The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frank Bruno - Wouldn't he beat Fury/Price and Haye ???

+7
milkyboy
Lance
Imperial Ghosty
hogey
ONETWOFOREVER
captain carrantuohil
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

Frank Bruno - Wouldn't he beat Fury/Price and Haye ??? Empty Frank Bruno - Wouldn't he beat Fury/Price and Haye ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

Remember the way Bruno controlled the early rounds against Lewis.......Whilst I demean Bruno often... everything is relative!!!

and for me watching the old Frank's quality jab, heavy hands and his intimidating presence i just see him wiping the floor with Fury and Price. For me they are too one dimensional..Frank would take the centre of the ring and once the right hand landed.....

Not sure either has the nous to stay away early until Frank gasses....Fury would be a rerun of Bruno-Eklund...........Price way too stand up!!...

Haye is the hard one...he could stay away but would he stay away forever...we saw how Klitsy intimidated him and big Frank was much more intimidating with that physique and power......

I'd give Frank a great chance against the Klits early!!!!

Bruno was a robot but nobody outboxed him.....

Two of the three boys wouldn't survive the onslaught and the other one probably wouldn't engage..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Frank Bruno - Wouldn't he beat Fury/Price and Haye ??? Empty Re: Frank Bruno - Wouldn't he beat Fury/Price and Haye ???

Post by Guest Thu 10 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Fury and Price may just have enough height and reach to make it awkward for Frank. I think Price fights better on the inside than either of them and utilises a very nice short uppercut. If Frank moves into range I think Price could catch him with a sneaky shot and is heavy handed enough to cause Frank a few worries. Not sure Fury's technique allows him to hit as hard as a guy his size should and I think Frank might get to him.

However, Bruno's big flaw was his chin and whilst Haye would be right to be cautious, there's no way Bruno lives with the speed and reflexes of Haye. Haye also knows Bruno's weakness is his chin and is likely to try and buzz him in the early rounds knowing Bruno is nowhere near quick enough to catch him on the counter. IF Bruno gets tagged, he goes into puppet-with-strings-cut mode and Haye wipes the floor with him.

Wlad caught Haye flush a fair few times but never once looked like taking him out. I think Haye slips and rides punches just enough to take the sting out of them. Eventually Frank tires and Hayes steps it up...

By the way, that assessment is for the Haye-haters who can now go to town on me for being a pathetic "fan boy"

Back to top Go down

Frank Bruno - Wouldn't he beat Fury/Price and Haye ??? Empty Re: Frank Bruno - Wouldn't he beat Fury/Price and Haye ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 5:35 pm

Price would be fighting on the foot back and Fury is way to open........

I'm sure If price got inside he's be clubbed round the head with rabbit punches to dissuade him doing it too often...

Frank's jab is the main weapon here and his intimidating presence (At Brit level)

Haye may land the Hayemaker...but he's bottled it once and Bruno had a great ko percentage.....

Interesting opinion though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 10 Jan 2013, 5:52 pm

Frank had a damn good jab and if he boxed behind it, I could see him giving all three the most severe examination. Not sure that Fury has shown that he hits hard enough to work the oracle on Bruno, whose main failing was stamina (plus an inability to hold effectively until his head cleared), rather than his chin, in my opinion. Price has that right hand, which, if it landed on Bruno flush, could easily do the job. I would suggest, though, that Frank's own punches are more likely to get through sooner, and we don't quite know how David would take them. Against both the "youngsters" at this stage, I like Bruno via early stoppage.

Haye has to get round Bruno's jab first, which isn't far off being as effective as Wlad's. It depends whether His Royal Jungleness can bring himself to abandon the old womanly caution that he always seems to bring to fights against the really big guys. If he can, then he has a chance of winning by mid-round stoppage. If not, I think Bruno might even get him out of there within 8; Frank's certainly likely to throw more and win any decision.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 5:58 pm

You see it like me Captain........Frank had a very good jab....

Good summary..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:05 pm

He would beat Fury and Price but not Haye

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm

Perhaps the only guy who could have been said to outbox Frank was Witherspoon, who had taken control for a few rounds by the time Frank ran out of puff.

Mind you, Spoon, to me, is the one boxer of that "golden" generation of KFC-scoffing, drug-taking wasters who really could have made a lasting impact on the heavyweight division and been remembered for years to come. He had all the tools, could box prettily, do the gritty stuff and hit sharply. I've often wondered what he might have done if fit, fully focused and with no promotional troubles, he had taken on a young Tyson (say in 87, instead of Biggs). A big if, I know, but Tim knew enough to have given Mike a really nasty evening. Huge waste (and huge waist).

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:08 pm

Price might knock him out or might get sparked himself, toss up at this stage though my money would be on Bruno.
Fury would be asleep inside of 3 rounds, he has nothing that would have worried Bruno and if you didn't have the power to hurt Frank he was gonna hurt you.
Haye vs Bruno would be a good scrap, cant help thinking the strength and power of Bruno would be too much for Haye though, but that said Haye has the power to take anyone out.
I am not Bruno's biggest fan in truth, but the division at the moment is so poor i think if he was active today he may well be the dominant Heavyweight in the world.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Perhaps the only guy who could have been said to outbox Frank was Witherspoon, who had taken control for a few rounds by the time Frank ran out of puff.

Mind you, Spoon, to me, is the one boxer of that "golden" generation of KFC-scoffing, drug-taking wasters who really could have made a lasting impact on the heavyweight division and been remembered for years to come. He had all the tools, could box prettily, do the gritty stuff and hit sharply. I've often wondered what he might have done if fit, fully focused and with no promotional troubles, he had taken on a young Tyson (say in 87, instead of Biggs). A big if, I know, but Tim knew enough to have given Mike a really nasty evening. Huge waste (and huge waist).

Do you reckon he ate his KFC Withaknife and took his drugs Withaspoon????

i put him in the same bracket as Briggs who was a huge waste of talent and Bonercrusher Smith who had the tools but no passion.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:12 pm

Think Spoon was potentially much better than either, although he got zapped by Smith when his mind was far from the job in hand. Think he was also better than Tubbs, Thomas, Page and Dokes, the other leading lights of the generation of skivers.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:16 pm

Briggs was Olympic champ was'nt he?

Lost himself to drugs and mental problems followed soon after. Smith was able to take the legandary prime Tyson all the way with apparent ease. That whole heavyweight era seemed to be lost and confused imo

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

Briggs was a different era, onetwo, born a decade or more after Spoon et al. Cut from the same cloth, though.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

Witherspoon burst on the scene when he was a 13 fight novice and beat Holmes in my and a lot of other eyes!!!

A real talent who should be up there with Holy/Lewis types....

But like the equally talented Tubbs, Thomas and Page couldn't be bothered......

A lost era the early 80's.........................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm

Think he means Biggs Captain

Witherspoon could have been a serious player in the division but I have no sympathy for those who waste the talent they do have.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:34 pm

In fairness to spoon....King wasted his talent in his later years!!!

Suing King meant other less worthy types got shots at the title....

His win against the unbeaten Jorge Gonzales should have been enough at any other time to get a shot.....

Not all Tim's fault..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

i thought bruno had an excellent chin. took some massive shots from lewis and tyson before he was stopped, and many others wouldnt have been able to stand for as long as he did. if he takes hayes shots, he could walk haye down and stop him in the second half of the fight. if chisora had been able to stick around for an extra two rounds it would have gotten very interesting. haye looked exhausted

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 10 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

Agree re the spoon, the biggest waste of a bunch of wasters.. Always thought Thomas had something about him too, but like so many 80's fighters its hard to do your best work with a nose full of candy.

Bruno would beat fury. The others are harder to call, big hitters, each with their own strengths. Frank doesn't have wlad's defensive attributes so he'd ship some leather from haye, but likewise he could demoralise haye with that jab in his face. I could see haye's mobility being key, so lean to haye in that one... Price has too many unanswered questions about him for that to be far more guesswork than analysis.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 10 Jan 2013, 8:24 pm

I think its pretty easy saying Bruno beats the 2 novices as they haven't yet be able to prove that they belong at world level or around it.

Fury there is no question as he has been down and doesn't took like he has alot of power whereas Price is more of a unknown quantity as he hasn't been hit yet (or gone decent rounds) but does carry real power and has more defensive nous than fury. Bruno wasn't great (partly down to how often he gassed) but he hit shard enough to stop the 2 novices

Don't think Haye has a style to push Bruno's stamina. Haye is quick and powerful, but potshots and fights at a low tempo that will suit Bruno. Can he get past franks jab, I think so but might not be able to takes a clean shy from Frank so will be his gun shy self like Wlad. Chisora was a decent win, but as someone said Haye looked pretty tired and Chisora was out of shape, can't punch nearly as hard as Bruno and doesn't use his jab

Bruno to beat them all but price might when we reflect at the end of his career

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:02 pm

Bruno beats Fury and Price, but not Haye. Haye would be too quick and hot Frank too often. But with Frank, all it would take was one punch anywhere on the head.

Fury would be more difficult that Price because he is a mover whereas Price is a bigger version of Frank but not as skilled. Easy night for Frank to land a jab and KO Price.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:33 pm

Before you say Haye is too hot.Frank .Bruno was an imposing figure..

and Haye shed his load against Wlad!!!

Wouldn't be surprised If Haye failed to "engage"..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm

As much as I like Bruno I can safely say that I've seen Bruno shed his load in a far more convincing way than Haye ever has.

That said The experienced Bruno probably beats them all, but are we looking at a Bruno that's at the same stage in his career as each fighter or the more experienced fighter?

Bruno v Price with both guys only having 15 fights under their belts then it's whole different ball game isn't it. It could go either way, but probably in Prices favour.

You can't really compare a 15 fight, relative novice, with a Bruno that had been in with some top operators, was a world champion. Be interesting to know which Bruno is being put up against these guys.

As far as Fury is concerned I don't see him ever beating Frank, not even now. zen

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 11 Jan 2013, 12:52 am

Not a big fan of Frank as a fighter but I do believe he was underrated somewhat. Also never agreed with the weak chin assessment either as all his defeats required a succession of punches from big punchers and apart from Tyson 2 all defeats were in the 2nd half of a fight.

With the above in mind I think he would have too much for Fury and Price. Fury for me has not shown enough ability to be able to deal with Frank's solid jab, strength and crunching right hand. I think Fury would be brave and engaging for the first few rounds and then realise that he is in too deep and begin to hold a lot. Think Frank wins by decision as I think Fury does seem tough enough to be able to hang around.

Price looks the far better prospect but I wonder if he might be a "front runner" sort of fighter. As we know he has been sparked a few time as an amateur and think a fight between him and Bruno would be even until Frank lands cleanly. Price has shown power but not at world level and even the best took their full arsenal to get Frank out of there and Price would not be looking to stay around long enough to let his hands go too freely. Frank, 7th round TKO.

For me Haye vs Bruno is pretty easy to call. I can't remember Frank beating any quality fighters in their primes who had superior speed of hand and foot and for me that is where the fight would be decided. Frank's jab will be problem throughout but in return he will also be shipping heavy combos as well as missing with a lot of his own punches due to the movement of Haye. A well worn out Carl Williams still gave Frank fits before being stopped in the last round and I think Haye would do the same before taking Frank out in 9.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down