The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gethin Jenkins might be leaving Toulon to return to Wales

+9
thebluesmancometh
Smirnoffpriest
XR
bedfordwelsh
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
LeinsterFan4life
formerly known as Sam
maestegmafia
13 posters

Go down

Gethin Jenkins might be leaving Toulon to return to Wales Empty Gethin Jenkins might be leaving Toulon to return to Wales

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Nov 2012, 6:07 pm

According to Midi Olympique, Wales and Toulon loosehead prop Gethin Jenkins is reportedly looking to quit the French club by the end of 2012.

Jenkins has been limited to a small number of starting appearances since he joined Toulon, battling it out with former England international Andrew Sheridan for the number one jersey.

With his playing opportunities limited and a reportedly unhappy relationship with Toulon boss Bernard Laporte, Jenkins is keen to return to his former club, Cardiff Blues, in the coming weeks.

Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal has stated that Jenkins will remain with the club until his contract expires in June 2014, but it is believed he will not rule out releasing Jenkins and replacing him.

Jenkins featured off the bench for Wales in their defeat on Friday to Samoa and should start ahead of Paul James against New Zealand this week, in what will be his 93rd appearance for his country.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Gethin Jenkins might be leaving Toulon to return to Wales Empty Re: Gethin Jenkins might be leaving Toulon to return to Wales

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:07 pm

Another player learns that a big pay cheque and the sunshine of France isn't necessarily the key to happiness. If he returns it might give other Welsh internationals pause for thought before they pack their bags.

He'll be a great addition for whichever region gets him.

Depending on who Toulon can get to replace him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Gethin Jenkins might be leaving Toulon to return to Wales Empty Re: Gethin Jenkins might be leaving Toulon to return to Wales

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:21 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Another player learns that a big pay cheque and the sunshine of France isn't necessarily the key to happiness. If he returns it might give other Welsh internationals pause for thought before they pack their bags.

I can see Heinke van der Merve going to Toulon now. He's out of contract with leinster at the end of the season.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:48 pm

Makes sense. Swap the Leinster bench for the Toulon padded seats. If you're happy playing seco.d fiddle to a top loosehead you might as well get the biggest pay cheque you can whilst acquiring the splinters.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:53 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Makes sense. Swap the Leinster bench for the Toulon padded seats. If you're happy playing seco.d fiddle to a top loosehead you might as well get the biggest pay cheque you can whilst acquiring the splinters.
I would rate Heinke higher than Sheridan.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:09 am

Andrew Sheridan must be near retirement and I thought Jenkins was the better player and should starting,

Be good if he came back to Wales, the regions need a bit of a boost, everything written about them recently is negative, a class NWQ player would be a boost to, I actually think Italy could have better non nation qualifed players than the regions

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:45 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Another player learns that a big pay cheque and the sunshine of France isn't necessarily the key to happiness. If he returns it might give other Welsh internationals pause for thought before they pack their bags.

Not too sure that is true. He is unfortunately prone to missing out lumps of the season either through injury or international call ups. The Ospreys have two good loosehead props in Ryan Bevington and Duncan Jones, and the Scarelts have two good young prostects in Rhodri Jones and Rob Evans, so honestly value for money he wouldn't be of benifit to either of those two sides. The Dragons would love to sign him, but IMO would need to cull halff their squad in order to be meet his wage bill. So that realistically only leaves the Blues as on option (and probably they are the only side he would want to play for anyhow) and it seems that things are not too stable at the Blues right now (coaching/money).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 21 Nov 2012, 11:16 am

Kingshu wrote:Andrew Sheridan must be near retirement and I thought Jenkins was the better player and should starting,

Be good if he came back to Wales, the regions need a bit of a boost, everything written about them recently is negative, a class NWQ player would be a boost to, I actually think Italy could have better non nation qualifed players than the regions

King,

Jenkins was never as destructive as Sheridan in the scrum and thats what the French like. Jenkins' strength was always his all round game and work rate
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 21 Nov 2012, 11:46 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Kingshu wrote:Andrew Sheridan must be near retirement and I thought Jenkins was the better player and should starting,

King,

Jenkins was never as destructive as Sheridan in the scrum and thats what the French like. Jenkins' strength was always his all round game and work rate

+1, Jenkins is not a scrummaging prop, which was evident againt Samoa. He is a very good tackler, jackler, link man, and ocationally kicker, but sadly those are not the primary job of a prop.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 21 Nov 2012, 1:09 pm

I would welcome him back but if he really wants to come back, i think we should play some hard ball and see if we can get him back on a reduced contract. With the salary cap and financial position of the region mixed with a desire to return (if it's true and, let's face it - it's the western mail who last week said we're going for hook...for the umpteenth time) gives us a great bargaining angle.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Nov 2012, 4:16 pm

I did hear a rumour last week that as the Blues offered 300k to Roberts (which obviously won't be needed now) they have that plus another 200k to put towards new players and apparently Geth is one of them.

I think him plus Borrust could help provide a decent platform to their scrum (with Bradley and Reed/Patterson/Cook behind them).

Would also be a positive boost for the regions/Blues to counter the negativity.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 21 Nov 2012, 5:52 pm

I think I remember that I heard the 500k thing (300k+200k) from Cardiff Dave on another thread

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Nov 2012, 5:58 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20423285

Jenkins move is off...! According to RC Toulon

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:52 pm

It will be on/off for the rest of the season too, according to Toulon he isn't going anywhere, according to his agent he's unhappy with being at Toulon, and according to his family he's struggling in France, they are all angling toward what they want to happen!!

IMHO he can go wherever he likes apart from the Blues! He's not needed, Hobbs going to go from strength to strength and Andrews will finally show why so many around him praise him so much this season!!

If we have 500k to spend I suggest a total rework of the squad instead of just squandering it on too many poor quality players!

Focus on the players who play the whole season for the blues, treat the international players as a HC treat to use every now and then and most importantly only spend money on good NWQ players, Kryciou, Borrust etc just don't cut it!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:36 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I think I remember that I heard the 500k thing (300k+200k) from Cardiff Dave on another thread

It was in The Rugby Paper, we offered him 300k but also have an additional 500k. I imagine now we'll have the 500k and what was being offered to Roberts will be split up and put on other contracts (I hope)

thebluesmancometh wrote:most importantly only spend money on good NWQ players, Kryciou, Borrust etc just don't cut it!!

Bourrust is our best tight head and has missed the last couple of games but when he's played he's made a difference so don't know what you mean. Kyriacou isn't anything special but he does one thing that no other Hooker the blues has had, he hits his man consistently in the line out. Ok as a back up. But i do agree we need a top calibre NWQ, maybe two, in the spine of the pack - a second row to partner bradley and a number 8.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:38 am

gcBlues wrote:and a number 8.

Why not Copeland?

he looked head and shoulder s better than Pretorious who frankly has not impressed me in the slightest.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:08 am

Copeland has done well but as he's irish, i fear that if he continues as he started and gets better it won't be long til the IRFU snap him up.

Pretorious is a funny one, he was a stand out player when he broke in to the team and then got injured, this was while playing 6. Now he's an 8 and everything seems to have just fizzled out. He'll find it tough if copeland continues as he does and when Patterson comes back in at 6, he's the one that should have been made captain IMO

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Thu 22 Nov 2012, 4:03 pm

Jenkins move was never on. If the Blues management have any sense then they will stay well away from GETHIN im afraid to take the hit JENKINS.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 5:05 pm

gcBlues wrote:Copeland has done well but as he's irish, i fear that if he continues as he started and gets better it won't be long til the IRFU snap him up.

Pretorious is a funny one, he was a stand out player when he broke in to the team and then got injured, this was while playing 6. Now he's an 8 and everything seems to have just fizzled out. He'll find it tough if copeland continues as he does and when Patterson comes back in at 6, he's the one that should have been made captain IMO

They could do without Pretorious, keep Copeland and wait on the lads coming through. Hamilton looks very good, kind of an Alix Popham type.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 22 Nov 2012, 7:09 pm

Jenkins would be really good at this level, at least for another two seasons. If he returned and they finally get a good TH (or keep Borrust) then their team is starting to look good again.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:20 pm

If I remember rightly (and subject to media error), Jenkins was quoted as saying that when his Blues contract came up for renewal he was actually offered something like 30% less to stay due to budget cuts, etc. If true, obviously a no brainer why he left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:19 pm

Anyone remember what happened in the EDF final against Gloucester at Twicken 'em when Filise was subbed?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:47 pm

Griff wrote:If I remember rightly (and subject to media error), Jenkins was quoted as saying that when his Blues contract came up for renewal he was actually offered something like 30% less to stay due to budget cuts, etc. If true, obviously a no brainer why he left.

because he fancied divulging himself into a new culture and try to pick up a foreign language? The food is good too. So are the 22,000 fans turning up every week.

Not just money that motivates players to move.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Anyone remember what happened in the EDF final against Gloucester at Twicken 'em when Filise was subbed?

What? I thought the penalty try was a lot sooner. And that was Gethins fault now was it?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:46 am

As much as I love Gethin (and trust me I do, he was my favourite player growing up) it'd be moronic for the Blues to move for him for that much money.

He is no longer worth that much cash, and with it could bolster their front row, as well as a new centre or wing witha bit of spark.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down