The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ASHTON IS Controversial

+16
Hood83
Rinsure
Effervescing Elephant
beshocked
Breadvan
HQ matt
damage_13
yappysnap
EngInAuck
Manu's Boxing Coach
George Carlin
maestegmafia
anotherworldofpain
Portnoy's Complaint
ChequeredJersey
gregortree
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ASHTON IS Controversial Empty ASHTON IS Controversial

Post by gregortree Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:27 am

"Saracens wing Chris Ashton is to appear at an RFU Disciplinary Hearing today (Wednesday, October 31) for receiving three yellow cards for foul play this season.
He received a post-match Level One citing – treated in the regulations as a yellow card for the totting up system – for a dangerous tackle on Vasily Artemyev in last Saturday's Aviva Premiership match at Northampton Saints.
Earlier this season he was shown yellow cards for dangerous charging in the matches against London Irish (September 1) and Exeter Chiefs (September 23).
The panel of His Honour Judge Jeff Blackett, Jeremy Summers and Peter Budge will consider the matter at the London Bloomsbury Holiday Inn (7pm)."
Shocked

gregortree

Back to top Go down

ASHTON IS Controversial Empty Re: ASHTON IS Controversial

Post by gregortree Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

So .. let us calmly judge this matter over a cup of tea in Bloomsbury. cuppa

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:38 am

If it's a one week ban vs Fiji then that's fine by me.

It means Ashton will not miss the much bigger games such as Australia,South Africa,New Zealand and Munster x2.

I hope the RFU don't decide to try and scupper Saracens' chances in the HC as they have in the past.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:48 am

I'd like to see Sharples on the wing vs Fiji. This would suit his straight speed and hopefuly build some confidence for Australia match.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:48 am

If Ashton misses Fiji, who gets called up?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

Wade hopefully. Also it would mean he would miss the game on the weekend. Whistle

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

Isn't this thread more relevant to the Club section?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:56 am

Why greytiger? It looks like Ashton will be banned for the Fiji game which is an international game.

I just hope the RFU doesn't ban him at all or he just missed the Fiji game.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 31 Oct 2012, 2:01 pm

Because all of the YCs relate to Jeff games. That's where the crime scene is.

The International aspect is coincidental.

The rubbish thing is that v2 hives it's its discussions off into discrete sections so that people can't monitor individual posts as they come in and note/respond/comment as they desire. All interested parties can keep abreast of their input(s) through 'my posts'

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 31 Oct 2012, 2:37 pm

INteresting to compare with Quade Cooper's AUS$60,000 fine and suspension...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 4:53 pm

Ashton has been infront of the panel before for hair pulling and bad behaviour at the RWC. Blankett won't take kindly to seeing him infront of them yet again.

How was his last ban four weeks I think for dragging Tuilagi off by his hair.

He's a spiteful player and needs discipline.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:05 pm

maestegmafia what bad behaviour at the world cup? The media have blown things out of proportion because that's what they do.

Ashton is an easy target because he's high profile. If it was another player would they be dragged in front of the citing commissioner? Probably not.

It's interesting that pulling someone's hair get you 4 weeks whereas clotheslining someone then punching them gets you only 5 weeks.

I hope it's only 1 week ban as it should be. Wouldn't surprise me if Blackett put on as many weeks onto the ban as he could though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

beshocked wrote:maestegmafia what bad behaviour at the world cup?
He told a hotel worker that she couldn't have her radio back unless she gave him oral sex.

beshocked wrote:The media have blown things out of proportion because that's what they do.
I would say that is unacceptable behaviour and the media is right for criticising him, Hartley and Haskell for their behaviour.

Transcript:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8917064/England-controversy-What-really-happened-in-room-510-with-James-Haskell-Dylan-Hartley-and-Chris-Ashton.html

beshocked wrote:Ashton is an easy target because he's high profile. If it was another player would they be dragged in front of the citing commissioner? Probably not.
It is a new mandate by most leagues to encourage good behaviour, three yellows equal a hearing.

beshocked wrote:It's interesting that pulling someone's hair get you 4 weeks whereas clotheslining someone then punching them gets you only 5 weeks.
Pulling a player off the pitch by his hair in a high profile premiership headlining game between Saints and Tigers is appalling behaviour.

beshocked wrote:I hope it's only 1 week ban as it should be. Wouldn't surprise me if Blackett put on as many weeks onto the ban as he could though.
It is likely a one week ban. But to be honest Ashton is always in trouble, the RFU need to discipline him. This is the fourth time he has been in front of Blankett, first with Saracens, three previous while at Saints.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:45 pm

Maes, I think it was Haskell not Ashton with the hotel worker's walkie talkie and the crass 'down under' offer. Not classy of course, but not Ashton.

Meanwhile back home, Ashton does not exactly have an exemplary record in the Jeff, so His Honour will bear the 'previous' in mind. Which I hope may bring a further England opportunity to Sharples.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

I think the only thing that's controversial about Ashton is the debate about the size of the tool that he seems to be. Why can't he just reign himself in?

I think that we'll need him on the Lions tour and I'm worried that the silly sod will get himself carded at a crucial moment.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

I thought the complaint by the hotel worker was dismissed as un reliable and not actually true? I know there were serious doubts about it but if anyone does no better please do tell.

On the subject of Ashton I have always liked the feller. Obviously some of his actions have been stupid and I agree with maes that he does need to eradicate it from his game. 3 yellow cards this season isnt acceptable and he should be punished. But IMO he gets un warranted flack he is portrayed as someone who is quite sinister and could potentially "ruin" the Lions spirit on the upcoming tour but in any interview I see him in he seems to be a genuine and nice guy. He seems to be more foolhardy and naive than actually having any malice.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:48 pm

gregortree wrote:Maes, I think it was Haskell not Ashton with the hotel worker's walkie talkie and the crass 'down under' offer. Not classy of course, but not Ashton.

Meanwhile back home, Ashton does not exactly have an exemplary record in the Jeff, so His Honour will bear the 'previous' in mind. Which I hope may bring a further England opportunity to Sharples.

I posted the transcript of what was said and what happened. Please read it. It was published by The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8917064/England-controversy-What-really-happened-in-room-510-with-James-Haskell-Dylan-Hartley-and-Chris-Ashton.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Oct 2012, 7:54 pm

Three yellows and 9-10 games into the season?
That's a worrying stat considering they all appear when he is put under the slightest bit pressure in defence.

No Lions tour spot if he continued this weak trend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
gregortree wrote:Maes, I think it was Haskell not Ashton with the hotel worker's walkie talkie and the crass 'down under' offer. Not classy of course, but not Ashton.

I posted the transcript of what was said and what happened. Please read it. It was published by The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8917064/England-controversy-What-really-happened-in-room-510-with-James-Haskell-Dylan-Hartley-and-Chris-Ashton.html

I just read it maes. And I'm appalled. Honestly appalled.

Dickheads like that don't deserve to represent my country.

Trouble is that most likely dickheads like that probably represent every country.
Like the time when the Oz were snowed into a Welsh hotel with Erika Roe...

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:12 pm

They should all be given a year ban to grow up. Bunch of children. The kind of appalling spectacle I'd expect from drunken teenage Chavs on a cheap stag to blackpool.

Hideous that the RFU covered up for them. The rot goes all the way to the top clearly.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:19 pm

greytiger wrote:
Trouble is that most likely dickheads like that probably represent every country.
Like the time when the Oz were snowed into a Welsh hotel with Erika Roe...
I don't doubt it.

Ooooh Erica Roe, now thats someone who really put rugby on the map.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:21 pm

Be at peace awop.

This kind of behaviour is confined exclusively to England.

I think.

Reportedly.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:34 pm

I'm sure it's not an English thing GT, but a consequence of immaturity poorly managed. The team management should not have allowed opportunities for such dangerously prejudicial behaviour.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:43 pm

greytiger wrote:Be at peace awop.

This kind of behaviour is confined exclusively to England.

I think.

Reportedly.

Probably not, stories about every country doing this. It's a self-entitled arrogant thing, which schools should get out of their rugby players long before any management at a professional level occurs. Unfortunately, just like with footballers, they often don't. Being good at a sport doesn't give you the right to be a naughty naughty boy
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

Seeing as we are bringing up Controversies that have been discussed and dealt with previously Heres some things we can also debate ........

Manu jumping off a ferry

Mike Phillips getting in a fight outside McDonalds (Or turning up to training hung over)

Danny Care Urinating in the street ( Or drink Driving)

Powel going for a drive in a golf Buggy (Or fighting in a Pub)

Gavin Henson ___________ (Fill the gap with what you Choose)

Mike Tindall throwing Dwarfs

Lawrence Dallaglio boasting about Selling/Using Cocaine

Warbatons Red Card

Burgers Eye Gouge in the Lions Series

That tackle on Brian O'Driscol

New Zealands JWC 2012 after party

Ect........

Seriously change the Broken Record

The whole thing was blown out of proportion by a Girl looking for some quick $$$, it wasnt the first time a Sports star has been screwed over this way and it wont be the last.

Back to the OP

Ashtons behaviour on field this year hasn't been upto standard and if he is given a week ban i dont think anyone can argue. But i think it culd be a blessing is disguise it could give us a chance to fast track Jason Rob....... i mean Wade into international rugby Yahoo

EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:28 pm

Erm. The girl wasn't looking for $$$ evidently. Sorry, but the evidence proves this.

And you can't compare a red card for a tackle during a game with this childish and masoginistic carry on.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Wed 31 Oct 2012, 9:49 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Erm. The girl wasn't looking for $$$ evidently. Sorry, but the evidence proves this.

Perhaps i jumped the gun by saying she was deffinatly looking for quick $$$ but we do not know the Context of the transcript , what happened between all those involved before the transcript or indeed after.

anotherworldofpain wrote: you can't compare a red card for a tackle during a game with this childish and masoginistic carry on.

But i can compare this story to all the other things ive mentioned ?!

My point was we have been over and over and over and over and over and over this last year. And people stated their points and argued and people disagreed at the end. So if we are going to bring up this story , lets go the full 9 yards and bring up every controversial story .....

I forgot to add.....

Quade it the anti-christ.

Mccaws Flying Knee to Parras head.

Rogueries Eye Gouge on Mccaw.

(feel free to add your own)

Or......

Shall we go back on topic and discuss Ashtons Yellow Cards this Season. OK

EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm

Blimey I started reading this thread and thought it'd be really boring, then the usual suspects turned up and proved me wrong.

Cheers for the entertainment gents.

BTW the verdicts come in and Ashton got a 1 week ban so will miss Fiji.

So I assume we'll see a Monye, Sharples, Goode combination. Which seems pretty lame when I look at it now.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Nov 2012, 1:08 am

greytiger wrote:The rubbish thing is that v2 hives it's its discussions off into discrete sections so that people can't monitor individual posts as they come in and note/respond/comment as they desire. All interested parties can keep abreast of their input(s) through 'my posts'

Quite right Portnoy. Down with that sort of thing. Silly discrete sections.

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:49 am

EngInAuck wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Erm. The girl wasn't looking for $$$ evidently. Sorry, but the evidence proves this.

Perhaps i jumped the gun by saying she was deffinatly looking for quick $$$ but we do not know the Context of the transcript , what happened between all those involved before the transcript or indeed after.

anotherworldofpain wrote: you can't compare a red card for a tackle during a game with this childish and masoginistic carry on.

But i can compare this story to all the other things ive mentioned ?!

My point was we have been over and over and over and over and over and over this last year. And people stated their points and argued and people disagreed at the end. So if we are going to bring up this story , lets go the full 9 yards and bring up every controversial story .....

I forgot to add.....

Quade it the anti-christ.

Mccaws Flying Knee to Parras head.

Rogueries Eye Gouge on Mccaw.

(feel free to add your own)

Or......

Shall we go back on topic and discuss Ashtons Yellow Cards this Season. OK

Persecution of quade cooper was a collective act of fans, nothing to do with an individual all black.

Your stance against this girl is pejorative in context, in sharp contrast to your continual excuse making for the children of the England world cup squad.

Mccaws "flying knee" give me a break. Against on field incident.

Your line of argument is clear blinkered carpet shovelling.

And any two things can be compared, for example I can compare the moon landing to the holocaust, but when wildly unrelated things are "compared" it reveals more about the inadequacy of n individuals argument than any similarity between th two comparees

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:10 am

A one week ban justifies the crime. But I do not see it convincing Ashton to "reign himself in?".

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:15 am

Frak hell, get your facts right!

they asked if she knew what it was not if she could (ok giggling like schoolboys and a bit of a stupid comment but it was all captured on camera for their O2 behind the scenes etc and was JUST banter)

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:18 am

Banter is a subjective thing d13. I'm always being banned for my banter on 606v2 for example. People take offence at different things and it's not up to you to categorise it into what is "acceptable" and what isn't.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:32 am

anotherworldofpain I know you foam at the mouth at anything critical of anything from New Zealand but you should reign it in.

This woman could have settled the issue quietly. Not possible though when many people are hungry of fame and dragging well known figures through the mud is a sport in it's own right.

Ashton was immature but this was blown out of proportion.

Maestegmafia I think one week ban is correct. Ashton will have to reign himself in or he'll cost his respective sides.

It's tough for Ashton. He's got people wanting to bottle him for no reason, the media ready to rip him to pieces whenever he is slightly out of line, members of the public who don't like him because of his swallow dive, etc.

He's easy to take a pop at because he's a well known player, playing for a top club. I want him to reign in his tackling of course but I don't like the whole media furore.

Most of his on field problems have been when playing Leicester - hardly surprising with his rivalry with the Tuilagi bros and the Midlands rivalry. The stupid tackles are just that. Ashton simply needs some more time practicing his tackle technique.

Have any of you actually met Ashton?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:41 am

Maes,
thanks fer the link. OK I avoid the Torygraph, so this is first time I have seen the full transcript. Yes extremely juvenile & embarrassing behaviour by those lads in NZ, for me as an England fan. RWC brought several of England's not proudest moments, so thanks for bringing that up yet again .. picard embarrassment.

This OP is really about this seasons's Ashton transgression, but maybe I should change the title to Ashton is a ***** . I think he needs to look in the mirror and assess his talent vs behaviour. He might become as much a liability as a benefit for the England cause.. he should resolve which. A longer ban would have given opportunity to better behaved (no don't go there, this is the Ashton thread !) young wingers a chance with England this autumn, and time for Ashton to reflect.
But if after the ban he returns to scoring and tidies up his act, well I'll be glad we have him in the squad.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:52 am

gregortree wrote:Maes,
thanks fer the link. OK I avoid the Torygraph, so this is first time I have seen the full transcript. Yes extremely juvenile & embarrassing behaviour by those lads in NZ, for me as an England fan. RWC brought several of England's not proudest moments, so thanks for bringing that up yet again .. picard embarrassment.

This OP is really about this seasons's Ashton transgression, but maybe I should change the title to Ashton is a ***** . I think he needs to look in the mirror and assess his talent vs behaviour. He might become as much a liability as a benefit for the England cause.. he should resolve which. A longer ban would have given opportunity to better behaved (no don't go there, this is the Ashton thread !) young wingers a chance with England this autumn, and time for Ashton to reflect.
But if after the ban he returns to scoring and tidies up his act, well I'll be glad we have him in the squad.

Greg,

My point was not to divulge into The NZ hotel worker fiasco as much as this has. My point was that Ashton has a bad reputation for a good reason, his behaviour on and off the pitch is not of the ilk of what is expected from high profile England Rugby Union Internationals.

Five times in front of Blankett in less than two years. That's worse than Delon Armitage, he has been spurned by Lancaster. Maybe Ashton should feel a bit of Lancasters wrath too, as the RFU have handed out a menial slap on the wrist rather than anything to make young Ashton better consider his behaviour as a high profile sportsman.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:54 am

I think its important to remember that yellow cards are issued for many reasons not just dangerous tackles and violent behaviour, collecting 3 yellows in 10 games this season doesnt automatically call a players character in to question.

It seems ashton has more of a tendency to pick up yellows than other wingers
I think he needs to improve his discipline particularly when he finds himself caught up in the tight exchanges.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:54 am

yappysnap wrote:Blimey I started reading this thread and thought it'd be really boring, then the usual suspects turned up and proved me wrong.

Cheers for the entertainment gents.

BTW the verdicts come in and Ashton got a 1 week ban so will miss Fiji.

So I assume we'll see a Monye, Sharples, Goode combination. Which seems pretty lame when I look at it now.

Yep, You'd bet ypur mortgage on who'll post on this subject and they don't let you down. Not much room on the morale high ground....again!
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:57 am

Stopping get on Ashton's back. The citing officer and new TMO rules have really hurt him badly. He still has not adjusted. Give him time.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:06 am

Who is this 'Blankett' of which you speak?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:13 am

His Honour Blackett

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:23 am

beshocked wrote:anotherworldofpain I know you foam at the mouth at anything critical of anything from New Zealand but you should reign it in.

This woman could have settled the issue quietly. Not possible though when many people are hungry of fame and dragging well known figures through the mud is a sport in it's own right.

Maestegmafia I think one week ban is correct. Ashton will have to reign himself in or he'll cost his respective sides.

It's tough for Ashton. He's got people wanting to bottle him for no reason, the media ready to rip him to pieces whenever he is slightly out of line, members of the public who don't like him because of his swallow dive, etc.

He's easy to take a pop at because he's a well known player, playing for a top club. I want him to reign in his tackling of course but I don't like the whole media furore.

Most of his on field problems have been when playing Leicester - hardly surprising with his rivalry with the Tuilagi bros and the Midlands rivalry. The stupid tackles are just that. Ashton simply needs some more time practicing his tackle technique.

You need to be more objective in your opinions to gain any credibility. You constantly excuse all foul play, poor sportsmanship and embarrassing behaviour for England players while going on a full on assault of this girl who had the self respect to pull them up on it.

What they did was inexcusable, and for Ashton it is clearly part of a bigger picture of poor behaviour and arrogance (what IS with that ridiculous swan dive? how big IS his ego?) In other countries this behaviour would be addressed in a responsible manner, not just via yet another token RFU whitewash and illusion of justice. Banning him for Fiji? Give me a break. What a farce. It reminds me of the ball tampering whitewash all over again.

Contast that to Quade Cooper's fine, exile and Higganbotham's removal from the touring squad. Now that teaches a guy some respect.

Have you actually met this girl?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:40 am

AWOP
[Hope you don't bust a gaskett steam about what happened in NZ all that time ago]
I confess I have not watched the 3 card offences this season, but no doubt Honour Blackett did review them carefully, so I'll go with his judgement = 1 week ban.
I didn't know Swan dives were outlawed yet, but it will be interesting to see what the England manager does next.
If Ashton is deemed a card risk, Lancs might have a private word and give him time off to think about his behaviour. There are less risky wingers available this autumn.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:36 am

Getting back on track, there's an interesting article on whether Ashton's ban, and bans in general, should be based on the tournament in which they are garnered:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/01/the-breakdown-jurisdiction-for-bans

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:53 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:
beshocked wrote:anotherworldofpain I know you foam at the mouth at anything critical of anything from New Zealand but you should reign it in.

You need to be more objective in your opinions to gain any credibility. You constantly excuse all foul play, poor sportsmanship and embarrassing behaviour for England players while going on a full on assault of this girl who had the self respect to pull them up on it.

What they did was inexcusable, and for Ashton it is clearly part of a bigger picture of poor behaviour and arrogance (what IS with that ridiculous swan dive? how big IS his ego?) In other countries this behaviour would be addressed in a responsible manner, not just via yet another token RFU whitewash and illusion of justice. Banning him for Fiji? Give me a break. What a farce. It reminds me of the ball tampering whitewash all over again.

Contast that to Quade Cooper's fine, exile and Higganbotham's removal from the touring squad. Now that teaches a guy some respect.

So you're saying it IS just England then, despite previously agreeing it wasn't?

I think it's a shame his ban's come now but i'm happy with it. The biggest problem as others have pointed out is his number of yellow cards. I think he's knocked any off the field indiscretions (the comments to the hotel worker were beyond crass) on the head, but he needs to adjust his game to cut out the cards.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:54 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Banter is a subjective thing d13. I'm always being banned for my banter on 606v2 for example. People take offence at different things and it's not up to you to categorise it into what is "acceptable" and what isn't.

AWOP, when have you ever been banned from 606v2 as AWOP? Or were you banned under a different name perhaps?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:55 am

Hood83 wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Banter is a subjective thing d13. I'm always being banned for my banter on 606v2 for example. People take offence at different things and it's not up to you to categorise it into what is "acceptable" and what isn't.

AWOP, when have you ever been banned from 606v2 as AWOP? Or were you banned under a different name perhaps?

No I only have one name:

https://www.606v2.com/t36338-site-bans-due-to-misbehaviour-over-the-weekend

And I believe that the mods once claimed that people who persistently claim people are not who they say they are will be banned too. Although I've never seen this happen.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:16 pm

Hood83 wrote:

No I only have one name:

https://www.606v2.com/t36338-site-bans-due-to-misbehaviour-over-the-weekend

And I believe that the mods once claimed that people who persistently claim people are not who they say they are will be banned too. Although I've never seen this happen.

Just as well i made no claim then and simply asked a question, once. Banter is a subjective thing, you're right, but I suppose we have to accept that when everyone else takes offence to it, it's probably stepping over the line. Maybe Ashton has learnt from your example of taking the medicine. Let's hope so.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:28 pm

Hood83 wrote:

So you're saying it IS just England then, despite previously agreeing it wasn't?

I think it's a shame his ban's come now but i'm happy with it. The biggest problem as others have pointed out is his number of yellow cards. I think he's knocked any off the field indiscretions (the comments to the hotel worker were beyond crass) on the head, but he needs to adjust his game to cut out the cards.

Hood AWOP actually does have a real point there.

Compare the leniency granted towards England players to that of other nations and there is a factual case.

The only player dealt with any strictness recently has been Danny care. I think to a degree players know that they can behave immaturely without serious effect.

Contrast two repeat offenders like Ashton and Armitage with some one who was punished sufficiently like Care and you see a huge diffeence.

Care went off the rails, was told to smarten up by Lancaster, he was dropped from the England Squad for the 6 nations, now he is clean, behaved and is playing sublime rugby as we all hope he would.

Ashton has faced several bans for bad behaviour on the pitch, has been reprimanded and fined for incidents off the pitch while on England duty, as well as being involved in controversy, (whether his instigation or not), off the pitch socially as well. And this season has had three yellow cards and is serving his latest ban.

Maybe if Lancaster took Ashton's behaviour problems seriously and dropped him for the AIs then Ashton might change his colours.

It would be a shame if England are doing well in a game in the AIs and they lost because Ashton was sent off for bad behaviour...!

Any Welshman will easily be able to tell you how awful that feels...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Thu 01 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

I don't see this ban as a result of an attitude or behaviour problem. I remember 2 of the 3 tackles that lead to the cumulative ban and they were pretty marginal, not anything malicious. Tackles that certainly wouldn't have raised an eyeball were he still playing League. The extra powers of officials this season are clearly highlighting technical issues that remain in his game though and need to be eradicated.

In relation to the length of the ban, Blackett said, "We were guided by the IRB recommendation that a one week suspension was appropriate for totting up offences".

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next