The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haye's "Army" of Fans Will Invade Hamburg

+9
oxring
Union Cane
AZZJ44
Fists of Fury
Rowley
Scottrf
azania
coxy0001
AlexHuckerby
13 posters

Go down

Haye's "Army" of Fans Will Invade Hamburg Empty Haye's "Army" of Fans Will Invade Hamburg

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 21 Apr 2011, 8:36 am

"We're going to have an army of Brits invading Germany on July 2nd, and I can't wait to sample the atmosphere, personally I wasn't bothered where the fight ended up. I'd fight Wladimir anywhere, so long as the location comes with a ring and a referee that can count to ten. By the time I've finished with Wladimir, he won't know where he is anyway!"

Typical David Haye with his quick little comments, I guess you have to give him credit for putting himself on the line, but the main point I was wondering is how many fans has David Haye really got? I mean he is very much Marmite, you love him or hate him, his big bold comments have shocked, appalled and amused some of us:
"This fight is going to be as one sided as a gang Cuddle"
But how many people are going to buy the fight? Considering Haye v Harrison did so well at the Box Office you would assume extremely well, however has Haye v Harrison hurt his credentials considering 750,000 people tuned in hoping to see a classic and well... You all saw... Could this cut his PPV Numbers down?

He has been on various talk shows (Graham Norton, Alan Carr to name a couple) getting himself more known to the wider public and he is clearly a big selling point. I mean I'm not coming onto him here but he is very good looking has a very good way with words (Up for debate) and has done the goods when it counts. Also he hasn't just done them, but has done them in emphatic fashion, knockouts all over the place.

But I just wonder how many people are really interested in the fight because the casual fan is going to be wary of the last time they got sucked into his big fight talk... Clearly a big fight, but could it actually be a record breaker? I am not being skeptical, because I think the fight will do well, but if this goes wrong then Haye Vs. Vitali might end up being a dud. (Providing haye beats Wlad)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Haye's "Army" of Fans Will Invade Hamburg Empty Re: Haye's "Army" of Fans Will Invade Hamburg

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 8:49 am

Can see it now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvr6X054xLY

Also add to that and 15 pints of Stella with the football oik element thinking this is a "us against them" scenario and the small minority of said oiks disgracing themselves.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Haye's "Army" of Fans Will Invade Hamburg Empty Re: Haye's "Army" of Fans Will Invade Hamburg

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 8:54 am

It takes two to tango and Audley didn't fancy a tango with Haye. I dont think that would harm the PPV figures. I expect more buys that the Audley "fight" seeing as this is a genuine unification fight with Haye the underdog.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:00 am

Az

Also be interesting to see what time ring walks are and whethe they have to start late due to the American's picking it up etc.

Because they're ahead of us, in terms of time, right? By 1 hour isn't it?

Am praying they start at their usual time, so it's like a 10pm GMT ringwalk. I'm thinking cricket then a load of beer, anyone know how much a PPV costs for club licenses?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:06 am

coxy0001 wrote:Am praying they start at their usual time, so it's like a 10pm GMT ringwalk. I'm thinking cricket then a load of beer, anyone know how much a PPV costs for club licenses?
Depends on the size, but in the hundreds.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

Cricket Club

Max Capacity standing is about 175 or something...?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:19 am

Cricket? That's about as entertaining as watching Audley fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:20 am

Oh I don't know it in that detail, but I think somewhere from a couple of hundred for somewhere small like that, Walkabout or somewhere would probably pay over a grand.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:26 am

azania wrote:Cricket? That's about as entertaining as watching Audley fight.

Only for those with no attention span!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:34 am

coxy0001 wrote:

Philistines the lot of em Coxy. Cricket is sport for gentlemen and scholars. Apart from 20-20 which is cricket for halfwits

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:47 am

rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

Philistines the lot of em Coxy. Cricket is sport for gentlemen and scholars. Apart from 20-20 which is cricket for halfwits

Well said Jeff, looking forward to this summers test matches, gonna get myself down to Edgbaston for the India test.

However, on a boxing note, I think this fight will do massive PPV, and disagree with the OP with regard to people tuning into the Audley fight 'expecting a classic'. I think it was more a case of tuning in in anticipation of Audley getting a beating to be honest.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:50 am

alma wrote:i think the problem here is that Haye no longer considers himself the underdog. Ironically part of the success of the Valuev fight was the whole David v Goliath pitch, with the casual fan thinking that Valuev was in fact a great heavyweight and that Haye was risking a beating. Coupled with the Audley debacle and the fact that the average Joe doesn't have a clue who Wladimir Klitschko is and the casual punter might think twice. Of course Haye is hardly going to big the Klitschkos up after all he has said about them, but the fact he is stating he is dead cert to win might put people off.

Ironic really, as I believe he will get creamed in about 9 rounds

There's nothing ironic about David Haye and yourself having different opinions

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:12 am

rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

When a game is named after an insect you know you're in trouble.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:17 am

azania wrote:
rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

It was actually called crekket in the 1600s and the sport apparently originated from deep Netherlands with a Flemmish influence to the name as well.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:18 am

azania wrote:
rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

The derivation of the name "Cricket" can't be tied down precisely. However, there are a couple of possibilities:
It may be named after the bat - in Old French criquet means a kind of club, in Middle Dutch crick(e), means a stick, in Old English Crycc means a crutch or staff - although crycc would have probably have been pronounced Crich. Alternatively, it may be named after the wicket - krickstoel is a long low stool which resembles the early form of wicket (with two stumps). It could also have been from when shepherds played with their staffs or crooks so you had to 'Crook it' (gradually turning into 'Cricket').
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:19 am

Have I wondered onto Wikipedia by mistake?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:20 am

I thought everyone knew that...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:21 am

Genuinely az - I could have guessed you wouldn't be a cricket fan. Do you like everything to be over quickly, crude and not requiring of instructions? Wink
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:25 am

oxring wrote:Genuinely az - I could have guessed you wouldn't be a cricket fan. Do you like everything to be over quickly, crude and not requiring of instructions? Wink

I should imagine that az loves instructions, and especially when delivered by a leather clad goddess brandishing a bullwhip and leash.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:27 am

coxy0001 wrote:
azania wrote:
rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

It was actually called crekket in the 1600s and the sport apparently originated from deep Netherlands with a Flemmish influence to the name as well.

It's still bloody dull though...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:40 am

Brits love underdog fights take Mayweather vs Hatton for e.g its also a unification bout with the best two heavyweights in the world most people knew how bad Fraudley was it was only the odd few who liked his chances.With Wladamir and Haye alot of people believe in Haye and alot believe in Wladamir.There also hasn't been a big heavyweight unification fight in years so should bring in even more viewers.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:41 am

oxring wrote:Genuinely az - I could have guessed you wouldn't be a cricket fan. Do you like everything to be over quickly, crude and not requiring of instructions? Wink

Speaking to Mrs Az again oxy? Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:42 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

I should imagine that az loves instructions, and especially when delivered by a leather clad goddess brandishing a bullwhip and leash.

I'm not a Tory MP. Rolling Eyes

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:57 am

Liam_Main4 wrote:Brits love underdog fights take Mayweather vs Hatton for e.g its also a unification bout with the best two heavyweights in the world most people knew how bad Fraudley was it was only the odd few who liked his chances.With Wladamir and Haye alot of people believe in Haye and alot believe in Wladamir.There also hasn't been a big heavyweight unification fight in years so should bring in even more viewers.

Most Brits I talked to didnt seem to think Hatton was the underdog!

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 21 Apr 2011, 11:54 am

Any of you lads planning a trip out to Hamburg? Me and some mates booked up our flights and hotel last night, about £250 all in for flight and a stay on the Friday and Saturday night, not too bad, though I'd be interested to know what prices others got!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 11:55 am

Sounds like you have done well there, unfortunately I'm on holiday or would make the trip.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 21 Apr 2011, 11:56 am

manos de piedra wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:Brits love underdog fights take Mayweather vs Hatton for e.g its also a unification bout with the best two heavyweights in the world most people knew how bad Fraudley was it was only the odd few who liked his chances.With Wladamir and Haye alot of people believe in Haye and alot believe in Wladamir.There also hasn't been a big heavyweight unification fight in years so should bring in even more viewers.

Most Brits I talked to didnt seem to think Hatton was the underdog!

Casual boxing fans yes but not big fight fans like you and me.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 21 Apr 2011, 11:59 am

Scottrf wrote:Sounds like you have done well there, unfortunately I'm on holiday or would make the trip.

Yeah, looking forward to it. Thought we would get in quick before the prices went through the roof...and the added bonus of it being in Hamburg is that, (god forbid) the fight were to be cancelled, it is still meant to be a top city for a weekend, and also plays host to the biggest red light district in Europe, or so I'm told angel

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 21 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Sounds like you have done well there, unfortunately I'm on holiday or would make the trip.

Yeah, looking forward to it. Thought we would get in quick before the prices went through the roof...and the added bonus of it being in Hamburg is that, (god forbid) the fight were to be cancelled, it is still meant to be a top city for a weekend, and also plays host to the biggest red light district in Europe, or so I'm told angel

Hmm... I wonder what some people will be doign after the fight... randy

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down