The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ferrer's Best Year

+7
invisiblecoolers
slashermcguirk
lydian
laverfan
User 774433
Haddie-nuff
Henman Bill
11 posters

Go down

Ferrer's Best Year Empty Ferrer's Best Year

Post by Henman Bill Sat 03 Nov 2012, 6:18 pm

At the age of 30, David Ferrer is having the best year of his career. If you carefully review this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ferrer_career_statistics then you can see that this is not in doubt. His 2011 wasn't bad either, but his 2012 has been very solid indeed.

His slam record this year, QF-SF-QF-SF, is easily the best of his career, and he never reached a final. His masters record this year will be the best ever if he wins Paris, and about on a par with last year if he doesn't. (He has never won a Masters.)

He won six titles this year in Auckland, Buenos Aires, Acapulco, Hertgensbosch, Bastad and Valencia. At least most of those are slow courts, but it would be notable if achieves a title here in Paris as well on a faster court. That's twice as many as in any any year, and 35% of the titles of his career so far. He may yet add Paris, and perhaps the Davis Cup too (I assume he is playing in the final away to the Czech Republic.)

It suprised me how well he did on hard in recent years. I remember after a strong 2007 his results in 2008 weren't good, especially on the faster surfaces, I suspected after that he would only do well on clay in the latter years of his career, so his 2011-2012 hard court results have been very impressive and probably won locker room respect.

His career has lacked a top title though, either Barcelona or a 1000+, and so tomorrow he will be favourite to change that. We will see. But statistically he has had the best year of his career even if he doesn't win another match. He may yet disappoint at the world tour finals, but you can't blaming for focusing on this week, with the chance to win the biggest title at the year. The WTF is not something he is likely to win, and he has the Davis Cup a week after I think.

Anyway, what a good year for a 30 year old. Not sure what that says about the tour, maybe not that much? Just a good year for him. Or more fuel to the argument that breakthrough and peak ages are moving to a bit older than before. Or that there not enough young players around at the moment?

The only negative note was his possible connection to the doctor implicated in the Armstrong scandal, but he has denied knowing this person, and there is nothing concrete to link them.

He sees his first serve and forehand as his main weapons, but I think it's his court coverage and consistency. Actually, I don't like players like that, that just keep getting the ball in until you miss. So not my favourite. Although the way he has played on this faster court, beating Warwinka, Tsonga and Llodra, has been impressive. At least the results have, only seen bits and pieces of the matches but just watched half of his last match and he was hitting winners and volleys and passing shots.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Ferrer's Best Year Empty Re: Ferrer's Best Year

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 03 Nov 2012, 6:35 pm

And as a person whose humility is only surpassed by his patriotism and loyalty to his country which is to his credit. Im pleased for the little man who has worked so very very hard to arrive at the place he is now. Albeit so late in his career- No one deserves it more. Good luck Daveed the Giant Killer Vamos para la mañana

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 03 Nov 2012, 8:41 pm

Superb article as usual HB.

As I was saying earlier, Ferrer is actually very talented. He is huge underrated on that part, this may be due to the fact he doesn't have a big serve or 'go for broke' in big moments.
Out of the top 4 his game is the most like Djokovic.

Ferrer has a brilliant return of the first serve, his BH CC is very good, and his forehand is very accurate, precise.
Mentally he is very focused, but there are periods when he is just totally out-played and he can't seem to do anything.
This I believe is a bis weakness in his game, he doesn't really have a Plan B.

Overall though, I am convinced he is extremely underrated, he is far better than people give him credit for.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 03 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

I would love to see Daveed win this title. Janowicz would also create history. Good luck to both.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 03 Nov 2012, 8:55 pm

All top pros are vey talented...you don't end up in the top 50 or so by chance.

Ferrer is one of the best returners and his technique although not as esoteric as say Federer or Nadal is nonetheless rock solid under pressure and he's improved his serve out of sight.

However, he gets help from huge tech gains...
1. He uses a specially extended 28.5 inch long Prince EX03 - that's 1.5 inch longer than a normal racquet, and an inch longer than stock EX03, to give him much more reach
2. Low string tension with Lux original...massive power and spin
3. Prince EX03 has 100sqin head and 8 points headlight...massive sweet spot and spin
4. Huge swingweight...even his huge wristbands purposefully add to the swingweight. He's probably up near SW 400 grams so the weight coupled with racquet length gives him huge kinetic force

That racquet set up gives Ferrer huge power gains from what he had years ago. Giving him massive leaps in shot-making ability, especially on serve...I bet he wouldn't get as many winners from Llodra's volleys today vs 6-7 years ago. However, he needs talent to swing the stick as well as he does of course...and his brand of baseline game requires rock solid mental strength to execute because he can't rely on easy put away power even with that racquet set-up.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat 03 Nov 2012, 9:19 pm

I have so much respect for ferrer. Doesn't really have one big weopan but is so solid all round and puts absolutely everything into every match. I hope he wins tomorrow, the guy deserves a masters title and would like to see him reach a slam final some day. Also, he seems like a top bloke and popular with the other players.

Hard not to admire what he has achieved

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 03 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm

He has played TMC finals (in 2007 against Federer), probably the most hard-working player of all other hard-working players.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 04 Nov 2012, 12:26 am

Ferrer is a fantastic character, I love his "Never say Die" policy, its time we open the threads "who the best tennis player to have not won the slam" Very Happy

Go DF go.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 04 Nov 2012, 12:51 am

ferrer wouldn't come close for me

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:05 am

LuvSports! wrote:ferrer wouldn't come close for me

Obviously coz he got so many beautiful girls to catch his attention. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:35 am

I'm surprised at the level of love for Ferrer here. Not that that I think he should be disliked, he seems a really nice guy, but I find his tennis very uninspiring.

I'll definitely be rooting for JJ today. I think it will be far better for the game for a big title to go to a 21 year old playing that style of tennis.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 04 Nov 2012, 9:34 am

Well JJ is 21yrs old and already has made his mark and has his whole future in front of him. Frankly Ferrer is now in the twilight of his career and for me I would dearly love to see him win it. Uninspiring tennis you may think but imo his tenacity is an inspiration in itself. His behavior on and off court is to his credit. He has given much to the sport and is a great role model for those following him...he is living proof of what can be achieved through hard work and self belief. I would watch Ferrer´s uninspiring tennis any day to Raonic

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:40 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:

what are you on about??

There are way better players imho that haven't won slams than ferrer.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 04 Nov 2012, 11:30 am

That may well be the case and I wouldn´t argue.. but have they deserved it more. Nalbandian is a instance is he not ?? with such inate talent he SHOULD have won a GS. But he didn´t deserve to.. he wasted it.
Had he had Ferrer´s work ethic.. mindset and determination he would have.
So what makes a good player ?? Tennis talent is not always enough imo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

LuvSports! wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

what are you on about??

There are way better players imho that haven't won slams than ferrer.

Yup, agreed, but atleast he could be in the mix of discussion.

Rios in my view tops the list and others that could feature in the list are Soderling, Nalby, Davydenko , Tsonga ,Berdych and Haas, now I would include Ferrer in it as well. Fortunately we don't have Murray's name in it any more. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 04 Nov 2012, 5:01 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Well JJ is 21yrs old and already has made his mark and has his whole future in front of him. Frankly Ferrer is now in the twilight of his career and for me I would dearly love to see him win it. Uninspiring tennis you may think but imo his tenacity is an inspiration in itself. His behavior on and off court is to his credit. He has given much to the sport and is a great role model for those following him...he is living proof of what can be achieved through hard work and self belief. I would watch Ferrer´s uninspiring tennis any day to Raonic

Aptly summarized. Ferrer might have a boring grinding style but he compensates it with a never say die attitude and his conduct on and off the court. One cannot train a kid to be like Federer , even if they ask them to play that way [coz talent do come naturally] but what can be trained his hardwork and work ethics for which Ferrer will be a perfect role model.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 04 Nov 2012, 6:06 pm

Very glad to see Ferrer have a MS in his portfolio.

@HMM... Rochus is another player I like. In the land of giants, some impressive Davids.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:45 pm

lydian wrote:All top pros are vey talented...you don't end up in the top 50 or so by chance.

Ferrer is one of the best returners and his technique although not as esoteric as say Federer or Nadal is nonetheless rock solid under pressure and he's improved his serve out of sight.

1. He uses a specially extended 28.5 inch long Prince EX03 - that's 1.5 inch longer than a normal racquet, and an inch longer than stock EX03, to give him much more reach
3. Prince EX03 has 100sqin head and 8 points headlight...massive sweet spot and spin
4. Huge swingweight...even his huge wristbands purposefully add to the swingweight. He's probably up near SW 400 grams so the weight coupled with racquet length gives him huge kinetic force

That racquet set up gives Ferrer huge power gains from what he had years ago. Giving him massive leaps in shot-making ability, especially on serve...I bet he wouldn't get as many winners from Llodra's volleys today vs 6-7 years ago. However, he needs talent to swing the stick as well as he does of course...and his brand of baseline game requires rock solid mental strength to execute because he can't rely on easy put away power even with that racquet set-up.

This is an interesting comment. Has he taken advantage of technology that he had not fully taken advantage of years ago, even though it was available? Or has he benefited more from improvements in the last 5-10 years that he had been slow to use earlier on his career? Why would technology benefit him and add to his longevity more than other players?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 04 Nov 2012, 11:34 pm

I have a sneaky feeling that Ferrer might win WTF as well. Rolling Eyes

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 04 Nov 2012, 11:40 pm

Henman Bill wrote:
lydian wrote:All top pros are vey talented...you don't end up in the top 50 or so by chance.

This is an interesting comment. Has he taken advantage of technology that he had not fully taken advantage of years ago, even though it was available? Or has he benefited more from improvements in the last 5-10 years that he had been slow to use earlier on his career? Why would technology benefit him and add to his longevity more than other players?
Because its a leveller, or more correctly it suits his style of running and baseline tedium.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 05 Nov 2012, 12:00 am

Ferrer played some pretty intelligent and good net points today.

Hopefully JJ can build on his success today (he jumped 43 places to #26) and continue to play well on other surfaces.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 10 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

Very credible effort at the world tour finals as well, 2 wins and 1 defeat, could hardly expect more after his tough week the week before and the Davis Cup coming up. Unlucky to be eliminated.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 12 Nov 2012, 2:07 pm

The splendidy consistent, never-say-die, spirited David Ferrer shows that you don't have to be a 7ft giant to do well at tennis.
But for the presence of four great players, Ferrer would be even higher in the rankings. Expect more wholehearted stuff from him in 2013.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down