The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Victor Ortiz Story

4 posters

Go down

The Victor Ortiz Story Empty The Victor Ortiz Story

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:41 pm

This guy exemplifies courage for me to come through what he has done, I have nothing but respect for him and that before he even gets into the ring.

His parents were not the best, his mother abandoned the family when Victor was 7, her last word to the 7 year old Victor was that "he'd never f******* amount to anything. Victor once drew her a card once with a little rose on it and I gave it to her. She just threw it down and said 'What do I want that s*** for?

Victor's father's was an alcoholic that use to beat his children and then he like their mother abandoned them forcing them into the Kansas foster care system.

Ortiz said he learned to box after getting beating up by school bullies, but he did get involved in dealing drugs but he realised he didn't need that rudey poo or guilt in his life.

Adulthood has presented challenges for Ortiz as well. Entering his fourth year as a pro in January 2008, he had to file for bankruptcy protection. He adopted Temo four years ago. Partly because they're close in age, there's some natural conflict. Recently, Temo left Ortiz's Ventura, Calif., home. He came back only to leave again.

"(Victor) tells me, 'What I want to do is help my brother, but I will not enable my brother,' says Arellano, who adds Ortiz has another sister, Aneli, who is legally blind and he barely knows her or her whereabouts. " 'I got you out of foster care, get your (act) together. I will help you, but I'm not supporting you.' "

I only read bits about his early life but what he has gone through and where he has got show tremendous determination and fortitude in the face of adversity.

He seems like a great kid too and wish him the best of luck for his boxing future.

If anyone has any links about Ortiz's story I would be most thankful if they could post them.

Thanks D4

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2009-06-22-victor-ortiz_N.htm

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

The Victor Ortiz Story Empty Re: The Victor Ortiz Story

Post by oxring Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm

Nice article d4.

I am a great admirer of Ortiz - a true rags to redemption story. In addition - he always comes to fight - and he is an amazing boxer. With proper management he'd never have lost to Maidana. Given he's walking around so big and weighing in at 161 for a welterweight fight - why the hell did he fight at 140 for so long? There's a limited length of time that you can do that for.

I'd like to hope he has a long career and matures into the next great WW champ. He's the sort of character that can bring people back into the sport. An "interest" fighter.

It doesn't matter how much "smack" you talk if your fights are dull.

Ortiz doesn't really do dull fights.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:02 pm

Nice guy and hopefully has a long and successful career. He deserves it after his upbringing. Great to see someone from that sort of background doing good instead of using it as an excuse to be a knob.

http://www.boxingscene.com/victor-ortiz-survival-fittest--13521
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:05 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Nice guy and hopefully has a long and successful career. He deserves it after his upbringing. Great to see someone from that sort of background doing good instead of using it as an excuse to be a knob.

http://www.boxingscene.com/victor-ortiz-survival-fittest--13521

Thanks for the link.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:06 pm

The Berto fight should give him the confidence to go on and win other big fights.Ortiz has occasionally lost his confidence and almost gave up when knocked down in fights in the past.But in Berto fight he showed tons of heart picking himself up from canvas twice and going on to win a comfortable UD hes a total different fighter to when he fought Maidana.A very powerful man with a hard background but a big future.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down