The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most "moving" scenes in movie history???

+23
Mr Bounce
Hoggy_Bear
compelling and rich
The Boss
Morgannwg
Galted
Hulking_up
hodge
djlovesyou
guildfordbat
Cyril
Pr4wn
The Womble
alfie
Mind the windows Tino.
kingjohn7
Liam
dummy_half
Skydriver
superflyweight
Stella
Pal Joey
TRUSSMAN66
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Most "moving" scenes in movie history??? Empty Most "moving" scenes in movie history???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 8:22 pm

Always loved the bit where Darth vader chucks the Emperor over the rail in Jedi.......(really stirs the heart)

When the Dad dies in How green is my valley is very moving.....

The end of Dead ringers....................(the movie)

When old Scrooge (Alastair Sim) walks into the party at his nephew's (very stirring)....

Some memorable ones that spring to mind........................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Most "moving" scenes in movie history??? Empty Re: Most "moving" scenes in movie history???

Post by Pal Joey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:44 am

For some reason movies with dogs have an emotional effect on me:

Marley and Me - when Marley has that sad look on his face at the end
Turner & Hooch - when Hooch gets shot in mid air... in slow-mo
Ol' Yeller - when the dog gets rabies and has to get put down

Also, Gladiator and Braveheart... quite violent, drawn out, cruel endings for Rusty and Mel's characters.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Most "moving" scenes in movie history??? Empty Re: Most "moving" scenes in movie history???

Post by Stella Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:48 am

Billy Elliott when Billy's Dad wells up at the end.

The Champ when 'the champ' dies.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:00 pm

Pretty much all of The Road. Had read the book before I saw the film and it is heartbreaking. The film manages to convey that same sense of horror, dread and hopelessness.

Watched Bowling for Columbine again recently and the first time since my daughter was born. The bit where the dad of one of the victims speaks at a protest rally outside the NRA convention broke my heart. His son had been killed the previous week and he was forcing back tears as he spoke of his death and his outrage at the NRA. Perhaps it's because I am now a father but I don't remember it provoking that feeling in me the first time I saw the film.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:03 pm

One that really surprised me was Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

It's a cartoon for goodness sake, but still, there's a heck of a lot of emotion in the scenes where the Beast releases Belle from her promise to stay with him, so that she can find her father, sick and lost in the woods somewhere (having realised that he loves her and knowing that she can save him), and then when he dies, or at least seems to (just as the magic rose dies and she tells him she loves him back).

Can imagine that a few people other than myself have suddenly found that the room seems to be a bit smoky and/or something has got in their eye when watching.

Deservedly the first animated film ever to be nominated for best picture Oscar in my view.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

Cartoons and animations can be very moving.

What about the scene in the Toy Story 3 film when they end up on the conveyor belt heading for the incinerator? One of the saddest most moving things I've seen... exaggerated by the animations.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Cartoons and animations can be very moving.

What about the scene in the Toy Story 3 film when they end up on the conveyor belt heading for the incinerator? One of the saddest most moving things I've seen... exaggerated by the animations.

The ending where he left his childhood and toys behind was quite moving as well.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Crying or Very sad

The other day I was cleaning out the roof space in the shed at Mum's place and a couple of teddy bears and my favourite toy lion fell on my head. They were all covered in dust and falling apart in various states of disintegration. Had to throw them out as they were beyond repair. It kind of shattered me. I thought they were in plastic bags inside the house somewhere!

back to the moving moments..

The little girl in red in Schindler's List. Also some similar scene in Sophie's Choice.

Wasn't a huge fan of Titanic but poor Leo took a while to sink down into the cold waters didn't he?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 03 Jan 2013, 2:59 pm

Linebreaker wrote: Crying or Very sad
[i]
Wasn't a huge fan of Titanic but poor Leo took a while to sink down into the cold waters didn't he?

There'd have been room for both of them on that door if Kate Winslet wasn't quite so top-heavy Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:36 pm

William Wallace's execution in Braveheart

That bit in The Patriot when Mel Gibson's daughter finally speaks

The bit in Lethal Weapon 2 where Patsy Kensit snuffs it

When Ron Burgundy is in a glass cage of emotion

Four great emotive scenes Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:13 pm

It's funny but I went home for Christmas........and the toy monkey I got given when I was 8 is still at the folk's house with my name on it......

Kind of sentimental....

Bambi's mother getting splayed is a moving scene..

End of "Field of dreams" always has me welling up...when his Dad is waiting to play ball with him.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:39 pm

Vanilla Sky where Cruise is saying goodbye to penelope cruz for the last time, real moving moment.

Click where Sandler is dying in the middle of the street

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

Good shout there Stella with the 'Champ'.
'Tarzan the legend of Greystoke' when his gorilla dad/mum(cant remember) gets killed.
Mick dying in Rockylll

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

superflyweight wrote:Pretty much all of The Road. Had read the book before I saw the film and it is heartbreaking. The film manages to convey that same sense of horror, dread and hopelessness.

Great shout Superfly. Like you, I read the book first and found it incredibly moving. I went to the cinema filled with dread that the film wouldn't do the book justice but I need not have worried as I thought they handled it brilliantly. The despair and bleakness is captured superbly and the relationship between Mortensen's father and Smit-McPhee's son is acted and scripted with real honesty and emotion. The scene in the 'bunker' when the father and son finally find some respite and peace from the horror above ground is just incredible. The film hits you over and over again and then gives you five minutes of the most beautifully staged peace you can imagine. Great stuff. Robert Duvall's cameo of the wandering old guy is staggeringly good as well. He manages to almost steal the film in a five minute walk on.

McCarthy is a truly great writer.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 04 Jan 2013, 6:23 am

Well the Bambi thing did it for me when I was four...

A rather obscure 1946 film called
Beware of Pity featured Lilli Palmer as a young aristocratic woman confined to a wheelchair. When she realizes the dashing young officer who has promised to marry her has acted out of pity , not love , she decides to end it all ...just as he belatedly recognizes he really does love her and goes racing frantically back to her home , we see her open the gate on her mountain side balcony , and wheel forward...and of course , he is too late...

It got me.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:05 am

The Road is an incredible book and I'm trying to read more of his stuff. I read All the Pretty Horses and liked that a lot but then made the mistake of going straight into The Crossing which I think was too similar and I stopped about half way through. I keep meaning to pick it up again.

Not sure I'll be able to read or watch The Road again but the book and the film will stay with me for a long time.

Speaking of great literary adaptations, I always find the closing scene of To Kill a Mockingbird incredibly moving. Have read the book god knows how many times and seen the film at least 4 or 5 times but that closing scene always gets me.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:19 am

superflyweight wrote:

Not sure I'll be able to read or watch The Road again but the book and the film will stay with me for a long time.

Speaking of great literary adaptations, I always find the closing scene of To Kill a Mockingbird incredibly moving. Have read the book god knows how many times and seen the film at least 4 or 5 times but that closing scene always gets me.

Well strangely enough, Superfly, the first thing I did after posting last night was get The Road back off the bookcase and starting reading it again. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many books I have 're-read', but The Road is now joining that list. The book is simply incredible and I know this sounds terribly self-indulgent, but my eldest son is 10 years old which is roughly how old the 'boy' is in the book and I could feel all those emotions I felt reading it first time welling up again. The bleakness and horror interspersed with moments of genuine humanity is just so well paced. I know some people struggle with McCarthy's prose, but it is perfectly paced in The Road. Not sure how I will feel at the end of it but I was instantly hooked again.

Agree on To Kill a Mockingbird as well. It is, for me, the greatest courtroom based film of all time and does justice to a staggeringly good book. Gregory Peck is just superb as Aticus Finch.

Also, going back to Robert Duvall and small cameo parts.......I believe it is his screen debut as Boo Radley!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:40 am

There are a few.

Philadelphia - Andy's wake. The music just hits you everytime.

Million Dollar Baby - When Maggie asks Frankie to inject the adrenaline. Powerful.

The Shawshank Redemption - When Red and Andy meet up at the end. Just the perfect ending.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Fri 04 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

The ones that get me are:

In Forrest Gump when he is holding the letter from the son at Jenny's grave and telling her smart the kid is. That tugs at the old heart strings.

In Finding Nemo (a cartoon I know), not the bit at the beginning when that shark wipes out his mum and all the other babies but the bit right at the end when Nemo is going off to school and the dad is telling him to be careful etc. Maybe its because I have a 1 year old girl but it gets me every time!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:The ones that get me are:

In Forrest Gump when he is holding the letter from the son at Jenny's grave and telling her smart the kid is. That tugs at the old heart strings.

In Finding Nemo (a cartoon I know), not the bit at the beginning when that shark wipes out his mum and all the other babies but the bit right at the end when Nemo is going off to school and the dad is telling him to be careful etc. Maybe its because I have a 1 year old girl but it gets me every time!

My kids like it when the Dad finds Nemo. I get where you're coming from.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

The mission - when the jesuit priests and the villagers get shot because they refuse to move...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Fri 04 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

Stella wrote:

Its the whole 'letting them go' thing. I'm dreading it!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:
Stella wrote:

Its the whole 'letting them go' thing. I'm dreading it!

Mine are three and they are already showing signs of independence. I'll be a nervous wreck when they go out play for hours upon end.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Remember the bit in Basic instinct when Douglas had his "Lady Cop shrink" up against the wall....

That moved me.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Remember the bit in Basic instinct when Douglas had his "Lady Cop shrink" up against the wall....

That moved me.....

Christ, Truss! This was a beautiful thread until you wrote that. So beautiful that I almost couldn't believe that you had started it all. So beautiful that I really started to believe that you might be a tender lover and that Mrs Truss was a lucky, lucky woman. You've spoilt it now.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

Last time I tried the same move..I put my back out and got a knee in the rocks for my trouble!!!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Last time I tried the same move..I put my back out and got a knee in the rocks for my trouble!!!! Cool

You have to be careful with those lads down the gym, they're not all that way inclined.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:19 pm

Now you tell me!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm

The scene at the end of American History X when Derek runs into the school Tobin his brother.

The very beginning of "Up". No dialogue just wonderful music and animation.

The scene in "Big Fish" where the old man passes away and is having his final story told to him by his son.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:45 pm

The scene in kane and Abel when William Kane finally relents and decides to meet his Son/Grandson..

When they arrive in his study....he's sadly passed away...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:58 pm

Pr4wn wrote:The scene in "Big Fish" where the old man passes away and is having his final story told to him by his son.
Yeah, that one is definitely up there.

For some reason I get choked at the bit in As Good as It Gets when the doctor (Harold Ramis) tells Carol (Helen Hunt) that he is going to be able to treat her son and that he'll feel a lot better.

There are quite a few scenes in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind that are moving.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:16 pm

I'll use this thread to legitimately flag a masterpiece of a film from more than eighty years ago and its largely forgotten star. Produced by Warner Brothers in 1932, I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang starring Paul Muni (1895 - 1967). A social / crime drama that is a damning indictment of American penal policy at the time. The film and Muni were deserved Oscar nominees although both unluckily ultimately lost out.

I will not spoil the ending but would emphasise that it is not only moving but also dramatic and tragic. A highly recommended film if you ever get the chance to see it - occasionally pops up on TCM. I would equally commend most films featuring Muni - a leading actor Oscar winner just once but six times a nominee.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

Artex sinking in the mud in The Neverending Story.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 05 Jan 2013, 3:19 am

May not be seen this way, but one that brings a bit of a smile to my face would be the ending to warrior.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:46 pm

Paul Muni...the original scarface....

good film.....and good call..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Artex sinking in the mud in The Neverending Story.

You horrible, horrible man.

I've spent about 20 years removing this traumatic episode from my mind. Piece by tiny piece.

Now you have brought all those memories flooding back.

I hate you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sun 06 Jan 2013, 3:12 am

The scene in Mac And Me when the wheelchair boy dies in the petrol station explosion and the aliens walk out from the fire and bring the boy back to life.
It gave me a lump in my throat and my friend shed a little tear.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:23 am

Forrest Gump - when the bus rides off with Jenny waving & Forrest is left standing in the road to the tune of Byrds "Turn Turn Turn"

To Kill A Mockingbird - the introduction at the end when Scout says "hey Boo" or something similar

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm

The ending of Warrior, onwards from when Tommy's arm is broken.

The ending of MIB 3. Little J witnesses his father killed by Boris and K wipes it from his memory, then spends the rest of his life regretting it.

Dark Knight Rises. An unhappy Batman sacrifices himself to save Gotham, he finally remembers fear on his way to doing so and I think that is why he disabled the autopilot?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 09 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

Remember The Titans after Burtier has been paralysed and only wants to talk to "his brother" Julius. Every. Single. Time!

When Mufasa dies in The Lion King.

Tend to see things abit more emotionally when in a hungover state.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 09 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

quite alot of mine have gone, bit soft with anything with animals

king kong no matter what version always gets me

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 09 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

'Birdy'-When Birdy jumps off the roof at the end.

'Escape to Victory'- Very Happy

'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'- Quite an obvious one

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Jan 2013, 7:17 am

Hoggy_Bear wrote:'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'- Quite an obvious one

Assume you're talking about the final scene, has to rank as one of the, if not the, greatest scene ever in cinema, gets me every time.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 10 Jan 2013, 8:15 am

The Green Mile - when John Coffey asks not to have the blindfold when he's in the electric chair because he's afraid of the dark.

I was in bits...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 10 Jan 2013, 8:24 am

The bit in ET where Elliott thinks that ET is dead but then sees the flower come back to life and realise that ET is coming back to life too. Amazing!

Also nominate a little heard of film with Timothy Dalton and Anthony Edwards called "Hawks" - the end wedding scene also is truly moving.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:47 pm

Adam D wrote:The bit in ET where Elliott thinks that ET is dead but then sees the flower come back to life and realise that ET is coming back to life too. Amazing!

I came onto this thread to say that one. Laugh

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

The scene in Shawshank Redemption when Andy Dufresne plays the duet from Marriage of Figaro with Red's voiceover.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 10 Jan 2013, 2:44 pm

The Boss wrote:Remember The Titans after Burtier has been paralysed and only wants to talk to "his brother" Julius. Every. Single. Time!

When Mufasa dies in The Lion King.

Tend to see things abit more emotionally when in a hungover state.

Oh my word! I had forgotten that. What a film and what a scene, nice one Boss thumbsup
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 10 Jan 2013, 3:01 pm

In Cemetery Junction when Bruce shares a beer with his dad, after years of giving him grief, wrongly blaming him for his mother leaving.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 3:52 pm

One scene that always gets me going is in Apollo 13 when they're waiting for the astronauts to come out of 'blackout' and there's no response for ages, everyone's expecting the worst and then you hear Tom Hanks' voice over the radio "Hello, Houston. This is Odyssey. It's good to see you again". Cue bedlam.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next