The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread

+11
majesticimperialman
aitchw
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
yappysnap
Cumbrian
B91212
Effervescing Elephant
AlastairW
Hound_of_Harrow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
15 posters

Go down

Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread Empty Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:09 pm

A big game for both teams, neither having acquitted themselves quite as they might have liked over the festive period. Exe lost out at the last to the boot of Freddie Burns and were unable to repeat last season's feat of silencing the Shed, while Saints went down at home to a strong Quins just before Christmas. In the final matches of the calendar year for both outfits, Exe maintained their undefeated at home in the AP so far this season record with a draw that actually felt like a loss so much were we in control of the game in the second half for all but the last 4 minutes when we endeavoured to shoot ourselves in the foot, while Saints lost out narrowly to Sarries.

So having both been within spitting distance of the playoff positions, Saints now find themselves in 6th position 7 points off Tigers in 3rd, while Exe are a spot lower with one point less. On top of that, we're in the middle of contract renegotiation - Saints will still be reeling from the news that Tiny and Mooj are off to France, altho there's talk of Corbisero coming in as a more than adequate replacement. Exe too have their own uncertainties around TJ and Scays, which hopefully will be resolved soon. Win this one, and either team is back in the hunt, lose and there's a bit of a gap opening up, with two weeks of Heino followed by a further two of LV= games to get thru before it can be put right again in prem action.

Hoping that we get some decent weather and the Chiefs can cement their place at the top of the AP try scoring table with a comfy win Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:36 am

Chiefs to win this one I feel. Maybe only a score in it.

Give it another season or two and Exeter will be in the play offs. They have hoovered up most of the talent in the SW with very few teams bothering to take a look at players in that area.

The best youngsters coming through Ivybridge College are also in the Chiefs' Academy. Take a check on how many of them are in the age grade sides.

(Cowboy) hats off to you Chiefs.
Wink

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread

Post by AlastairW Fri 04 Jan 2013, 8:25 am

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:They have hoovered up most of the talent in the SW with very few teams bothering to take a look at players in that area.

This. A friend of mine plays for a Cornish club up to to ND1 (for a season before the semi-pro's tonked them every game!) and he's said that a lot of the real young talent look to make the move up a county to Devon and The Chiefs as The Pirates haven't gone up to AP. The other way they can pull in a lot from the schools in Dorset, maybe into Wiltshire.

Anyways, that's off topic. I reckon this will be the AP match to watch for the weekend, both teams out to prove something, and it will be a gritty one. Interesting comments from Saints Gerrit-Jan van Velze:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20899180

Oh us rollercoaster fans! Very Happy

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:10 pm

Chiefs to face Saints:

Arscott, Camacho, Whitten, Dollman, Jess, Steenson, Thomas, Moon, Clark, Tui, Mumm, Hanks, Johnson, White, Baxter

Bench: Yeandle, Rimmer, Mitchell, Hayes, Muldowney, Barrett, Mieres, Naqelevuki

Don't know a lot about Yeandle, how about you Asbo?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

Think he'll be ok, CD, he's looked good for A team and in LV= was top 3 championship hooker last season, much like Chris W was when we picked him up. Looks like we are resting Tommy Hayes (bench), Scays and Shoey - furry muff, couple of big games coming up. Good to see Mooner get his first start and excellent to see Craig Mitchell back from injury

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

Saints team (copied & pasted from the beeb) -

Northampton: Foden; K Pisi, G Pisi, Waldouck, Elliott; Myler, Dickson; Tonga'uiha, Hartley (capt), Doran Jones, Lawes, Sorenson, Clark, Dowson, Van Velze.
Replacements: Haywood, Waller, Mercey, Manoa, Wood, Roberts, Lamb, Burrell.

Happy with the balance of the team, especially in the forwards and the bench seems okay.

Can't call this one either way, heart says Saints to just shade it as form has certainly improved over the last couple of weeks but head says Cheifs (damn hard to beat, especially at home) so the Southerners to shade it by a score. Maybe the news of the appointment of Alex King as backs coach for next year will give Saints a boost!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 05 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

Decent game so far, with my England hat on it was good to see Lawes winning so much good clean line out ball. He seems to have really come on in this area and his athleticism and handling ability is showing up well
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 05 Jan 2013, 4:47 pm

Really good game so far, Saints have played a lot more all-round rugby and actually used their backs aswell as controlling with the pack.

Exeter have looked a little lost for most of it. I think when the other top teams play to close to their best it highlights the lack of top quality players in the Exeter side, which just shows how hard and smart they all work the rest of the time.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 05 Jan 2013, 4:49 pm

Crumbs this is what happens when Jeryy Guscott tips Exeter to win by more than 7

Puts Saints season well and truely back on track

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Jan 2013, 5:35 pm

Good solid win by Saints. But I thought they still got lost from time to time. Myler had a good game and Foden appears to be improving from injury quite well. The team really turned it up a notch when Wood and Manoa came on.

I thought it was a this-way-that-way call yellow for Hartely and Saints almost came unglued during his absence. He has got to know referees watch him closer than most (that's earned, by the way), and has to make an extra effort to be clean. Even if the yellow might have been a bit strong.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 05 Jan 2013, 5:54 pm

Gutted. Felt we controlled the game for long periods, but composure let us down at key times - whether a penalty needlessly given away, a knock on, a failure to support a break, and most importantly a failure to execute when in the oppo 22m. Fair play to Saints, did the job they had to, two fine rolling maul score, but didn't offer that much threat elsewhere with ball in hand. Still gutted

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

ASBO,
A bit of a strange match. I thought Exe looked better with ball in hand as well. The first 20 minutes could have been quite different with a few breaks here or there. I think when you lost Thomas, the team was not as smooth on attack.

Saints seemed comfortable in defense, which has not been their norm this season. If their scrum and pack can get back to, and maintain, the standard we saw today, then Saints really do have a chance for the rest of the season.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat 05 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

Chiefs have struggled this season to string performances together. It's more like you would expect for a 2nd season team. They are obviously not far off the pace but just need that bit more. They won't accept it but maybe this season is just showing a lack of depth in the squad or that they've reached a plateau with the squad they have?

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

Some of the chiefs play was realy good, free flowing there passing was great. But i guess the experience of the saints pulled them through.

Hartley man of the match.?yes he played well, but so did Foden.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 05 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

Maj, thought Foden was outplayed by Arscott (his one duff clearance aside). Agreed on Saints experience counting big for them

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 05 Jan 2013, 6:54 pm

aitchw wrote:Chiefs have struggled this season to string performances together. It's more like you would expect for a 2nd season team. They are obviously not far off the pace but just need that bit more. They won't accept it but maybe this season is just showing a lack of depth in the squad or that they've reached a plateau with the squad they have?
Tough one, aitchw, not sure that it's a lack of depth as tbh we have similar strength players in almost every position, but it could possibly be the latter. A bit of smart recruitment over the summer (3-4 upgrades of weaker players), keep the amazing spirit in the squad, and ensure you have a team that plays its heart out for each other week-in week-out, is what I think is required

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:01 pm

That makes sense to me ASBO. I have nothing but respect for what they've achieved and as long as they maintain their safe mid table position I think they'll be fine. They really have outperformed the apparent status of the individual players to my mind.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:11 pm

aitchw wrote:That makes sense to me ASBO. I have nothing but respect for what they've achieved and as long as they maintain their safe mid table position I think they'll be fine. They really have outperformed the apparent status of the individual players to my mind.
Think that's absolutely spot on, aitchw, its what I think of as the Rob Baxter factor

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

Exeter reminded me a bit of Quins in the games we lost/justwon. Lots of intent to play from every where but a bit of naivety ball in hand and some poor option taking, not helped but a few sloppy passes and knock ons.

Still at least when this style of rugby comes good it's brilliant for the fans to watch, as we've already seen from the Chiefs this season. OK

Fair play to Saints, they did what was needed and managed to get control of the right areas to comfortably win.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

I wonder if Saints have hit that plateau as well.
Two seasons ago, they were pretty dominant, getting to the Heineken Cup final and the Premiership semi-final. Though at that time they were a bit shy with the depth in the squad. Last season, not so dominant. And again this season, less so. They appear to have the ability to rise to the occasion from time to time, and really play with anyone. But there seems to be one key thing missing.

Most people believe, with some merit, the missing link is at 10. But they got to the Heineken Cup final with Stevie Myler, and he is doing pretty well now, especially with a consistent run of games.

On the other hand, I think the gap is at 12. Downey and Clarke were a terrific combination for Saints, played off each other brilliantly, and were clearly better than the sum of the individual parts. I don't see Waldouck linking well with Pisi or with the wings. Waldouck seems a bit lost, from my perspective. I would like to see Burrell get a run, or even give the old man Tom May a go. At least then Saints would have similar styles in the centres which might mesh better.

Clearly, the front row appears to have lost a half-step. But with a little more play from the backs, this can be dealt with. Which is how the Saints played two seasons ago. Today against Exeter, it was clear what that group of forwards can really do. And proven against terrific opposition, to boot.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Some of the chiefs play was realy good, free flowing there passing was great. But i guess the experience of the saints pulled them through.

Thought Hartley got carded?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:13 am

ASBO
we will feck their Heino aspirations well and truly as revenge most terrible for this

esp that knob Hartley Braveheart Chief
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 06 Jan 2013, 8:29 am

Thanks, pal OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

Jeez, lads, no need to want to tear up Saints. They already fouled up their Heineken Cup aspirations on their own against Castres. Hanging by a thread, really.

Get behind them. Saints love support from all over......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 06 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

Doctor,
nothing personal matey. You could be walking into an ambush at Scotstoun a week on Saturday though boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 06 Jan 2013, 1:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Some of the chiefs play was realy good, free flowing there passing was great. But i guess the experience of the saints pulled them through.

Thought Hartley got carded?
You can get (yellow) carded and still be MOM. Hartley's got that knack of doing something a bit silly but also having a cracking game. It's why he's so popular.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Doctor,
nothing personal matey. You could be walking into an ambush at Scotstoun a week on Saturday though boxing
Crickey mate, that's the story of my life!
But Glasgow should want to treat Saints with tender lovin care. Saints are good, kind, and gentle blokes. But we (Saints) need to get a 'W' against Castres on Friday night before we worry about enjoying the Scotstoun hospitality on a a loverly Glasgow Saturday afternoon. I appreciate your concern.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:10 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
But Glasgow should want to treat Saints with tender lovin care. Saints are good, kind, and gentle blokes. But we (Saints) need to get a 'W' against Castres on Friday night before we worry about enjoying the Scotstoun hospitality on a a loverly Glasgow Saturday afternoon. I appreciate your concern.

Noted pal,

see you in the bar (gym hall) for a pint a week on Saturday - good luck v Castres Friday while we are in Belfast

Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:57 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Noted pal,

see you in the bar (gym hall) for a pint a week on Saturday - good luck v Castres Friday while we are in Belfast

Hug
And whilst in Belfast, would you please do me a favour?
Please defeat Ulster by 8+ points.
Thanks, and see you in a week....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 07 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Noted pal,

Hug

Try our level best my friend. BTW if you or any of the other Saints supporters travelling to Glasgow wish any inside advice PM me and I will do my best for you.

Apologies for kind of hi-jacking your post ASBO but good luck to the Chief in the Heino

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 07 Jan 2013, 7:42 pm

Great result as a Saints fan, felt that the final scoreline was a bit unfair on the Chiefs. In the end I felt that the Saints were just a little more streetwise and that was the difference.

I would have enjoyed the Chiefs new faster tempo game (new for me anyway, not seen much of the Chiefs this season) if was against any other opponent but it will certainly pay dividends in the long run, although it will probably give mixed results in the shorter term. As long as the directors and fans have patience whilst the players get used to it.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 07 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

B91212 wrote:Great result as a Saints fan, felt that the final scoreline was a bit unfair on the Chiefs. In the end I felt that the Saints were just a little more streetwise and that was the difference.

I would have enjoyed the Chiefs new faster tempo game (new for me anyway, not seen much of the Chiefs this season) if was against any other opponent but it will certainly pay dividends in the long run, although it will probably give mixed results in the shorter term. As long as the directors and fans have patience whilst the players get used to it.
Lovely to hear all of that, B OK

C21st, no worries bud

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Noted pal,

Hug

boxing

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:39 am

As per usual, some sensible words on what lies ahead for the Chiefs from Rob Baxter in the E&E:

Chiefs coach Baxter expects Clermont to provide hardest French test

EXETER Chiefs head over the English Channel again this weekend with a proud history of performing well in France behind them.

While they have lost three of their four away matches against French opposition, their heaviest defeat is by just five points.

That came against Stade Français in last season's Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-finals and is one of two losses to have been decided in the final moments.

However, head coach Rob Baxter readily admits Saturday's encounter with Clermont Auvergne is the toughest challenge his side have faced in France.

Unbeaten in Pool Five of the Heineken Cup so far this season, second in their domestic Top 14 and on the back of a 53-game winning run at home, Vern Cotter's side will take some stopping this weekend.

Baxter said one of the key factors in the past is that the Chiefs have made sure they enjoyed every moment of being in a different environment when they have played in France.

"We manage to make them one-off games. We don't see it as a part of the season we have to get on with, we really go for them and enjoy them," said Baxter.

"We talk a lot about maximising the experience, both as a team and as an individual player. That's served us very well.

"The atmosphere and the challenges have seemed to bring the best out of us a number of times but this is the toughest of all of them.

"It's a fantastic challenge. Big parts of Clermont's game are very good and they've got an exceptional squad. It's a nice test but one we'll look forward to and we'll enjoy our time away together."

Saturday's game at the Stade Marcel Michelin is the first of four cup matches in a row for the Chiefs as they take a break from the Aviva Premiership.

After Leinster travel to Sandy Park in the final group game in the Heineken Cup, Exeter complete their pool matches in the LV= Cup with a trip to Bath and the visit of Northampton.

The latter two will be a chance for the fringe players and youngsters in the squad to get another chance to shine.

First off, however, Baxter is looking for his players to show they have learned from some of their mistakes in the 30-19 defeat against Northampton last weekend.

"We can have a real focus over these four weeks about how we attack these games and how we want to move ourselves forward," he said.

"It's a great challenge for the squad and I'm really looking forward to it. They're a big opportunity for us to show what we're about. Different players get exposure and it's a different challenge in a different culture to playing in the Premiership.

"If there's anywhere that's a real test to go it's Clermont – it's 53 games on the bounce they've won at home now. It's just the environment you want to go into if you want to test yourself.

"We know after the last three weeks there are elements of our game we want to work on, we'll be looking to work on those this weekend and try to prove a point that we are learning from these periods.

"We'll try to make the game about Exeter because, slightly differently to the game last weekend against Northampton, Clermont aren't under too much pressure. They've won all their games so far, they're sitting pretty at the top of the pool and they probably feel pretty good about themselves."

The news on the injury front has been good for Baxter this week. Haydn Thomas and Phil Dollman, who failed to last the distance against Northampton, should both be fit.

Jason Shoemark could return after recovering from the illness that restricted his involvement in training last week.

James Scaysbrook, who was rested last time out, should also come back into the squad, although Simon Alcott needs a little longer to get over his neck injury.

While this weekend's game comes a little too soon for him, Kai Horstmann could feature in the LV= Cup at Bath.

Chief

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:42 am

Also in the E&E, news that Lee Byrne and talismanic captain Aurelien Rougerie may have recovered sufficiently from injury to play:

Rougerie and Byrne facing fitness tests ahead of Exeter Chiefs visit

CLERMONT Auvergne may be boosted by the return of experienced backs Aurelien Rougerie and Lee Byrne this weekend.

The duo returned to training last week after injuries and were due to have fitness tests today (Thursday) to determine whether they would be in contention for the penultimate round of pool fixtures in the Heineken Cup.

Captain Rougerie injured his right ankle during the 48-3 win against Bayonne at the end of December and was eased back in with a cycling session last week. After reporting no problems, he joined his teammates for an open training session on Monday this week.

Wales and British Lions full-back Byrne has missed the last three games after breaking a bone in his lower back but started running last week.

Despite the absence of the pair, Clermont won a 53rd consecutive home game last time out as they saw off Montpellier 36-18.

That was a fifth win in a row in all competitions for the side that have won all four of their matches in Pool Five of the Heineken Cup to sit eight points clear at the top of the group.

That means they just need a win against Exeter on Saturday to secure a place in this season's quarter-finals.

If they do make the last eight, it will be the third time in the last four seasons they have progressed to the knock-out stages.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

CHIEFS TEAM TO FACE CLERMONT AUVERGNE

15 Luke Arscott
14 Gonzalo Camacho
13 Phil Dollman
12 Jason Shoemark
11 Matt Jess
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Kevin Barrett
1 Ben Moon
2 Neil Clark
3 Hoani Tui
4 Tom Hayes (capt)
5 James Hanks
6 Tom Johnson
7 James Scaysbrook
8 Richard Baxter

16 Jack Yeandle
17 Carl Rimmer
18 Craig Mitchell
19 Aly Muldowney
20 Dean Mumm
21 Will Chudley
22 Ignacio Mieres
23 Ian Whitten

Looks strong

Big big occasion for Ben Moon, and great to see Will Chudley back

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm

The ASM Clermont Auvergne Team:
Exeter Chiefs vs Northampton Saints - build-up, teams and match-day thread 130111-compo-2_zps34d9d676

Looks weak - bunch of old fatties! Wink

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 12 Jan 2013, 10:43 am

Right, have made it as far as Paris, just waiting for connecting flight down to Clermont-Ferrand - just a little bit excited!

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:51 am

Good luck Chiefs!! I was going to say I hope it's a good day for you ASBO but seeing the Clermont fans on tv I don't think it could be bad either way!

Oh and to Clermont... Nalanga AND Sivivatu? That is an amazing wing combo.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:03 pm

It's a wee bit confusing to see the Clermont team listed on a thread about a game between Ex and Saints.

Erm

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Jeebus, no idea how that happened - insufficient user IQ?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:31 pm

Could a kind mod pls transfer the last dozen or so posts to the ASM vs Exe thread? Ta muchly

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Jeebus, no idea how that happened - insufficient user IQ?

I hope you were talking about yerself there pal!!!!!

boxing

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down