The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Eubank JR

+11
Lance
TRUSSMAN66
Gordy
eddyfightfan
milkyboy
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TopHat24/7
horizontalhero
TheMackemMawler
azania
hampo17
15 posters

Go down

Chris Eubank JR Empty Chris Eubank JR

Post by hampo17 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:47 pm

Just saw on twitter that he's been sparring with Degale and according to the man himself he schooled him, obviously a bit of bravado talking but it's not often we hear young, rookie fighters openly admit they schooled someone like Degale. Anyway could this be a future fight? How would you guys see this one going if it does happen?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chris Eubank JR Empty Re: Chris Eubank JR

Post by azania Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:49 pm

Degale would spank him. Too cute and clever. Eubank is improving but will fall short of true world class.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:31 pm

He's fast but he's a powder puff puncher.

Degale would be the one doing the schooling in a competitive bout.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:32 pm

Agree that in a real fight Degale would school him at the present time, but for a novice Jr seems to be coming on nicely, and whilst he has yet to develop real punching power, he does seem to have been matched with some pretty durable men. If he was fed the usual diet of tomato cans his ko stats would probably be better.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:48 am

Its great to see him on undercards. I think Warren would have him headlining bills. The man's gaul is incredible.

I'd like to see Eubank test himself against a guy in the weight division below.....Joe Selkirk, the Scouse light-middle.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:29 am

Thing is, whilst Jr's punch power looks no great shakes that the moment (and I don't think he'll ever be a 1 punch ko guy but accumulation TKO, like DeGale funnily enough) it's slightly unfair to totally write-off his punch-power at this stage because he has been tougher matched than any novice I can think off in recent years.

Normally a youngster coming through like him, especially one with a name/gimmick/USP, will be fed absolute bums in his first half a dozen fights so he can build up something like a 6-0-0 (6) record. Maybe it's because of his lack of amateur experience that they want him to get rounds under his belt early in his career whilst he's still learning - a strategy that's proved successful so far.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:37 am

Are we being serious here or what!?

The opponents Jr has faced are hardly even domestic level.

He has been expected to blow them away and the fact he is struggling with such poor opposition is a bit of a warning sign that he is going to lose pretty soon. Hes actually lucky not to have a loss already.

The way I see it is, if Eubank Jr was anywhere near the fighter we are lead to believe, he would not be fighting under Mick Hennessy banners. Matchroom or Warren would have got in there first.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:03 pm

I think groves was raving over him after a sparring session a while back, from this we can deduce... Groves and de gale aren't all that and/or Eubanks junior is better in sparring than he is in a real fight.

Ought to keep his trap shut about sparring performances... Though maybe he just thinks chunky is as big a tw*t as the rest of us, and wants to embarrass him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:05 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Are we being serious here or what!?

He has been expected to blow them away and the fact he is struggling with such poor opposition is a bit of a warning sign that he is going to lose pretty soon. Hes actually lucky not to have a loss already.

The way I see it is, if Eubank Jr was anywhere near the fighter we are lead to believe, he would not be fighting under Mick Hennessy banners. Matchroom or Warren would have got in there first.

Hennesey brings C5 and greater exposure. Warren and BN would be a disaster. Plus I reckon Hennessey takes a smaller cut than the rest. As soon (if) he is established, he will go where the money is and it wont be hennessey.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:19 pm

But Matchroom bring the glitz and the glamour of Sky.

Fighting on what looks like in the back of a barn on a 80's style production on Channel 5 may build a fan base, but I think Hennessy is failing to get him the right opponents to make him look good. These opponents are the type that SHOULD be blasted away. Yet Junior is fighting tooth and nail with them. I think Hennessy is doing a woeful job so far as expected.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

C5 brings the numebrs and exposure. Plus he will be a big fish in a little pond as opposed to the other way around on Sky. Plus Eddie is an ar$e.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:42 pm

Eddie may well be an a%se. But I think showing Eubanks fights so early on is a bit of a mistake. As he has pretty big shoes to fill in regards to his old man.

I think Hennessy should have thought about maybe showing highlights of his fights after the Fury fight or the best parts like Sky do with some undercard fights.

This way it makes the average viewer think that Junior is better than he is, instead of his every flaw being broadcast to millions when he is supposed to be learning and it shouldn't really count. He isn't going to get the same sympathy as others may get when he struggles.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:47 pm

I reckon it was C5s decision to get more viewers. Sky would do the same thing and to be fair his name alone means viewers, especially as he copies Snr in almost everything he does.

He will always be judged according to Snr anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:53 pm

"He will always be judged according to Snr anyway."

He didn't really help it either by choosing his dads theme music and doing the leep of the ropes.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

That's his downfall. But it adds self belief and good for the kid if he believes he will be the best there is. I like confident fighters.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:25 pm

come on dee give him a break, fighting a debut against a guy with 24 pro fights then facing opponents who all have winning records is EXTREMELY rare. also he has KO'd 2 of his 5 opponents and won one with one hand. id say eubank was thown in the deep end and has looked great so far. also fights often which is nice to see. can see him challenging for a title in his next 2-3 fights

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:36 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:

come on dee give him a break, fighting a debut against a guy with 24 pro fights then facing opponents who all have winning records is EXTREMELY rare. also he has KO'd 2 of his 5 opponents and won one with one hand. id say eubank was thown in the deep end and has looked great so far. also fights often which is nice to see. can see him challenging for a title in his next 2-3 fights

Agree to a large extent. But why put him in any title shot? Even southern area? As soon as he has a belt of any description, he becomes a target. Let the kid have 10-15 more fights against average opposition to learn. He had only 20 odd amateur fights.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:49 pm

totally agree, but the rate he is improving in opposition thats the way its looking. i think right now he loses the first time he comes up against a serious opponent but build up correct he could go all the way. look at any top pro and see what they were doing 6 fights in and i bet you wouldnt guess where they ended up.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

Its downright silly to suggest he could be anything as good as his old man who was a great boxer. But he obviously comes from some stock so there should be talent there. But come on, he will always just be a hyped up imitation of his father.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:20 pm

Gordy have you ever thought of taking out a patent??

I mean someone else might come on here and usurp your position as 606's greatest dumbass....

and you won't have a leg to stand on!!!!

Eubank was quality but to suggest his Son can't be better...

well........ tomato

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:45 pm

Gordy wrote:Its downright silly to suggest he could be anything as good as his old man who was a great boxer. But he obviously comes from some stock so there should be talent there. But come on, he will always just be a hyped up imitation of his father.

Chris Eubank JR 3933776953

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:47 pm

can i borrow your crystal ball gordy.

and just for the record in chris snr's first 5 fights he didnt knock anyone out and scraped a MD in one, 3 were against fighters making a debut one lost 5 fights and never won or drew and the other was 1-1-0. he had 9 fights before he took on a opponent with a winning record (2-1-0)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:55 pm

been disappointed with jnr so far. he sounds like a world class boxer in the gym but has struggled with journeymen so far. i dont think he has the stomach for it. certainly not to be an entertainer like his father, the sooner he loses the gimmick and finds his own style the better.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:59 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Eddie may well be an a%se. But I think showing Eubanks fights so early on is a bit of a mistake. As he has pretty big shoes to fill in regards to his old man.

I think Hennessy should have thought about maybe showing highlights of his fights after the Fury fight or the best parts like Sky do with some undercard fights.

This way it makes the average viewer think that Junior is better than he is, instead of his every flaw being broadcast to millions when he is supposed to be learning and it shouldn't really count. He isn't going to get the same sympathy as others may get when he struggles.

I think he's alright. He's a fan and makes a good living out of it.

I say, fair play.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Eddie may well be an a%se. But I think showing Eubanks fights so early on is a bit of a mistake. As he has pretty big shoes to fill in regards to his old man.

pretty much sums up amir khans career there. hes made plenty of money out of it though, seems thats all the eubanks are really after. it was a career choice for the family, they arent interested in the sporting element

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:42 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:can i borrow your crystal ball gordy.

and just for the record in chris snr's first 5 fights he didnt knock anyone out and scraped a MD in one, 3 were against fighters making a debut one lost 5 fights and never won or drew and the other was 1-1-0. he had 9 fights before he took on a opponent with a winning record (2-1-0)

Gordy doesn't let such fine details get in the way of a good BS story...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 11:55 am

Eubank jn becoming British champ and maybe even Euro champ is a possibility, I feel, in the future. This is a heck of an achievement for any boxer.
That basically is Degales level, so maybe in 3 or 4 years Eubank does school him in a competitive bout.
I think that degale is hanging around at euro level because most of the world class fighters are about to retire in the next couple of years ( Froch, Kessler, Bika, Stieglitz etc).

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 2:16 pm

aja424 wrote:Eubank jn becoming British champ and maybe even Euro champ is a possibility, I feel, in the future. This is a heck of an achievement for any boxer.
That basically is Degales level, so maybe in 3 or 4 years Eubank does school him in a competitive bout.
I think that degale is hanging around at euro level because most of the world class fighters are about to retire in the next couple of years ( Froch, Kessler, Bika, Stieglitz etc).

Degale is hanging around as he has no promoter and wants to leave his manager ... He will be world champ within 2 years..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 2:35 pm

tunes666 wrote:
aja424 wrote:Eubank jn becoming British champ and maybe even Euro champ is a possibility, I feel, in the future. This is a heck of an achievement for any boxer.

Degale is hanging around as he has no promoter and wants to leave his manager ... He will be world champ within 2 years..

A world champ, not THE world champ. Maybe.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

A world champ, not THE world champ. Maybe.

I think he needs a couple more world level,ish fights to really judge.. Currently going in with the likes of Froch would be too much of a jump.. But i think he could get here. He can box the pants off people but his defence is too lazy and nieve.. His power is not great but spiteful enough ..

Give him a few more fights and some more hard rounds and i can see him giving froch and co a run for their money but while Ward is around no one will be THE champs as i think he is top class... I also rate Groves but he seems to come unstuck too easy when hit.. And boxes like a cat in a corner..

As for Eubank jnr, too early to tell I think.. He will have as much pressure as a gold medallist purely because of his name, and he is doing ok..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

Think Groves' power is the difference maker between him and DeGale, added to the fact he can box to a gameplan better and is more likely to be able to adapt which DeGale has shown he clearly can't.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 3:53 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Think Groves' power is the difference maker between him and DeGale, added to the fact he can box to a gameplan better and is more likely to be able to adapt which DeGale has shown he clearly can't.

Cant say i agree, i think degale was unlucky not to get the win and would do he job in a rematch.. I do gink with power groves has the edge but he does not have as much technical ability than degale..

Currently i don't think either follow a game plan that well which is to be expected with 12/13 fights where you are still discovering weaknesses and stuff..

People say GG outboxed degale which i think was tripe as even if it was a fair result it was a SD.. They did not give groves enough respect in that fight and only realised it after the first four or five rounds when he had too claw his way back..

Thing is, i think Groves wont be able to bulldose the smarter boxers, where degale does not need too..
That being said Groves has got better and i rate booth, so maybe he is the man, i just think degale has all the tools ..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 07 Sep 2012, 4:06 pm

Whilst it is perhaps inevitable given his obvious issues with Frank that DeGale is not going to be particularly active, it is hugely unfortunate that he finds himself in such a situation because he is in a stage of his delivery where he really does not need it.

He still has enough talent to make an impact, my main worry with him would be his ego, apparently he does not lack for graft in the gym but in the wake of the Groves loss all you heard from him was how he did not deserve the decision to go against him. Personally I had Groves just nicking it but irrespective of this the fight did show some weaknesses in his game particularly in terms of adaptability, but I would not write him off just yet. Hopefully if he can get free of Frank he will find himself a lot busier and a new promoter and manager might just give him the boost in motivation and profile he needs.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 4:08 pm

tunes666 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Think Groves' power is the difference maker between him and DeGale, added to the fact he can box to a gameplan better and is more likely to be able to adapt which DeGale has shown he clearly can't.

Cant say i agree, i think degale was unlucky not to get the win and would do he job in a rematch.. I do gink with power groves has the edge but he does not have as much technical ability than degale..

Currently i don't think either follow a game plan that well which is to be expected with 12/13 fights where you are still discovering weaknesses and stuff..

People say GG outboxed degale which i think was tripe as even if it was a fair result it was a SD.. They did not give groves enough respect in that fight and only realised it after the first four or five rounds when he had too claw his way back..

Thing is, i think Groves wont be able to bulldose the smarter boxers, where degale does not need too..
That being said Groves has got better and i rate booth, so maybe he is the man, i just think degale has all the tools ..

Everyone said that the first time tho.......everyone was predicting a shut-out, even tho GG was already 1-0 with JDG. GG came out and showed excellent technical skills, v good game plan whereas JDG just looked lost.

Personally I had it to GG by one round, definitely tight, but I think that reflects the reality of the difference between them - i.e. nothing like the gulf JDG's supporters try to suggest. Personally I haven't noticed GG take a bull-dozing approach either, I don't think he's relying on power or pressure, he has genuine ability and uses it well.

Since they fought, Groves has looked much better against Sierra, fighting in the States, whereas DeGale looked a bit out of depth against the Euro journeyman he won his strap from. And their mutual opponent, Paul Smith, GG also did a much better job on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying GG is the next big thing or that JDG is a useless hype-job. Just that they're a lot closer talent/ability wise than most ppl give Groves credit for.

Expect a cracking world level grudge match between them within 3 yrs!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 4:47 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

Everyone said that the first time tho.......everyone was predicting a shut-out, even tho GG was already 1-0 with JDG. GG came out and showed excellent technical skills, v good game plan whereas JDG just looked lost.

Personally I had it to GG by one round, definitely tight, but I think that reflects the reality of the difference between them - i.e. nothing like the gulf JDG's supporters try to suggest. Personally I haven't noticed GG take a bull-dozing approach either, I don't think he's relying on power or pressure, he has genuine ability and uses it well.

Since they fought, Groves has looked much better against Sierra, fighting in the States, whereas DeGale looked a bit out of depth against the Euro journeyman he won his strap from. And their mutual opponent, Paul Smith, GG also did a much better job on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying GG is the next big thing or that JDG is a useless hype-job. Just that they're a lot closer talent/ability wise than most ppl give Groves credit for.

Expect a cracking world level grudge match between them within 3 yrs!

I think the fact Groves changed his style for the degale match does show some technical ability. But also shows alot of booths intelligence, i thought there were a couple rnds where groves had degale flustered as he new jd was good on the counter so was just on the back foot asking degale to come so he could throw quick counters pull back..

It was a good game plan but like i say degale did not have one for groves as they thought they would knock him out..

But in the fight they did change things and threw loads more punches and i think so many wanted degale to lose that it was like a home town decision.. I had degale win by 2 rounds..and thought groves done well but while boxing on the backfoot did not do enough to merit a win. I think a draw may been fair, just.. But coild not see how groves took it.

When i say bulldose i dont mean tyson style, i think he knows his chin is a little touchy and holds his hands low,but knows he has the power to win most open exchanges.. Why did he not do this with degale and boxon he back foot, he never even hurt degale and had degale threw more punches in the early mid rounds groves would have lost easy .. In the paul smith fight if the first round had gone on for another 30 secs he could have been in trouble.. Came back and knocked him out in the next rnd. So while his ability lets him knock these guys out, it can also be a worry for him.. In his last fight ghere were a few moments too, against fighters who are more smart and with defence i just see problems..

I need to see groves against solid euro opposition to maybe have a better perspective.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 5:01 pm

Sorry but, Olympic pedigree aside, I have not seen JDG put on any kind of technical masterclass of boxing. At the risk of sounding like Gordy, I think people are caught up in the hype because of the medal, he's shown no more technical ability in the fights I've seen him in than the fights I've seen Groves in. If he was such a wizard he wouldn't have struggled so terribly with the Euro journeyman, showed nothing in the fight.

Punch stats for their fight were JDG 72/378, GG 86/399. So despite the disciplined back-foot approach Groves out-threw, out-landed and out-accuracied (yes, I know that's not a word! lol) De Gale.

Spoiler:

Saying the De Gale camp simply didn't have the right plan and thought they'd knock him out is not an excuse. Especially when the reality is Groves holds a 2-0 record over him now, the result was no fluke.

As for Smith. Behave. The claxon went for 10 seconds and Groves got his count wrong and switched off too early, getting clipped practically on the way back to his stool. And his was furious with himself for it, you could see it in his face. If there'd been 30 more seconds there was more chance of him taking Smith out in a fit of blind rage than getting hurt himself.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Sorry but, Olympic pedigree aside, I have not seen JDG put on any kind of technical masterclass of boxing. At the risk of sounding like Gordy, I think people are caught up in the hype because of the medal, he's shown no more technical ability in the fights I've seen him in than the fights I've seen Groves in. If he was such a wizard he wouldn't have struggled so terribly with the Euro journeyman, showed nothing in the fight.

Punch stats for their fight were JDG 72/378, GG 86/399. So despite the disciplined back-foot approach Groves out-threw, out-landed and out-accuracied (yes, I know that's not a word! lol) De Gale.

Spoiler:

Saying the De Gale camp simply didn't have the right plan and thought they'd knock him out is not an excuse. Especially when the reality is Groves holds a 2-0 record over him now, the result was no fluke.

As for Smith. Behave. The claxon went for 10 seconds and Groves got his count wrong and switched off too early, getting clipped practically on the way back to his stool. And his was furious with himself for it, you could see it in his face. If there'd been 30 more seconds there was more chance of him taking Smith out in a fit of blind rage than getting hurt himself.

To do master class it has to be against great opposition.. No he has not produced a master class yet, we can only look st how he wins his fights and the tools he uses, likewise with gg..

Just look at the paul smith fights i know he is not great but degale went in his back yard, out boxed him for 9 rounds before it was stopped..

I dont think groves could have done that.. He needed to knock him out. Yes, you could say degale did not knock him out in two..

But the way i see it james Degale has a better chin, has the edge with combination speed, and they are very un predictable often doing very well switching stances .. He has enough power to not be charged down and looks like he could box how he does for 20 rounds... And a gold medal also brings allot of pressure and expectation which can make life harder as your there to knock down ..

Groves has heart, power and good speed, think his chin is suspect and if he faces someone who makes his bombs miss then he will be in trouble.. I also think his stamina needs testing as the longer the degale fight went on he was blowing.. Often the case with hard punchers.... Time will tell..

Both need to be fighting way more than they are, especially degale..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

How can any boxer seriously turn down TV exposure? Plus, Eubank Jr is really being showcased, which will do wonders for his confidence as he moves up in the level of opponent he fights. He wont be fazed.

I think he's doing really well. Sure, he's raw and needs to fight smarter, but he's exciting and has a chin and speed, attributes money can't buy. His dad will know when to move him onto another promoter, as Mick wont be taking him all the way, that's for sure.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down