The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Breakdown v2 Rugby Podcast

4 posters

Go down

The Breakdown v2 Rugby Podcast Empty The Breakdown v2 Rugby Podcast

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:22 am

Hi everyone,

please click here for the latest edition of the v2 rugby podcast: http://www.v2journal.com/the-breakdown-v2-rugby-podcast-19-september-2012.html

This week the panel pays tribute to Nevin Spence, as well as debating the ERC/PRC Heineken Cup impasse and looking at club and international rugby from the weekend.

As always, please give us your feedback, and suggestions.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Breakdown v2 Rugby Podcast Empty Re: The Breakdown v2 Rugby Podcast

Post by red_stag Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:50 am

Just to let people know that we will be having a Welsh international and regional star on the podcast next week.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

It must have been very difficult to speak about Spence so well done to those involved. The words came across as very genuine and conveyed how well loved and respected Spence was.

However I do feel that this tribute did not do justice to Spence's playing ability, achievements or talents.

I don't understand the comparison with Quade Cooper, a totally different style of player in a different position.

Perhaps it was not the intention but the podcast painted the picture of an honest player who, wasn't the most talented player but tried his best with the limited abilities that he had.

Whereas Spence unquestionably gave his all on the field, something that clearly won him a lot of admirers including myself, he was for me an exceptional talent and one who had so much more to give on the rugby field, for Ulster and most likely Ireland as well.

Talent manifests itself in many ways and Spence was blessed with excellent natural physical attributes - pace, strength, power - beyond many of his peers, something conveyed by Edwin Poots in his emotional interview on the Nolan show. Defensively he was superb and could read the oppositions attack better than most. He was also a very skillful footballer (he had trials I believe for Man City?).

At just 22 he had played 40+ times for Ulster, had been IRUPA young player of the year, played for the Wolfhounds and trained with the full Ireland squad. Along with the likes of O'Malley, Cave, Earls he was a leading contender to challenge for the hallowed Irish 13 jersey once O'Driscoll had finally hung up his boots.

Yes he was still raw and not the finished article by any stretch but really the impression given by the comments in this piece do not do full justice to the player I will remember. How good he could or would have been unfortunately we will never know.

Rightfully most of the tributes, as with this one, have focussed on the tragic human loss in this terrible incident but I think it is important that, where Spences playing ability is discussed that his potential and significance within Ulster and Irish rugby is not understated or forgotten.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotupina187 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:56 am

rodders wrote:It must have been very difficult to speak about Spence so well done to those involved. The words came across as very genuine and conveyed how well loved and respected Spence was.

However I do feel that this tribute did not do justice to Spence's playing ability, achievements or talents.

I don't understand the comparison with Quade Cooper, a totally different style of player in a different position.

Perhaps it was not the intention but the podcast painted the picture of an honest player who, wasn't the most talented player but tried his best with the limited abilities that he had.

Whereas Spence unquestionably gave his all on the field, something that clearly won him a lot of admirers including myself, he was for me an exceptional talent and one who had so much more to give on the rugby field, for Ulster and most likely Ireland as well.

Talent manifests itself in many ways and Spence was blessed with excellent natural physical attributes - pace, strength, power - beyond many of his peers, something conveyed by Edwin Poots in his emotional interview on the Nolan show. Defensively he was superb and could read the oppositions attack better than most. He was also a very skillful footballer (he had trials I believe for Man City?).

At just 22 he had played 40+ times for Ulster, had been IRUPA young player of the year, played for the Wolfhounds and trained with the full Ireland squad. Along with the likes of O'Malley, Cave, Earls he was a leading contender to challenge for the hallowed Irish 13 jersey once O'Driscoll had finally hung up his boots.

Yes he was still raw and not the finished article by any stretch but really the impression given by the comments in this piece do not do full justice to the player I will remember. How good he could or would have been unfortunately we will never know.

Rightfully most of the tributes, as with this one, have focussed on the tragic human loss in this terrible incident but I think it is important that, where Spences playing ability is discussed that his potential and significance within Ulster and Irish rugby is not understated or forgotten.

Id agree with the podcast that Spence was a player that gave his all but had limited ability. He would of had to improve a lot to get the 13 jersey for Ireland, which could have happened giving his young age. He reminds me a bit of Ian Dowling, limited skills but would run through a wall for his team mates.

Cotupina187

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down