The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simple Question .... What's Your Favourite Ever Racehorse ???

+2
Swanseadabber
Grahame1971
6 posters

Go down

Simple Question .... What's Your Favourite Ever Racehorse ??? Empty Simple Question .... What's Your Favourite Ever Racehorse ???

Post by Grahame1971 Tue 19 Apr 2011, 12:59 pm

Thought i'd start the a thread to find out what everyones favourite horse is. Was having a discussion at the weekend with a friend who was digging up some names from the past, however over the years there is always one that sticks out for whatever reason, more often than not for those of us that like a bet, it is one that we always seemed to get on the right side of. Lot's of horses have grabbed the publics imagination over the years, however many 'racing people' have a favourite that is little known by the wider general public .... So what's yours, and why ?

I'll start us off - and i'm going to cheat as i have two - One for each code -

NH - Light Veneer

Trainer by Merrita Jones, I first watched this horse back in the early 90's, I can remember it winning a hurdles race at Warwick and followed it (and backed it in every race after), although it was when it went novice chasing that i really fell in love with the horse. It was a right battler, would always run on gamely at the end of each race, occasionally chucked in the odd sticky jump but was truly a real gutsy horse. It never won any race of any note, fell in the Kim Muir at the festival on it's second last run in 1995 when ridden by Tony Martin and sadly only ran once after that.

FLAT - American Cousin

A very run of the mill sprint handicapper that mostly ran in low grade races, trained by Dandy Nicholls, i think it would be fair to say American Cousin didn't run every race to his true merits however when he won, he won me a packet (and a car once !!!!) and for this i will always have a soft spot for the flying maching !!! He won at least once every season he raced, never won anything big and often popped up when least expected (first time out at Newcastle one season springs to mind). Although, often getting lost in races, when allowed to race he would still often be seen flying at the end of a 5 furlong race ... but for some reason never really got 6 Furlongs. He raced over 100 times over seven seasons and was a horse i would have loved to have owned.

So there's my two .... A little 'leftfield' i know and hardly household names but still my two favourites heart

So what's yours then ???

Grahame1971

Back to top Go down

Simple Question .... What's Your Favourite Ever Racehorse ??? Empty Re: Simple Question .... What's Your Favourite Ever Racehorse ???

Post by Swanseadabber Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:59 pm

My personal fav has always been Dancing Brave, in 86 I was really starting to get into the racing scene serious and Guy Harwood's horse just blew me away, to this day it is still the finest animal that I have seen. Everybody knows about his Derby 2nd, but his performance in Paris was scintillating under Pat.

My other fav was a 2 year old of Mick Channons, I had been impressed by Bint Allayl when it won the Queen Mary however I was at York the day it won the Lowther and little did I know it would be the last time this lovely horse would be seen on a racecourse. She blew away a good field that day and I was on for a right few quid, in my opinion she could have been anything but sadly she was killed in a freak accident, when she fractured her shoulder and had to be put down. She was FAV for the following seasons Guineas.
Swanseadabber
Swanseadabber

Back to top Go down

Simple Question .... What's Your Favourite Ever Racehorse ??? Empty Re: Simple Question .... What's Your Favourite Ever Racehorse ???

Post by racingnut Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:17 pm

One from each code that are just my favs and one from each code that ive been involved in.
VERY PROMISING;good hurdler for Mercy Rimell but even better chaser for the Duke.
TIME CHARTER;splendid filly/mare in real top events,can still see Steve Cauthen sitting motionless on her as she sauntered away with the Coronation Cup.

TOULON ROUGE:brilliant mare to been involved with won 4 for us ,had some great days with her at Perth and Kelso.

DOC HOLLIDAY;ran at all the big Flat festivals,Royal Ascot,July meeting and ended up third to Johannesburg in the Middle Park.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:39 pm

Blowing Wind for the jumps coz he's the horse that first got me interested in racing.

I never cared for it at all till I saw him win the County Hurdle at Cheltenham,it was his second part of the Imperial Cup/ Cheltenham double.

I was at home recovering from an illness and was only watching Cheltenham because I was bored......imagine that?! lol

Then, when we got Sky, I started watching lots of the All-Weather on ATR, purely coz it was a novelty to have horse racing on tap.
I started following Silver Socks.... who at the time was on a winning streak....... I fell in love with that little horse.
Then he went chasing and I was watching him the day he hit a fence awkwardly, he didn't fall but he had broken his leg, it was horrible to see....I was completely heartbroken Crying or Very sad

R.I.Paradise Silver Socks.

So those are my two....Blowing Wind and Silver Socks.

Lots of other faves too.....maybe we can have a top ten thread : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Caf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 2:38 pm

Desert Orchid for all his great races he took part in. He just looked great
and put in a huge effort . Great stamina.

Caf

Back to top Go down

Post by theenigmathatisTIDALBAY Fri 22 Apr 2011, 8:45 pm

the horse that got me interested in racing really was spot the difference so id say he will always be my favorite. as much as i rate garde champetre i believe spotty would still have his match

id say my current fave would be tidal bay. i think purely because he is an absolute rascal.

theenigmathatisTIDALBAY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down