The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow Warriors - Match report

+5
Jenifer McLadyboy
funnyExiledScot
maestegmafia
Artful_Dodger
Thomond
9 posters

Go down

Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow Warriors - Match report Empty Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow Warriors - Match report

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:26 pm

Courtesy of Rugbydreamer

It was an evening to forget at the Liberty Stadium for home side Ospreys. Error after error and a tame start by their usually fearsome pack gifted possession and momentum to Glasgow.

A long kick down field and a brilliant take from DTH van der Merwe saw him easily slip an Ospreys tackle to race down the length of the pitch to score. Ospreys wing Dirksen would have been better served to have chased back to stop a try, instead of complaining at the officials about a suspected block that wasn’t.

The first half got progressively worse for the Ospreys as any attempt to form an attack was easily nullified by a superb Glasgow defensive display, and a standout performance from no 7 Chris Fusaro helped momentum stay with the visitors.

Pressure from Glasgow soon told when the Ospreys had a defensive scrum close to their line. Webb spilled the ball, and bafflingly he turned to appeal to the referee to claim he had been interfered with. Glasgow, rightly playing to the whistle, scooped up the loose ball and crossed easily for a try, breaking through the tackle of prop Aaron Jarvis.

The game continued to stutter in an error strewn affair, with Glasgow adding an extra 3. Half time came with the home side trailing 15 – 0.

The Ospreys started the second half with the passion and commitment that they had failed to show in the first, yet despite an increase in possession and territory, they failed to convert any of their chances. Then in a period of defending, Webb obstructed an attacking Glasgow player and was duly sent to the bin. He was replaced by Kahn Fotuali’i when his ten minutes were up.

The introduction of squad captain Alun Wyn Jones to the pitch gave the Ospreys the drive they needed to finally get points on the board. A strong driving maul resulted in a Glasgow yellow card for James Eddie when it was brought down just short and a few phases later Ian Evans was able to crash over to score. Dan Biggar converted.

No sooner had they scored when Glasgow hit back with a second try for DTH van de Merwe. Hibbard looked to have done enough in tackling him low, but he was not held and showing great strength and awareness he crossed for a well taken try, with Weir again converting.

Full article up here: http://v2journal.com/ospreys-rugby-10-28-glasgow-warriors.html

Last edited by Thomond on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow Warriors - Match report Empty Re: Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow Warriors - Match report

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:32 pm

Who all have Ospreys lost in the last two season - something like:

Mike Phillips, Tommy Bowe, Shane Williams, Paul James, Lee Byrne, James Hook and others I'm sure. They have replaced these players with diddly squat except for academy prospects. Bringing academy prospects through always seems a great idea but not if they just get beaten every week because there are no top players to bolster the side. Going to be a long season for the O's.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow Warriors - Match report Empty Re: Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow Warriors - Match report

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:34 pm

Looks like it Dodger. I thought they had more in their academy to bring through but they've let go solid squad players like Gareth Owen, Kristian Phillips and Barry Davies too so they really are thin on the ground now. Got to say I'm quite surprised. Thought they would struggle a bit but not this much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:35 pm

They have some fine academy prospects and they needed to get rid of those guys, to change the image of the club. Their pack is one of the best in Europe they won't struggle too much I don't think a bumpy start but should improve.

Are still a top side imo

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

THey've lost Paul James though T, and with the bulk of their forwards missing with internationals for 3+months of the season...

I dunno, i thought they'd start better, the fact they haven't, and lost 2 at home (pretty unheard of last season!) is just not good.

Confidence is the main thing though, especially in the backs. Get that back and those spilled passes will start going to hand and they'll look a damn site better. They need to win to get that confidence back though and that's the problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:40 pm

With Scarlets next week I think they will lose 4 from 4. I agree Dreamer, Paul James is a big loss and with Adam Jones missing as well both at the start of the season and for periods throughout the season their front row looks very ordinary. With their first team all playing they are still a good side but having lost both top players and good covering players like the ones you mentioned I struggle to see them making the top 4 especially having lost their opening 4 games. (Assuming they lose at Parc Y Scarlets next week).

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:42 pm

Well if they're able to make the step up for a game then it will be against the Scarlets. If they all play with the same attitude as AWJ showed it'll be a close one.

I really thought they'd be a top 4 side again this season. It's still really early on in the season but they've got to stop the rot asap (just not next week Wink ) if they're going to really challenge.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

Blwdi hell... Just watched. Bad day.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:57 pm

Great result for Glasgow this. Will watch the highlights this evening, but that's a great result regardless of the current state of the Ospreys.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

Bah! Another thread title with score. Doesn't bother me personally as I already knew it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:13 pm

Sorry Jen, tis only because it was the official match report from the journal OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:21 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Bah! Another thread title with score. Doesn't bother me personally as I already knew it.

Hmmmm. Come on now Jen. We all remember your result reveal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

Ah no worries. I'm just trying to get people to think is all. Last time I gave out about it I ended up doing it myself the next day

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Bah! Another thread title with score. Doesn't bother me personally as I already knew it.

Hmmmm. Come on now Jen. We all remember your result reveal.
Ah. Someone beat me to it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:31 pm

RD: a block that wasn't on Dirksen. Have to disagree with you there.

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

I will say he should play the whistle mind :-D

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:35 pm

ha that's fair enough! I just don't think it was a big enough a block to really effect his play. It's not like he barged him over or anything Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:43 pm

No definitely not. The Glasgow player made no attempt to move for the ball as he was watching Dirksen mind. I still the Dirksen should have tried to run through him. It would have drawn the attention of the ref more than waving his arms =/

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm

The Weegie player simply ran across Dirksen's path, as he is entitled to do - no doubt he would say he was moving to the outside of DTH to line up on his outside

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:47 pm

ha yes waving his arms while watching an opponent racing down the pitch to score and not bothering to chase - couldn't believe what I was watching! Not as bad as Webb later on mind but still.

Tis juts the wrong attitude to bring to the pitch I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:47 pm

Asbo - agreed, don't think there was much in it at all myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:49 pm

RD

That Webb incident infuriates me... IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK HAPPENED THE FECKING WHISTLE HASN'T GONE YOU PETULANT LITTLE ****

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:50 pm

Exactly Bluesman, made even more ridiculous that it was an O's heel that he caught the ball on anyway, no interference from Glasgow at all. So stupid.

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

Jesus whats happening to the Ospreys, losing home games for fun.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:56 pm

I try not to think about it RD... But if I was an O's tight 5 player I would've given him an absolute hiding post game, as I wouldve done to Hibbard Beck was it? who both allowed DTH to stroll by over the whitewash!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

Asbo. How can u line up outside someone when ur in front of them and stop moving as soon as you are directly in front of them. He also stopped as soon as he was directly in front I.e block

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 16 Sep 2012, 8:07 pm

Sheephead, I thought he kept on moving across the pitch myself, altho there was no doubt that he was trying to be an obstacle. I assume he was imagining that DTH would fly past him pretty quickly

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Sun 16 Sep 2012, 8:29 pm

:-S im going to stop there because you are seeing something completely different. Congratulations on the win. On a different note. If I ever here one of my Scottish friend mention Byrne dive in the 6N game I will definitely drag up footage of this game. The player going down like a sack of spuds with the Webb yellow and the player holding his dace after Gough ran into him??

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down