The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament

+5
JDizzle
LondonTiger
Biltong
Mad for Chelsea
Shelsey93
9 posters

Go down

ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament Empty ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 am

After the most sensational summer of sport one could possibly imagine, its finally cricket’s turn to step in to the global spotlight. The ICC World Twenty20 is back for its fourth edition - the third at which the women will be involved as well as the men - and it promises to offer two and a half weeks of fantastic cricket, and most importantly plenty of fun. In this first of three preview articles I look ahead to the women’s tournament, which might just offer yet more English success in the Indian summer of 2012.

Holding the women’s tournament at the same time as the men’s is a fantastic way of promoting the ladies game. As well as reducing the costs of running the event, it allows a captive media and television audience to enjoy a fast improving branch of the game, and therefore for the exceptionally talented players to take their places in the spotlight. The semi-finals and finals take place before their male equivalents, using a formula used to some success for women’s international matches in England, Australia and New Zealand. Unlike the men’s tournament there are only eight teams participating and so go straight into two groups of four and then onwards to the knock-out stages. England are joined by Australia, India and Pakistan in Group A, with New Zealand, West Indies, South Africa and hosts Sri Lanka making up Group B.

The favourites

England will undoubtedly go into this event as heavy favourites. Charlotte Edwards’s team have won their last eighteen completed fixtures and, on the evidence of this summer, are as far ahead of the field as Sarah Storey was for Great Britain in the Paralympic cycling (a long way for those that weren’t watching!).

The team benefit from fantastic levels of funding from the ECB these days, and all of the players are now near enough professional cricketers. Like the men’s setup they have an extensive coaching team - Mark Lane plays Andy Flower and Cookie Patel fills Richard Halsall’s role - and it is clear that as a result of these factors they are comfortably the best drilled unit. Edwards herself has been a fantastic batter for a number of years as well as an inspiration to the team, whilst Laura Marsh and Sarah Taylor are comfortable with scoring at a good rate - something which some of England’s opponents have struggled with. Katherine Brunt and Anya Shrubsole form the most fearsome new ball pair in the women’s game, although with this tournament being staged on the traditionally spin-friendly ground in Galle, it is very likely that one of Marsh, Holly Colvin or Danielle Wyatt will bowl spin with the new nut.

And if you thought that was all bases covered its not. Lydia Greenway is perhaps the one fielder in the world - male or female - to keep an eye on over the coming weeks; some of her work in the outfield during the recent matches against India would have been impressive from any male cricketer. And Sarah Taylor is not only fast becoming the world’s best batter but is the women’s games best ‘keeper too.

Overall, England would appear champions elect already. But they messed up in the last World Twenty20 - going out in the group stage after a loss to West Indies - and will know that in this form of the game anything can happen. They’ll also need to be wary of how they go in Asian conditions - the make up of their team suggests that they shouldn’t be a problem, but its true that many of the last eighteen wins have come in England, Australia and New Zealand.

The pretenders

After beating New Zealand 4-0 in a home series earlier this year, its Australia that will lead the chasing pack. Included in their ranks are Ellyse Perry, who has also played international football, and is a very useful right-arm seam bowler. Other players to watch out for include Lisa Sthalekar, an experienced off-spinning all-rounder who played a key part in her team’s 2010 success and Alyssa Healy, niece of fellow wicket-keeper Ian, who scored 90 in a recent Twenty20 International against India in Asian conditions. All being well they would expect to make the final, and they’ll be telling themselves that anything can happen after that.

New Zealand are a team in decline but can still expect to put up a decent showing in this event, and would certainly expect to win Group B. Captain Suzie Bates, who hit 168 in a Super Six match at the 2009 World Cup aged just 22 and represented New Zealand in Basketball at the Beijing Olympics, remains one of the stars of the women’s game and if she really gets going could prompt an upset in the semi-finals. However, a number of retirements have weakened the team overall, putting a lot of pressure on Bates, wicket-keeper Sara McGlashan (brother of one time Black Cap Peter) and the experienced all-rounder Amy Satterthwaite.

Shane Warne once said that Monty Panesar hadn’t played 30 Tests; instead he’d played the same Test 30 times. And that can also be said of India’s Women’s Twenty20 team. In the form of Mithali Raj, who with a superb technique would appreciate less focus on the shortest form of the game, and tall fast bowler Jhulan Goswami they have two of the leading lights of the women’s game. But as a team they constantly post under-par totals in the 110 region, and lack the depth of bowling to make a sustained impact against the best teams. Any hope for this tournament is therefore likely to rest on being the most at home in Asian conditions among the top five. Whether that will be enough to take home the trophy is highly doubtful.

West Indies surpassed all expectations in reaching the semi-finals of their home World Twenty20 two years ago. Unlike India they like to play their shots, but, on the evidence of their ongoing series in England that is unlikely to get them out of trouble. They will expect to get out of the easier Group B though, and with Stefanie Taylor, the 21 year-old batting all-rounder who has been nominated for the ICC’s Cricketer of the Year in their ranks, will have hopes of perhaps beating the Kiwis. They are a young side, with most of the squad in their late teens and early twenties, but despite their shock victory over England in 2010, it is hard to see them reaching the final this time round.

The outsiders

Pakistan, South Africa and Sri Lanka are perennial outsiders in the women’s game, largely because of a lack of funding from their respective boards. Given the health of South Africa’s men’s team it is probably most disappointing to see that they have failed to make any impact at all on the ladies game. Recent defeats to Bangladesh, who failed to qualify, suggest that an immediate improvement is beyond them. Meanwhile, Pakistan were roundly beaten by England in two recent matches, and also lost to both England’s Academy and Under-19 sides on the tour. Sri Lanka can at least claim home advantage in their favour but a win over South Africa must be their only realistic target.

Overall, it would be foolish to put money on anybody other than Charlotte Edwards’s England girls. But Twenty20 is a funny old game and an upset shouldn’t be ruled out. Whatever happens the tournament is sure to continue the promotion of the women’s game, and holding it in Sri Lanka, a country without a tradition in women’s cricket, could be what is needed to accelerate the global growth of a form of the game which allows female cricketers to demonstrate how good they now really are.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament Empty Re: ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am

as a keeper, I'm a massive fan of Sarah Taylor: amazingly fast hands, the first stumping she pulled off the other day was Dhoni-esque, wonderful stuff. She also played a pretty useful knock with the bat, seems to have more shots than the other girls: the chipped four over extra-cover was a thing of sheer beauty, and I really enjoyed the scoop she played over short fine-leg too. My favourite female player by a long distance at the moment Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament Empty Re: ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:37 am

as for the tournament itself, like you I find it hard to see past England. They've got a very good batting line-up, a well-balanced bowling attack which should do well in Sri Lankan conditions, and the best fielding side in the world by some distance (so important in T20). 18 wins on the bounce is seriously impressive stuff Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:41 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:My favourite female player by a long distance at the moment Very Happy

I'm still not sure I can quite look past Danni Wyatt Very Happy But she's a close second!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 am

Nice write up shelsey, from a South african perspective Women's cricket gets no airtime, no marketing and no exposure.

In fact I have never seen them play. You are right about funding.

The problem with SA cricket is tat even the smaller clubs face extinction as they get nearly no money from CSA, so they need to do fundraisers etc to keep alive.

Considering that, they don't have women's cricket at those clubs.

So I doubt Women's cricket in SA will progress much at all if someone doesn't start doing the hard yards into the development of club cricket.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:My favourite female player by a long distance at the moment Very Happy

I'm still not sure I can quite look past Danni Wyatt Very Happy But she's a close second!

ah but Danni Wyatt has the hots for Bumble!!!!

I am guessing this tournament will be Charlotte Edwards swansong. Certainly her batting recently has looked a little laboured.

Sarah Taylor however has kicked on phenomenally well. Her runs have filled the gap left by Clare Taylors retirement, while her keeping is top notch.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Danni Wyatt is overrated. Shelsey mentioned her in his write up, but Ellyse Perry of Australia is the one to look out for!

I watched the T20 the other day and Sarah Taylor's knock was amazing. An absolute array of shots all round the wicket and she just looked a class act. My favourite was when she came down the pitch to the spinner, but didn't quite get there but she kept her composure and held her shape and just punched it through extra cover. It was a thing of beauty. I'm not that qualified to comment on keeping, but she looked pretty good at that too! Very Happy

Lydia Greenway is England's key player for me. Not only is she the best fielder in the woman's game by an absolute country mile, and the rest of the England team aren't bad, she is a brilliant batsman who is up there with Edwards and Taylor as out best player. Her scoring quick runs late in the innings could be crucial.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:23 pm

JDizzle wrote:Danni Wyatt is overrated. Shelsey mentioned her in his write up, but Ellyse Perry of Australia is the one to look out for!

apparently Ellyse Perry looks like Stuart Broad :O

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=151323

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Laugh I can actually see that. Not a bad shout.

Spoiler:

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Dead ringers for each other Very Happy

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote: She also played a pretty useful knock with the bat

I understand theres a few good knockers in the team

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote: She also played a pretty useful knock with the bat

I understand theres a few good knockers in the team

And I thought it was only me stuck in the 1970s!

Anyway, Peter, if you PM Skyeman I'm sure he'll be happy to provide details of the equality and diversity programme he recently attended ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 pm

ICC World Twenty20 Preview - Part 1: Women's tournament Boobs It helped me a wee bit Laugh

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Just to bring the thread slightly back towards the actual subject of women playing cricket, I think this is probably the best piece of individual fielding I have seen whether that be men or women!

Spoiler:

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Another one here from the same series - just to show it wasn't a flash in the pan:

Spoiler:

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Both very impressive.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Shelsey. Excellent article, thank you. Very informative.

Follow up comments of variable quality.... Erm The fielding was outstanding... thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Shelsey. Excellent article, thank you. Very informative.

Follow up comments of various quality.... Erm The fielding was outstanding... thumbsup

Sorry yes, the womens team will always have its knockers but deserves the same respect we accord to Ravi Bopara

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Shelsey. Excellent article, thank you. Very informative.

Follow up comments of various quality.... Erm The fielding was outstanding... thumbsup

Sorry yes, the womens team will always have its knockers but deserves the same respect we accord to Ravi Bopara

OUCH!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down