn't describe your reaction as knee-jerk.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:08 am

ive got 2 more half @rsed blogs coming out soon!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 am

excellent post BB. Could not agree more.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 am

I read in the evening standard yesterday a very similar article, targeting Djokovic.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 am

LuvSports! wrote:ive got 2 more half @rsed blogs coming out soon!
I've half a mind to read them. I'm told that's more than adequate.

Wink thumbsup
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 am

Hug stay tuned

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 am

What another non story. I assume this is murrays fault too?

Djoke mentioned in an interview that he had not been tested (in reference to the cycling) for a while, so the article references this says that it is right that they say the governing body needs to be clear and ensure that they test to make sure no one can claim anything

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 pm

my take on da final

http://richard-mills-sports.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-snore-fest-of-2013-australian-open.html

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:23 pm

LuvSports! wrote:my take on da final

http://richard-mills-sports.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-snore-fest-of-2013-australian-open.html
A full-@arsed masterpiece. clap
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:26 pm

hahaaaa cheers.
watdid u tink of it?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:38 pm

bogbrush wrote:Barry, what's the difference between a Harman article and a dodgy post on 606v2?

Ha ha! But it is way more different than that. For a start lot's of people read Harman's articles. What he says can be highly influential. Sadly most people who follow tennis will only dip in and not really follow it closely. Read something here and something there and form views. Djokovic now in many peoples minds will be linked with doping despite lack of any evidence.

Also Federer now (to many) is a rude player who swears at Murray for no reason.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 pm

First let me say I think the article quoted is very poor and unfair on Djokovic.

However I find it strange that when Neil Harman was quoted by the same OP last year on an arcticle critising Murray and I questioned the context of the article I was told that he was a most respected tennis correspondent (not just by her). Looks like times have changed for him.

Last edited by Calder106 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed one incorrect word)

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Calder106 wrote:First let me say I think the article quoted is very poor and unfair on Djokovic.

However I find it strange that when Neil Harman was quoted by the same OP that year on an arcticle critising Murray and I questioned the context of the article I was told that he was a most respected tennis correspondent (not just by her). Looks like times have changed for him.
https://www.606v2.com/t39889-breaking-news-someone-in-the-media-says-something-bad-about-murray

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:19 pm

I would say the chances of Novak being clean are somewhere between 10%-20%, so in my opinion, he's the second most perfect person to use as an example of someone that needs to be tested in order to confirm that tennis is a 'clean' sport.

It's not that wise to write the article like he did though, because as this thread and the twitter reaction proves, a lot of tennis fans are hysterical obsessives who lose all semblance of reason and sense when the focus of their craziness gets criticised even in the smallest way.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 pm

In what way does this thread prove that a lot of tennis fans, or even posters here are 'hysterical obsessives' etc etc.
Does your post prove that a lot of people who believe tennis is not clean have to resort to excessive hyperbole and groundless judgments on other tennis fans?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Alright, you got me.

No hysterical obsessiveness on this forum that I've ever seen.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:06 pm

djlovesyou.

No it wasn't right that Harman wrote such an article. But I'm not sure what you mean by "wise" because I find it difficult to believe he didn't know exactly what he was doing. He probably believed he was being quite clever. Also I like that he was rightly called out about it by fans. It shows that the public isn't always as easily lead as some journalists would like us to be. So well done to them. I believe from following his twitter account they gave him a hard time forcing him to be defensive.

Also I've no idea where you have gained your evidence about the chances of Novak not being clean (or for that matter whoever you think has less chance of being clean than him). But I do wonder where exactly you could have gained such knowledge. Or are you just throwing guilt around in exactly the same way as Harman? ie where it suits.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Personally I'm glad Harman has overstepped the mark and been done over for it. Truth is, he writes baseless opinionated rubbish every article, it's just that most of the time he's playing to the gallery and gets applauded for it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Why wouldn't he dope though? Besides it being a bit naughty - there are no other reasons for him not to do it.

The public are easily led though - this ridiculous facade that tennis is a clean sport just because hardly anyone ever gets caught. It's good journos are at least trying to point out that no failed drug tests = clean sport is absolute nonsense.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Why wouldn't he dope though? Besides it being a bit naughty - there are no other reasons for him not to do it.

By that token why wouldn't every player do it?
And if you assume some don't do it, then their reasons for not doing apply as much to Djoko as anyone else.

djlovesyou wrote:The public are easily led though - this ridiculous facade that tennis is a clean sport just because hardly anyone ever gets caught. It's good journos are at least trying to point out that no failed drug tests = clean sport is absolute nonsense.

True - but if he'd pointed it out in a more sensible manner, he might have got more of the public on his side and thus there would be more chance the authorities would take note. So he's wasted a good opportunity with poor journalism.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

By that token why wouldn't every player do it?
And if you assume some don't do it, then their reasons for not doing apply as much to Djoko as anyone else.

I think a reasonable number do it. So it's not a huge stretch to think that the best player is doing it, particularly as recovery and attrition are two of the major reasons for him being the best.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes, I agree Hawkeye nasty to use Djokovic as the example almost like they are suggesting that is the secret to his recuperative powers. Good article. Funny Djokovic was the guy asking to be tested more. Oh well, cest la vie as our french friends say. I doubt many of the tennis journalists have ever even played tennis more than a few times.

Actually I thought Djoko looked knackered by the 4th set as well, its pity Murray was more cooked and couldn't take advantage of it. I don't see anything suspicious on the given match by the performance of the two as both were below par their best.

On the other hand yes Tennis needs to come clean and more aggressive approach be adopted to maker sure Tennis remains clean if its already the case. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Btw Good article HE, I would have been surprised had I not seen an article from you after the finals notworthy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:57 pm

In contrast what Beeb do? shunt the public opinion by closing the 606 [rather than the article] and let the expert with their usual gibberish.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yes, I agree Hawkeye nasty to use Djokovic as the example almost like they are suggesting that is the secret to his recuperative powers. Good article. Funny Djokovic was the guy asking to be tested more. Oh well, cest la vie as our french friends say. I doubt many of the tennis journalists have ever even played tennis more than a few times.

Actually I thought Djoko looked knackered by the 4th set as well, its pity Murray was more cooked and couldn't take advantage of it. I don't see anything suspicious on the given match by the performance of the two as both were below par their best.

On the other hand yes Tennis needs to come clean and more aggressive approach be adopted to maker sure Tennis remains clean if its already the case. thumbsup

Thanks IC, tennis is the same boat as other sports they all should either do a better job of policing the doping or they should stop caring and give up the charade, one or the other their middle position on the issue leaves everyone peed off.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down