The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Prof. Sid Watkins

3 posters

Go down

RIP Prof. Sid Watkins Empty RIP Prof. Sid Watkins

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 am

Some incredibly sad news to report is that Professor Sid Watkins, who was at the forefront of Formula 1 safety for more than 30 years, has died aged 84.

The neurosurgeon, who was a close friend of the late three-time champion Ayrton Senna, served as the sport's medical delegate from 1978 until 2004. As trackside doctor, he played a major role in saving the lives of several grand prix drivers after heavy crashes. Among them were Ferrari's Didier Pironi at the 1982 German Grand Prix, Jordan's Rubens Barrichello at Imola in 1994 and McLaren's Mika Hakkinen at Adelaide in 1995.

"It was Sid Watkins that saved my life in Imola 94," said Barrichello on Twitter. "Great guy to be with, always happy. Thanks for everything you have done for us drivers. RIP."

He will mostly be remembered for attending the scene of Senna's crash at Imola. After Senna's death, Watkins later revealed, "He looked serene. I raised his eyelids and it was clear from his pupils that he had a massive brain injury. We lifted him from the cockpit and laid him on the ground. As we did, he sighed and, although I am totally agnostic, I felt his soul depart at that moment."

RIP Sid Watkins - Gone but not forgotten.

Back to top Go down

RIP Prof. Sid Watkins Empty Re: RIP Prof. Sid Watkins

Post by Bull Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:47 am

RIP rose

Thoughts with his family

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:11 pm

RIP

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Sad news indeed. One of the unsung heroes of F1 who did as much as anyone to further safety in the sport and probably directly responsible for saving the lives of at least 2 or 3 drivers.

His successor has some very big shoes to fill.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down