The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tedious Puns For Lions?

+11
propdavid_london
Submachine
SecretFly
maestegmafia
Biltong
Jimpy
HammerofThunor
rainbow-warrior
mowgli
Looseheaded
anotherworldofpain
15 posters

Go down

Tedious Puns For Lions? Empty Tedious Puns For Lions?

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:17 am

With another Lions tour approaching, do you too, prey the media in general will be able to, just for one time, avoiding the usual pride of toothless Lions puns? or will they roar out in force before the tour and turn to feeble pussycats yet again at the first sign of a claw-clipping, pride wounding, toothless defeat? will the hunter become the hunted yet again? or will the pack be so fierce that the Wallaby forwards will look like Dandy-Lions? Should we be Simba-thetic to the plight of a journalist faced with the ferocious challenge of avoiding writing another copy-cat article?

Oh come on, I must have miss some. Can we get them out of the woodwork now before they make me cringe when I read the newspapers please?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Tedious Puns For Lions? Empty Re: Tedious Puns For Lions?

Post by Looseheaded Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:34 am

AWOP your language has really deteriorated over the past few days. Sorry to see this.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Tue 11 Sep 2012, 5:35 am

What a pile of (Lion's) shoite this thread is

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:12 am

Forgive my ignorance, but how did the lion become a symbol for England? Seems a bit unfair to be stealing an african animal like that. I know they have badgers and squirrels over there.

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:17 am

ebop wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but how did the lion become a symbol for England? Seems a bit unfair to be stealing an african animal like that. I know they have badgers and squirrels over there.

Obviously you have not sen the NZ made docco shown last year!!! The Kiwi is Australian, in face the only thing NZ have are Penguins. censored
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:34 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but how did the lion become a symbol for England? Seems a bit unfair to be stealing an african animal like that. I know they have badgers and squirrels over there.

Obviously you have not sen the NZ made docco shown last year!!! The Kiwi is Australian, in face the only thing NZ have are Penguins. censored
You mean like when NZ was part of Gondwana many millions of years ago and then broke away? Got me there rainbow kiss

So, tell me about the lions and western Europe.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:35 am

The Lion is Scotland. The English one is Leopard. Although this comes from a point in time when they didn't really know the difference. Also these were mostly brought over by the French Norman invaders who became the Lords. St. George was Palastinian and I don't think he ever came anywhere near England. Same with the flag....but does anyone really give a Poopie about all of these trappings? I'm not much of a nationalist and a name does me.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:48 am

Sweet, thanks HoT, had a feeling it was something like that, just shows an interesting history and a far cry from anything we'll ever have.

Sorry don't have a lion pun, AWoP nailed them all.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:50 am

Posh people used to put pictures of scary animals on the stuff to make themselves look hard. Now our rugby players do it. No difference really.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:14 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:With another Lions tour approaching, do you too, prey the media in general will be able to, just for one time, avoiding the usual pride of toothless Lions puns? or will they roar out in force before the tour and turn to feeble pussycats yet again at the first sign of a claw-clipping, pride wounding, toothless defeat? will the hunter become the hunted yet again? or will the pack be so fierce that the Wallaby forwards will look like Dandy-Lions? Should we be Simba-thetic to the plight of a journalist faced with the ferocious challenge of avoiding writing another copy-cat article?

Oh come on, I must have miss some. Can we get them out of the woodwork now before they make me cringe when I read the newspapers please?

You can read?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:40 am

Will the Lions feed tonight?

They had the Lions share of possession.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:05 am

Ah got one, those pesky wallabies are lion all over the ball picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:06 am

Laugh
ebop wrote:Ah got one, those pesky wallabies are lion all over the ball picard
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:11 am

ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

You mean like when NZ was part of Gondwana many millions of years ago and then broke away? Got me there rainbow kiss

If it was Gondwana I would not have mentioned Australia! You really need to study your own countrys natural history. As stated there is a good docco on the subject and plenty of evidence should you pull your head ot of the sand....................oh no thats an Ostrich Whistle
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:30 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

If it was Gondwana I would not have mentioned Australia! You really need to study your own countrys natural history. As stated there is a good docco on the subject and plenty of evidence should you pull your head ot of the sand....................oh no thats an Ostrich Whistle
Fair dues, they must have flown across.

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:33 am

ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

Correct, just like the Pukeko.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:43 am

I couldn't think of a pun that incorporated the phrase 'anachronistic tedium'.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:46 am

Jimpy wrote:I couldn't think of a pun that incorporated the phrase 'anachronistic tedium'.
ha ha ha

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

Well the Lions are destined for failure, because all pussys get Fkd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:53 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

Ummm, think you're right about the pukeko but not the kiwi. Kiwis have been in NZ for +50 million years and are ratites (which can't fly), the pukeko (which can fly) for around 1,000 years.

http://terranature.org/kiwi1.htm

Right, let's get stuck into some lions puns

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:59 am

ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

Ummm, think you're right about the pukeko but not the kiwi. Kiwis have been in NZ for +50 million years and are ratites (which can't fly), the pukeko (which can fly) for around 1,000 years.

http://terranature.org/kiwi1.htm

Right, let's get stuck into some lions puns

Sorry just like the Pav, the Kiwi is Aussie in origins.

It was long presumed that the kiwi was closely related to the other New Zealand ratites, the moa. However, recent DNA studies indicate that the Ostrich is more closely related to the moa and the kiwi is more closely related to the Emu and the cassowaries. This theory suggests that the ancestors of the kiwi arrived in New Zealand from elsewhere in Australasia well after the moa. According to British scientists, the kiwi may be an ancient import from Australia. Researchers at Oxford University have found DNA evidence connected to Australia's Emu and the Ostrich of Africa. Upon examining DNA from the moa, they believe that the kiwi is more closely related to its Australian cousins.[4]
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:With another Lions tour approaching, do you too, prey the media in general will be able to, just for one time, avoiding the usual pride of toothless Lions puns? or will they roar out in force before the tour and turn to feeble pussycats yet again at the first sign of a claw-clipping, pride wounding, toothless defeat? will the hunter become the hunted yet again? or will the pack be so fierce that the Wallaby forwards will look like Dandy-Lions? Should we be Simba-thetic to the plight of a journalist faced with the ferocious challenge of avoiding writing another copy-cat article?

This guy..... this guy! Manuel to Shakespeare in a few short months of intensive 606 English lessons. Remarkable progress.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

Thanks Secret! I work so hard on it and I am glad there is much success to celebrate! It's like when Scotland went from 6N wooden spoon to knocking over Australia at home! or when in one week Australia went from losing to 6N wooden spooners Scotland to beating 6N champions Wales 3-0!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:47 am

OK, national animals

Ireland - Stag or Wolfhound
Fair 'nuff

England - Bulldog
Grand

Scotland - Unicorn
A bleedin Unicorn?

Wales - Welsh Harlequin
It's a Duck

True story

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Posh people used to put pictures of scary animals on the stuff to make themselves look hard. Now our rugby players do it. No difference really.

Like the Red Rose - Oooh those sharp thorns
Dont even start me on the thistle.

Dafs and 4-leaf clovers - not so scary.

The mighty man sausage - now that is a fearsom beast for the French.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:09 pm

I think in the mane the Lions will be too slow to react to our often underestimated forward pack of convict-hooli-waddies and the nimble footed rock wallaby backline, who have remarkably good hearing by the way.

There should be be no Joy Adamson for the Lions (except for the Welsh variety of stripey, wingey, ginger Port Cat maybe) when they confront our clade of beer-swilling extant metatherians, who are predominantly grass-eaters; but on ocassion will eat meat when the situation demands. Or Elsa, whatever you put in front of them. They are not fussy eaters.

I'm not claiming we are Sinodelphys szalayi. Far from it.

I believe Andy Murray proved that point today when he crossed the Tethyan Trench unscathed and still managed a twitch of his whiskers.
He certainly is Living Free now.

And then there's Rory Mac who said that he would make a decision on it in the next few years and he'll let us know when that happens.

So it's not all doom & gloom. Serengeti plays an important part in all of this, remember?

That just leaves Gatland's ow'un pride at steak - but will he go for a full roar or a loud miaow?
Will he appoint Dr Marsh Tracy as his assistant coach and Judy as set piece coach? So many questions to be answered that's for sure.

The Australidelphian marsupials will be hoping for a repeat of 2001 when the shrew opposums severely mauled the inexperienced group of clay kittens you sent over here last time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:42 pm

Linebreaker has turned into Eddie Butler.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

If he was Eddie Butler he would have said Henman instead of Murray, etc.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:53 pm

The Israeli singer?
Oh him... nah. Nor Chris Rattue.
More of a Colin Cotterill or Kel Richards.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

Really? It makes sense when you read it with Edie Butlers accent and gait and imagine a partially irrelevant montage of sunset views of the great dividing range and gold coast beaches juxtaposed against Connemara peat bogs in the rain.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:00 pm

It could work that way too I suppose AWOP. Interesting take on it.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 3:27 pm

Lions vs Wallabies.

I know which one I'd have my money on in the wild.

At least this way our symbolism can never lose out to anyone else's. No 3-0 trouncings by natural kiwis or even narrow 2-1 losses to a pack of wily thuggish springboks who go for the eyes Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:05 pm

The prospect of Shane Williams going on this tour is stirring my lions (50 quid says he goes)

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:09 pm

60 quid for the smart pun!...best one I've read so far..although, I'll admit I've only read pain's before that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Tue 11 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

SecretFly wrote:60 quid for the smart pun!...best one I've read so far..although, I'll admit I've only read pain's before that.

done!! thumbsup

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:50 pm

I reckon once Gatland lands in Oz he'll want to prowl around a few of the stadia. Whilst he know that the dirt trackers will want to put on a good show in the midweek matches, the tests will give him and the Lions paws for thought. No doubt some of them can't wait to sink their teeth into some Australian hides. some Australian clubs won't have furgotten the last time the Lions roamed on their patch, and their pride will be at steak when they meat. But so long as they cub together, the pack of lions should be able to nibble on some waratahs before the mane feast of roast weakend wallaby.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:33 pm

I thought that was just a typo not a pun.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm

On arival in NZ the Lions squad will be met with a traditional Maori welcome. Captain Chris Robshaw wil be offered the opportunity to participate in a traditional battle challenge.

His response; "Haka? No mate. Ta, ta."

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down