The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TNA = a review of 2012

+4
Kay Fabe
Mr Video Man
Hero
Adam D
8 posters

Go down

TNA = a review of 2012 Empty TNA = a review of 2012

Post by Adam D Mon 24 Dec 2012, 2:46 pm

2012 - The year of TNA?

As we approach the end of the year, what better time to look back and reflect on what the year has been like for TNA.

Have they gained ground on WWE? Have they even progressed from where they were at this time last year?

Before these (and other) questions can be answered, lets look back at what happened at the final PPV of 2011, Final Resolution.

Going into the PPV, Bobby Roode was the TNA Heavyweight champion and had been for just over a month, having turned heel on his former Beer Money stablemate in the process. And for me, this one storyline is the reason why TNAs report card should be a positive one.

The Bobby Roode heel turn was much derided by many at the time (actually lets correct that, it was derided by everyone bar Hogan and Bischoff). Noone could see the logic behind it, or for that matter where it was heading.

However, it did signal two very important events in TNAs history that would lead it to having one of its best years yet - Roode as the Champion and the end of the Immortal and Fortune stables. These two stables and storylines were complicated beyond reason and for the casual viewer, made it very difficult to understand who they were supposed to be cheering for and who
they were supposed to boo.

Going into 2012, TNA looked like a tangled mess that was going to be hard to unravel. But somehow, they did and they did it very quickly.

At the Final Resolution PPV, Roode wrestled Styles in a fantastic iron man match that ended in Roode retaining the TNA Heavyweight belt. So although, as always, the wrestling was fantastic, the storylines coming into the PPV were at times shambolic. But then something happened.

Grabbing the ball

If 2013 is going to be remembered for anything in TNA, its going to be the rise of the midcard to genuine superstars. A number of wrestlers, really upped their game in 2013, despite at times being lumbered with very poor storylines. And the first to step up to the plate were Beer Money.

Roode became the longest ever reigning TNA Heavyweight champ by Destination X. And he did it in a style that many doubted he had in him. Even though by the end of 2012, he will have been beltless for close to 5 months, he still exudes main eventer. And that is down to his supporting cast and his own abilities.

His ongoing feud with James Storm is possibly the best written, slow burning feud over recent years in wrestling. Every match they faced off in 2012 was laced with excitement and anticipation. And every man and their dog knew that Roode would get his comeuppance at Lockdown in Storms hometown. But he didnt. Once again he escaped the Cowboys clutches and left Dodge with the gold.

Which led us to the BFG series where we knew Roode was finally going to face Storm in the biggest pay off of the year. But he didnt.

Its testament to both of these wrestlers that although the feud has been going for over a year, not one wrestling fan wouldn't be excited to see these two go at it one more time for the title. And a huge amount of credit has to go to the creative team for keeping this huge event going for over 12 months.

Not only is it the hottest feud in wrestling right now, it has also elevated both of its competitors to new heights. Roode as the full blown
champion heel and Storm as the everyman beer swilling face.

So who took the belt off Roode on day 256? Well for my money, the best superstar in wrestling today, Mr Austin Aries. The 298 day X Division champion has had a fantastic year, not only becoming the longest ever reigning X Division champion but also getting to the top of the hill by dethroning Roode.

His actions, in and out of the ring have been electric. And if it wasnt down to the fact that he became embroiled in the Aces and 8s storyline, his reign as heavyweight champ could and should have been better. However, what it did show the watching world is that stars can be made with the right exposure. And although Aries was eventually a sacrificial lamb to the TNA Babyface of Jeff Hardy, it was Austin who elevated the feud past the build up it got.

Aries is undoubtedly one of the best heels in the business today, and where TNA have got things right this year, is in developing stars who could credibly slot into the main event at any time.

And in Storm, Roode and Aries, they have exactly that.

As for the other positives of 2012 for TNA, there are 3 more people that I feel deserve a mention, who have defied the stories laid at their feet.

Bully Ray has excelled at everything he has done this year. His matches, his aggression and even his dedication to getting in shape have set him apart from the other midcarders in TNA. In fact, I predict that by the time you have read a similar review in 2013, that Bully Ray will have held the Heavyweight championship for a spell.

And although the Aces and 8s storyline has had its ups and downs, the best thing about it has been Bullys involvement. And the only chance the A&8s conclusion has, is if Bully Ray is integral to either their defeat or solidity.

My final positive report is to be laid at the feet of Kazaniels who have somehow managed to find a chemistry that has long been missing from any wrestling tag division. Both Kazarian and Daniels have taken the goofy tag teams of yesteryear and turned them into a modern day act of genius. Everything about these two suggests that it wont be long before they are crowned tag champs again and this time, I expect them to retain the belts for a long time. In these two, I can TNA building a whole division around. And this is in spite of TNAs biggest albatross.....

Creative has something for you

2012 has been a great year in building stars in TNA but it has almost at times been despite the writers best attempts to sabotage them. The biggest thing that TNA has done wrong this year has been the misjudging of some of the storylines.

Just the mention of Claire Lynch, the unmasking of Devon at BFG, hammer attacks or a Brooke Hogan romance, is enough to send a shiver down anyones spine (and thats without even throwing in the Tara/ Jesse vs Eric Young/ODB storyline into the mix).

At times, the creative planning for the storylines has been criminal. They have made some very good moves (such as extending Roode/ Storm) but overall, it has been a disappointing creative year.

I am not adverse to the A&8s storyline, but to have Devon unmasked on the biggest PPV of the year was unforgiveable. To have Austin Aries barely face anyone as World Champ when he was in the form he was, is unforgiveable. To have Claire Lynch on TV at all is...well you get the picture.

But having said all that, the wrestlers rose above it all. Each and everyone of those bum-hands dealt was bettered by Beer Money, Aries and Kazaniels respectively.

And although all these things may appear to make a bad 2012, the potential as to where the whole show goes is light years ahead of where TNA were at this point in 2011.

A new year....

I started off by asking the questions of where TNA stood in comparison to WWE. Well for my money, TNA has gotten a lot better and much more consitent. It has closed the gap from a creative and artistic point of view, as well as most probably a viewing point of view (but thats most probably WWE viewers turning off, with a little growth from TNA).

TNA should also take heart by the fact that WWE are obviously watching what TNA has been doing. Several storylines have been very similar recently and even things like the opening show recaps that TNA has been doing expertly for quite some time have started to appear on WWE programming.

So from that point of view, I think TNA has done more good things than bad. And hopefully this will have a positive impact on all wrestling tv shows.

If I had to give a final report on the 2012 TNA year it would be this:

A great start to the year that has helped create a wave of new main eventers. Although sloppy in their written work, the production values have been second to none, demonstrating amazing promotional videos throughout the year. The roster has excelled from top to bottom and we are now seeing their pioneering work be imitated by others.

Overall, has progressed well throughout the year and although there has been blips, the future for 2013 looks like it could be even better.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

TNA = a review of 2012 Empty Re: TNA = a review of 2012

Post by Hero Mon 24 Dec 2012, 2:58 pm

What I would be looking to do if I was TNA would be to rediscover what made most of their old school fans into it and by bringing through guys from the Indys and pushing them further.
TNA for me was at its best when the likes of AJ, Joe and Daniels sat at the top of the pile and back then they were the first port of call for the independent stars as WWE had the perception of cookie cut guys from developmental.
Noes it's gone full circle, Aries is about the only guy TNA have brought in with success in a long while whilst WWE have a plethora of Indy guys with Jon Moxley, Tyler Black, PAC, Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, Bryan Danielson and of course CM Punk.
If I was Dixie I'd be reaching out to ROH now that Jim Cornette has left (who despised TNA) and be looking to bring in Steen and the Briscoes on at least a you rub our back we rub yours joint promotion.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 24 Dec 2012, 3:02 pm

Its all well saying that Hero, but most of those have only just come in and lets see where they are in 3 months time.

TNA has been about the slow build this year and two homegrown guys (Storm Roode) are the stars of next year. The only ex WWE guy in the main scene is HArdy and Bully Ray (who wasnt anywhere near Main event in WWE). All the rest are either TNA/ Indy wrestlers.

I really hope that WWE continues on its path but I get a feeling that Wrestlemania will have the old guard headlining with the exception of Punk (who lets face it has been in WWE for years now anyway)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 24 Dec 2012, 3:13 pm

Whilst they've done well in regards to escalating Beer Money to main event status I think in the case of Aries it was despite their booking that he went over and they just panic pushed as a result of how over he was.
I look at the roster of TNA compared to what it was 2-3 years ago and frankly its lost a lot of star power and in general guys that I want to see.

Apart from Kazaniels where's the tag teams?
The X Division? Once TNAs huge USP reduced to sticking for me the most overrated wrestler of a generation as champ.
The female division, again something that blew away WWEs version, again a shadow of its former self.

Yes TNA have taken 2 steps forward in the pushing of Roode and Storm, yet they taken far more backwards IMO in every other aspect of the company.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 24 Dec 2012, 3:25 pm

I would disagree about the X division in that they are trying to rebuild it at the moment following the departure of its star, AA.

You have guys like Ion, Kenny King, Joey Ryan, and the other Gut Check guys who will get a chance.

The tag division is something I agree on but lets not forget 6 months ago, WWE was the same. There are some potentially good feuds in there for Kazaniels:
Chavo and Hernandez, Ryan and Morgan (both wasted), the Robbies, Brisco and Bischoff plus a few others.

The Knockouts is in a terrible state, I agree but once again the WWE counterpart is worse. With the reintroduction of Mickie and Velvet and potentially the Blossoms, it could get better.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 24 Dec 2012, 4:07 pm

X Division pre Hogan: Jay Lethal, Petey Williams, Amazing Red, Chris Sabin, Alex Shelley, Homicide, Douglas Williams, AJ Styles, Chris Daniels.

Knockouts: Awesome Kong, Roxxi, Angelina Love, Shelley Martinez, Taylor Wilde

Tag team: LAX, MCMG, British Invasion, Beer Money (though we know they got pushed), team 3D, Lethal Consequences

Simply put these haven't been replaced in what was TNAs strongest areas over WWE.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Mon 24 Dec 2012, 4:10 pm

Hero wrote:X Division pre Hogan: Jay Lethal, Petey Williams, Amazing Red, Chris Sabin, Alex Shelley, Homicide, Douglas Williams, AJ Styles, Chris Daniels.

Knockouts: Awesome Kong, Roxxi, Angelina Love, Shelley Martinez, Taylor Wilde

Tag team: LAX, MCMG, British Invasion, Beer Money (though we know they got pushed), team 3D, Lethal Consequences

Simply put these haven't been replaced in what was TNAs strongest areas over WWE.

the knockouts have velvet sky back thats enough for me.....let the pidgeons loose Wink
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 24 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

Velvet Sky has dramatically improved in the past few years certainly, very similar in fact to Trish Stratus who initially were both eye candy both both showed they were willing to put the graft in and and listen on how to improve.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 24 Dec 2012, 4:50 pm

I think Aries was pushed in spite of TNA's better judgement too, I wasn't really watching at the time but looking back at it retrospectively it looked like he was getting himself insanely over and due to the way CM Punk captured the WWE fans imagination I believe TNA tried to cash in on that train of thought, wasn't a bad idea to be fair but I don't think it was a grand plan that came to fruition

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 24 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

The fact as well that the news has come out that several countries in Europe have just dropped TNA from their TV schedules because it was such a non-entity for viewers and Sky have no desire to renew it based on its poor performance.

Well done TNA, you've made two stars in the past 3 years at the expense of the rest of the company, I doff my cap to you.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 24 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

Hero wrote:The fact as well that the news has come out that several countries in Europe have just dropped TNA from their TV schedules because it was such a non-entity for viewers and Sky have no desire to renew it based on its poor performance.

Well done TNA, you've made two stars in the past 3 years at the expense of the rest of the company, I doff my cap to you.

Can you explain that?

I thought that TNA actually got more viewers in the UK than WWE.

And secondly, does Sky own Challenge? Does that mean that TNA will be open for someone like Channel 5 to come in if it does?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 24 Dec 2012, 5:27 pm

I didn't mean the UK, Sky own TV across Europe. This is from Wrestling Observer:

To follow up on our earlier report from this month about TNA losing television distribution in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, more details are now known.

According to sources, TNA provided all programming to Sky in Germany for free with the hope it would expose the product in those European markets that WWE has performed well in. TNA would work with Sky on PPV events to make money on the deal and the hope was that it would lead to strong attendance at events held in the region. However, TNA PPV events only drew a few hundred buys and attempts to run live events in those markets were huge disappointments.

TNA made the call to let the contract expire and were hoping to shop the programming to another provider in the countries. Sky was described as not being happy with the deal and looked at TNA as a low-rated television show with no upside.
In regards to Challenge TV, yes that is owned by Sky when Sky bought that and the Bravo channels a couple of years ago.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Mon 24 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

Just seen this which is interesting

"TNA is taping original specialty programming on Jan 12, the day before Genesis. One show will feature 7 tag team matches & a gauntlet. The other show will focus on X Division action and will feature an X-Scape Cage match and an Ultimate X match. More details to come."

Perhaps after this things in those 2 divisions will pick up again, I Would Love to see Jigsaw And Scorpio Sky (Unless WWE Bring Him In As Harold Again Wink ) Back Again For The X Division One

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 24 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

That's what just rankles with me, there's a plethora of hugely talented Indy guys out there that would be great in TNA like Jigsaw, Jack Evans, Delirious, Sami Calihan etc that could really be decent in a fed like TNA. Just look at Aries, he was released by ROH in a roster chop and is now the best thing going in the company.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Tue 25 Dec 2012, 1:15 am

In my opinion TNA failed this year because Roode/Storm, which could have been such a big deal for the title at BFG wasn't for the title.... it had to be the biggest match, the final one of the night to give the fans the idea that it is worth investing into the company their time and money. Instead it was thrown away in the middle of the card and made the year's build up a bit of a waste of time.

Instead the BFG series was built around the rise and yet another chance for an ex-WWE former drug addict. That and the fact that Hogan/Bischoff/Jarrett (depending on who may be behind A&8's) means that very little that needed to change has and therefore this year will have to be considered an overall failure for me.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 25 Dec 2012, 2:00 am

ncfc_Tooze wrote:Just seen this which is interesting

"TNA is taping original specialty programming on Jan 12, the day before Genesis. One show will feature 7 tag team matches & a gauntlet. The other show will focus on X Division action and will feature an X-Scape Cage match and an Ultimate X match. More details to come."

Perhaps after this things in those 2 divisions will pick up again, I Would Love to see Jigsaw And Scorpio Sky (Unless WWE Bring Him In As Harold Again Wink ) Back Again For The X Division One

Every part of this intrigues me. The problem I've had with TNA is that since I've started watching, at Hardcore Justice, the big things I was told TNA did best (X-division, womens wrestling, tags, less nonsense stories) have all been brushed aside. Some focus on areas they are meant to be specialists at would make them far more exciting.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 25 Dec 2012, 2:15 am

Adam D wrote:I would disagree about the X division in that they are trying to rebuild it at the moment following the departure of its star, AA.

You have guys like Ion, Kenny King, Joey Ryan, and the other Gut Check guys who will get a chance.

The tag division is something I agree on but lets not forget 6 months ago, WWE was the same. There are some potentially good feuds in there for Kazaniels:
Chavo and Hernandez, Ryan and Morgan (both wasted), the Robbies, Brisco and Bischoff plus a few others.

The Knockouts is in a terrible state, I agree but once again the WWE counterpart is worse. With the reintroduction of Mickie and Velvet and potentially the Blossoms, it could get better.

Adam I admire your opinions on TNA and agree that things aren't always as bad as there made out to be, but for the love of god can you please stop using the defence that because WWE does things, or isn't great in certain departments it justifies TNA's failing in the same area.

TNA had made some great strides this year for me, they had strong consistant storyline running there main event, and from the World Title through to Tag they had a very very strong set of champions, who coincidentally were all TNA's own with minimal links to the WWE. It seemed like they were emerging strong post-Russo.

But the failings of the latter part of the year were classic TNA, a totally unessecary and as its turning out pretty shambolic faction, reactionary booking where they devestated a really well built storyline for the sake of hotshotting the title onto Aries which while a decent idea in concept clashed horendously with A&8's and the BFG series and which did nothing for anyone, took a lot of the momentum out of the BFG series and harmed there star man Aries in the process. Finally if you take a look at the champions, once again it's very WWE centric, Hardy, RVD, Chavo and Tara all have heavy links with the WWE, admittedly Hardy and RVD are doing well in their roles and Hardy in particular has big star potential, but it is a dissapointment for a group that was beginning to highlight so many of there homegrown stars.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down