The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for the ultimate heavyweight journeyman

+6
sherm
TheMackemMawler
bellchees
Rowley
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
spencerclarke
10 posters

Go down

looking for the ultimate heavyweight journeyman Empty looking for the ultimate heavyweight journeyman

Post by spencerclarke Thu 20 Dec 2012, 7:23 pm

Evening gents. A quick question for some of our resident experts. I was just wondering who is the heavyweight version of peter Buckley?

Basically a heavyweight that most of the upcoming fighters are put in with for some solid rounds. Buckley was never a danger to most up coming fighters but could guarantee rounds as he was durable. I'm guessing it's less likely in the heavyweight division due to the increased power. But do you get guys who can turn up several times in a few days and makeep the next big thing graft. Hopefully their are some stories tp go with this.

Cheers in advance

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

looking for the ultimate heavyweight journeyman Empty Re: looking for the ultimate heavyweight journeyman

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 20 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

Not quite at the magnitude of Buckley who ha San incredible record in losses, but Zack Page is one who comes to mind

Losses to fighters like Dallas, Fury, Perez, Juan Carlos Gomez, Charr, Gerber, Luis Ortiz, Pablo Hernandez, Seth Mitchell, Sprott and Pulev not to mention a good win over Kevin Mcbride in the middle of it all

Plus he has only been stopped 4 times in something like 40+ losses so normally guarenteed rounds

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

looking for the ultimate heavyweight journeyman Empty Re: looking for the ultimate heavyweight journeyman

Post by Rowley Thu 20 Dec 2012, 7:58 pm

In the UK Tony Booth tended to fit the bill, took fights at the drop of a hat usually gave his opponents some rounds but did not tend to win too many. Actually saw him on a Calzaghe undercard, he was pretty funny. He did a bit of an Ali shuffle and when it got some laughs started doing a full repertoir of tricks, bolo punches and dropping his hands left right and centre, pretty funny to be honest.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 20 Dec 2012, 8:11 pm

Ross Puritty was a bit of an international journeyman/gate keeper.

Chambers, Dimitrenko, Timo Hoffmann, Vitali, Wlad, Chris Byrd, Larry Donald, Corrie Sanders, Michael Grant, Hasim Rahman, Tommy Morrison, Kirk Johnson. Fought a lot of these guys when they were prospects rather than real contenders and only beat Wlad who for my money is the best of all of them. Only Vitali got him out of there within the distance as well and that took 11 rounds.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 20 Dec 2012, 9:11 pm

Chuck Wepner, but not for the amount of fights he had but rather for the fight anyone anywhere attitude he shared with buckley.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:44 am

Cheers gents for your efforts, very interesting. I love stories about these kind of guys. You always hear about the superstars making a fortune but not enough about the blokes who take thousands of punishing blows just to put a meal on the table. Many of them are quite capable as well but seem to know what they are there for. I.e. they wouldn't necessarily have so many losses if it was life or death.

It takes an incredible heart in my eyes to be able to be in a tough man's sport like boxing and pass through those ropes knowing that most nights you will lose. The easy option would be to pack it in but they realise that the sport needs this sort of fighter.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuBML8C61c

Tony Booth in a rare win for him, funny film.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:39 am

Just on my way to work Jeff but will watch other later. Cheers!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:26 pm

Rowley wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuBML8C61c

Tony Booth in a rare win for him, funny film.

Thats the funniest thing I've ever seen, burst out laughing at work and got a dodgy look or two.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

That really is quite brilliant

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:19 pm

Friday Ahunanya, Danny Williams in germany and bobby gunn in the usa all come to mind in recent times.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sat 22 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

Rowley wrote:In the UK Tony Booth tended to fit the bill, took fights at the drop of a hat usually gave his opponents some rounds but did not tend to win too many. Actually saw him on a Calzaghe undercard, he was pretty funny. He did a bit of an Ali shuffle and when it got some laughs started doing a full repertoir of tricks, bolo punches and dropping his hands left right and centre, pretty funny to be honest.

Hull legend...currently serving a nine stretch for supplying drugs...

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 31 Dec 2012, 2:34 pm

I've seen a lot of Hasting Rasani on my travels. He's been beaten by the likes of:

Dillian Whyte, Gary Cornish, Albert Sosnowski, Tony Conquest, David Haye, Tony Bellew, Travis/Jon Lewis Dickinson, Kenny Anderson, Matty Askin (been all over the weights).

Marion Wilson is a good shout.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 31 Dec 2012, 9:23 pm

Cleveland Williams fought and beat many top men in the 60s and was one of the greatest punchers ever, though the Big Cat may well have been a champion in another era and he was also hampered in his prime by injuries sustained in a shooting (for no apparent reason) by a Policeman causing irreparable kidney, intestinal and Knee damage he was still able to fight at the top level and was a serious opponent for anyone.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down