The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best and worst crowd atmosphere

+33
GunsGerms
kingjohn7
Mr Fishpaste
mowgli
Argie fan
HERSH
rainbow-warrior
theslosty
Gibson
aucklandlaurie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
anotherworldofpain
Morgannwg
LordDowlais
gowales
Feckless Rogue
thebandwagonsociety
BoyneRFC
AlastairW
LondonTiger
red_stag
GLove39
Imperialbigdave
Pot Hale
bedfordwelsh
SubsBench
Poorfour
disneychilly
offload
UlstermaninGlasgow
Liam
kiakahaaotearoa
37 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best and worst crowd atmosphere Empty Best and worst crowd atmosphere

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 19 Sep 2012, 5:09 pm

A mate gave me a ticket to the Champions match last night in Madrid. At the break I was wishing I had stayed at home and didn't leave because at least being seated next to the City fans (on the Madrid side) I had some entertainment. Madrid fans are notoriously quiet and like the bullfighting crowd at Las Ventas are incredibly snobby when it comes to applauding their own team. They will only start making a noise when they feel their team has performed at their best. So for much of the match last night, you could've been forgiven for thinking it was a home match for Manchester City.

I like how football fans make up songs and have little dance moves and clapping sorted out. In rugby we tend to hear songs like Bread of Heaven in Wales, Flower of Scotland at Murrayfield, Swing Low at Twickers and then Waltzing Matilda occasionally. NZ only has singing in the form of songs from the 80s like Slice of Heaven blared out over the loudspeakers. We tend to have very simplistic chants like All Blacks (took us ages to think that one up!) and boo the kickers. Sometimes I think we try to turn test matches into the Wellington sevens and it comes off as forced.

I've seen test matches in Australia, NZ, England, Paris, Cardiff, Murrayfield and Dublin. I find the French are fickle when it comes to supporting the team. If you put points on them, they go quiet. I admire the crowds in Ireland for their hushed silence when the kickers are on and think generally this is the best place to see the respect for the kickers. I hear other fans claiming it happens in test matches elsewhere but my impression was that Ireland stand out in this regard. Even in Madrid in the pubs, they go quiet when the kicks are on and shush people! An Irish friend here went to the Munster match against the ABs and said it was the best atmosphere he had seen anywhere. It's an intimate ground in terms of the proximity of the crowd to the match but even I got a sense of that with the hair standing up on my neck when that haka reply by the 3 Munster Kiwis started up.

So where have the best matches for crowd atmosphere have you been to? I'd prefer test match but if a club game stands out then by all means indulge us. Frankly I found the din of the Mooloo supporters in Waikato unbearable but I imagine if you're from the Tron you wouldn't mind so much. I'd love to see a test match in the high veld in South Africa but I think in terms of volume the most vocal supporters for me were in Wales. I guess it depends also on the teams squaring up against each other. Wales (well frankly any 6N side apart from Italy) vs England, SA vs NZ, are matches that tend to bring out the best in the supporters. But like a music concert sometimes it's hit and miss when it comes to crowd reaction.

When NZ was qualifying for the football World Cup, they say the qualifying match against some Middle East team (yes, we really had to foot it with the best to make it to SA!) brought out a response from the crowd unseen before in NZ. I think it came close to it in the 2011 final but in general I don't think Kiwi fans make for good vocal supporters. I can think of amazing games I've been to in NZ but not really ones where the crowd has stood out. I've been to a Calcutta match where the rugby was pretty dire played in bleak conditions but the crowd atmosphere kept my blood pumping. I'm not a fan of the song Swing Low in a rugby context but I must admit Twickers in full voice distracts you from the game and you want to look around and take in the crowd.

So the best crowd atmosphere for me was Wales vs England at the MS simply because of the volume. When the Real Madrid crowd choose to cheer, you really hear it (but Atletico vs Rayo last Sunday was incredible in terms of two local supporters trying to outdo one another for volume). This was the case for me at MS. Maybe I was sitting in front of particularly raucous pink cowboy hat and daffodil supporters but I've been to music concerts where the decibel levels were lower. The worst was probably France vs Australia in Paris in 98 when Australia stuffed them and the crowd that was hushed and sullen for most of the match ended up booing their own side when they touched the ball. Similarly I remember being ashamed of the Lancaster Park idiots booing every time JK touched the ball in the twilight of his illustrious career. So what stands out for you?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Best and worst crowd atmosphere Empty Re: Best and worst crowd atmosphere

Post by Liam Wed 19 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

Again England vs Wales in the two games I've seen between the two. First was in 2010 (?) when England won 26-19 I believe, that was incredible. Friday night, roof shut and the noise electric, really was special.

Second was the world cup warm up match. Who would have thought it would have been so loud, even though it was Wales vs England, it still was one hell of an atmosphere. Helped there were about 15,000 England supporters there but when James Hook crossed for the try and kicked the kick to win the game, it truly was incredible. The roof almost came off. That's what I love about the MS, when the roof is on its the best stadium in the world for atmosphere hands down, especially when you add and England/Wales game into the mix.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 19 Sep 2012, 6:10 pm

Best - Have to be biased and say the old Lansdowne Roar was amazing... And then the silence for the kicks...

Worst - Well Murrayfield has the nickname of "The Library" when Edinburgh play due to the subdued nature of their fans, and the fact that 5,000 in a 70,000 seater stadium sounds quiet... Although Ireland - Scotland games there are brilliant especially with a fairly mixed crowd...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 19 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

Best - Always loved the old Lansdowne Rd and Parc des Princes grounds, and the old Arms Park was special. Now the MS when full is hard to beat.

Worst - Had some miserable experiences at Twickenham although I think the recent developments have improved it.

I'm really struggling along with other die hards at Pontypool Park now we are relegated. The ground is still beautuful but the atmosphere is lunar. Crying or Very sad
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

I'm looking forward to Rome in November-hopefully the Italian crowd will be great. Wish I'd seen a test in Argentina. Need to check Wales France SA and Arg off my list.

Is there some sort of petition we can sign to stop music blaring over the PA? It's a fecking game not a nightclub and the atmosphere doesn't need it.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

Best? England's loss to Wales in the last 6N was probably the best atmosphere for an International match, but had nothing on the AP Final.

I've not made it to see Ireland play in Ireland yet, but having been to Thomond I can see that it would be pretty special. The atmosphere at Toulon was such that my seven year old, who normally can't last a whole game, declared at the end "It can't be over, I want to see more".

Worst? Recent Baabaas matches (sadly) or the London Double Header.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:47 pm

Internationally the best I've been a part of is Wales v France this year. Closed roof and it really was electric.

The worst was probably Scotland v Wales in 2009, because Wales were pretty comfortable and so it diluted the atmosphere somewhat.

Club wise, the best away ground I've been too was Toulouse, where it was nigh on impossible to make ourselves (Dragons supporters) heard. The only chance we had to sing was in the slight gaps between songs.

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:53 pm

Best atmosphere I've experienced in an international was Wales v England in Cardiff Arms Park in 1993. Wales won 10-9. I was sitting with two octogenarians, my grandfather in the last game he went to watch live, and a retired GP. The atmosphere was electric, I was in the North stand and the noise and singing was fantastic, especially from the East terrace. When Ieuan scored, my grandfather and the GP jumped up so quickly that my grandfather's glasses landed two or three rows down and the GP showed remarkable reactions for a man of his age by catching his false teeth just before they hit the bloke in front.

Wales v England in Wembley in 1999 and W v E in the MS in 2005 were also pretty special (there appears to be a theme linking atmosphe opposition and results!).

Disney, I went to Argentina in 2006 to watch Wales' two test tour, one game in Buenos Aires and one in Puerto Madryn Patagonia. We had a really warm welcome, especially from the Welsh speaking Argentinians in Patagonia, but the Argentinians during the game came accross as football fans. They were very noisy which is of course good, but they were constantly hurling abuse and came accross as quite unsporting. The booing of kickers in Cardiff is nothing compared to Argentina.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:26 pm

I may be an old sentimentalist but give me an old Arms Park or Lansdowne Road ANYDAY over the new stadiums we have these days.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:32 pm

Ireland v England in first match at Croke Park was pretty spine-tingling and the noise right from the anthems - both of them - through the match was incredible.

Best fun atmosphere and noise and singing and music was a league match between Bayonne and Bordeaux - cracking atmosphere, lovely stadium, a full musical band in the crowd and great, great local songs.

Magnifique! The tasty hot meats, glasses of vino and beers added to the occasion.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

final quarter of Scotland vs Australia 2009, stadium only 2/3rds full, but not full of the tartan blanket and prawn sandwich brigade. electric.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:final quarter of Scotland vs Australia 2009, stadium only 2/3rds full, but not full of the tartan blanket and prawn sandwich brigade. electric.

Have to agree with you Dave, I was fortunate enough to be at that game and it was as you say electric. From the roar as Paterson's drop goal sailed over, to the ferocious booing that greeted Giteau's final kick, shortly followed by an eruption of joy, it was magical!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm

I have never liked the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road or the new Aviva Stadium.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm

Worst atmosphere though as others have already pointed out has to be Edinburgh games (HC quarter final an exception). Went to the most recent one v Zebre, dire crowd of 3,500 rattling around. The teams run out big roar, then the second the ball was kicked silence descended. It seems that at these games, the team lift the crowd not the other way round.

A close second would be Scotland V Italy 2007, 21-0 down after 6 minutes, a stunned silence around Murrayfield & a loan fan could be heard yelling out "Hadden I've got my boots"..!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:24 pm

disneychilly wrote:I'm looking forward to Rome in November-hopefully the Italian crowd will be great. Wish I'd seen a test in Argentina. Need to check Wales France SA and Arg off my list.

Is there some sort of petition we can sign to stop music blaring over the PA? It's a fecking game not a nightclub and the atmosphere doesn't need it.

Same with rugby videos posted on youtube. We want to watch the rugby. Our ears don't need to be assaulted by death metal because it matches the ferocity of the big hits or by rap because the lyrics are profound and match the situation or player perfectly. No, invariably the music is rubbish and I clicked on your vid because I wanted to see some rugby and not listen to your s**t taste in music.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:09 am

I'd imagine if you got to jump into the hot tubs with those South African chicks at Kings Park then Durban would be the all time best for atmosphere Very Happy

Too true Kia. I just cringe when I see those vids-made by some homeboy gangsta wannabe type. Then we watch AB games in NZ or Aussie and I bet you some of the faces we see there are the ones who make those videos!

Sorry to generalise but bugger em when they ruin my enjoyment of a good eugby clip.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

I have fond memories of the atmosphere in the Scotland-England match at Murrayfield in 2000. An Edinburgh-based friend had got us tickets in the Scottish family area.

On the way in we were surrounded by kids going "We're going to win! We're going to win!" and parents going "Calm down, dear!". By half time, the parents were going "We're going to win! We're going to win!" and the kids were going "We're cold, we're wet, we're hungry, we want to go home!"

I've never liked the atmosphere at Stade de France, though the England fans gave a good account of themselves during the last 6N, helped by large periods of French silence.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:05 am

Best 1991 - Parc des Prince France v England RWC 1/4 Final. rather than the usual Parisian crowd they seemed to have admitted the bastille mob. Countered by about 20,000 english. Ferocious match ferocious atmosphere.

Close runner up - Munster v Biarritz HC final in Cardiff. One sided atmsophere but those Munster folk sure knew how to sing and shout. "The Fields of Athenry" was spine tingling and made all the better for the roof being open - so not being that fake atmosphere induced by echos and songs over the tannoy I have had on occasion there. Day was only spoilt by the silly billy who decided to walk up to my brother and punch him in the face simply for wearing a tigers shirt (we were in the queue for the station, there had been no interaction). Brother enjoyed it in the end though as he was nursed all the way back to Paddington (an after) by a lovely cork lass.

Worst 1999 RWC 1/4 final - Stade de France - England v SA. Horrid stadium, not atmosphere in the crowd at all.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

LondonTiger wrote:Day was only spoilt by the silly billy who decided to walk up to my brother and punch him in the face simply for wearing a tigers shirt (we were in the queue for the station, there had been no interaction). Brother enjoyed it in the end though as he was nursed all the way back to Paddington (and after) by a lovely cork lass.

Ah that old trick. The lad who punched him was planted there for that very reason! kiss
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:22 am

LondonTiger wrote: Day was only spoilt by the silly billy who decided to walk up to my brother and punch him in the face simply for wearing a tigers shirt .

Sad That is genuinly the first time i have even heard of violence at a Rugby game. Ever game i've gone to has had very bored looking coppers; which is a good thing.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:26 am

Nah it was a Cardiff thing, not really rugby related - even if the guy was wearing a Wales shirt. He was drunk, he saw an obvious englishman and tbh the punch was about as effective as Andrew Sheridan. Didn't stop by brother milking it for the attention though Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

LondonTiger wrote:Didn't stop by brother milking it for the attention though Very Happy

Heh! Never let the horse of opportunity ride thee by!

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:42 am

LondonTiger wrote:tbh the punch was about as effective as Andrew Sheridan.

A brilliant description.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:32 am

red_stag wrote:I have never liked the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road or the new Aviva Stadium.

You should try seeing Leinster play there in HEC knock-out. One of the best was Leinster v Toulouse. What a game. What an atmosphere.

Best ever though was ASM v Leinster in B'deaux. I had to leave the stadium along with 4 mates with around 5 minutes to go. We simply could not stand the tension !!

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:42 am

BoyneRFC wrote:
red_stag wrote:I have never liked the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road or the new Aviva Stadium.

You should try seeing Leinster play there in HEC knock-out. One of the best was Leinster v Toulouse. What a game. What an atmosphere.

Best ever though was ASM v Leinster in B'deaux. I had to leave the stadium along with 4 mates with around 5 minutes to go. We simply could not stand the tension !!

Apologies I have three times been there for Leinster games - it was excellent then.

I mean for Ireland games.

BTW - why did you leave the stadium in BOrddeaux???????? Bonkers!! I cant imagine leaving at the best time of a match.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

The clermont travelling support is a sight to behold. I remember one of the first clashes with Leinster in the RDS. The colour, the songs, the chants. It really put it up to, what was then, a very quiet and polite Leinster crowd. I reckon that side as the visitors make a brilliant atmosphere.

For best crowd atmosphere at an international, it was Ireland v Wales for the grand slam in MS the few years back. Huge noise, a nip and tuck game. Last second penalty and the kick just goes short (everyone went silent midway through the flight of that ball). Then the place went bananas as the great man would say. Also, I was in the middle of a load of welsh support... nothing but playful banter back and forth for the full 80 minutes.

Worst crowd atmosphere probably Leinster away to Saracens in the HCup. The game was in wembley, it was virtually sold out but the crowd had very little life in it and, I don't know, it just didn't seem to amplify the crowd noise or hold the noise in the stadium as much as I'd have liked.

Unfortunately, I reckon lansdowne road (the new lansdowne) has some of the worst atmospheres for rugby games, especially the autumn internationals. Too many people around me seem to be having a gossip and don't pay any attention to what is happening on the field. The tickets can be hard to come by, but then I get in and all I hear from behind me is whats happened the last episode of downtonabbey/eastenders/othertvtripe or people moaning about work or how someone is 'closing that huge deal'. They should be there to catch the game and support the team!

I'd just add, while it was a great experience, I've only been to 1 game in New Zealand and it was AB v Oz a few years back in Eden Park. Good game, NZ won after losing in Sydney the week before. The crowd watched everything intensely (no gossip gangs) but very little in song or chants. But the one thing that struck me (and maybe I just don't notice it as much elsewhere, ie. Ireland) was the number of messy drunks at the game. Heavy drinking by quiet people who would then start random fights or sizing people up for confrontation, throwing empty plastic pints and food across the crowd and then getting hauled out by security (easily 7-8 different people in the first half and 5-6 in the second half). Coupled with an ex-pat english lad who got so wasted he decided to drop his pants and walk down the aisle from the back of the stand (bizarre). It just made that experience a bit surreal and I've been too confused about it to figure out if it was a great experience of NZ rugby and supporters or one of the worst crowds I've ever sat in the middle of.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:30 pm

You should've gone to an Otago game with all the scarfies (students) mate!

For some the drinking culture in rugby and Anglo-Saxon society in general creates problems. That extends to the fans as well as the players. I don't think NZ is alone in that regard and some of the corporate crowd are just as worse if not worse than the cheap seats.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:38 pm

In Europe, for club rugby the south of France comes across as the best on the TV, although I've never been. They seem so loud and manically passionate. I'd say they're closely followed by the Irish provincial supporters. With Munster at Thomond probably being the loudest and most passionate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMf6XBS4H8

But all the Irish provincial supporters are very loud and passionate.

At international level, the Irish crowd actually don't create a great atmosphere at all in general. If the team aren't winning they tend to go silent. I'm not sure why the Irish test team supporters are so much worse than the provincial ones. Because in most sports we tend to have incredibly supportive fans in victory and defeat. Remember the Irish soccer fans singing non stop for the last 7 minutes while they were losing 4-0 to Spain. The rugby crowd just aren't so supportive for some reason.

The best international atmosphere, hands down, is Wales in the Millenium Stadium. It's simply the best atmosphere in rugby.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:39 pm

I love this Clermont chant in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fPvHc3VLY8

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm

I know I am going to be biased here, and I have been to all the six nations stadiums, except the new Italian one, but for me it HAS to be the MS, mostly because of where it is situated, it is slap bang in the middle of the city centre and all the pubs are singing, the city centre is closed for traffic, except the team busses, and when they roll pass the whole centre erupts, then as you only have to stroll out of a pub into the stadium it just feels electric straight away, also I do have a soft spot for the old Lansdown Rd as it was my first away international and the atmosphere was awesome, especially as we won with Neil Jenkings scoring all our points, happy days. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:You should've gone to an Otago game with all the scarfies (students) mate!

For some the drinking culture in rugby and Anglo-Saxon society in general creates problems. That extends to the fans as well as the players. I don't think NZ is alone in that regard and some of the corporate crowd are just as worse if not worse than the cheap seats.

NZ definitely isn't alone. I've only one experience to go on. It could easily be a case that I am that type of person at all the other games I go to (and never spot myself in the mirror or on the big screen at those games).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:28 pm

Toulon is an amazing place to watch rugby, perhaps the most passionate home fans I have seen.

While having lunch I started to feel a bit ill, flashbacks to war-zones etc until the memory I had been blocking out for years came flooding back:

Toulouse v stade Francais, Murrayfield.
worst match and deadest atmosphere I have ever witnessed. 90% of the fans were neutrals bored out of their minds. The only noise was 60,000 people snoring. Then the buggers on the pitch decided to foist more tedium on us by drawing and going into extra time.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:15 pm

Interesting that no-one's mentioned the Aus v Eng 2003 RWC Final. The home nation vs the favourites (with a huge travelling fanbase) and a tense match with lots for the dedicated rugby fan to get het up about (e.g. Andre Watson's reffing of the scrum).

I wasn't there, but it looked pretty special on telly. I'd be interested to know what any neutrals felt.

I was at the 2007 final, and the atmosphere was distinctly odd. A random assortment of fans of various nations, in a soulless stadium where the only beer was non-alcoholic, a freezing night and a match that was nervy but eventually killed by England's injury list (Peter Richards at No 7, anyone?) and some distinctly dubious refereeing (almost identical incidents being treated differently depending on who was in possession at the time). The Boks thoroughly deserved their win, but the match never reallt came to life.

Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:46 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote: I've seen test matches in Australia, NZ, England, Paris, Cardiff, Murrayfield and Dublin. I find the French are fickle when it comes to supporting the team. If you put points on them, they go quiet. I admire the crowds in Ireland for their hushed silence when the kickers are on and think generally this is the best place to see the respect for the kickers. I hear other fans claiming it happens in test matches elsewhere but my impression was that Ireland stand out in this regard.

They actually boo the kickers though, then criticise the Welsh for doing it while claiming that they do not boo.

I don't like the fact Prince William has been booed at the MS some of the times he's presented our captain with the 6 Nations trophy. Very disrespectful and shameful.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:47 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote: I've seen test matches in Australia, NZ, England, Paris, Cardiff, Murrayfield and Dublin. I find the French are fickle when it comes to supporting the team. If you put points on them, they go quiet. I admire the crowds in Ireland for their hushed silence when the kickers are on and think generally this is the best place to see the respect for the kickers. I hear other fans claiming it happens in test matches elsewhere but my impression was that Ireland stand out in this regard.

They actually boo the kickers though, then criticise the Welsh for doing it while claiming that they do not boo.

I don't like the fact Prince William has been booed at the MS some of the times he's presented our captain with the 6 Nations trophy. Very disrespectful and shameful.

Now that's a WUM

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 20 Sep 2012, 4:53 pm

Frankly I think it happens everywhere but to varying degrees. I have watched games in Ireland though where there has been absolute silence. But I never understand why people make so much of a thing of it. It's not like the kickers miss a kick and say I wish the crowd had shut up then I might have made it otherwise. I do like it when it happens but I don't think you can make claims to have the best fans in the world because you do it. Sadly there are idiots everywhere.

Personally I find more offensive the football tendency - now creeping in to some rugby games - to whistle and jeer whenever the opposition have possession. Or they target certain players like Quade Cooper in NZ or ironic cheers for Beale in Sydney when he actually caught the ball.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:03 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Frankly I think it happens everywhere but to varying degrees. I have watched games in Ireland though where there has been absolute silence. But I never understand why people make so much of a thing of it. It's not like the kickers miss a kick and say I wish the crowd had shut up then I might have made it otherwise. I do like it when it happens but I don't think you can make claims to have the best fans in the world because you do it. Sadly there are idiots everywhere.

Personally I find more offensive the football tendency - now creeping in to some rugby games - to whistle and jeer whenever the opposition have possession. Or they target certain players like Quade Cooper in NZ or ironic cheers for Beale in Sydney when he actually caught the ball.

I agree.

What i find quite annoying is travelling supporters from say Munster going to Clermont's ground in France and then shooshing them do the same. I think that's actually more rude than booing or whistling the kicker.

Nick Evans actually said he finds it more comfortable kicking when the crowd is making noise/not paying attention rather than complete silence!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

If anyone was at Scotland vs New Zealand in 2010, Murrayfield was almost silent for the last 75 mins of the match

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

Cheering that lone penalty goal took a lot out of the locals. They're still looking, along with their team, for that full 80 minute performance. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

There was a cracking mexican wave to be fair

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

Yes, agree NZ crowds normally are about self conscious and it's hard to get the atmosphere there. The exception would be the Wellington 7's where for some reason they decide to have fun and let lose a little bit. The old days of Carrisbrook in the days of the scarfies setting fire to sofas on the terrace were an exception too.

One of the most supportive kiwi crowds I ever head was the army of travelling England supporters who stayed on and cheered the Kiwi League team to world cup glory against Australia. The Kiwi team said they had never had support quite the same and it made a huge difference for them!

You have to give it to the English on this one for sheer coordinated noise. Undisputed world champions at Twickenham.

In terms of never say die attitude and turning out in numbers no matter how poorly the team is doing, the Welsh get the gold medal. Although we can all live without ever seeing the pink cowboy hat and leek costume ever again I think.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:36 pm

There were some cracking tries as well! Sporting of the crowd to indulge in hushed reverence.

Might be going to the match in November this year so looking forward to seeing a similar cracking Mexican wave, a wondrous Scotland penalty to take the lead and stir the locals into rabid delirium and then some AB tries so I can have a talk with the players and cheer them on in private. Hug

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

Anyway, worst atmosphere I've experienced was Wales vs France back in 2000. I was young back then and disliked watching rugby because Wales would get a lot of hidings, they were getting one that day too. I was sat inbetween my dad and a pair of friendly guys, from Bridgend or the Valleys, had a high pitched accent. Us four were sat behind a few French guys, they came across as arrogant when the two welsh guys tried to socialise with them. There was a welsh lass with some leek hat on sat in front of the french who also had a high pitched accent who repeatedly screamed "Come on Wales!..." despite the fact we were getting stuffed. That was the only time these France supporters cracked a smile all game I think (at her voice I'm guessing). Early days for the MS so the famous atmosphere had yet to mature, it was freezing cold and everyone was smoking.

Stade de France was probably the best atmosphere I have experienced, and it would take a lot to convice me as I dislike French rugby supporters at live games. Would love to visit Dublin and Rome for a live game in the future.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:38 pm

123456789 wrote:If anyone was at Scotland vs New Zealand in 2010, Murrayfield was almost silent for the last 75 mins of the match

True. Though the lone piper playing through the Remembrance minute of silence before the match had the hair on the back of my neck's attention.

I went to the "Black out" test vs SA in Dunedin in 1999, that crowd is the only one I've ever seen intimidate the Boks
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

And Wales vs Scotland in 2006 is up there for me. Very noisy, full of song and cheer over in the corner where I was sat. The welsh and scottish got on like best friends. Some of the best and most entertaining rugby fans I've met so far. Most SH supporters I've met (bar the Aussies) tend to keep to themselves.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 20 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
123456789 wrote:If anyone was at Scotland vs New Zealand in 2010, Murrayfield was almost silent for the last 75 mins of the match

True. Though the lone piper playing through the Remembrance minute of silence before the match had the hair on the back of my neck's attention.

I went to the "Black out" test vs SA in Dunedin in 1999, that crowd is the only one I've ever seen intimidate the Boks

I think it was 2008, the fixture in Murrayfield had some ridiculous build up, ridiculously good. There were spotlights co-ordinated while the stadium was pitch black, then the question on the screen come up, "Can Scotland get their first win over the All Blacks?" I was watching it with my dad and my then girlfriend post Wales/SA game in the Prince of Wales, Cardiff. Me and my dad just looked at each other and instantly shook our heads. Laugh

All Blacks put out some kinda of 2nd string and thrashed the Scots, keeping them tryless.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:There were some cracking tries as well! Sporting of the crowd to indulge in hushed reverence.

Might be going to the match in November this year so looking forward to seeing a similar cracking Mexican wave, a wondrous Scotland penalty to take the lead and stir the locals into rabid delirium and then some AB tries so I can have a talk with the players and cheer them on in private. Hug

Unlucky we've lost Dan Parks so no wondrous penalty

And the lone piper was pretty special but it seemed to fire up the ABs and not Scotland.
Mark my words one day we will beat you (probably en route to 2015 world cup glory)

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:33 pm

One day you will..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I may be an old sentimentalist but give me an old Arms Park or Lansdowne Road ANYDAY over the new stadiums we have these days.

Totally agree. Stadiums are far too sterile now. Kills the atmosphere sitting down politely. No weak, watered-down bovril, no pishing thro the rolled-up match progam, cos it's too packed to move. Luxury.
Lansdowne Road and The Arms Park were magnificent for real atmosphere.

Best ground for atmosphere now? The MS with the roof closed. Loved it when Leinster won the HC Final v Saints. Incredible day.

Best ever experience at a game? When England came to Lansdowne in the early 70's, totally against the grain. Height of the Troubles, when other teams would not travel for safety reasons. England, of all countries - braved it. They got a standing ovation for 5 mins. Held the game up. It was superb.

I fell in love with rugby that day. And saw Mike Gibson play. Man. Thanks Da.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:11 pm

The best experience I've had at a local game would have to be Ulster's thrashing of Leicester last year, it was a bitterly cold night but the volume generated by such a small terrace was heart-warming...
At Croker, Ireland's defeat of the Boks in such a tense match in 2009 was incredible. The fog that day made the play literally invisible towards the end of the game, which just added to the thrill.
Went to the Aviva at Easter to see Leinster hand out a masterclass to Cardiff, but the ease of the win made a diluted atmosphere.
From what I've seen on TV I'd agree with the others - MS, Munster and south of France are where you really want to go.

And then there was that famous day in Cardiff in March 09.
S'alright I suppose.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next